Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Would It Take for YOU to buy a diesel car?

Comments

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    edited February 2016
    Bet if he knew you were a diesel hater, he would have Rolled a little Coal for ya.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It looks like Volkswagen may finally have a fix for some of its dirty diesel engines (businessinsider.com)

Maybe there's some better links out there - that one offers no details on the fix.

Political business as usual (and tomatoes are vegetables).

Diesel cars can break pollution limits, MEPs decide
    (euobserver.com)
    edited February 2016
    No idea what, if anything, this means. The new ones were likely presold anyway.

"This was the month that the new Duramax diesel Colorado and Canyon trucks first appeared on dealer lots. Diesel truck fans take note. Sales declined when they were introduced, and thus had no positive impact on the company’s mid-size truck sales. Exactly as Toyota predicted"

2016 Toyota Tacoma Sales Up Colorado Down - Diesel Doesn’t Help
    (torquenews.com
    I have been watching for the GM Colorado/Canyon diesel at our dealers and none have shown up. The sales for that almost full sized PU are off about 7% for Colorado, up 4% for Canyon. Maybe people waiting for the diesel to show up.

Makes sense that Toyota would brag about Tacoma sales. About the only increase they had for last month. Might be your chance at a cheap Prius with sales off 24% last month.

Dieselgate does not seem to have hurt Audi, 2015 best ever and January 2.7% increase over last year. VW is down 14% which is not great but they must be getting someone's EV sales with the Golf e up 81% and the Tiguan is up 71%. Sedans from most companies are not doing that well. It is the decade of the SUV/CUV with 10,000 baby boomers retiring every day.
    gagrice said:

About the only increase they had for last month. Might be your chance at a cheap Prius with sales off 24% last month.

There's three in town we need to go look at.

• ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    edited February 2016
    stever said:

No idea what, if anything, this means. The new ones were likely presold anyway.

"This was the month that the new Duramax diesel Colorado and Canyon trucks first appeared on dealer lots. Diesel truck fans take note. Sales declined when they were introduced, and thus had no positive impact on the company’s mid-size truck sales. Exactly as Toyota predicted"

2016 Toyota Tacoma Sales Up Colorado Down - Diesel Doesn’t Help
    (torquenews.com

Total "Toyota" brand propaganda !

I would almost totally discount it, even if any other OEM said exactly the same thing ! Realistically, GM is cutting big time into Toyota's action in which Toyota has dominated for such a very long time. In the segment, Toyota has NO answer for the diesel! There are also no real answers for the now considered POOR MPG!

Further it is to dispute the number of diesels that actually adds to the diesel PVF! (7 to 4% of those total volumes) Again, it is slow diesel niche market sales ! So IF the PVF are @ 3 to 5%, then realistically it's on track to go to 4 to 6 %.

But then, on the other hand , & more telling: evidently Toyota has other fish (Scion) to fry, or is that bury? http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/02/03/toyota-scion-brand/79747406/

If that happened to like VW, (an AM minority brand) at the very least, the Chicken Littles would be out in full force and more probably they would announce DIESEL Armageddon is close @ hand or come to pass!?
    edited February 2016
    Funny, I assumed that Ford and GM always had the best selling trucks in the US. I guess you mean the midsized trucks since Toyotas outsell the Canyon and Colorado?
    edited February 2016
    As per one of your quotes!? :D
    Dunno - my last post was about the diesel flavors that have barely hit the market. Smart cars probably outsold them.
    edited February 2016
    stever said:

Dunno - my last post was about the diesel flavors that have barely hit the market. Smart cars probably outsold them.

The "light" diesel truck market is easy to address also! Toyota in the 1/2 ton PU truck market has NO answer to RAM's 1500 diesel product ! Ford's Eco gasser V6, together with the weight watcher's program was either a joke or some serious BS time to get ready for a 2016/2017 3.0 L 440# ft diesel option product offering. It seems that GM will be late to the diesel light truck market, also! It will be interesting to see what Nissan's truck diesel offerings will add to the diesel PVF %. The V8 Cummins diesel has to be a bedrock American diesel product! Mate that with the seven speed M/T or a 8 to 10 speed A/T! WOW! 550#ft!? Another WOW!

