Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question on TSB: Toyota Sienna Door Welds Causing Clicking

Comments

• I just took my car to the local body shop today. He said in the last year, they have fixed at least 50 of these. I don't live in a huge town. That is pathetic. My estimate was just under 2k as my door is definitely not repairable. This just stinks! Had I got a notice in the first place, I would have known to get it in right away. At first you just think your hinge needs to be oiled. Who could ever imagine that you would be needing to replace your whole door because of Toyota's shoddy welds. Getting madder................... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • pooredpoored Posts: 2
    edited December 2011
    The driver side door on my 2006 Sienna just broke. I will be seeing the dealership tomorrow. I know I am outside the time period. I'm really curious what the Richmond, VA dealership can do? :mad: :cry:
  • I have mine eight years now and also had the same problem everyone is talking about with the drivers side door. well toyota gave me the door but still pay about 1,200.00 to have it installed and painted. please someone let me know if there is a class action going on i would really like to stick it to toyota!!!
  • I have been in email communication with a representative from Toyota USA. They have agreed to pay for half and the service manager at the dealership said he thought they were being 'generous' by offering to pay for half. What's generous with leaving us over $1000 for our half of the bill? Not to mention, it's 150 miles round-trip to the nearest dealership, they're going to keep our car for 3-5 business days and give us no loaner? Seriously! Nothing is generous about this - giving us a new van would be generous!

Please, anyone know anything about beginning a class action suit? I've contacted Oregon's State General Attorney, as suggested by one website on steps to take to get this fixed. If one person has success, because of these steps, that's good but what about the rest of us who are stuck with a huge bill and/or a temporary fix at a lower cost? The state attorney's office wrote back that they would investigate this and if it seemed that there were enough consumers affected by this, they might take action. My suggestion is that everyone should write to their own State Attorney General's office, reference as many sites concerning this as you can---these discussion forums, this site: http://sites.google.com/site/toyotasiennadefects/ etc.

Let your attorney general's office know that there are many, many consumers affected by this and that it has been determined that this is a factory defect, and that the defect often doesn't show up in some cars until after the extended warranty ends. Toyota should have offered us 5 years or 100,000 and honored those cars that are under 100,000 miles. Are we being penalized and punished for not driving our cars hard enough for the problem to have shown up within fives years, it would seem.

Does anyone on here know an attorney or is an attorney who might be able to see about creating a class action suit?
  • Someone created a facebook page for the sliding door issues with the van and stated that if they receive over 200 people, they can start a class action suit. Has anyone created a facebook page for this particular defect? If so, please send us the link and if not, I'm willing to create a page.
  • I went ahead and created a facebook page for this issue:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Toyota-Sienna-Van-Door-Weld-Issue/101820339938012- ?skip_nax_wizard=true

For anyone interested.
  • Let's create that page........
  • Hi,

I posted this earlier but here's the link for the created facebook page about this issue:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Toyota-Sienna-Van-Door-Weld-Issue/101820339938012- ?sk=wall
  • Thank you for the information regarding the article in Milwaukee paper. I'm heading to Wisconsin in a few days for a position and hopefully, Wisconsin will be friendlier than my local dealerships.

There are three dealerships - two are 75 miles away and 1 is 150 miles away. All three were supposed to call me back with information and not one of them returns my call, unless I call them again - and even then, they say they will call me back and haven't. I'm not being rude with them, at all, and have actually had good conversations with them. Total neglect, which seems to have been the problem in the first place, that got us to this point.

Will Toyota redeem themselves?
  • kkls1kkls1 Posts: 1
    My door broke today, I contacted Toyota consumer Affairs and they told me that the vehicle was out of the 5yr/100,000mile warranty period, and there was nothing they can do!

I will post something as soon as I make some headway with this Company. San Diego,CA
  • pooredpoored Posts: 2
    I was in the same boat. I was able to secure the bracket with a 1/4 x 3/4" Allen head bolt. Access is really difficult but the bracket on the inside of the door is actually a "U" shaped bracket and a hole can be drilled on the face of the door. The entire interior panel and speaker has to be removed in order to secure a nut on the back of the bolt. I purchased all stainless hardware and a stainless nylock nut. I also used blue locktight on the bolt. If you drop the nut inside the door there is no way to get it out without removing the door (which you need to prevent if possible) I coated the sheet metal parts with paint to prevent rust. I used tape to secure the nut to a wrench during installation. I finished in about an hour, getting the interior panel off took more time than drilling the hole and mounting the nut and bolt.
  • snw219snw219 Posts: 9
    edited January 2012
    That's great that you were able to do this. If I were more mechanically inclined and had the right set of tools, I would attempt this, too. There is a facebook page created for this specific issue, if you're interested:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Toyota-Sienna-Van-Door-Weld-Issue-Creating-Poppin- - g-noise/101820339938012?sk=wall

you might have to copy and paste the web address - it looks likes the hyperlink might be cut off by the text-wrap.

This is in case we are able to get a class action suit for Toyota to repair the defect at their cost or reimburse those who have had to pay for it themselves.

