Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Would It Take for YOU to buy a diesel car?

Comments

• houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 6,864
    edited November 2015
    On most, if not all, long term reliability comparisons, Toyota is always at or near the top and VW is always near the bottom. That also is the case with my personal experience. Just saying.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Dodge City, KSPosts: 6,421
    edited November 2015
    And there's always those nagging VW electrical gremlins. I know that even buying a Scion product of the Toyota family the car will be well-made and also hold it's resale value exceedingly well.

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• ruking1ruking1 Posts: 17,494
    edited November 2015
    Gagrice and I are (just) saying that is not true in (our) realities ! Keep in mind we (I actually) have had 8 Toyota's, (5 TLC's). So one could accuse me of being a brand fan boy. So if anything I have more interest overlooking Toyota's faults.

In comparison, that's three VW diesel's and one Mercedes-Benz diesel: all with far less diesel miles. I will continue to say, until it becomes not true , aka changes, that the Toyota gas Land Cruiser's are much more fussy.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 30,571
    carboy21 says: Looks like he never took his car to a car wash after a winters worth of road salt . Happens when you just love german carsv and ignore all others ! LOL

He bought it that way. He was on a very small budget and needed a 4 wheel drive where he was living in AK. Yes it was probably used and abused. Not uncommon in AK. Still a 6 year old vehicle should NOT be rusted through. He kept it a few years and bought a used 2002 Yukon. He likes it much better than the 4Runner. It is now 13 years old with 10 years on AK salted roads and NO rust. Toyota has rust issues. So much for their great reliability.

On Friday, Toyota Motor Sales USA Inc. was slammed with a class action lawsuit alleging that its popular truck model, the Toyota Tacoma, suffers from a defect making that model particularly vulnerable to rust.
    “Toyota USA has long known that the frames on its Tacoma vehicles lack adequate rust corrosion protection,” the Toyota Tacoma class action lawsuit says. “Despite this knowledge, Toyota USA failed to disclose the existence of this defect to plaintiff and other class members at the time of sale.”

edited November 2015
    Yes, so what you're saying actually has been known to me for easily 45 years! The answers are actually fairly simple. Toyota does not want to spend more $$'s to buy materials that are more rust resistant, one being galvanize steel, like VW uses!
  • carboy21carboy21 Posts: 760
    I am sure I can find many rusted cars of all brands at the scrapyards :)
    edited November 2015
    carboy21 said:

I am sure I can find many rusted cars of all brands at the scrapyards :)

I didn't say rustproof did I ? So yes a no brainer!

Most folks do not care for their vehicles like they should. That is another reason why I like to evaluate a car on 12 years/180,000 miles. IF one can get it to those parameters, it's easy to get it to 24 years & @ 360,000 miles. Most people, as you would agree, probably do not think in those terms, let alone do the minimum maintenance needed.

So for another example, we had change the SHOCKS on a 1994 TLC.@ app 21 years/ 250,000 miles. The shocks made by an OEM supplier, sold under its own brand name, cost $207, shpd to my door. Naturally, I could DIY, or pay shop time.

The funny part is I may have changed the shocks way too early. Crazy you say? Well, one clue, with more than 4 variables: all tire sets have gone 90,000 miles. We changed the last set a tad early because one tire developed a bubble. That of course is probably not the shocks fault.
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 6,864
    edited November 2015
    Here is a pic of my 2003 Tacoma. I bought it for $10,000. in 2010 and sold it for $10,500. in 2014. It had 156,000 miles on it. The picture was taken right before I sold it. No rust. While I had it I just did oil and filter changes. Also put on new timing chain, water pump, set of tires, and brakes when I first bought it.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

• fintailfintail Posts: 37,872
    edited November 2015
    Sometimes, but maybe not always. US cars are often spec'd less, but they also are often much cheaper. There are also lower spec variants in Euroland and Blighty not found in NA - can't get a manual cloth interior 4cyl E or 5er in Murka, but they are common in Europe. What gets me most is that Euro rental cars are usually spec'd much higher than US rental cars. Diesel rental cars in NA are virtually unknown, too.

