Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question on TSB: Toyota Sienna Door Welds Causing Clicking

Comments

• sdr2sdr2 Posts: 2
    edited July 2011
    I, too, have purchased my first and last Toyota. It's a 2004 Sienna XLE. The driver's door check mount is only the latest failure. I thought it was simply the plastic part, but it turned out that the spot weld fastening the door check mounting cup to the door frame had failed. I also found out that it's obscenely expensive to repair.

Before that, however, both power sliding door mechanisms failed. In each case, the carbon steel airline cable -- which the operating mechanism uses to pull the door open and closed -- came flying out of the side of the vehicle when it failed while the door was operating. It turned out the plastic sheath surrounding the carbon steel cable had cracked, allowing moisture and salt to enter, leading to rust and ultimately cable failure. In each case the cost would have been about $2,000 per door to repair. Thus, failures of door components on 3 doors leave me with a total bill of at least $4,500 to repair. Toyota offered no help.

It is interesting, however, that failure of the same carbon steel airline cable -- when supporting the spare tire rather than operating the sliding door -- has led to a manufacturer recall. It's a safety issue, and potential liability exposure for Toyota when those spares fall off on the road and cause accidents.
  • I have had problems with my driver's side door for several years now. In the beginning it just did not open smoothly. It has become progressively worse to the point that the door felt like it would fall off. I took it in today to get the oil changed and specifically to look at the door. I have serviced my Van at the dealership I purchased it from in 2005 brand new -Appleway Toyota in Spokane, WA. When I spoke to the tech over the phone he stated I may need a new hinge and that he had not heard of many problems like I was describing. At the service center the tech found the problem and showed me wear the metal was almost completely separated in the hinge area! I could not believe my eyes! I would never have expected any vehicle let alone one that had been purchased new and cared for like a baby would have such a major flaw! HE stated he would get back to me with an estimate to fix. A few hours later I get a call and am told I must have slammed it too hard and that it would cost $500 to weld it back together. To add punishment he stated that the welding would be NOT be guaranteed and likely would fail. So I asked for the cost of a permanent fix that was guaranteed and was told that I would have to get a new door shell for $1600-$1800!!! Being internet savvy I went to the web to see if this was a known issue. As I do not slam my doors and I do not hang off the doors as I was accused! I found numerous forums and posts stating the same problem I am having! SO I called and asked to speak to the service manager. I explained the situation and that I found this was a known DEFECT. He tells me yes they do know of the problem and that Toyota provided an enhanced warranty of 100K miles or 5 years from date of purchase. OF course I just passed the 100K mile mark and I am at 5and half years. This made me upset to say the least. I explained to him that he could see our records and that we have had every service performed by their service center. I asked why this was not taken care of within the warranty time period especially given that I had brought it up in the past when the tech would get my miles. He stated he had no record of me bringing up the issue. I then asked why I never received notification of the issue. To which he replied it was not a recall and thus no notification was sent. I went on to state that my loyalty to their dealership was evidently not worth anything since they had not taken note of my concern over the door, they had not checked the door knowing there was an issue and furthermore their techs had checked my mileage on numerous occasions and so they knew there was a problem with the driver’s door not opening properly!! He gave me a song and dance that he only got paid if he performed service so there was no motivation for him not to fix a known problem. He told me he would check with his regional service manager to see if he could get them to pay for the door to be welded and he would get back to me. There are several key points I am very upset and disturbed about 1. The defect occurring in the first place: I have owned many Toyotas and to this point would only have purchased a Toyota or Lexus 2. The poor manner in which Toyota handled the defect: It is one thing to have a failure, it is another to then FAIL to communicate the issue and make sure to resolve the problem. 3. The lack of care and service performed by a Toyota dealership service department. 4. The service centers attitude towards a loyal customer ( Purchased new $43K van in 2005, purchased Lexus less than 6 months ago, all service performed by their service centers, AND even have used only their body shop!!!)
    Now the BIG question does anyone know of a class action law suit?? Seems this issue would be appropriate for such action.
  • My 2006 Sienna with 65k miles, driver side door just start making a loud popping/ cracking noise also. So will Toyota fix this even if I do not have an extended warranty since it is a common known defect? Is there a toyota reference number ... we can refer the dealer to?
  • IF you are going to an actual Toyota service center they WILL no about it:) It is a warranty enhancement which covers either 100K miles or 5 years from date of purchase. HOwever, if you did not purchase the vehcile new from a Toyota dealer they may not cover it.
  • I have a toyota sienna 2006, have the same problems as stated here: driver side door welds failure, making a loud popping noise when open and close; auto sliding door is also jamming. I took it to the dealer where I bought only to find out the warranty has expired and presented with about 2K to fix the problem. There's got to be a way to address this issue--a recall maybe--and not pay that outrageous amount! I'm done with Toyota.
  • I had the same issue a year ago. I ended up talking to Toyota who told me about the $500 price to fix which I declined but they said they would look into covering the cost since it was a know defect.

