Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Would It Take for YOU to buy a diesel car?

Comments

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,679
    Chains+AWD got me there, though.

CA rules on chains are crazy. They can cause as many accidents as they prevent. 37 years living and working in Alaska and never owned chains. Most of the time I had rear wheel drive vehicles with studded tires in winter. Much preferred over AWD with chains. I avoid CA mountains during the winter because of their ignorant rules and regs.
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,489
    edited May 2013
    Yes it is interesting to consider that I can get 2 to 5 mpg better without the 4wd option. I also understand an ad blue delete and subsequent hardware removal and finer tune chipping can add another app 4 mpg. :surprise: It is interesting that during winter, the "rules" actually make one burn even more fuel. They of course "winterize" RUG/PUG which in effect burns even more, than burning even more.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,968
    edited May 2013
    Don't see an AWD option but there's another diesel option available. And at least some of them have sliders, but only one slider is available.

"For 2014, buyers for the first time have the choice of two turbocharged diesel engines. Added to the line is a 2.1-liter engine that is mated to a seven-speed automatic transmission. The engine is standard in all Sprinter models and rated at 161 horsepower and 265 pound-feet of torque."

Redesigned 2014 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Targets Ford Econoline

No mpg numbers yet.
    edited May 2013
    Yes, I think contrary to a lot of opinions expressed on this board (cost is no object if someone else is paying for it?) , this MB sprinter is aimed squarely @ those fleets or businesses where (lower the better) cost per mile driven are an issue, usually huge. If Ford does not go the diesel route, albeit 2.1 L , MB will easily win the lower cost per mile metric FUEL. Even if it gets better than 25 mpg (what the MB 3.0 L Sprinter was reputed to get) , it should easily out metric the E150 paneled van which posts 12 mpg in the real world.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,346
    Thanks..
    Ahhh...in the interest of thread purity, ahh ya.. :shades:
    edited May 2013
    I guess there is not much out there to replace it presently, but aren't those things a money pit? Thereby negating fuel savings.

In theory this type of truck makes so much sense, but to be a MB?? That name brings with it a pile of prestige when talking about their cars. Not so with the truck, it just brings with it big buck costs due to its association with the name and issues. It would fine if it wasn't a money pit, but..

On a smaller scale I am just amazed that Ford hasn't dieselized the Transit. The intelligence meter is hanging pretty low there Ford. I wouldn't be surprised if more than one or two of ya near the top are drooling..and no...I don't mean with anticipation of anything..

And I know personally of 4 contractors in my area would BUY 2 or 3 EACH Transits IF they were diesel AND 4WD. Can't buy what isn't offered tho..idiots..

I just don't get why, when there is real work to be done, that diesels don't make a clean sweep. Oh ya...you can't buy what isn't offered.. :(

I've said it before and I'll say it again..this is a HUGE opportunity for Korea to offer the consumer what is blatantly not being offered by their competition..so ya...they're idiots too..

Any other world problems that I can help provide answers for? haha :shades:
    edited May 2013
    MB has been making trucks forever so they may have a good handle on the operating costs. Ask Gagrice about the Sprinter he had for a while when he gets back.

The Transit Connect is frustrating. I could probably live with the gasser version if it just came in a 5 speed.
  • flightnurseflightnurse at 35K feetPosts: 1,524
    "For 2014, buyers for the first time have the choice of two turbocharged diesel engines. Added to the line is a 2.1-liter engine that is mated to a seven-speed automatic transmission. The engine is standard in all Sprinter models and rated at 161 horsepower and 265 pound-feet of torque."

Interesting is this the same engine in the GLK that is rated at 200hp? and 398;bs of torque? If so why would MB lower the HP and T in a heavier vehicle? BTW I was impressed that MB increased the HP on the diesel for the cars, now if any BMW would do the same thing.
    The Transit Connect is frustrating. I could probably live with the gasser version if it just came in a 5 speed.

We are having work done on or heating and AC ducting here at the house, and the AC guy has a new Transit, at first he wasn't too sure if he would like it, after a month, he does and the company is going to buy 15 more. He is averaging 20 mpg with it much better than the 14 with his old van. Now if it has a diesel in it, it would be much higher. I'm sure Ford is making a killing on those transits, the cost to product them must be low...
    They do have a certain appeal. But my '99 van averages 21 in mixed use.
    Ask Gagrice about the Sprinter he had for a while when he gets back.