Thank you for taking the time to post about your repair with the details.
  • I had the same problems with my 2004 Toyota Sienna. I actually bought it used last June and had problems such as the sliding doors freezing, driver's door weld making the popping noise, and the trunk randomly closing on me while I was unloading groceries! After reading many posts online about this, I became very discouraged that it was going to be expensive and a pain to solve. NOT TRUE. I went directly to the closest Toyota dealership (Toyota Vanderstyne on Ridge Rd, Rochester NY) and they were excellent!

Igathered my facts, printed out the recall article about the faulty door welds in the front and let Toyota know I was aware of this recall. Now although my Toyota had passed the time limit for the recall 5 yr. or 100,000 miles from original owner purchase. I bought extended EasyCare warranty with the car and it covered everything! (minus my $100 deductable)

The problem with the sliding doors was that they were freezing up due to cold weather (we live in Rochester, NY). I left my car there for the day and Toyota put silicone spray on the sliding doors top stop them from freezing, washed my car for free, gave me a free can os silicone spray, replaced both my driver & pass. door welds, and fixed my trunk. Apparantly there was a recall for a part on that also. My warranty covered $1100 worth of work! Toyota took care of the legwork for me, made me feel valued, and had my car up & running in a day. My advice is to go directly to a Toyota dealership, even if you didn't buy your car there originally, they work with these problems all the time and know what to do. I love my Sienna and Toyota hasn't screwed me yet, so stay positive. :)
  • snkbitsnkbit Posts: 2
    My 2004 Toyota Sienna van has the following problems:
    The spot weld failed and if you look at the metal - the metal actually has TORN!!!!
    The Side power sliding doors have failed - was told it would cost $1900 to fix. Was told the motor died but you can actually hear the motor run. My husband took the door apart to make it a manual one (Toyota wanted $300 to do this) and it is a $100 cable part that has a plastic covered cable that stripped.
    The Sonar goes on and off - no rhyme or reason - just all the time.
    The rear hatch door will come back forcefully on your head (it IS run by a motor) when the weather is cold.
    I can NOT believe Toyota put out such a bad product. NEVER, NEVER had this sort of thing happen with my Toyotas before!!!!
    Dealerships in Albuquerque do NOT want to fix anything under recall or service bulletin!!!
  • I have the same problem but i have a 2003 Sienna and it happened to the front passenger door. Any suggestions on what i should do? I purchased extended warranty but that expired. Thanks!
  • are you saying that you drilled a hole through the outside skin of the door, an made the connection?

Gary Anderson 650 678 1634
  • I hopoe you get this. Get them to check the sonar button. After years of trying to figure out why mine keeps going off, its a defective board or something. I can lightly touch the button now and it'll go off.
  • deniser3deniser3 Posts: 6
    So my 2006 Sienna is doing this clicking thing too...after I just paid $582 to have the steering sensor replaced that was causing the skid control to come on for no reason (another TSB "repair" that Toyota would not name a "recall" and would not pay for).

This van is costing me more than it's worth lately and I am thinking a new vehicle with monthly payments might cost less over the next few years!

ARGHHH
  • szacinflszacinfl Posts: 1
    edited April 2012
    I have a 2006 Sienna and both my doors were making the popping sound. I took it to the dealership and they said the recall had expired. I didnt know recalls expire? Well now the popping noise is gone and the doors swing open freely so dont park next to me. Now my windows will only go down a quarter way before they hit the medal (i think). This is the last Toyota I ever by. Its a shame i realy liked toyota until this happend.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Safety recalls don't expire - but warranties do. Maybe that's what he meant.
    edited April 2012
    This wasn't a recall, it was a warranty enhancement and they do expire. I took my van to an auto body shop that Toyota recommended and they were very familiar with this problem, having repaired quite a few. He welded my door and only charged me $75.00 (and washed my van and vacuumed it!). Door is like new, so it might be worth a price quote if Toyota can recommend someone who can do welding...I will call the 800 number anyway to see if they will re-imburse me at all.

I had my passenger side window quit working on me (only went down like 2 inches and not back up) and I had that replaced last summer, it was expensive. But I suspect my boys whacked it hard with a frisbe (?) and cracked some plastic clips inside, but who knows...Good luck!
  • bbbuzzybbbuzzy Posts: 1
    $75 is the lowest I've heard of for this repair. Where are you located and what's the name of the body shop? Thanks.
  • skr8skr8 Posts: 1
    edited May 2012
    I too have just experienced this problem. About two weeks ago our '06 Sienna LE (83k miles) drivers side door began creaking, so I lubed the door check with some silicone to no avail. Then the creaking turned into cracking, and eventually loud popping. I disassembled the door only to find the entire door check assembly moves. Upon further inspection, I found where the internal spot welds had failed, which I find exceedingly odd since I take immaculate care of my vehicles (both of which are Toyota's; for now).

