Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Would It Take for YOU to buy a diesel car?

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,915
    edited June 2013
    I replaced the space saver early on in the minivan and put the full size one to good use, having ruined two tires over the years, both in the boonies (5 flats in 14 years). Neither Fix-a-Flat nor an auto club would have worked in either instance.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,678
    I also have intimate experience in Lake Tahoe. You have to go to either Sac or Reno to find anything. Would I like driving down that hill with a RFT getting beat up? Not even a chance. A couple miles to a freeway exit is one thing. Although if you are in a big city you would be risking your life getting off the freeway. Give me a spare tire and my 39 years with AAA.

Still waiting on the VW dealers to call or email. By this time after sending an email to 5 Mercedes dealers, all had contacted me by phone and email. If VW is going to overtake GM by 2018 they better get off their fat behinds and follow up on leads.
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,476
    edited June 2013
    Speaking about LONG in the tooth!!!! ??? TDI? Almost a no brainer.

Since 1974

Too bad NO 73.5 (US aka 128 oz) mpg ( 3.2 l/100km) blue motion for the US markets ! What are the US legislative and regulatory branches afraid of? That we might ACTUALLY USE less fuel ? ;) :lemon:
    edited June 2013
    On the replacement tire sizes for the MB GLK 250 ( for OE run flats) these came up: 235/50/19 and 235/45/20. Tirerack.com does not list run flat replacements. tire replacements for both sizes are pricey. On the whole they are more expensive than the VW Touareg TDI's tires (18 in)
    edited June 2013
  • yankabillyyankabilly Posts: 43
    They are already here
    Not only commercial trucks but passenger cars which eliminates the truck space
    And very expansive

You can also get the truck from fleet service which coast $15000 they send it to Canada to do the add on for Ford.

For the house we have natural gas so all I would need run pipe and have external unit put in
    What is crazy is the fact that MB is not putting them on all the GLKs. That makes it hard to determine the right vehicle. I have a Touareg TDI to test drive tomorrow, if I can get away to do it. If I really like the Touareg I would get the LUX with saddle brown leather and make them exchange the 19" wheels and tires for the Sport 18". All for under invoice. I think the next biggest negative of the GLK is the small tank. That kind of defeats the long range aspect of a diesel. I test drove the ML350 Bluetec also and it was very nice. So that is back on the list. The seats are plusher than the GLK.
    Carbon Credits is the only thing keeping Tesla going. What a scam. Start a company, sell a few over priced cars to the uber rich and let the competition keep you afloat.

(They can buy credits from other companies, such as electric-only Tesla Motors (TSLA), that sell too few cars to be subject to regulation yet still earn credits which they are allowed to sell. Tesla made $85 million selling California and federal credits in the first quarter of 2013.)
    For the house we have natural gas so all I would need run pipe and have external unit put in

Last I read PHILL went bankrupt. The home unit was about $4000. Not everyone has enough gas flow to their home to handle a CNG system. And the CNG tanks have a fixed life span and are expensive.

Most countries have adopted similar CNG cylinder standards. Tanks cannot be recertified after reaching the expiration date set at time of manufacture and must be taken out of service. That leaves vehicle owners two options: retire the vehicle or replace the cylinders.
    GTL is the smartest way to use our abundant natural gas supply. Buy a diesel vehicle and run it on diesel from oil, natural gas or algae. All the benefits of a diesel and none of the negatives associated with alternatives like CNG or EV. Can you imagine the premium the dealers would be adding to diesel vehicles if we could buy diesel for half the cost of RUG?

Smaller-scale GTL plants can produce diesel at a cost of about $1.50 a gallon (the average retail price for diesel in 2012 was $3.92). “The U.S. gas production curve is not going down, it’s going up,” says Sasol CEO David Constable. “We see this product really taking off in the next decade after these plants have been built.”
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,915
    edited June 2013
    Always something interesting getting posted around here. Guess VW will have to come out with a GTL now. :)

"Petroleum experts who have sniffed vials of gin-clear GTL diesel speak of it with reverence.

“It’s a beautiful product,” says Jim Jensen, a Massachusetts-based energy economist. “The kerosene smells like perfume.” (nbcnews.com). Dateline 2005 - so where is it?