Again, I t is the same for the actual numbers, (no matter the brand) that will be added to the diesel PVF. These #'s of course will boost the percentage of diesels PVF ! The funny part is the environmentalist goal of better MPG is actually making diesels %'s more viable!! The truth the environmentalists are trying to avoid: gasser, gasser hybrid, E85, trucks can NOT reach the (better) mpg numbers ! ...without diesel!

Another problem the environmentalists don't want to acknowledge: SMALL car buyers % 's are actually shrinking! It really gets back to the "gallonage" issue that Shifty & Edmunds.com brought up many many posts ago! Since upwards of 75% of the passenger vehicle fleet are large midsize to light trucks, with a de facto 25% or less being smaller sized vehicles : which in which segment does better mpg % use the LEAST gallons? Again a no-brainer ! More than once I offer up (MB GLK 350/250 BT) the 22 mpg/36 ULSD mpg. Vs 50 mpg Jetta TDI?
    edited February 2016
    Wow the probable 2017 US VW Tiguan is looking more like the Touareg!? http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/02/03/toyota-scion-brand/79747406/
    One of the many reasons to buy a diesel are resale value. You would have to admit $291,000 is a lot for this slightly used diesel.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/news/first-ever-diesel-land-rover-for-sale/?sf20296470=1
    ruking1 said:

Wow the probable 2017 US VW Tiguan is looking more like the Touareg!? http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/02/03/toyota-scion-brand/79747406/

I like the looks of the new Tiguan. Not sure I want to go that small. However if we get the new 2.0L TDI I would be tempted. They are also going to offer NAV with full access to Google maps. Maybe for my short trip vehicle.

The drivetrain choices for Continental buyers all revolve around turbocharged, direct-injected four-cylinder engines. Four are TSI gasoline units, and four others are TDI diesels. The most powerful gas engine puts out around 217 horsepower, while the gutsiest diesel, a twin-turbo 2.0-liter, cranks out nearly 240 ponies. VW says the new Tiguan can tow up to 5500 pounds.

Speaking of small....

If you considered a small car but ended up buying something larger, a reporter wants to talk with you. Please email PR@edmunds.com by Friday, 2/5/16 with a few words about your decision including the make and model that you chose.

(What's the story with the pricey hunk of sheet metal?)
    edited February 2016
    These are purely guesses, because the Tiquan will have the two models: one with the 3rd row option and the normal smaller one with two row seats: but it will probably have the interior dimensions & scale between the 250 BT & GLC 300d.

I think all to most of my family are SO over small sedans ! Currently my daughter + sil commute in the Jetta TDI, with no mpg change! That almost amazes me in that the 50th Super Bowl's MADNESS has come to the area it is garaged.

But no, I am not in the market! However that could change pretty fast . :D
    edited February 2016
    stever said:

Speaking of small....

If you considered a small car but ended up buying something larger, a reporter wants to talk with you. Please email PR@edmunds.com by Friday, 2/5/16 with a few words about your decision including the make and model that you chose.

(What's the story with the pricey hunk of sheet metal?)

I actually toyed with putting another engine & possible transmission in the 1987 Toyota Land Cruiser! If there are proper adapters, the 3.0 L TDI & 8 speed transmission & the 2.1 L BT with 7 speed transmission would both be killer!
    Everyone is over with sedans and small cars.

Naturally after driving mostly minivans for the last 40 years, I want a sedan. The new Cruze hatch should be a good size fit for a lot of people. They'll realize that if a gas crisis hits and fuel pops back to $4 a gallon.
    edited February 2016
    stever said:

Everyone is over with sedans and small cars.

Naturally after driving mostly minivans for the last 40 years, I want a sedan. The new Cruze hatch should be a good size fit for a lot of people. They'll realize that if a gas crisis hits and fuel pops back to $4 a gallon.

