Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question on TSB: Toyota Sienna Door Welds Causing Clicking

124»

Comments

• I took our 2004 Sienna to a friend, and he fixed this for me for $50, but I gave him $80 because I felt he was being too good to us. He (1) removed the door panel; (2) removed the little hinge attached to the car frame so the door would open wider; (3) pre-drilled a hole through the place where the bad weld broke; (4) screwed a bolt through the hole. Problem fixed! It was a simple fix that I recommend having a professional apply due to the difficulty of removing the panel. The hardest part was simply removing the door panel, since there are quite a few screws holding it on, including one hidden underneath the door window controls console (that you have to pop out to see/reach the screw).

So.. moral of the story: It's a simple fix. Don't weld. Just drill a hole and fill it with a steel bolt.
  • bulgardbulgard Posts: 1
    Having the exact same problem. Time for Toyota to issue a recall and fix the problems.

Toyota North America
    Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
    19001 S. Western Ave.
    Torrance, CA 90501 USA
    Toyota USA Phone Number: 1-310-468-4000
    Fax Number: 1-310-468-7800
  • perilynperilyn Posts: 1
    Same issues with my 2005:
    1) Failing hinge welds on driver door. Dealer did "Toyota-approved" / temporizing repair job under 'warranty enhancement' in 2008, which is now failing. Dealer now telling me I will have to eat the price of replacing door or go somewhere else (i.e., a body shop) to try my luck on another repair.
    2) Driver's side sliding door failing: won't open when it gets cold and needs major manual help when it is warm, will not open on its own. Dealer is fixing something on that today for $400 (details to follow). Apparently, Toyota is just now issuing an 'enhanced warranty' for rear latch assembly and cable assembly issues for 2004-2010 Sienna's, so I am hoping my repair will be covered under that. Make sure you ask your dealer if this is your issue. I did not get any letter about said issue (nor the door hinge issue for that matter).
    3) Rear hatch closes randomly after opening: This occurs most often when it is cold. No help on this from dealer or Corporate HQ.

Called NHSTA (888-327-4236) to report all three today. Felt good, but doubt it will amount to anything.

Called Toyota HQ (800-331-4331) they told me about the 3 enhanced warranties (front door weld, sliding rear door latch and cable assemblies and said they had nothing on the hatch door). Offered me a $1000 'customer loyalty assistance' towards the purchase of a new Sienna. This essentially gave me the message that I should cut my losses on this lemon and take my chances with a new Sienna. Bravo Toyota! Way to dodge the issues. While we have loved the Sienna( despite all the door issues), I am not sure I will be staying a "loyal" customer.
  • We just discovered the same door weld break that I've read so many of you describe. Very frustrating that Toyota sent out 600,000 letters to extend the warranty for an obvious manufacturing defect like this.
    A weld breaking on the inside of the door is not a normal wear issue. This is a Toyota after all - I might have expected this on our Chrysler products - but even those didn't have weld problems. We're the original owner of this Sienna and have had 7 other Toyotas in our family! Never have we had any problems with welds on any of the cars and this one has less than 100K - barley broken in by Toyota standards.

After visiting my dealer to find out that 1) it's a weld break inside the door and not just a silicone fix, 2) When I asked why a weld wouldn't be a safety recall or a TSB at the very least, he mentioned that there was a notice sent (though I didn't get one) but it only extended the warranty to 5 years.

After getting a $500 estimate I looked it up on the internet with LOTS of details about similar issues. I called and reported the safety defect to NHSTA. I also called Toyota corporate at the number listed before my post. They opened a case and offered to have a customer relations manager call me next week. The local dealer did mention that they fix many of these and the Sienna is the only car they have seen with this issue. We'll see what they offer, if anything. Their future with us is riding on it.
  • otusotus Posts: 1
    I've got the same problem with a 2005 Sienna. We have the extended warranty, but last winter when we tried to address this problem, the dealer's body shop said it wouldn't do the weld, even though it was authorized to do the work by Toyoya's inspector -- the body shop said it needed to replace the entire door (!!!) which Toyota wouldn't cover. Toyota said, take it to another dealer. Another dealer's [I think this service guy asked if I had had an accident] body shop said the same thing.