Looks like a lot of federal grant monies are being used to study GTL so I guess it'll wind up being just be a trophy fuel for the rich too. :P
    It was only smart business that drove Shell to build their first GTL plant in Qatar. They do have the largest known gas reserves in the World. I am excited that they may build them here as well. It is also exciting that so many fleet, bus and commercial vehicles are switching to CNG/LNG. They reduce the demand for diesel making it less expensive for when I finally buy a diesel SUV. Also GTL is Zero PPM sulfur. Now if the Feds would pony up some money to produce diesel from coal instead of sending it all to pollute the 3rd World countries.
    edited June 2013
    ..."All for under invoice."...

It is truly a good time to buy diesel powered passenger vehicles !! It actually has been for a while.

I also have read in passing that VW is offering 5 or so time (12 mo 24 mo 36 mo 44 mo 66 mo) plans @ .9% financing (less than one percent). I also seem to recall a 72 mo plan but at a higher rate, that escapes me at the moment. So in theory, you could strike a WAY under invoice deal, get a low percentage rate ,9%, drive home with your signature. (money unfortunately would cost you app 37.50 per month) (i.e.. 50,000 * .9%= 450 per year/12)
    As you have pointed out, even a good interest rate under 1% makes them money and gets people to buy. Big companies are better off lending at a low rate than actually having to pay to keep their money in the bank. If the buyer has a good credit score.

The only diesel I have found that is not selling for invoice or below is the MB GL350 Bluetec. They are going above MSRP.
    edited June 2013
    Just got back from 3 hours @ the local MB dealership. I almost didn't get a word in edge wise. You and Fintail were right. MB dealers (or @ least this one anyway) are SERIOUS and motivated ( and literally on steroids-in a good way) I was taken aback by this, but there was literally ZERO pressure. However the exact car they sent me the information on was already sold and GONE. He had to go to plan B, a much more LOADED one. They were more concern about me knowing "the highlights" and my SOTP experiences. They did drop the (over) emphasis on diesel, when they found out they were preaching to the choir. As a much later in the presentation aside, they said if I was to buy, they would schedule 2 to 4 MORE hours to go over the car,.... IN DEPTH ! :confuse: Gee glad I was only there to see one model (MB GLK250 Blue Tec) !

Run flat tires and NO spare are standard.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,346
    edited June 2013
    As you guys know, I am no fan of rims in excess of 17", and 16 in many applications.
    But as I was slugging my innards out today my mind drifts to the CRV replacement sometimes...and today got thinking about those dang 19" even if they aren't gonna be clad with RFTs on the GLK. And I was wondering if maybe larger rims (not wider tho) may actually run quieter than smaller ones, simply because they turn fewer revolutions every mile than smaller ones?? Any thoughts or experiences with this? The large rims seem to be on all the upscale cars, and basically all trims of luxury name brands, where quiet is always one of the desires.
    I have to say my wife and I were pleasantly surprised with the Ride, Handling and comfort of the Touareg. The VW diesel at idle is quieter than either Mercedes 4 or V6 diesels as well as the BMW. I put my ear on the hood and could only tell an engine was running. We only got out on the freeway and about 10 miles total test drive. The 8.5 inch NAV screen is superior to both the BMW and MB units. No way to know if it has better routing. The real key is finding a Touareg TDI you like. South Bay VW is one of the largest dealers and they only get them dribbled out. I told him I would want the Lux in white with saddle brown leather. He said that is what the boss drives and it is beautiful. I would try to beat them down with offering to take the wheels and tires from a Sport model. He also told us they had one Touareg Hybrid. After several months on the lot the boss drove it for a month and they sold it as used $15,000 below MSRP. It did not match up mileage to the TDI model.
    edited June 2013
    As it applies to the MB GLK 250 I really do not know, as it was not possible to do 16 in, 17 in, 18 in, 19 in ABCD tests. That being said, this car was almost tomb - like quiet. The only thing I could really hear was WIND noise. I could every so slightly feel the twin turbos work. But again with SO little mileage on the demonstrator, I did not want to get on it. Indeed, I really did not want to drive it. The sales guy almost insisted.
    I am glad to hear you BOTH had good experiences. This is purely my .02 cents, but that white and saddle brown combination is SHARP.