Yup! I have also been saying that all along ! The switch to Prius (small car, gas hybrid, if any appreciable % switched @ all) has had virtually ZERO effect on saving fuel. It's real utility was to be able to sell Toyota's gas guzzler trucks,

The real (FUEL) savings has always been to get the 75%+ plus large cars to light trucks segment to raise it's (GASSER) mpg & save GALLONAGE! DIESEL does that (like model) ! Gassers have a very hard time! That is one reason why diesels are so vilified, they don't really want to change that low mpg (gallonage) metric! I mean who really cares if/when a pick up truck gets 12 to 14 miles a gallon? Also despite a good explanation who knows what it means in English? It is also so very true in small cars! When the 2003 VW Jetta TDI can get 50 mpg & it took Prius 10 + years to catch up!... It puts gassers to shame! These are not conjectures! The proofs are in the pudding. Toyota is hardly the number one auto OEM world wide because it sold 2 M Pious in the US! The same is true for GM, Ford and Chrysler & don't forget the etc.'s!

I read an article where they're saying they want to convert the minivan into a sort of CUV/SUV type concept!

You have to remember that during the gas crisis and four dollar gasoline, that the PVF was app 75 % large cars to light trucks!

Diesel really jacks up the mpg! Advantage diesel!

I have been posting the numbers: 19 to 21 mpg PUG vs 33 mpg, ULSD, 22 mpg vs 36 mpg ULSD ! 65%, 63.6% anecdotally better respectively!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Well, not everyone. :)
    I guess my '13 Versa hatch is our "big car" since it's just a touch larger than the wife's '14 Note

My '84 King Cab 4x4 was big, I suppose, but I have to go back to my '66 Newport to get BIG
    edited February 2016
    PF_Flyer said:

Well, not everyone. :)
    I guess my '13 Versa hatch is our "big car" since it's just a touch larger than the wife's '14 Note

My '84 King Cab 4x4 was big, I suppose, but I have to go back to my '66 Newport to get BIG

And for both of them, did you even care about what mpg you got?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    MPG wasn't really the reason to get them, although the 40mpg the Note gets is nice. The Note at just under $16K with title, tags, & taxes, is the most we've ever paid for a car.

Che...FRUGAL...the word is frugal, right? :)
    edited February 2016
    PF_Flyer said:

MPG wasn't really the reason to get them, although the 40mpg the Note gets is nice. The Note at just under $16K with title, tags, & taxes, is the most we've ever paid for a car.

When the 2003 VW Jetta was bought for slightly more than that, I didn't think I was being particularly frugal! @ 187,000 miles, I look forward to the next 213,000 miles! But even @ 400,000 miles, it gives me 4.5 cents per mile : depreciation(full). So if I get that from the buyback @ app 110,000 miles,...sounds pretty good!

For sure, that can be one reason!? But then, the next most important marathon will be whether or not they can go 12 + years and at least 180,000 miles !
    I can see me blasting across the dunes in a Tiguan with the 2.0L TDI biturbo. It is quite impressive in the Passat.

Besides the 240 PS, the twin-turbo engine also comes with 500 Nm (368 lb-ft) of torque, the highest yet delivered by an MQB car. This is especially useful during acceleration, but can only be harnessed by a Haldex 5 all-wheel drive system and a new seven-speed wet-clutch DSG gearbox.

Official numbers from Volkswagen claim 0 to 80 km/h (50 mph) takes 4.2 seconds and 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) takes 6.1 seconds.

edited February 2016
    As much as I enjoy the VW 2.0 L TDI @ 236 # ft of torque, the MB 2.1 L BT @ 369 # ft is loads of fun! So IF VW is talking about putting a biturbo TDI with 368 # ft in a Tiauan, that will work!
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited February 2016

Most I ever paid for a car was the $21,200 for our 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS, PF_Flyer. Made it to 130,000 miles with no issues, then the timing chain froze on Highway 54 going south in to El Paso. Ouch! The car had been paid off a little over a year earlier. Mitsubishi issued a recall for a "prematurely wearing out serpentine belt" 2 weeks after we traded the Lancer GTS in on our '11 Soul base 5-speed because of this incident. We asked for compensation after we got the recall notice for the '08 Lancer GTS in our Alamogordo, NM, mailbox. Mitsubishi Consumer Affairs told us "but you traded your Lancer GTS in. If you had just called us right after the incident we would've had something to talk about."