Why they can't just do the weld to make the repair isn't clear.

But we're stuck between Toyota who say this small weld will fix the problem and the dealer's contractor, who says it won't. We're going to complain as per this board and try to make something happen.
  • Heard now twice from dealer. Toyota corp says they will not offer ANY money toward repair. Dealer at first said they would have helped if I had done all my maintenance with them. Now offered to knock $100 off $500 the repair. This is our 7th toyota but will most likely be our last. Our hondas have never had this kind or treatment from the manufacturer.
  • I have had the same issue with my '06. Toyota is mailing me an offer in writing (as I demanded, not easy to get) and will see what they offer me. Dealer said new door was needed @ $2200. Not a happy camper. If the offer is less than complete fix at no cost this will be my last Toyota. I have been a loyal Toyota customer for 30 years. I guess profits come before quality and customer service now.
  • Just wanted to add to the list of complaints about Toyota. I too had a problem with door clicking and went to dealership in San Diego. I was told the only solution was to have the door replaced for $2000. My vehicle was over 100,000 miles and older than 5 years. I took it to a small shop who tried to weld the door. It lasted only for one day. I returned it and they rewelded it again. It lasted a couple of months and now the clicking is back. I agree this certainly lowers the resale value of an otherwise pretty decent vehicle.
  • klinklin Posts: 54
    Horrendous experience with Toyota Consumer Affairs and my purchase dealer (Piercey Toyota San Jose CA) on this issue.

They refused to help citing a lawsuit settlement agreement that prohibits them to assist in anyway (after extended warranty).

Toyota Consumer Affairs is terribly bureaucratic. They don't return phone calls, no emails, don't get to work after 9:30am, always on vacations, etc..

This is my first time using them. I own 3 Toyotas as recently as a new Camry this September - I am totally appalled by their treatment to loyal customer. Probably no Toyota for my next car since they don't standby their quality and customers.

Has anyone heard about this lawsuit?
    Any suggestion on the next step?
    Should I just go to local body shop and fix it myself?

Thanks for your advice!
  • Did you ever get a response from Toyota?
    Thanks,
    Jamie
    Below is my latest status update: Toyota not willing to help!

Toyota is not standing by its customers and quality! I am a loyal customer with 3 Toyotas, most recently a 2012 Camry Hybrid in Sept 2012. My older Sienna has a minor annoying door noise issue and I asked for Toyota goodwill assistance.Louis Carrillo from Toyota Corporate just gave me a very cold reply that they denied my plead - very disappointed! Probably no Toyota for the next car! Buyer beware!
    I suggest everyone to post their frustrations on "Toyota USA" Facebook site - it will get Toyota attention :)
  • My 2005 Sienna has exactly the same issue. taken to dealer, but was told it is out of warranty. Apparently, this is a very common problem. I also saw videos on youtube showing the exact same problem. I was not sure whether the car is safe to drive with such a front door defect. No more Toyota for me for sure.
    I finally decided to repair the door at a local body shop for only $150 (2-hr job). Hope the repair will last.

I got quotes from $150 to $3000 - so be aware. I was told by all body shops that this is a very common problems so pervasive on Sienna 2004-2007 (or so).

Some said this can be a safety hazard if the door problem is severe since the door may fall off.

