Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Would It Take for YOU to buy a diesel car?

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,416
    Oh I wasn't kidding. Some types of vehicle need a little classroom time prior to operation. Hybrids are one, diesels another. If you drive either one like a high-strung gasoline car, you're going to be disappointed in some way.

• ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,705
    edited March 2013
    That is true, I have several of them (higher strung gassers) myself. I am not sure why you thought I thought you were kidding? I drive the Honda like a/the higher strung gasoline car (it is) and get 38-42 mpg. Why, how,?, one might say? Not kidding, that is how it is designed and built to be RUN !!! If I drive a hybrid and diesel that way/parameter you can bet an uneducated dollar, I would be disappointed in any number of ways.

In my case, part of the rational in NOT getting the 2004 Prius was I was not willing to do what it would have taken to get close to the EPA 's 60 mpg C/50 mpg H. Their are other reasons, but that is the one germane to the point.

So for another example, even though it might seem unrelated to diesels, I had to take some time to integrate the 8 speed A/T with the VW 3.0 TDI. At first glance, it is just the addition of 2 gears and a sequential shift gate. On the face of it, that is absolutely true.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,850
    Will MB break into the lucrative Mini Van market in the USA. I could like one of these.

The new Grand Edition Viano AVANTGARDE is available in "compact" and "long" body variants. Buyers can also choose between two powerful yet at the same time economical, low-emission engines: these include the four-cylinder 2.2 CDI with an output of 120 kW (163 hp) and the V6 3.0 CDI producing 165 kW (225 hp), an engine which is unique in this class.

edited March 2013
    with a twist.

After fueling @ 6,237 ft after a trip UPGRADE (210 miles x 2=420 miles + 30 miles in and around 6,237 ft) from sea level to 7,300 ft and down into 6,237 ft for 29.5 mpg, the trip DOWNGRADE was started .

(The TWIST)

The computer posted app 41.5 mpg out of the mountains to app 2,000 ft.

At that altitude, we were able to pick back up to more normal freeway speeds. Fueling at sea level posted 34.5 mpg for the down grade leg. The average for the trip was 32 mpg.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,150
    edited March 2013
    pretty ugly, but I'd still replace the T&C with it.

EDIT: just did a search and they are saying this thing STARTS at 50k euros! Yikes!!

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

It is a Mercedes, not some cheapo Honda or Toyota. I don't think they will make it to the US market. Even VW puts their name on a Chrysler Mini Van. Or they did. I think they have dumped the Routan. They have some nice diesel vans they sell in Europe. According to Edmunds you can buy the 2012 VW Routan for about $8000 under invoice. Probably the best buy in mini vans in the USA.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,150
    edited March 2013
    actually, according to the germany MB website, it starts at 40k. I think that makes more sense when stacked up against the rest of their lineup there, and its about 10k more than a vw multivan starting price.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,509
    Their prices included 19% tax, IIRC.

It's also not very "mini", it's looks bigger in person anyway. Would be cool to see it here though.
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,900
    edited March 2013
    the 2400 watt generator is probably too small for the loads you are attempting to power. sounds like you would need the slightly-larger 3000 watt (5000 watt peak) model for the skilsaw load.
    a possible mechanism for the overload is that the voltage drop quite low when the skillsaw load is attached, thus increasing the required current well beyond the overload-mode-threshold-current-detector...

a generator with 5kw peak-power-rating may be especially important for you if you need to a more inductive load such as a skilsaw.

a possible reason the generator worked at first and not now is that it had better compression and better hp when new. the current-detector might have failed on the generator too, but it is expected for a gas engine to lose hp/compression over enough time/use. i understand these generator engines are not exactly lifetime workhorses.

you could consider to put a current/AC-voltage meter-plug-thing inline to see the actual voltage troughs & current-peaks.

in diesel car news, the Volkwagen Golf GTD for 2014 in USA looks unavoidably attractive to me. manual transmission, 280 hp (ft-lbs too!?), diesel, good times!!!!
    edited March 2013
    in the (US market) diesel scheme of things?????

Audi LUX>WSJ<a href="
    Your Wally World dollars at work. Well-connected conspicuous consumers in our "most favored trading partner" love them, and they've wooed over some of the traditional BMW demographic here, too. Few are diesels.
    Looks like VW/Audi are right on course to take the top spot by 2018. I think they are also the largest in Brazil another very large emerging market.

Ruking, meant to ask. Do you prefer one brand of ULSD over the others?
    I think MB is heading in the right direction leading the way with more diesel options in the US market. I don't care for the Audi look much. I would consider an A4 Allroad Quattro TDI if they get rid of that goofy grill. This is still my favorite Audi.

I hope you know a good indy shop :shades:

I know someone with an 04 or so Allroad, and it has been pretty decent - but I have also read many horror stories. Probably one of those models where maybe 1:50 cars weren't troublesome.

Of course, in Europe, you can get that A6-based diesel Allroad.
    I hope you know a good indy shop

It took a lot of research to find a good Lexus mechanic. My last two vehicles I got the 7 year warranty. Though not sure it is worth it. I just like the looks of that Allroad. I would not even look at one to buy if it was not diesel. I am tired of supporting the oil companies that control the EPA and CARB. Now that you have seen for yourself the diesel advantages you can understand. Impossible to get through to most people that have never owned a modern diesel vehicle.
    I don't drive as huge a mileage as some, but I am still between 1/2 and 1/4 tank in the Bluetec. I got the car 24 days ago, and haven't been to a gas station yet. Not many similar sized gassers could do similar.
    edited March 2013
    ..."Your Wally World dollars at work. Well-connected conspicuous consumers in our "most favored trading partner" love them, and they've wooed over some of the traditional BMW demographic here, too. Few are diesels."...

Yes, I thought that was why the latest cabal was RE elected? ;) What's good for Wally World is guud for MERICA? Few diesels are the current US market situation, at 5% and less.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,012
    edited March 2013
    "The next-generation Audi A4 sedan in the U.S. will feature an optional 2.0-liter four-cylinder TDI engine, said Scott Keogh, Audi of America president, on Tuesday in a conference call with reporters.

The next-generation Audi A4 will arrive sometime in 2014. Pricing and launch details on the diesel variant of the Audi A4 were not disclosed."

Next-Generation Audi A4 in U.S. To Offer Diesel Option

This was this morning's diesel wonder. Was idling for 5+ minutes near an autoparts store as I was walking to the phone company to pay my internet bill.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I don't think the current empty suits are any more or less pro-diesel or pro-WM than the just as empty suits who weren't able to sell their story. Consumer fear knows no political boundaries, and for many, it is still fear from the malaise era. More than once, someone has asked me "do you have trouble finding stations that sell diesel?".
    More than once, someone has asked me "do you have trouble finding stations that sell diesel?".

Do you tell them "no problem, I only fill it once a year."