Umm. :( If I was a car company I would not have handled that incident that way. The car was paid off, still loved driving it, 130,000 miles and running very well, serpentine belt breaks. All belts had been checked at a Mitsubishi dealer 2 weeks earlier and found to be "fine." Nothing was due to be done on the service schedule of Mitsubishi's for this car.

The belt that broke no doubt caused the engine seizure, they knew about it and they say "because you traded everything is null and void." Excuse me, I had no idea what you guys knew about a prematurely wearing serpentine belt! What would they have done? Called Mitsubishi Consumer Affairs when they're at a Mitsu dealer assessing the damage? Didn't even think about doing that. We needed transportation and all we could thing about was getting back on the road. So we traded for the Kia Soul. Dealer gave us $2,000 for the Lancer GTS body in trade. A replacement Lancer engine was tracked down selling for $3,400 (plus their labor to install it) and it had 64,000 miles on it! Rental car costs, nah, we weren't gonna go down that road.

Left a sour taste in our mouths. Kia Soul's running fine - I remember saying the Lancer GTS was running fine before this happened, too. Ahh, car stories, huh?!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

edited February 2016
    It really gets back to what I've been saying about VW stepping UP for DIESELS & "diesel gate" & (what appears to be) BIG TIME!!!

(anecdotally) DSG warranty extension, the HPFP (my out of warranty incident) & so far, "diesel gate's " $1,000 & Road Assist!

So, what would one rather have: blasts of quality hot air from (Mitsubishi's) various departments: or,

VW's DSG warranty extensions, out of warranty HPFP repairs and out of warranty cash & 3 yr Road Assisst? All three are totally documented! The 2009 VW Jetta TDI is still going strong @ 105,000 miles! I am looking forward to the next 296,000 miles!!!

Well, if the buy back is attractive...?....($8,900+ is being bandied about) VW is also likely to offer incentives for a buy back clients next VW. If the new Tiguan has the TDI option with 368# ft of torque & 7 speed DSG/AT on the market & with great terms & incentives.....I might be a buyer!

The 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS did NOT even make it to 12 years/180,000 miles!? IF what I am reading is true?

If I got offered $2,000 f( vs $8,900?) or the 2009 VW TDI @ 105,000 miles and in a fit of Chicken Little TDI frenzy,...took it, would I have been had? Or should I be PC and say: the other guy got a GREAT deal! (STEAL) ? I would not take $2000 for even a 2003 VW Jetta TDI @ 187,000 miles.

So, would someone want to explain to me why I would want to be GASSER fan boy? Just a quick + dirty calculation (anyone can do the math) indicates a LOT of money left on the table. Keep in mind that I have gotten similar treatment (Mitsubishi type) from Toyota, Honda & Ford! My 2001 GM product @ 75,000 miles has been relatively issue free afte Chevrolet stepping up during the warranty period!
    edited February 2016
    Funny how they look & are priced like Touareg TDI's? ? http://news.yahoo.com/2016-toyota-highlander-vs-honda-pilot-review-140103378.html
    edited February 2016
    Slow diesel news day ! This linked article offers up nothing new, but settlements might be getting closer! The article seems to portend buybacks, for the older ones.

Me? I'd would entertain replacement car monies with a great deal & good terms on an upgrade or downgrade VW TDI. After all, why would VW want me to switch over to another Mercedes ? http://finance.yahoo.com/news/volkswagen-offer-generous-compensation-u-132938070.html

Way off topic: Loads of Super Bowl football madness around here! The GS Warriors led off the festivities with a win, with a White House visit. Then, they manage another win!

