Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Would It Take for YOU to buy a diesel car?

Comments

• ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,701
    edited October 2013
    If off topic, I will change tack. It just seemed germane to why one would want to get a diesel, which can have longer term consequences: such as: diesels being WAY more adaptable to our roads, higher like model mpg which could result in less gals consumed (as if anybody believes this fairy tale of less consumption anymore) lower cost per mile driven, fuel and others, higher resale values, etc.

The market trend for EXPORTED US refinery products (Congress has prohibited exporting DOMESTIC crude oil but RUG/PUG, D2, etc is ok) also have never been HIGHER !! The funny part in another article, sez we are exporting to China, Russia, Africa, Brazil, Venezuela, and get a load of this, DAH MIDDLE EAST !!! :)

They see us as "ROILING" the markets (taking their TURF?) :) Life's good !!
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,003
    Oh, I think it's on topic in here too - those excess EU cars and tech? Lots of it is diesel and we're an "underutilized" market. And with our longer commutes and wider open spaces, we should be the diesel adopters while it would make more sense if the EU had been the gas/hybrid crowd.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

edited October 2013
    I would TOTALLY agree with the point. As it turns out/defacto we consume (fuel) both at a greater RATE and volume, even as we are a smaller vehicle population. (257.5 M US vs 270 M + European ). We act like we have to invent the (higher mpg) wheel (and at much greater, almost unconscionable COSTs) , when models using the wheel (higher mpg) are on the European markets and have been for YEARS, if not decades ! The run of the mill 03 Jetta TDI 50 mpg @ 90 mph being just one (OLD) example. Indeed, the European model has both more power and extra gear (6 speed vs 5 speed) and will post 52 mpg !!! Why would one want a 04 Prius that indeed gets 44 mpg, but has to be driven like hyper miler Gerdes on a record setting mission, when one can drive XX mph and still get 50 mpg with almost no effort? Indeed with simiilar effort, 62 mpg + !!!!
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 3,163
    And with our longer commutes and wider open spaces, we should be the diesel adopters while it would make more sense if the EU had been the gas/hybrid crowd.

Exactly right, Steve! After WW2 Europe was in shambles. Small cars were the order of the day, and that mentality never really changed over the years. The price of gas and diesel were kept high due to taxes, I suspect to drive the masses to public transportation.

The smaller distances in Europe also meant that travel by train is more common.

And, the most popular class of car in Europe is the C-segment hatch (Focus, Golf, etc). In the US, it's the D-segment sedan (Accord, Camry, et al).

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT / 2010 Mazda CX-7 GT / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4
    Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

edited October 2013
    If we use the 12 Passat TDI as an example ("D"segment I presume?), the "CRAZINESS" is even more apparent. The 12 Paassat TDI is rated 43 mpg H EPA.

The Taylor's posted 84 + mpg going 5 mph under the speed limit !! (95.3% better) Gerdes posted even better than his own record in a gasser/hybrid. @ 77 mpg for a 8,500 miles trip. (I am sure he wanted to complete the trip faster than a covered wagon)

The new Audi A6 TDI, ( not light @ app 4100+ #'s) is rated @ 38 mpg H EPA with a 3.0 L TDI posting 428 # ft !

Solely from the car poiint of view, these are truly the good ole days, the BEST of times !

So how are the big three doing with sales on gasser pick up trucks !! ?? :)
  • ezshift5ezshift5 West coastPosts: 853
    ......at circa 7,000 miles, the JSW TDI is averaging 45 per Fuelly.com. The much respected Accord 6M coupe averages circa 25-27. About 65% HWY. Again regret lateness here.

It's all good

best, ez
    Like you said, it is all good ! If you are driving it lightly to moderately aggressively, @ app 7,000 miles on the clock, the most likely scenario is your mpg will average BETTER on the JSW.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,509
    Drove for over 300 miles yesterday, including a couple mountain passes and some ~80mph cruising. Car claims 39.8mpg.
    edited October 2013
    Essentially the same MPG @ 31 to 34 (as highway trip travel) . The areas are Highway's 101, 1, Monterey (downtown), Monterey, CA, Carmel (downtown), Carmel, Carmel by the Sea, Carmel Highlands, Pacific Grove. The weather and scenery (was) is spectacular !
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,003
    Sounds lovely. I got my watch at Carmel by the Sea in the late 70's.

Timex, found it on the beach. Still works (how's that for mileage?). :D

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

edited October 2013
    Your "timing" could not be more perfect ! Literally and figuratively, this area has something for anybody/everybody. It is a heck of a destination, vacay or otherwise. Any "time" can be the right time for anyone to visit.:)
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    That's really amazing economy out of such a large car!
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 3,163
    Fin, what's your around town MPG with the Merc?

I've always thought that diesels were better as long distance cruisers, and that hybrids were better for around town fuel economy.

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT / 2010 Mazda CX-7 GT / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4
    Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• cooterbfdcooterbfd Posts: 2,770
    So far, so good. I was on vaca. last week (Hershey swap meet) so I didn't drive it last week. (Took the camper-diesel truck got 12.2 mpg). But the second fillup, which was a lot heavier on city driving than normal, MPG guage read 33.5. It took 12.5 gal on 429 mi., which equates to 34.3, but the guage said it used 12.7 gal, which is 33.7. So, I'd say the mileage indicator is fairly accurate.
    edited October 2013
    I think it only makes sense that the more miles and the more gals (closer to an empty tank) that one gets, the more accurate the averages. As a follow- up to the Monterey mpg posting of 31, I did a real world fill and pen/ink 713 miles for 23/26.4 gals for an almost matching 31 mpg.
    I would think that the most accurate accounting would be to divide the trip miles by the number of gals that the computer shows consumed. Gals pumped in on the refill doesn't take into account the differences in temp, nozzle trip sensitivity, etc. from the last fill up, especially if you buy from different stations or use different pumps.

I would think that the one true constant would be the trip mileage/gals consumed on the computer.
    edited October 2013
    Not nearly as good as on the highway. Low-mid 20s, but to be fair, I live in a congested area with negligently managed traffic controls, so I often have evening commutes with average speeds of 10-12mph.

That's why a diesel hybrid sounds appealing to me,
    edited October 2013
    Drove around the Palouse today, a mostly relaxing sunny day on state and county highways. Here's the result:

This includes driving over Alpowa Summit and a couple smaller passes, passing trucks, small town slow traffic, etc.
    edited October 2013
    Well for sure that is the formula !! ?? However the variables you mentioned (and more) are the concessions for operating in the REAL WORLD.

Another: none of my on board computers show the (actual) gals consumed. Nor is there a way to show all the information you alluded to. Sure I can swag it (remaining) from the fuel gauge. So you are saying your Cruz diesel displays actual gals consumed? Even if it did, that would not prevent you from running out of fuel which (to me) is the underlying issue.
    Yes, my Cruze DOES show gals. consumed, AS WELL as distance to empty!!! BTW, as far as running out of fuel, that is why you have a gas guage.