First thing I did.... snoop around the net. Lo and behold, tons of information pops up. This info triggered a memory of receiving a similar notice. I rifled through my glovebox for the owners manual/warranty package and discovered a notification title "2004 through 2007 Model Year Sienna Front Door Check Mounting Panel Warranty Enhancement Notification" (with no date of publication). This defined that Toyota will offer a "5 year/100k mile OR whichever comes first" coverage. Ironically, just below that it states, "If you have not experienced this condition, please insert this letter into your Toyota Warranty Information booklet for future reference". Now that the failure has occurred just outside of the coverage period, I had reason to go and look for it. :mad:

So I contacted my local Toy dealer only to be told they can do nothing for me since I'm outside of the 5yr/100k mile "enhanced warranty" period. So, I contact Toyota Corporate @ (800)331-4331, who are very empathetic but inform me they cannot do nothing to help since my vehicle falls outside of the specified "enhanced warranty" period. Please pass the facebook link along as we need momentum for further action. There's 4 Toyota's in our family, which will be out last if this is how they choose to treat their customers related to manufacturing flaws. The Sienna currently has a second "warranty enhancement" (Rear Liftgate Strut) notice, and recall (Spare Tire Hoist) associated with it. :sick:

Please announce the Facebook and Google site to everyone you know with a Toyota. This topic needs momentum if it is to gain recognition and remediation!!

Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Toyota-Sienna-Van-Door-Weld-Issue/101820339938012- - - - - - - - - - ?skip_nax_wizard=true
    Google:
    http://sites.google.com/site/toyotasiennadefects/
  • belovedangelbelovedangel Posts: 4
    edited June 2012
    I'm dealing with the same problem: driver's door popping noises. Dealer said it's a broken weld, the whole door has to be replaced at the cost of close to $2000, it will take 3-4 days, no loaner provided, everything at my own costs.
    I've sprained my leg, trying to get in and out.
    I've dealt with Toyota corporate - no assistance. TOTAL RIP-OFF!!!
    2004 Sienna with only 56,000 miles.
    Recommendation: Call Office of Defects Investigation, NHTSA, 1-888-327-4236
    and report this safety problem. THE MORE REPORTS THEY GET, THE BETTER CHANCES THEY'LL GET TOYOTA TO ISSUE A RECALL!!!
    Check out www.nhtsa.gov
    We should get media attention to this problem, obviously it's a manufacturing defect, as someone said, it's a matter of WHEN the weld will break, not IF it will break.
  • belovedangelbelovedangel Posts: 4
    edited June 2012
    I'm dealing with the same problem: driver's door popping noises. Dealer said it's a broken weld, the whole door has to be replaced at the cost of close to $2000, it will take 3-4 days, no loaner provided, everything at my own costs.
    I've sprained my leg, trying to get in and out.
    I've dealt with Toyota corporate - no assistance. TOTAL RIP-OFF!!!
    2004 Sienna with only 56,000 miles.
    Recommendation: Call Office of Defects Investigation, NHTSA, 1-888-327-4236
    and report this safety problem. THE MORE REPORTS THEY GET, THE BETTER CHANCES THEY'LL GET TOYOTA TO ISSUE A RECALL!!!
    Check out www.nhtsa.gov
    We should get media attention to this problem, obviously it's a manufacturing defect, as someone said, it's a matter of WHEN the weld will break, not IF it will break.
  • Also check out https://sites.google.com/site/toyotasiennadefects/, www.safercar.gov, carcomplaints.com
    Just google "Toyota sienna broken welds", many people are having this problem and out of warranty. If all of us report this problem to NHTSA, hopefully, it will gain momentum.
    These reported complaints help car owners prove that a safety failure is the automaker’s responsibility because it is a recurring problem. SO, THE MANUFACTURER MUST ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY AND PAY FOR THE REPAIR!!!
    edited June 2012
    Sorry, haven't checked this thread in a bit...I am outside of Boston and the repair shop is Dudley Street Auto in Arlington. Door still working super (2004, not 2006 Sienna, woops, typo previously). $75.00 total to fix, I wouldn't spend $2000 to get a whole new door! OUCH!

Had another weird thing happen, the heat shield (whatever that is) came loose and it sounded like my tail pipe was ready to fall off. Drove into Toyota and they removed it (said it was old and the bolts couldn't be tightened) for FREE! Said I didn't need it for now. Well, I feel like I hit the lottery, twice...waiting for the next big expense though...
  • How long did it take to fix the door? For how long did you have to leave the van at the shop? Is your driver's door working fine as before without the popping noise when you open and close? $75 sure beats $2000. Thanks for sharing the info.
    edited June 2012
    I dropped the van off around 7PM after they had closed and left the key in the drop box. They fixed it the next day and it was done I believe by like noon or early afternoon. The guy said he had to take the door off and apart to fix it, so half a day seemed reasonable. The door is perfect, no noise or problems. The guy said if it happens again just come back and he'll take care of it. No way I would pay $2000 with this van at 106,000 miles. If you can't find someone to fix it right away, the door should not fall off, it just will swing in the breeze so be careful! The noise is the most annoying thing, I think. Good luck!
    PS - I do seem to recall this should be fixed early, the longer you wait the worse it gets and if it is bad enough they may not be able to save it with welding...