So...how about them Denver Broncos? I hear tell the cheapest ticket is $ 4,000!
    edited February 2016
    ruking1, Golden State is a phenomenal NBA basketball team. Incredible team - one of their great shooters, Klay Thompson, is a Washington State University product.

edited February 2016
    Go Cougars!

I have read there are approximately 3,000 athletes in all of professional sports ???!!! Given our population of 326 M, this group is .00000920 % of the population! Just this group itself is at the pinnacle and it is truly mind-boggling. The fact that K. Thompson & a handful of other basketball people are @ the pinnacle of (another subset of that) basketball is even more mind-boggling ! For better and for worse, we celebrate professional athletes. They are a cultural phenomena!

I was at this Super Bowl, 1985 http://sports.yahoo.com/video/stanford-look-back-last-super-065012260.html

F/F to 2016, One local station has about 7 1/2 hours of coverage ? :D
    Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson together on the same team forms a dynasty.

edited February 2016
    Well I got to say, they are certainly on the uphill road ! The Warriors games are televised here as a part of the local cable TV. I'm not sure how it is in various places. So if I'm repeating the obvious, I apologize. Some of the games seem almost comical! But at the same time, they are just a study in absolute flow intensity. (Among other observations)

We got hooked on girls (pre kindergarten to K-8 ) & women's (9 - 12) basketball (title IX- div 1) .So needless to say, We follow it! (6 universities teams to start)
    edited February 2016
    C'mon, it's not that slow on diesel news out there. :p

New Jersey Fourth State to Sue VW over Excess Diesel Emissions (allgov.com)

Volkswagen to offer generous compensation for U.S. customers: paper (Reuters)

VW launches new ad campaign in hopes of restoring trust (leftlanenews.com)

The Classic Bob poster in the comments to the Left Lane News article offers up a bunch of fun acronyms, including:

TDI: Totally Deceptive Invention

:)
    edited February 2016
    Well if the EPA/CARB were doing their jobs i.e.,actually monitoring TESTING, like they do gas cars biannually, or @ the very least test a representative number, they would hardly have been deceived! That argument is a false endless loop! They are just PO'd because they got caught sleeping at the wheel ! So for example, the EPA/CARB are STILL CLUELESS as to what the affected diesel populations emissions numbers are! That affected Arblay way far less to not measurable ! And, ...they are damn proud of it! Geez!
    "For the past decade Volkswagen engaged in one of the largest frauds in the history of the automobile industry,"

Not even close to knowingly selling cars with a faulty ignition switch for 13 years. Killing well over 100 people.

Feinberg said he had not yet decided whether to consider claims that the emissions damaged the health of claimants.

"I am inclined to not accept that and tell such people they should sue Volkswagen if they want to," he said.

Smart man. Proving your health was diminished by a handful of VW TDI's faulty emissions would be nearly impossible to prove in court. How many millions of diesels are on the road today that put out far more NOx? Someway the attorneys can say a person got ill from his neighbors 2009 VW TDI and not his neighbor's 1988 Ford PU with diesel, that legally puts out 100s of times more NOx? Our litigious society will be the death of US long before NOx will.
    Well I hope that is true from the title, but I don't get that from the article.http://finance.yahoo.com/news/vw-plans-u-diesel-owners-100111288.html
    edited February 2016
    Sounds like they are starting to make the right noises.

GM and Toyota enjoyed "deferred-prosecution agreements that require the companies to cooperate with authorities. The charges will be dismissed in three years if the automakers comply with the accords.

Volkswagen may not get that option."

Emissions Lies Haunt VW as It Faces Tougher Justice Department (Bloomberg)

Unless they start "cooperating".
    edited February 2016
    Phys.org reports on a study by Radboud University in the Netherlands that models dieselgate fraud deaths. 700 "life-years" in the US.

(a "life year" is equivalent to watching 26 episodes of Laverne & Shirley).

"European officials knew that Volkswagen diesels fell short on pollution controls years before the company became engulfed in an emissions cheating scandal, records show.

They also knew that diesels across the industry had problems that were similar, if not worse."

