Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Would It Take for YOU to buy a diesel car?

Comments

• ruking1ruking1 Posts: 17,321
    edited February 9
    stever said:

It's good to see - they need to tweak the tests to get closer to the real world results, or just test the ones on the roads. Reminds me of all the tweaks the EPA has had to do over the years to try to get mpg ratings that are somewhat real. Too bad it's too expensive just to have the regulators do all the testing in the first place.

What you are saying is totally revisionist history ! Bas Ackwards if you will. Car makers test their vehicles in the REAL world, but if they don't post per EPA/CARB direction, law, they're screwed!

So really you should post a video of a test driver driving the EPA/CARB test. It is not, I repeat NOT the real world! The driver does test/drive a graph on a screen ! It is insanity if one expects to get real world driving emissions & mpg figures from the EPA test run ! You will get EPA/CARB TEST figures!!

So for example, I post what I really get in the real world on 4 diesels and folks probably think I'm insane?
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Dodge City, KSPosts: 6,399
    Oh no. No we don't! :p

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 50,525
    edited February 9
    That's what I'm getting at - the mpg test is done in a lab on a dyno with professional drivers using "real" gas and the results are spot-checked. Of course the ratings are done so you can compare models to models and there's all sorts of warnings that your mileage will vary. And consumers are always mad because their mpg doesn't get near the test results. But at least you can figure out that a compact will get better mpg than the Homermobile you lust for.

But for emissions, we need to get out of the lab and out in the real world where our real lungs live. That means real testing with sniffers or whatever that will make it harder for the testing to be spoofed on test day and in the weeks after.

Moderator - Buying questions? Please include city or zip code and trim you are shopping, FWD or AWD, etc.

• slorenzenslorenzen Posts: 653
    gagrice said:

I know I haven’t lost a relative, I just want to be treated fairly.’ They are all quite reasonable.”

I just want my $1000 Visa cards and a New VW Touareg TDI LUX. B) White with Saddle Brown Leather.

Would you please donate the current ride to me? I'll create a tax deductible foundation...

:p
    edited February 9
    Slow diesel News Day! :'(

ULSD $1.89, RUG $1.87, PUG $2.11.

I signed up for, but have not receive the (2nd) $1000 VW care package & VW Roadside Assist. B)

Filled 12.88 gal, 476 miles for (shy of) 37 mpg. (2014 MB GLK 250 BT @ app 28,000 miles) Terrible commute traffic! It's reputedly the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd WORSE commute in the NATION! The week leading up to the Super Bowl 50 didn't help either !

So how about those Denver Broncos ???!!!

Talk about insult to injury! http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/02/cam-newton-super-bowl-taxes
    slorenzen said:

gagrice said:

I know I haven’t lost a relative, I just want to be treated fairly.’ They are all quite reasonable.”

I just want my $1000 Visa cards and a New VW Touareg TDI LUX. B) White with Saddle Brown Leather.

Would you please donate the current ride to me? I'll create a tax deductible foundation...

Can't say I blame you there ! It's a pretty sweet ride!
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 30,482
    slorenzen said:

gagrice said:

And you would know being the only one here at Edmunds to see it. I got a feeling I will have to be happy with the $1000 gift. Which I have not received yet either. I went on line and claimed it the day I got the letter. I will give them a month before I call and check on it.

ruking1 said:

Slow diesel News Day! :'(

ULSD $1.89, RUG $1.87, PUG $2.11.

I signed up for, but have not receive the (2nd) $1000 VW care package & VW Roadside Assist. B)

Filled 12.88 gal, 476 miles for (shy of) 37 mpg. (2014 MB GLK 250 BT @ app 28,000 miles) Terrible commute traffic! It's reputedly the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd WORSE commute in the NATION! The week leading up to the Super Bowl 50 didn't help either !

So how about those Denver Broncos ???!!!

Talk about insult to injury! http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/02/cam-newton-super-bowl-taxes

That is crazy the way CA taxes, Oh I forgot, they get me good every year. I should have never given up my Alaska residency.

The result: Newton will pay California 86.3% of his Super Bowl earnings if the Panthers win. Losing means his effective tax rate will be a whopping 172.2%. Oh yeah, he will also pay the IRS 40.5% on his earnings.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2016/02/03/california-taxes-will-eat-up-all-of-cam-newtons-super-bowl-earnings/#2715e4857a0b7b9fb0de50a6
    I spoke too soon. Just walked down and picked up the mail. And there is my VW love gift. I have to take it to my dealer for certification. Then I have till Jan 2017 to spend it. I will get a couple nice VW TDI shirts for sure, to show my appreciation.
    I'll have what you are having! Does it beat something like this? http://finance.yahoo.com/news/gm-recalling-half-million-trucks-220513536.html
    edited February 10
    Meanwhile in the other fish to fry department, VW has airbag issues, that cost MB app $457. per car. This can't be good news.
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/volkswagen-recalls-680-000-vehicles-in-u-s-due-to-air-bag-problems-1455108890
    Another cover up by the automotive industry.

The issue involves defective inflator and propellent devices that may deploy improperly in the event of a crash, shooting metal fragments into vehicle occupants. Approximately 34 million vehicles are potentially affected in the United States, and another 7 million have been recalled worldwide.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/massive-takata-airbag-recall-everything-you-need-to-know-including-full-list-of-affected-vehicles/
    I don't think there's a car left out there that doesn't have air bag problems. The latest batch I read about didn't even involve Takata.

