Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-9 Rear Entertainment System

Comments

• pck19pck19 Posts: 2
    I bought a cx-9 with a nav and rses also. However, I cannot figure out how to use the rses with audio (without headset) for the kids in the back and listen to the radio myself in the front. Does the CX-9 have the ability for this or am I stuck listening to what the kids are watching. I have 3 kids and they cannot share one head set, nor will I shell out additional money for more. Thanks for your help. My manual does not indicate how to do this.
  • pck19pck19 Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2008 grand touring CX-9 with a DVD/NAV.
    While my children are watching a movie in the back, is there any possible way for me to allow them to listen to the DVD in the back speakers while I listen to the radio in the front speakers. I know this is allowable with the headset on. However, I have 3 boys and only one headset. Therefore, I am only able to use the speakers.
    Thanks
  • I don't think the MAZDA CX9 has this feature as far as I know.
  • agbiggsagbiggs Posts: 19
    If you go with an aftermarket DVD I think you can do this. I put in an Alpine unit (around $500, plus maybe $200 installation) and I think it can run independently of the stereo. Overall, glad I did this rather than go with the original equipment DVD.
  • pittguypittguy Posts: 1
    edited February 2011
    We're looking at a 2011 GT-AWD with factory moonroof + NAV, but also want RSES.

Has anyone had experience with aftermarket headrest DVD-monitor set-ups for the CX-9? I've seen a few different types, including an Audiovox, but am wondering about performance & reliabilty.
  • I was just quoted $1600 for a rear system, two DVD and wireless...BUT I haveseen sets with the DVD PLAYERS already in the headrests for $299...But not wireless, the one guy says they are not a "clean"install; as you have to plug into an outlet and wires running everywhere; I am NOT handy but this is too high; the dealer told me they can get it done for $1800; and the one guy said only ONE company can match my black leather and they ONLY sell two seperate DVD players, not one main and a monitor so I have to pay more for that to...help!!!!! I am in Atlanta. Dogdoc :confuse:
  • Do yourself a favor and just get portable dvd player and head rest holder instead. I thought about getting after market dvd player installed as well but lot of places hire people who are not skilled enough and some of them can actually mess up your new car. I bought Panasonic 8.5" portable dvd player that has long play time and headrest player holder for less than $100 together. No tearing your car apart and if something breaks, just buy a new unit which is dirty cheap now days vs taking it back to store to get the unit replaced + installation cost all over again. I can move it to other car if needed as well. So glad I didn't go with after market install.
  • i got some inexpensive headrest dvd players through Amazon and had a professional install it for a grand total of $500 combined. works great although matching the color of the headrest to the upholstery may not be exact. i can live with that since it saves me $500+.
  • jpd33jpd33 Posts: 1
    Hi, I have the same problem with my CX-9 RES. Where you able to find a fix?
  • catxnjcatxnj Posts: 5
    edited May 2011
    I was able to recover a piece from a junk source after a few months but after all the wait the DVD player no longer works! So, now, I have to hook up through the AUX input with a portable DVD. I have to wait to find someone's RES at the junk yard again!

If anyone has a RES system they are getting rid of for a new system please contact me, please.

Sorry, I was not much help.
  • luis56luis56 Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my RES. The ribbon cable broke up and couldn't find the oem item. I found a ribbon cable in the Internet with the same features (12 cm long and 2 cm wide, and 40 pins). I think its better, because is more flexible than the oem cable. Today I install it and it is working very good.

I hope this help you. This is the link where I found the ribbon cable:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AWM-20624-80C-60V-RIBBON-CABLE-40-PINS-120mm-/220737165563?_- trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%- 26clkid%3D446128025306067659#ht_1128wt_747
    Awesome!! :D Thank you!!! I will make sure to get extra!

I am still looking for a DVD player if anyone want to get rid of theirs for a newer system.
  • bobs_2004bobs_2004 Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with the video display going out, but am apprehensive about breaking something while trying to open the system up. Can you tell me how to open it up to have access to the ribbon cable. Thanks
    edited June 2011
    Don't be scared, just careful.

Make sure to have ziploc bags nearby to separate the screws. Take a picture of everything after you take the bezel/cover off.

For the main cover - just pull it down. You will see some screws holding the unit. Unplug the power/signal connections [You'll need a thin flat head to do this].

After this it is simple. You will see a little latch holding the flat connection just pull it up and it unlocks the flat connection. Next, unscrew the monitor's bezel, and unlock the flat connection there also. Keep the black strip of tape you find inside because you can use that for the new flat connection. Put in your new strip. Buy it on Ebay from the link above...and you have yourself a working screen!

By the way, I still need a DVD player so if anyone is getting rid of their system for something different, please contact me I would like to buy it.
  • jpf2004jpf2004 Posts: 1
    I just bought an 09 with NAV and DVD entertainment and can't figure out how to listen to the DVD without headphones. I keep seeing reference to a media button, but there is no media button.
  • I searched extensively for DVD headrest solutions, but every set available looked to be too wide to fit in the "shoulder" of the seat - about 10". I ended up installing an armrest mounted DVD player on the console and am quite pleased with it. It has IR headphones, or audio can be run through fm. Two disadvantages are: All three of my kids have to watch the same movie (suck it up, it'a a car not a living room!) and the video can't be seen from the 3rd row unless you are tall. I got the player on ebay shipped from NY for about $245. I did the install myself and it was very easy.
  • Great work on finding the equivalent cable dude! FYI to others who want to order this cable, the 120mm length no longer seems available but I have just written the seller to see if he can make it in 120mm and will post the answer when I get it. Closest available (standard) length is 200mm and it looks like there is enough room in the housing to accomodate a 40mm "fold".
  • chaddellchaddell Posts: 1
    hi there. i realize i'm a year late this thread but i stumbled upon it bc i have the same issue. i'm gonna try what you've suggested but could your re-send the ebay link with what part to purchase? i would be SO grateful.

thanks.