In the mean time I fixed the issue by inserting a bolt with a beefy washer through a hole next to the failed weld spot and tightening it. The hole was previously used by one of the plastic clips holding in the rubber weather strip. The bolt/washer acted like a clamp and held the door arm in place. To do this you have to remove the driver door panel and stick your hand inside the door. It is tricky but it seemed to work.

After a month the makeshift clamp still worked but then Toyota called us back and decided to cover the cost of fixing the weld joint... no cost to us!
  • Well, the door started clicking last week, just looked up the problem, man, I'm not looking forward to dealing with this problem. Reading the tread did help, I want to thank everyone who has posted. I have a call into my dealership and have my fingers crossed, but from what I've read, I'm not holding my breath. I also bought my Sienna XlE Limited brand new from the dealership, and two cars from there since then, and have always taken it back to the dealership to maintain service. Will let you know what happens.
  • keritkerit Posts: 2
    The dealership might tell you to call Toyota directly, but since you have been having the vehicles serviced at the dealership...you might have better luck. When we called Toyota the reply was "well, had you been having your van serviced at the dealership...we might be more willing to work with you on this" which personally I think is a load of you know what. It's an admission they're doing something wrong in my mind.
  • I had the same problem, and San Juan Capistrano took care of me... no charge and gave me a rental. Good luck
  • loracvloracv Posts: 1
    Steve are your rivits still holding? Thanks
  • Had mine welded a year ago...just started clicking again...
    just sold the van....no more toyota...
    let someone else deal with it!
  • zeebo1zeebo1 Posts: 4
    "Don't know.. I sold the car in May. I'm now driving a Highlander...
  • Own an 05 Sienna, same problem with the drivers door. Took it to Toyota in June, would not cover it at the time, van only had 30k on it but was over 5yrs old. Dealer told me to call Toyota, otherwise $500 to weld the door hinge.

Took the van to a body shop, welded the door for $200.
  • I too have a 2004 Sienna van bought brand new form our dealer. This past summer, the driver door started making clunking noises and its getting worse...contacted dealer.. they know nothing about this???? Called Oahu main office to be told that it was documented as a defect in 2007 and an extended warranty was set up for the repair but no notice was sent to those of us that purchased this van....I find this amazing because the failure of this weld can be dangerous as noted in some of the other posts i have read. They did not think it was important enough to notify us of this defect????? or the resultant extended warranty ???? has anyone started a class action suit for this?
  • I called Toyota and they said I was beyond the 5 year warrantly period. I am the 2d owner for my 2006 Sienna, initially purchased Fall 2005. I had it repaired at a body shop for $650. One body shop said they would not know until they took apart the door if they could repair or would need to replace the door.
  • I have a 2004 Toyota Siena with busted weld joint on divers door, and local Toyota said they never heard of a recall or defect. I will try to drill a hole and place a sheet metal screw (but I found I needed a angle drill). Apon further examination, I found that the inner cup of the sheet metal that is welded to door has a crack or tear (maybe it can be welded)??
  • My repair held for about two years.. then the cup you describe basically disintegrated.. I successfully removed the remainder which dropped to the bottom of the door. I disconnected the rest of the door check hardware from the door post and had the car 2more years before I traded it in. The entire mechanism is merely a door check. It stops the door from opening too far and holds it open for entering and exiting. It is not a safety issue! There was however a recall by Toyota, but it was only for cars under 100k miles. Definately a design flaw. There should have been a class action suit.
  • adiehl13adiehl13 Posts: 28
    edited November 2011
    Even though this an old message, I had to post since I was an earlier poster on the weld issue...... Fast forward to this year- and guess what, we had the same cable thing rust and break just as you described. This too would have been close to a $2000.00 bill if I hadn't gotten the platinum warranty (a complete fluke that I purchased that because we never do).....

Let's see- I got my first Toyota celica in college 1990, and have been a Toyota loyalist since.......well, since the first problems with the Sienna cropped up-

Honda here I come. Oh and I forgot to say- can't wait to have a navigation system that can be used when it's needed- let's see, like when a road is closed and We want to get directions on the fly? Duh.
  • Went to Toyota today with my 05 Sienna, 61 k miles and I am out of luck. I have had it 6 years.
    Since the crack is too large to weld, they say my Extended warranty will not cover it. First they said I could have $500 of it covered, but since it can't be welded and the door must be replaced, no help at all. Not a dime. Wow Toyota! This is my third Toyota van and I am sure it will be my last. I really used to LOVE Toyota, but not any more What the heck is this extended warranty anyhow? Why is this not covered for me, but others are getting it covered with theirs? I bought 100 k 7 years.............Hmmmmm
  • That is amazing! You have a 100k mi warranty and they still won't cover it! Is it from a Toyota dealer?
  • Yep, supposed to be one of the best extended warranties they offered at the time. I am not through with them.
    They said they only would have covered up to $500 of the weld, but since it is the door, so sorry no help at all.
  • buknoybuknoy Posts: 2
    edited December 2011
    I have the same problem too. I have the 2006 toyota sienna CE. Mine just started a couple of weeks ago and I thought it was just the hinge and I put WD40 thinking that it is just getting rusty but unfortunately after a few more observation i noticed that a part of the door wasn't welded good and that thing is the one making the noise.
  • Has anyone started a class action suit, yet?