Moderator - Buying questions? Please include city or zip code and trim you are shopping, FWD or AWD, etc.

edited February 10
    Yes, another government FORCED boondoggle. I bet you the government doesn't even know how many lives saved by installing all these dangerous airbags, that of course we were told were SAFE !

If we are to use GM's ignition problem as an example, (subset) it probably would've been way CHEAPER to pay off the death claims of those that put airbags in as an option,( dying as a result of deploying that option) rather than force airbags on everybody. Again the critical concept here is choice.
    edited February 10
    The other option was four point seat belts. I heard that the manufacturers fought those harder than airbags or the three point belts. Get strapped in real good and how are you going to play with all your gadgets?

Not much on topic either but I had mostly forgotten about the Flying J/Pilot conspiracy mess.

Ex-Pilot president, 7 others indicted in diesel fuel rebate fraud (knoxnews.com)

edited February 10

stever said:
    Why wouldn't all parts of the emissions system be under that 80K mile EPA mandate? Seems Toyota had some battles over catalytic converters going bad prematurely. Tell me again what good the EPA/CARB is for the consumers and those that breathe the air?
    If this is a systemic problem with VW TDI Adblue cars, I would not buy in a cold state. Or buy where emissions are not tested and remove the entire Adblue system. I'm sure that is a simple procedure to eliminate the need for Adblue. Save you money along the way, and make very little difference in NOx emissions.
    edited February 10
    gagrice said:

Why wouldn't all parts of the emissions system be under that 80K mile EPA mandate?

Excellent question. Not sure if that story has legs but if it does, I guess other news outlets will pick up on it. There's some other VW news but I feel like I'm piling on too much (easy target?).

I did notice DEF at one of the Interstate truck stops the other day for sale for $2.49 a gallon at the pump.

Diesel here is mostly $1.89 with one station a dime cheaper.

• stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 4,053
    gagrice said:

If this is a systemic problem with VW TDI Adblue cars, I would not buy in a cold state. Or buy where emissions are not tested and remove the entire Adblue system. I'm sure that is a simple procedure to eliminate the need for Adblue. Save you money along the way, and make very little difference in NOx emissions.

The engine won't run if the adblue is not there. Removing the system would require a software change.
    edited February 11
    stevedebi said:

gagrice said:

The engine won't run if the adblue is not there. Removing the system would require a software change.
    I am sure it would require both software and hardware tweaks to eliminate the Adblue system. The engines run in the EU without so it can be done. Just don't get rid of the stuff, you may have to redo to OE for sale. A large number of diesel & gas PU truck drivers disable their emissions except for the bi-annual CA testing. That is why I see diesel gate is a lot of to-do over nothing. Not to mention the money wasted on CARB could be used to improve the worst public schools in the Nation.

edited February 11
    In the meantime, how does a buck gas sound? http://www.wsj.com/articles/gas-at-1-looms-soon-for-parts-of-u-s-1455038613

With probably cheaper ULSD prices, that would put my 15,000 miles per year commute cost at roughly 31 to $35 per month !
    .99 cent a gallon gas sounds scary cheap.

• fintailfintail Posts: 37,528
    I remember it, late 1998.
    GO REDDING!

Diesel on!
    edited February 11
    stever said:

.99 cent a gallon gas sounds scary cheap.

I'm OK if YOU, Eco con or anyone else for that matter, wants to pay four $$ to 10 $$ a gallon! I am sure the Eco cons can easily find ways for ONLY Prius' says to pay up to $10 a gallon ! ? Or folks like... You! :D
    edited February 11
    I'm always wary of the unintended consequences. Like my taxes taking a big jump, since oil revenues make up 25% of the budget here. And I have a lot of friends up in Alaska with their jobs and pensions at risk. $4 is a bit much, but I'm pretty okay with gas around $2.50 a gallon.

And while it's nice to "stick" it to the Saudis et.al., just how destabilized to you want Russia to get?

As they say, interesting times.

edited February 11
    stever said:

I'm always wary of the unintended consequences. Like my taxes taking a big jump, since oil revenues make up 25% of the budget here. And I have a lot of friends up in Alaska with their jobs and pensions at risk. $4 is a bit much, but I'm pretty okay with gas around $2.50 a gallon.

And while it's nice to "stick" it to the Saudis et.al., just how destabilized to you want Russia to get?

As they say, interesting times.

I'm not sure what you mean, nor am I sure what you imply, but the USSR collapsed TOTALLY before & after it's involvement in Afghanistan. Literally, nobody knew that ! Probably more importantly, not too many people cared ! 40 to 45 or so years ago, the USSR was a walking dead basket case. We did get a lot of people on Social Security, Medicaid and Welfare from Russia! To this day, Russian immigrants get HUGE educational benefits ! The Russian mob even found a new home!? You do remember that we even got a Russian president who "defected"!?
    So at 15,000 miles per year @ 36 mpg and $1.00 at gallon for diesel, yearly commute cost hits $417. ! /12 mo= $34.75 per mo! CPMD: fuel= 2.78 cents ! T
    It's just a case of being careful what you wish for. You may get it.