I owned a 2006 MB Sprinter conversion van for a little over a year. It had the 5 cylinder inline engine and 5 speed selectronic transmission. My two complaints was parking as it was almost 23 feet long. And the height made it less than great in the wind or being passed by semis. I never got under 20 MPG. It would run all day at 75 MPH across TX and return 25 MPG. If they came out with a mini van size with that 2.1L diesel it would be a nice vehicle to trick out for traveling cross country. The smaller 144" wheelbase Sprinter is still more vehicle than I want. It is about two feet longer than my Sequoia.
    edited May 2013
    Back to the GLK250, the US price is coming in at $39,495 to start and the mileage is 24 city/33 highway/28 combined. Note that it's $500 less than the gasoline-powered GLK350 4Matic.

2013 Mercedes-Benz GLK250 Delivers Diesel Power and Efficiency
    edited May 2013
    I think if there was ever a time for a diesel VW "Tiguan" type vehicle, it is now. Even with the slight diesel premium, the "top" version (of which edmunds.com lists 11) would be cheaper than the entry diesel GLK250. Indeed it would be one step closer to VW having a diesel option across its model line.
    Mercedes is serious about dominating the Luxury market again. At 33 MPG I would have saved about $275 on fuel, even with diesel selling at $4 per gallon most of the trip. Have to take a closer look at the GLK.
  • scwmcanscwmcan Niagara, CanadaPosts: 388
    Well Ford doesn't offer a diesel in the Transit Connect, but the full size Transit is supposed to offer one ( and no it doesnt make sense to not offer one in the smaller van, but at least the offer it in the full size). I seem to recall it wil be a 5 cyl diesel. As for the naming scheme, it follows the rest of the world naming, but I can see it leading to confusion, especially when some will forget that the smaller van has a second part to the name.
    As for the naming scheme, it follows the rest of the world naming, but I can see it leading to confusion, especially when some will forget that the smaller van has a second part to the name

Yes, and that is what I did. I'm not surprised though, cuz I have been boycotting Ford for the past 22 years, so don't follow all of their product offerings. This is a good example, cuz while I knew about their Transit Connect, cuz I could use a vehicle of this type in my work. But I immediately dismissed it since it is a heavy tall vehicle with no diesel or AWD option, so no matter how efficient it may propose to be, its capability could be so much more = Fail IMB's.

Aside from my boycott, it could have stood at least a bit of chance had it offered AWD, but again, that just makes it that much heavier and fuel hungry so the need for a diesel that much more obvious, so a Total Unadulterated Fail.
    edited May 2013
    Being as how 75% of the passenger vehicle fleet are large cars to "light trucks," it makes all the (non PC) sense why diesels in that broad segment are being banned to choked off. Defacto, they (large car to light truck diesels) are less than 2.5% of the vehicle fleet. The other 2.5% diesels are passenger cars, for a total currently of app less than 5%.

In or on the mid sized segment (less than 25% of the passenger vehicle fleet) , I read that Toyota and Honda are losing (dominance) hold of that market segment. There is a quiet to not so quiet battle going on (gasser especially) and diesel has several models in the mid sized segment. Indeed, TDI Passat's competition gets less mpg for (Camry type) hybrids and costs anywhere from 6k to 8k (MSRP) more than the Passat diesel.
    I read someplace that VW will be offering a TDI Tiquan for 2014.
    I'm disappointed that the 250GLK isn't getting better MPG on the highway. Too bad it's not $1500 less then the 350GLK.
    If the EPA rates it at 33 MPG highway, it is a sure bet it will get in the high 30s. Those test are designed to make diesel vehicles look bad. If the ML250 BlueTec sold in the EU is capable of 40 MPG US, the GLK should be even better.

The ML 250 bagged the recognition because of the energy-saving features of its 204 hp diesel engine which can go 40 miles while only using 1 gallon of fuel.

http://www.benzinsider.com/2013/01/two-mercedes-benz-cars-recognized-as-most-env- ironment-friendly/