Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Would It Take for YOU to buy a diesel car?

Comments

• tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,395
    When does the GLK bluetec hit dealers?

15 Leaf / 08 RDX

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    This year, right?
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,686
    Oh, goodness. That just looks so nice. The Mazda6 doesn't exist to me unless it comes just like this. :cry:
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • fintailfintail Posts: 34,338
    24 months. C250 - that's what I'd like. C250 4Matic diesel would be even crazier. E250 is coming, so no legit reason why we can't finally get the C.

The E is nice, but I am already realizing it might be larger than what I need - feels a lot bigger than the W210.
    edited February 2013
    I wasn't defending anything French. I was laughing that a blowhard credibility-free execucoward was lambasting something that is apparently more profitable than his own racing towards the bottom enterprise.

We could provide better domestic trade and industrial, not to mention social standards if we stopped being on 90 fronts at once, all so a select few industries can reap windfalls - and also gave up the fantasy that eventually everything will work its way down.

Germany isn't begging us to remain there - the inflated ego of our authoritarian sector keeps us there. We aren't there out of altruism, it's special interest profit and ego. We need to provide trade corrections (tariffs and more) on those who do not play by first world standards. If anything, first world Europe defines those standards. Imagine if we spent (relatively, of course) what they spend on foreign aid to troublemakers/competitors and defense, not to mention vice law enforcement.
    But we'll get a lame crossover, right? So it all evens out. :shades:
    I'm sure we'll see a GLK 250 and a CX5 diesel.
    Sounds like they were saying February release last fall, but I've heard nothing about it since.

15 Leaf / 08 RDX

edited February 2013
    The Goodyear issue is a specific factory, not a company.

There's a difference between jealousy and intolerance of arrogance and hypocrisy, and cynicism about lies regarding failed trickle down theory. I suspect I see the reality of the private sector working world more than those not involved today.

You're more likely to be struck by lightning on the same day of the same month every year for 25 years than to become a Zuckerberg (who wasn't exactly born working class to begin with). If it was so simple, why aren't the still-dependent aging children of silent generation oldsters who preach independence and self reliance for others becoming Zuckerbergs right and left?
    edited February 2013
    Will the typical CX-5 buyer be able to put up with it? Some MB traditionalists will buy the GLK, but "Mazda diesel" doesn't have much behind it. That wagon is just too sharp, and probably operates on profit margins too low to survive here.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,175
    There's a difference between jealousy and intolerance of arrogance and hypocrisy, and cynicism about lies regarding failed trickle down theory.

A very small difference for some. I think we are all familiar with your theory on trickle down being a failure. It seems to be working quite well for those fortunate enough to work through the generous welfare system in this country for the top and bottom dwellers. It is much of the working class in the middle that are paying the price for both. I can fully appreciate the CEO's position in not wanting to take on a factory with workers that have figured out how to screw their employer, with the help of a devolving government. Much like the UAW in cahoots with our Federal government have screwed the rest of US.
    We have to see if Mazda+diesel=sales.

SkyActiv has been a mild success so as long as they keep the fun to drive angle (relative) I do think class leading mpg would help sell more CX5s.
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 15,166
    edited February 2013
    This is a bit off topic when it comes to diesels, but the Michelin tires sizes I would most likely put on 2 of VW's more mainstream diesels are made in Romania and the various Michelin plants in the ...USA and CN. Indeed, NONE of the (diesels) Michelin tires are made in FRANCE. Goodyear would avoid a lot of issues if it followed the native son/daughter Michelin's example.

None of the Goodyear tires that have come standard with the two VW diesels have been rated very well by most customers. However, I have had VERY good luck with two dissimilar ( on the diesel) tires by Goodyear.
    edited February 2013
    Maybe a few. A few 6s as well, but it will definitely be something for enthusiasts, I fear the typical Camcord driver will be scared.

24.2mpg on the way home tonight - not remarkable for a hybrid or a 4cyl econobox, but more than acceptable for a large-ish ~4300lb car at a stop and go average of 15mph - and it's not even broken in yet.
    edited February 2013
    And for some, the difference between 100K and 100M is like you or I observing the difference between a dime or a quarter - we don't care ;)

I can appreciate a CEO with legitimate grudges, but when he airs his questionably learned opinions in an ugly and nationally embarrassing way, it's not OK. Especially when it is my peers to get to assume debt so he and his friends can continue to be coddled. The French once knew what to do with that set.

And to make it diesel-based - the French LOVE little diesels. So maybe they aren't all bad.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,974
    edited February 2013
    Let's give the personal comments a rest please. Not to mention the off-topic political commentary too.

Gasoline here is running between $3.92 and $3.94 for regular. Only got to check one diesel station but it's at $4.25.

Oh, I forgot - went to a roadhouse for dinner and there were a dozen snowmachiners filling up with regular for $3.99.

Shouldn't be much longer before the price differential evaporates (didn't see a sign, but premium is likely already a few cents higher than diesel).

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,990
    In Northern Cal diesel is about .25 more per gallon than regular, according to Gasbuddy.com

the widest spread is $4.09 for regular down the block from me at Valero, and $4.49 for diesel over at the fancy Shell station.

the spread for me, being the owner of a car requiring premium fuel, is only .10 cents a gallon.

So with my car getting 25 mpg and say a Golf getting 40, I'd be 'saving' $800 a year.

I'm looking for something like $2000 a year savings to really tempt me to pull the trigger here.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

edited February 2013
    ..."I'm looking for something like $2000 a year savings to really tempt me to pull the trigger here."...