It seems there are two major issues:

Driver door weld popping

Sliding doors quit working

Please, I am ready for a class action, because I have been battling with Toyota USA about this issue and they said the would pay for half, as long as it was determined that it was not our fault. That would make us pay almost $1,000 just for our half alone - not good enough in my estimation if it's a known factory defect!
  • I'm in. They know it is a defect that is why they did the TBA and extended the warranty to 100 k miles, or 5 years. Conveniently just under the years this problem seems to show it's ugly face. You think it just needs Wd 40, but no, the problem is huge! Look at how many are affected. How can this be our fault? You would think they would step up and realize that they did a horrible job on the weld and take care of those of us who are affected. No one should have to buy a new door, on a six year old car. We have bought a lot of Toyota cars in our family. I even got my Mother, brother, sister and daughter to buy Toyotas. NEVER AGAIN! I talked to Toyota Care, They could care less! :mad:
  • Oh, and another thing, who knows whether the new door after we shell out 2k is going to have the same problem? :sick:
  • Where did you find the information about it being dangerous? I'd like to know more about my crappy door.
  • article in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that reveals the automaker will voluntarily fix the front doors on 600,000 units of its Sienna minivan (current model shown above) built between 2004 and 2006. Apparently there may be an issue with the door check mounting panel on both of the minivan's front doors. The door check mounting panel is the piece that keeps the door open, and if the part fails the door can swing freely and unexpectedly shut – obviously a concern for parents with kids. Toyota has traced the problem back to bad spot welds performed at the automaker's Princeton, Indiana factory.

Toyota will be sending out letters on Nov. 2nd to owners of said Siennas explaining the problem and offering to fix it. To do so, Toyota will offer what it calls a "warranty enhancement" to these vehicles, covering the cost of these door repairs on Siennas up to five years old with 100,000 miles or less. Though a bad spot weld on the door check mounting panel would normally be covered by the Sienna's standard warranty, that only lasts 3 years or 36,000 miles. Toyota has also said that it will reimburse owners who have already had the doors repaired on their own, in some cases at the cost of thousands of dollars.

Curiously, Toyota is not calling this a recall. Of course, what automaker wants to refer to a problem with one of its vehicles as a recall if it doesn't have to? As long as Toyota takes care of the Sienna door problem to the satisfaction of its customers, they can call it a Happy Happy, Joy Joy Service Encouragement Bulletin.
    HEY, why didn't I get that letter?????
  • snw219snw219 Posts: 9
    edited December 2011
    It seems that a lot of us could write what everyone else has written, especially about how poorly and unwilling Toyota USA & the dealerships are at taking responsibility for this. I have contacted the Oregon State Attorney Generals office and they have written back that they are looking into this and have contacted Toyota (not sure if it's the dealership or the main corporation in Torrance, CA or both). We live in CA but are close to the Medford, Oregon dealership. I spoke with the service manager and was treated very rudely, even though I was near tears of frustration (yes, I'm female, my dad passed two years ago and I'm helping my mom with this issue). I ended up calmly saying to the service manager, "I can't believe you're arguing with me about this." Hung up and wrote to the Oregon State General Attorney's office right after.

The State Attorney's office wrote back the next day that they're looking into this and to that they are seeing if other people are experiencing the same issue so that they can see if there is cause to take further action. They also stated that they are contacting the company. I sent them links to the forum discussions, youtube videos and hope that they see this is a big issue. I've heard that there are over 3,000 complaints regarding this issue.

Toyota USA has agreed to pay half and the service manager thought they were 'generous.' What's generous with leaving us with over $1,000? Generous would be replacing our van with a new van of equal model number - XLE Limited. Can't believe we invested this much money for a poorly made car. Doing the right thing by fully covering the costs, providing a rental car, paying for our hotel expense (we live 75 miles away) would only be doing the right thing - paying only half is actually stealing from our livliehood, when it's a known factory defect issue.
  • Thanks for posting this. The curious thing is that they know it began with the 2004 models, which would make the five year warranty null and void, as in my case. We have approx 75,000 miles on our van, well under the 100,000 mile mark. This warranty should be 5 years OR 100,000 miles (and not whichever comes first).

Yes, they are attempting to make it seem like they are being 'generous' as in our case by paying half. What's generous with leaving us with over $1000 for our half when it's something that was not our fault and beyond our control?

Class Action Suit anyone???
  • Please let me know if there is a class action on this matter because I have the same problem too. Thank you and goodluck to us!