The pound is valuable partly because it has a legacy from the past where it 240 pence. It has gradually lost value over time, especially since being floated. I think it was at about $2.50 at the time of decimalization, now maybe $1.55 today/
    carboy21 said:

I have lived in the UK for 6 years and can safely say that the Ford and GM have the UP contented versions of the American counterparts. One of the reason being that the UK Pound is far stronger then the US $ and there is more profit per car in UK for the US carmakers. Same applies to the BMW , MB and Audi . Even in rest of the Europe, cars are speced much highr then the American counterparts. Does not apply to top of the range BMW and MB which are of course only made in Germany.

edited November 2015
    Like most of the things nowadays products are primarily link to cost/s in whatever the market/s will bear, want etc. So there are more shades of gray, rather than either or.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 51,108
    "Volkswagen AG said Tuesday that another 800,000 vehicles have overstated fuel efficiency – and that could cost the automaker another $2.2 billion.

Most of the vehicles are diesel, but not all. VW said carbon dioxide levels “and thus the fuel consumption figures for some models were set too low during the CO2 certification process. The majority of the vehicles concerned have diesel engines.”

VW admits to new problem in 800,000 cars
    (Detroit News)

Moderator - Buying questions? Please include city or zip code and trim you are shopping, FWD or AWD, etc.

"The United Nations climate change chief said on Tuesday she was "delighted" by the Volkswagen emissions cheating scandal because the company will now hasten manufacturing of electric and hybrid cars, speeding a global shift away from fossil fuels.

Christiana Figueres, executive secretary of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change, noted that Europe's largest carmaker has said it will expand production of electric and hybrid cars and said that was a silver lining to its cheating on diesel emissions tests."

U.N. official 'delighted' at VW scandal, sees clean car 'revolution' (thefiscaltimes.com)

Figueres is from Costa Rica.

Moderator - Buying questions? Please include city or zip code and trim you are shopping, FWD or AWD, etc.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 52,774
    Germany at least made diesel cars fun to drive, you have to give them that.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

edited November 2015
    stever said:
    "The United Nations climate change chief said on Tuesday she was "delighted" by the Volkswagen emissions cheating scandal because the company will now hasten manufacturing of electric and hybrid cars, speeding a global shift away from fossill fuels.
    Have they discovered Lithium ore in CR ?
    ;)
    edited November 2015
    Cool, a coddled born at the top career public sector official with no engineering or hard scientific background is "delighted". People such as this are responsible for a lot of the headaches we enjoy today. And of course she also praises the most favored "partner".

Interesting bio

Maybe VW should have hired more people from Swarthmore and the London School of Economics instead of Winterkorn (Ph. D in Metal Research and Metal Physics) or Ferdinand Piëch (mechanical engineering)?

Of course, dieselgate has been blamed on software engineers. Oops, current CEO Müller studied computer engineering science.

Costa Rica does rank as one of the top environmentally conscious nations on earth---but not as high as Iceland and Switzerland.

Sometimes, but maybe not always. US cars are often spec'd less, but they also are often much cheaper. There are also lower spec variants in Euroland and Blighty not found in NA - can't get a manual cloth interior 4cyl E or 5er in Murka, but they are common in Europe. What gets me most is that Euro rental cars are usually spec'd much higher than US rental cars. Diesel rental cars in NA are virtually unknown, too.

USA is a highly competitive and price sensitive market . So cars are priced and speced according to what the market can take. Same applies to rental cars. US rental rates are dirt cheap most times for mass market cars. Where in Europe can you rent a mid-size car for 25$ a day ?
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Dodge City, KSPosts: 6,421
    edited November 2015
    Wow-does V-Dub now need ta raise diesel and ghastly powered car prices? They're taking a huge hit on the debit side of the ledger with all these charges against them.

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

edited November 2015
    Costa Rica does rank as one of the top environmentally conscious nations on earth---but not as high as Iceland and Switzerland.
    You betcha !