Ah, is that code for .... I am looking for diesels to cost 8k less than gassers also. :P 95% gassers in the passenger vehicle fleet really tells the story !!! While we are dreaming on paper, $1.00 cheaper D2 per gal would also do me fine. ;) Actually they could easily maintain the illusion, just give diesel users a per gal IRS tax credit of $1.00 or more even !!!

All's quiet on the western front !

RUG $4.07

PUG $4.27

D2 $4.29
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,175
    Diesel is holding as RUG keeps going up. Paid $4.09 at Costco for regular.
    Diesel $4.19 premium $4.29 and UP UP UP. We peaked last year middle of March around $4.30. We are about 30 cents higher so far this year.

It has to be Bush's fault. :shades:
    I fear the typical Camcord driver will be scared

True, but Mazda has been clobbered when they've tried to take on Honda or Toyota head on. They simply don't have the resources.

The diesel angle might just work.
    edited February 2013
    I can appreciate a CEO with legitimate grudges, but when he airs his questionably learned opinions in an ugly and nationally embarrassing way, it's not OK

I agree, he definitely crossed the line. His comments were offensive.

Just don't buy the plant, the insults were totally unnecessary.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345
    edited February 2013
    Our local town just adopted their first traffic circle intersection that was originally scheduled for street lights. Talk about a raving success story. The traffic circle was not only way way cheaper to construct, it doesn't require electricity, computers, or continuous upkeep to be operational. And is a safer intersection on so many levels.
    Instead of T Bones, there is the potential for fender benders both going the same direction at 2 to 10 mph. It saves fuel, brakes, clutches, torque converters, tires, time, patience and even safely controls the intersection in event of a power outage.

And if all those perks aren't enough to raise an optimistic embracing eyebrow or two from potential naysayers, this design in our town didn't use anymore real estate than a streetlght controlled intersection. Granted, the potential to replace lit intersections with circles and not use any more land, is greater on 2 lane roadways than multi lane, but the difference is marginal since multi lane intersections also use proportionately greater real estate. Even if 2 lane intersections were replaced with circles, the above mentioned savings could still be immensely helpful for many commuters since many still encounter a pile of 2 lane streetlights.

Diesel power and traffic circles...a great green combo..

Also.....absolutely LOVE that TD Mazda6 wagon! Bring it on...with an AWD option..
    edited February 2013
    As long as the costs aren't too large for marketing/selling the diesel, maybe Mazda can make a go of it. Sadly, the brand is just too offbeat to make it big. If a diesel Camcord came around, it would fare better IMO, people would feel safe to begin with. Mazda would probably do best with it in their CUVs.

And I agree with the traffic circle post below - something we need more of. The fuel wasted at negligently maintained lights has to be stupefying.
    Better yes, but I wonder...what about as a % of sales?

I really think Honda/Toyota would have a hard time getting the diesel models to, say, 30 or 40% of their sales for that model.

Yet I can imagine Mazda doing that easily.
    edited February 2013
    The real success story in that regard is VVA. The model success story from a "mainstream pov" are the 2011 Passat "soft" opening.

The 2012 Passat and soon to be 2013 MY's, both promise to be banner years for its diesels (gassers also).

My guess VW in is various iterations are the targets both the GM/Chevy Cruz and Mazda diesels are aiming @ to take market share from. VW has already demonstrated over multiple years and models that TDI's can be a significant minority %.
    Maybe a 6 wagon could have such a high diesel take rate (as it would sell to general car enthusiasts), but something like a CX-5, I don't know. A large amount of drivers of those will be scared of the noise and smell of diesel.

I'd be shocked if a diesel Camcord hit a 20% take rate, maybe even less - but 15% of 300K units gains more exposure than 50% of 10K units.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,686
    Can't disagree with you on anything stated in that post!

We have precious few circles here, and they are a love/hate amongst motorists, but they sure do ease congestion in previously congested areas... as long as people use them properly!

The one on our university campus was a nightmare for the first year it was there due to timid drivers flat refusing to enter the circle unless it was devoid of any other car. :sick:
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345
    Yes, I can picture that pretty easily..but as we know, those same timid drivers probably shouldn't be sharing the roads with the rest of us at the best of times. Not everyone share equal abilities or aptitudes. You might be going under the knife of THEE BEST surgeon within 5000 miles, and literally save your life. Yet that same surgeon might take your life a couple months later by making some incompetent move on the roadway you were both using at the same time. We can't all have the same strengths.

As for learning curves..no doubt they are real..but often worth it in the end.

In our town the local paper did an interesting poll, both pre circle and 6 month post circle. Pre circle still had 65% or so..(I forget exact #s) in favour (favor) of the project. Post circle stats showed a 90+ % approval..so it looks like many fence-sitters got on board, and even a few naysayers were transformed.
    edited February 2013
    Maybe a 6 wagon could have such a high diesel take rate (as it would sell to general car enthusiasts), but something like a CX-5, I don't know. A large amount of drivers of those will be scared of the noise and smell of diesel.

People have been asking for a Tiguan TDI for years now, and I understand why VW doesn't do it as the current Tig is made in Germany and is already too expensive. Maybe the next generation. Anyhow, I think the first one with a diesel in that small CUV market has an opportunity and a big EPA number never hurts the marketing effort.

In addition, I think there's pent up demand for a Japanese diesel in the US; a lot of people grew up, rightly or wrongly, with the belief that Japanese makes are tops in reliability and have a hard time jumping to an American or Euro brand, diesel or not. With Mazda struggling as an independent, they have little to lose in being first to market. I think its a bold and enlightened move on their part.

15 Leaf / 08 RDX