Lab tests also hid pollution from Europe’s diesels (Boston Globe)
    I know I haven’t lost a relative, I just want to be treated fairly.’ They are all quite reasonable.”

I just want my $1000 Visa cards and a New VW Touareg TDI LUX. B) White with Saddle Brown Leather.
    In the United States, Volkswagen has conceded its software was illegal, designed to cheat emissions tests. In Europe, however, it has said the same technology is not illegal.

If it is not illegal in the EU, why would the owners get rewarded anymore than driving the most fuel efficient cars on the planet?

If VW TDIs are killing off 700 people a year, how many of those 700 people smoked? That has to be far worse than the minute particles of NOx in the air. So 125 of those 700 are more likely to die from smoking. We do have 480,000 smoking related deaths in the US every year. So how much do the tobacco companies get dinged every year? Let's see you are 685 Times more likely to die from cigarette smoke than NOx put out by VW TDIs. So why isn't the EPA suing the tobacco companies the same as they are VW. $48 b times 685 is around $33 TRILLION the tobacco companies owe US. Or better yet add that much tax to the cost of cigarettes. That comes out to roughly $2250 in taxes on a pack of cigarettes.

My neighbor lady lives about 70 feet from our house. If I have the office window open and the wind is from the SE her cigarette smoke comes in my window. I don't think outlawing them is the answer. Just my hefty tax solution should be fine.
    It's not 700 a day, it's 700 of those life-years.

And I'd be happy with outlawing them. ;)
    Thankfully that has as much chance of happening as outlawing gasoline, gas hybrids, ethanol or even EV for that matter!
    You are thankful that cigarettes aren't going to be outlawed? Good thing I'm not king. :)
    edited February 2016
    stever said:

You are thankful that cigarettes aren't going to be outlawed? Good thing I'm not king. :)

What cigarette executive ever got prosecuted? Let alone convicted? What cigarette company ever got prosecuted, let alone convicted for their lies, coverups, high crimes & misdemeanors?

Lol! Is it me getting (the abnormally high) TAXATIONS etc., from current cigarette sales? But think about Gagrices' post on cigarette deaths vs VW's (not measurable) affected diesel N0x? ! As King, you will have to probably figure fast out how to replace the cigarette taxations revenues you would have outlawed ! Not a good problem to have !

For as many people as cigarette smoking has killed, does it amaze anybody else but me that pot smoking is now legal in at least Colorado?
    Brownies are...not an option. :D

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,165
    Every other prohibition has been a laughable and expensive failure, serving as little more than make-work projects for the first class sector. Why would this be different?

Regarding the claims from the Eurodrone academics, I wonder if it is more new math coupled with not addressing the test cycle vs real world emissions. Maybe the tests are broken? Nah, that would mean the EUSSR nanny state is wrong about something.
    stever said:

edited February 2016
    Three Reasons To Never Buy A New Car!
    http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/Saving-Money/2016/0208/Three-reasons-to-never-buy-a-new-car

But, think about it, even @ a record 17.5 M new cars sold in 2015: not many know how many USED cars were sold, which is the MUCH bigger number! Another thought: even at a 2015 record, it is only 6.5% of the 2013 PVF (269.3 M). That % percentage is barely above replacement.

With 3 to 5% of the PVF being diesel, it's going to be around for a very long time!
    Read today that new cars are for poor people. Not sure what that has to do with buying diesels though.

Diesel Fiat 500X has excess emissions, German lobby group claims (autonews.com)
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,165
    Likely a real world vs test cycle issue there. DUH once had claims about a 6 year old C-class that seem to have vanished - not exactly an impartial source.

The greenies who have done so much need to address the tests if they don't agree, rather than making dramatic claims about logical non-issues.
    edited February 2016
    It's good to see - they need to tweak the tests to get closer to the real world results, or just test the ones on the roads. Reminds me of all the tweaks the EPA has had to do over the years to try to get mpg ratings that are somewhat real. Too bad it's too expensive just to have the regulators do all the testing in the first place.
This discussion has been closed.