Only  industry they have is miles of lovely beaches . 
    Warren Buffet can buy the whole damn " country "  without breaking sweat :)
    carboy21 said:

stever said:

"The United Nations climate change chief said on Tuesday she was "delighted" by the Volkswagen emissions cheating scandal because the company will now hasten manufacturing of electric and hybrid cars, speeding a global shift away from fossill fuels.

Have they discovered Lithuim ore in CR ?
    ;)

Yep ! ( code for HELL NO! ) When asked to take one for the team, it's called NIMBY!
    I don't know if I want a person with a degree in social anthropology doing anything with powertrain management. More rich bleeding heart SJWs at work, they've done so much for us all.

Delighted...ugh.
    stever said:

Maybe VW should have hired more people from Swarthmore and the London School of Economics instead of Winterkorn (Ph. D in Metal Research and Metal Physics) or Ferdinand Piëch (mechanical engineering)?

Of course, dieselgate has been blamed on software engineers. Oops, current CEO Müller studied computer engineering science.

edited November 2015
    Good one! I wonder what she thinks about the huge pollution caused by the materials necessary in electrics in hybrid. I suspect the answer is "no comment". I smell another one with a 20000 sq ft house and a private jet lecturing about being wasteful.
    ruking1 said:

Have they discovered Lithuim ore in CR ?
    ;)

Yep ! ( code for HELL NO! ) When asked to take one for the team, it's called NIMBY!

I think Europe is price sensitive too, at least outside of the company car racket. I also suspect the equipment level on the average car is still more in the US - at least on MB/BMW. A huge amount that is standard in NA is optional in Europe, and has been for a few decades. It was very apparent starting in the 80s.

Of course, that US rental midsizer will also be a fleet-specific (minimal) spec if not a fleet specific model. I can usually rent a luxury car much cheaper in Europe than in the US too, so that evens out.
    carboy21 said:

USA is a highly competitive and price sensitive market . So cars are priced and speced according to what the market can take. Same applies to rental cars. US rental rates are dirt cheap most times for mass market cars. Where in Europe can you rent a mid-size car for 25$ a day ?

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 30,571
    fintail said:

Cool, a coddled born at the top career public sector official with no engineering or hard scientific background is "delighted". People such as this are responsible for a lot of the headaches we enjoy today. And of course she also praises the most favored "partner".

Interesting bio

I found that interesting as well. CR like Norway are blessed with lots of fast running rivers to exploit hydro power. Then Norway would be just another poor country if not for oil. Easy to be a self righteous politician when you have it all to start with. I wonder if her vehicle fleet was EV if CR would be able to handle the load?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/mar/30/truth-behind-costa-rica-renewable-energy-reservoirs-climate-change
    "Porsche Cars North America, Inc. today decided, in view of the unexpected U.S. EPA notice received yesterday, to voluntarily discontinue sales of model year 2014 through 2016 Porsche Cayenne Diesel vehicles until further notice. We are working intensively to resolve this matter as soon as possible. Customers may continue to operate their vehicles normally."

Porsche Cars North America Statement Regarding Voluntary Stop Sale of Porsche Cayenne Diesel Vehicles (prnewswire.com)

Touareg and Q7 next ?
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 36,250
    carboy21 said:
    Touareg and Q7 next ?
     Plus the A6 and the A7

2016 VW Jetta 1.4T SE / 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

yeah but he couldn't buy Switzerland :)
    carboy21 said:

You betcha !

Only  industry they have is miles of lovely beaches . 
    Warren Buffet can buy the whole damn " country "  without breaking sweat :)

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"
    stever said:

"Porsche Cars North America, Inc. today decided, in view of the unexpected U.S. EPA notice received yesterday, to voluntarily discontinue sales of model year 2014 through 2016 Porsche Cayenne Diesel vehicles until further notice. We are working intensively to resolve this matter as soon as possible. Customers may continue to operate their vehicles normally."

Porsche Cars North America Statement Regarding Voluntary Stop Sale of Porsche Cayenne Diesel Vehicles (prnewswire.com)