Write on Toyota Facebook page and vent your frustrations.
    Hope this info helps.
  • 2004 Toyota Sienna....I too am infuriated at the unwillingness to repair a known defect! What needs to happen before Toyota repairs THEIR faulty workmanship? Driver door fall off? Driver unable to get out of vehicle? All writings I have read regarding this issue are accurate....$2000 to replace the faulty door or a welder for 150-200$. The welding repair does not stay fixed. I speak from experience! I am so frustrated at this point with the only recourse being to make my voice heard so here is my first stop! Squeaky wheel as the saying goes.
  • stromgolstromgol Posts: 1
    Toyota did this repair for FREE. My 2005 Sienna got this problem when it was no longer under warranty. The exact problem is the little black plastified piece of metal in the articulation of the door, more exactly what holds it in place in the door. The function of this little arm is to allow the door to hold its position half opened or completely opened. This failure will not cause the door to fall off like some posters mentionned, since the hinges are not impacted, nor is the door latch.

How did I get it fixed for free? I have a very bad temper... I am a man and I did a scene, describing real loud their car as being more unreliable than a Government Motor car. I was so loud that the showroom buyers came to see what was happening at the service desk! This is when the owner of the dealership rushed in to ask what was happening (never saw that guy before), they looked into their computer system and then told me that this was covered by a "special warranty" valid forever!

The above means three things:

- First, this is what you call a "hidden warranty", used only when a very angry customer (check!) shows up.
    - Second, Toyota knows this is a defect resulting from their manufacturing process.
    - Three, the same will happen to you passenger's door eventually... It is just a matter of opening/closing frequency.

The repair done was the welding solution in the dealer's body shop, as I understand it they had to dismantle the door and they also had to paint the hinge section since welding will make the paint bubble up.

Hope this helps.
  • dude1323dude1323 Posts: 2
    i am able to provide a simple, inexpensive, "bolt-in solution" to this common problem with the 2005 toyota sienna-- let me know if you would like one... :o)
  • uucowboyuucowboy Posts: 1
    dude1323 - does your solution work on a 2004 Sienna?
  • dude1323dude1323 Posts: 2
    yes my solution works on this vehicle...i can sell you one with my e-bay account, or i can ship one person-to-person....let me know what you would like to pay for one, and after you see it works, pass the solution along to a fellow sienna owner... :o) these are great vans-- the solution works great, no welding, and it can be done at home... best wishes, dude1323
  • bicyclerbicycler Posts: 1
    Dude,
    I'm in need of your solution also. How do I get it?
    What is your ebay address?
  • zontar101zontar101 Posts: 2
    I have the same year/model and I seem to recall that Toyota had a recall on the gas shocks that hold the rear door up. I could see in cold weather they might have a problem and whack you with the door.

See if you can get the dealer to find the recall notice and replace the shocks.
  • imdunnimdunn Posts: 1
    I'd be very interested in finding out more about your solution as well, Dude1323 - Please advise as to how to find you on EBay.

Thanks!
  • rickco1rickco1 Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Sienna with 160,000 miles on it, and the weld broke. Body shop cost to repair was $430, so I decided to fix it myself. You need a right angle drill (hammer drill), JB Weld, Two Stainless steel Screws with a machine head, and a drill bit the size smaller than the screw. 1, Unbolt the limit bracket on the main door frame. Note how the plate moves. Drill holes in top and bottom with plate pulled close to the door frame. Mixs JB Weld and place a dollop at each "weld point", where your holes are located. Use right angle drill with a Phillips bit to drive in the two screws. Screw the bolt back on the main door opening and you are done! So far it has fixed the problem for a total of about $7.34! Total time 15 minutes, not counting shopping time.
  • komdkomd Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Sienna, and this has just happened to me. I am very interested in your simple, inexpensive, "bolt-in solution." I truly hope I hear back from you.
    Thank you very much.
  • fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,733
    edited August 2013
    My Sienna is a 2008, so no guarantee it is exactly the same as the older Gen-II models that seem so subject to early failure.

Not the most sophisticated drawing, but after comparing the basic construction of my older Subaru to the Toyota, I'm left scratching my head. Why did Toyota take something so simple and basic as a bolt-on cup, and add an intermediate plate held on with a single spot weld on each side?? An age old bulletproof design compromised by a flimsy piece of sheet metal. More cost, more complexity, and unfit to perform the job long term.

