Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Would It Take for YOU to buy a diesel car?

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,515
    Pretty much, yes. When I tell them I am still between 1/2 and 1/4, and I bought the car three and a half weeks ago, it shocks people. 25mpg commute home tonight, not shabby. Many 90s era 4cyl cars can do no better.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,420
    I had a 300D (gee I miss that car) and it had the optional Mercedes long range fuel tank, and I drove from Utah to the city of San Francisco without re-fueling AND had some fuel left! What I didn't do is drive FAST however.

I can go reasonably fast in my car - no super sedan of course, but it will still beat many if not most cars.

I think on a road trip, a 700+ mile range should be no problem.
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,708
    edited March 2013
    Well then it's all good and ... faster ( if that is what one choses. ). I am not sure slower is necessarily too much better ! A past post gives the figures. 32 mpg with 26.4 gals will post 832 miles with 13 miles to look for a refill. ;)

On the other side of it, The Taylors did 5 mph under the speed limit and made a 43 mpg EPA car post 84.1 mpg !!! But then all would agree that is probably an outlier average. Besides you have more than once said mpg is not a motivator for you.
    edited March 2013
    My Benz diesel never got close to 32 mpg unfortunately.

Anyone who could market a full size sedan that could be driven normally and that got 84 mpg, would rule the world and grow rich beyond measure. I don't believe that kind of anecdotal evidence anyway. I'd need to see a measured course with measured fuel and repeated tests.

But gee, even 60 mpg in a mid-size 4-door car (like a Taurus) would be fantastic. That'd boost the diesel market for certain.

edited March 2013
    Right !

But I think it is important in both comparison (like model) and scale for the times.

So for example, using 20 mpg (gasser) vs 30 mpg (diesel) a min of 50% BETTER:
    I know you would agree that even on this board, BETTER mph is ALMOST a yawn.

Truth be told, that except for a MUCH smaller minority it is almost total sleeps ville.

Now I like the difference, but even I understand it is an almost total outlier minority position.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,013
    "VW actually prefers you call it the Jetta Turbo Hybrid. The automaker is keen to position this car as something most hybrids aren't: fun and powerful.

Yet the Jetta somehow still felt underpowered. No one expects this car to crush Mustangs at stoplights. But every on ramp, stop sign, or passing situation served as reminder that fuel economy came at the expense of useful power.

Still, the Jetta Hybrid doesn't feel like a $32,000 car — especially when you consider a base Jetta costs just $17,000, and the diesel Jetta costs $4,000 less than the hybrid.

Sure, not everyone wants a diesel. But they should. The Jetta Hybrid only reinforces this point."

2013 Volkswagen Jetta: Hybrid vs. diesel (Chicago Tribune)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

edited March 2013
    The good/bad news are people vote with their "checkbooks".

Diesels are ONLY 5% of the passenger diesel population (258.5 M @ 12.93M). Of that population, fully 50% (6.463 M) are the "light" but really heavier passenger vehicle segment. But, the 3 % came back from the dying to dead minority outlier population by 67 % to 5% of the passenger vehicle fleet !!!!

The VW turbo hybrid would be interesting comparison against the Prius. I think VW would be thrilled to death to sell its miniscuse inventory of "hybrids, "aka Prius competitor" as a "go with the program" US market policy. Cars.com shows 1,429 units of 2013 Jetta turbo hybrids and 3 Touareg supercharger hybrids. Of course, the other half of that would be "turbo", in which they are one of the dominate turbo oems (Garrett Turbo, a division of Honeywell, a VERY American vendor)

On another diesel related mpg topic, SOS DD ( in a good way).

The VW T, 3.0 TDI posted 28 mpg (1 to 2 mpg DROP, by computer) loaded and STUFFED to the literal gills with app 1,000/1,500 #'s of bulky "stuff". Defacto blocking and bracing made it feel more like a loaded suv/tow vehicle, but still it did Highway 50 (twisty two lane with twisty 2 lane each way passing areas, to Tahoe, folks can google it) like the proverbial mountain goat being chased by a predator. Evidently on a connecting Highway UP, PRE Saint Patty's Day was CHP 6 vehicle enforcement day (one way) in full early morning swing. I have never seen sooooo many cars (non accident) in one area. Even had to slow to 75 mph :surprise: :shades:

The same leg only downgrade and NO STUFF let the vehicle post 31.4 mpg (DROP obviously from a prior post)

Tragic but real: Got stuck in the GAWKING lanes on multiple cars and accidents and twin fatality (RIP) scenario/s for almost an hour closer to San Jose, CA on the return trip. It literally had the full complement of CHP's, fire trucks, ambulances, tow trucks, news Helo's etc.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,850
    “The Americans filled it up with diesel, rather than petrol,” reports Channel 2 — stressing that it was the Americans, not the Israelis.

Unsurprisingly, the car wouldn’t start.

http://jalopnik.com/president-obamas-limo-breaks-down-in-israel-after-bein-45677- 3406
    edited March 2013
    Perhaps it was journalistic bas ackwardness? It is actually a diesel that the Americans filled with GAS ????????????? Or maybe just another BLAME opportunity for BO ? ;)

from the Huff Post

..."As reported by CNN, the official presidential limousine -- nicknamed “The Beast” because of its extensive features and defense systems -- broke down Wednesday after its driver reportedly fueled the vehicle with gasoline rather than diesel fuel."...

I am then indeed confused. I had read the Cadillac POTUS limo (fleet) was indeed a gaggle of turbo diesels. (I understand there are more than one.) I SWAG it really needs massive torque and no fuel draw going the speeds and idling as it does. I am not sure what it means when the lefties actually get it RIGHT. ;)

But then the food nazi's are letting Twinkies live ! :shades: Ho Ho's and DING DONGS to resurrect !!!!
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,013
    edited March 2013
    Thanks for the morning laugh. :D Reminds me of the time one of the limos tried to exit a parking lot and got high centered on the curb apron and stuck.

(And Yahoo says it was a diesel they put gas in - but I thought diesels would burn most anything from coal tar to Jack Daniels, so what's problem? :P )

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

No that option is specifically AGAINST the law !! The EPA will not even allow an engine specified for up to 100% bio diesel. Bio diesel is as low as ZERO % ppm sulfur !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (for for conversation purposes 1 ppm sulfur) Why have no to lower ppm emissions when you can have RUG emissions that are 30 to 60 to 90 TIMES greater !!! Just as long as one can say how "clean" things are even when they are far dirtier !!!! :lemon: :shades: ;)
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,850
    but I thought diesels would burn most anything from coal tar to Jack Daniels, so what's problem?

Even diesels have limitations on the crap they will burn.
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,863
    Even diesels have limitations on the crap they will burn.

Or the crap they have to haul around.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    Hahaha! Touche!!!!!
    I wonder if the emissions from that class of useless moneywasters could be counted as a biofuel. Could probably fuel a million vehicles for a million years.
    edited March 2013
    ... and that's the way it is ! Good night. ;) :lemon: 95% RUG/PUG passenger vehicles is solid evidence of this brain washing.

Diesels are way dumbed down also, ala 43 mpg vs 71 to 78 mpg?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,426
    Almost all cars are dumbed down by the EPA - especially stick shifts.
    yeah but first off that's an imperial gallon, and second of all, it's a 1.6L engine that quite frankly some of my fellow Americans would not be happy driving here in the states.

Me, I'm all for it----just sayin'.................