Hmmm... having problems posting a drawing directly, but the link seems to work.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t456/Fibber2/Toyota%20Repair%20Misc/DoorChec- - k.- jpg
  • mike65401mike65401 Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    My 2005 Sienna had the popping noise and of course Toyota wouldn't do anything about it except offer to fix it for $2000. I searched and found where people had fixed their own so I tried it today and it works perfectly and only took about 3 hours including taking the door off and putting it back on. I spent about $4 to fix it. There are good youtube videos on how to remove the door panel and even remove the door. It is kind of intimidating but I managed to do the whole job with no help, so it isn''t to tough if you have some one to help you. I saw where people either used bolts or screws to reattach the broken plate. I decided to use stainless steel pop rivets and sheet meal screws. The rivets assure that the metal plate won't pull away from the door again, and the screws are there to make sure the rivets don't shear off. I drilled thirteen holes and used about 7 3/16"x1/4" rivets and 6 1/2" x #12 screws. The door works perfectly and I can't imagine that it will ever fail again. See the pix of the fix.

http://i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t631/dude65401/siennadoor1_zpsfb8b7d4a.jpg

http://i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t631/dude65401/siennadoor2_zps0ade6e9c.jpg

Tools used were drill with 3/16" bit and one slightly smaller for the screws, a ratchet with 10mm, 12mm sockets and 10mm and 12mm box end wrenches, as well as phillips and regular screw driver. I also had to use some electrical tape to reattach wiring to guides in the door.

PS - If you have the popping noise, I wouls suggest you at least unfasten the door opening limiter until you get it fixed. Each time the door pops it is doing a little more damage to the plate.

PPS - Make sure your window is in the up position before you take the door off. Otherwise you couldn't get to the area where you need to work.
  • snuesnue Posts: 3
    Yep.. Me too on the door weld. My door was clunking for almost a year-my now ex-husband told me just to use WD 40 in it (ha!). What got me into a body shop was that suddenly it wasn't clunking BUT the driver side door window wouln't go down.The body shop quoted me 350 for the job-I think it took him WAY longer than that amount. Annoying to hear that this is a problemothers have had.
  • average_owneraverage_owner Posts: 1
    edited December 2013

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. My 2004 weld didn't break until 2013. I'm not looking forward to dealing with the dealership on this repair. I've always heard that you shouldn't buy a first-model-year vehicle but it looks like it wouldn't have mattered in the case of the Sienna. I see a lot of the same problem for many years after 2004. We've had plenty of other first-model-year type problems with the Sienna, mainly associated with the doors, all five of them. It may be time to simply trade the vehicle in. I'm not going to spend a lot of time arguing with them over this though. Life's too short. I'll just carry my business elsewhere. Nissan is manufactured locally and all the other manufacturers will happy to sell us a car. Besides, the best value is a used car. I can probably get one of those for about twice what one door repair on the Sienna runs.

Sorry, Toyota.

• I just bought a 2006 Sienna, the seller told me there was noise at the driver door which this model has at about 80/90K miles, but it just cost about $300.00 to fix. I believed him so I bought it. but today when I asked a technician to check the door, he said it's door welding defect and will cost about $500.00; since it a welding defect, why Toyota does not do recall? we should ask our attorney to help us, Toyota should take this responsibility! who will be with me to have a try?

• fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,733
    edited January 21

There we go! They finally upgraded the software to allow easy photo posting. The design (IMHO) is flawed, and relies on a simple spot weld to hold the cup in place. Why not simply bolt it directly to the door as has been done for years quite successfully?

The failure is expensive and annoying, but unlikely to be life-threatening or vehicle disabling and thus not recall worthy. Best of luck with your lawsuit.

photo DoorCheck.jpg

124»