Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question on TSB: Toyota Sienna Door Welds Causing Clicking

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Safety recalls don't expire - but warranties do. Maybe that's what he meant.
  • deniser3deniser3 Posts: 6
    edited April 2012
    This wasn't a recall, it was a warranty enhancement and they do expire. I took my van to an auto body shop that Toyota recommended and they were very familiar with this problem, having repaired quite a few. He welded my door and only charged me $75.00 (and washed my van and vacuumed it!). Door is like new, so it might be worth a price quote if Toyota can recommend someone who can do welding...I will call the 800 number anyway to see if they will re-imburse me at all.

I had my passenger side window quit working on me (only went down like 2 inches and not back up) and I had that replaced last summer, it was expensive. But I suspect my boys whacked it hard with a frisbe (?) and cracked some plastic clips inside, but who knows...Good luck!
  • bbbuzzybbbuzzy Posts: 1
    $75 is the lowest I've heard of for this repair. Where are you located and what's the name of the body shop? Thanks.
  • skr8skr8 Posts: 1
    edited May 2012
    I too have just experienced this problem. About two weeks ago our '06 Sienna LE (83k miles) drivers side door began creaking, so I lubed the door check with some silicone to no avail. Then the creaking turned into cracking, and eventually loud popping. I disassembled the door only to find the entire door check assembly moves. Upon further inspection, I found where the internal spot welds had failed, which I find exceedingly odd since I take immaculate care of my vehicles (both of which are Toyota's; for now).

First thing I did.... snoop around the net. Lo and behold, tons of information pops up. This info triggered a memory of receiving a similar notice. I rifled through my glovebox for the owners manual/warranty package and discovered a notification title "2004 through 2007 Model Year Sienna Front Door Check Mounting Panel Warranty Enhancement Notification" (with no date of publication). This defined that Toyota will offer a "5 year/100k mile OR whichever comes first" coverage. Ironically, just below that it states, "If you have not experienced this condition, please insert this letter into your Toyota Warranty Information booklet for future reference". Now that the failure has occurred just outside of the coverage period, I had reason to go and look for it. :mad:

So I contacted my local Toy dealer only to be told they can do nothing for me since I'm outside of the 5yr/100k mile "enhanced warranty" period. So, I contact Toyota Corporate @ (800)331-4331, who are very empathetic but inform me they cannot do nothing to help since my vehicle falls outside of the specified "enhanced warranty" period. Please pass the facebook link along as we need momentum for further action. There's 4 Toyota's in our family, which will be out last if this is how they choose to treat their customers related to manufacturing flaws. The Sienna currently has a second "warranty enhancement" (Rear Liftgate Strut) notice, and recall (Spare Tire Hoist) associated with it. :sick:

Please announce the Facebook and Google site to everyone you know with a Toyota. This topic needs momentum if it is to gain recognition and remediation!!

Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Toyota-Sienna-Van-Door-Weld-Issue/101820339938012- - - - - - - - - - ?skip_nax_wizard=true
    Google:
    http://sites.google.com/site/toyotasiennadefects/
  • belovedangelbelovedangel Posts: 4
    edited June 2012
    I'm dealing with the same problem: driver's door popping noises. Dealer said it's a broken weld, the whole door has to be replaced at the cost of close to $2000, it will take 3-4 days, no loaner provided, everything at my own costs.
    I've sprained my leg, trying to get in and out.
    I've dealt with Toyota corporate - no assistance. TOTAL RIP-OFF!!!
    2004 Sienna with only 56,000 miles.
    Recommendation: Call Office of Defects Investigation, NHTSA, 1-888-327-4236
    and report this safety problem. THE MORE REPORTS THEY GET, THE BETTER CHANCES THEY'LL GET TOYOTA TO ISSUE A RECALL!!!
    Check out www.nhtsa.gov
    We should get media attention to this problem, obviously it's a manufacturing defect, as someone said, it's a matter of WHEN the weld will break, not IF it will break.
  • belovedangelbelovedangel Posts: 4
    edited June 2012
    I'm dealing with the same problem: driver's door popping noises. Dealer said it's a broken weld, the whole door has to be replaced at the cost of close to $2000, it will take 3-4 days, no loaner provided, everything at my own costs.
    I've sprained my leg, trying to get in and out.
    I've dealt with Toyota corporate - no assistance. TOTAL RIP-OFF!!!
    2004 Sienna with only 56,000 miles.
    Recommendation: Call Office of Defects Investigation, NHTSA, 1-888-327-4236
    and report this safety problem. THE MORE REPORTS THEY GET, THE BETTER CHANCES THEY'LL GET TOYOTA TO ISSUE A RECALL!!!
    Check out www.nhtsa.gov
    We should get media attention to this problem, obviously it's a manufacturing defect, as someone said, it's a matter of WHEN the weld will break, not IF it will break.
  • Also check out https://sites.google.com/site/toyotasiennadefects/, www.safercar.gov, carcomplaints.com
    Just google "Toyota sienna broken welds", many people are having this problem and out of warranty. If all of us report this problem to NHTSA, hopefully, it will gain momentum.
    These reported complaints help car owners prove that a safety failure is the automaker’s responsibility because it is a recurring problem. SO, THE MANUFACTURER MUST ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY AND PAY FOR THE REPAIR!!!
    edited June 2012
    Sorry, haven't checked this thread in a bit...I am outside of Boston and the repair shop is Dudley Street Auto in Arlington. Door still working super (2004, not 2006 Sienna, woops, typo previously). $75.00 total to fix, I wouldn't spend $2000 to get a whole new door! OUCH!

Had another weird thing happen, the heat shield (whatever that is) came loose and it sounded like my tail pipe was ready to fall off. Drove into Toyota and they removed it (said it was old and the bolts couldn't be tightened) for FREE! Said I didn't need it for now. Well, I feel like I hit the lottery, twice...waiting for the next big expense though...
  • How long did it take to fix the door? For how long did you have to leave the van at the shop? Is your driver's door working fine as before without the popping noise when you open and close? $75 sure beats $2000. Thanks for sharing the info.
    edited June 2012
    I dropped the van off around 7PM after they had closed and left the key in the drop box. They fixed it the next day and it was done I believe by like noon or early afternoon. The guy said he had to take the door off and apart to fix it, so half a day seemed reasonable. The door is perfect, no noise or problems. The guy said if it happens again just come back and he'll take care of it. No way I would pay $2000 with this van at 106,000 miles. If you can't find someone to fix it right away, the door should not fall off, it just will swing in the breeze so be careful! The noise is the most annoying thing, I think. Good luck!
    PS - I do seem to recall this should be fixed early, the longer you wait the worse it gets and if it is bad enough they may not be able to save it with welding...
  • I took our 2004 Sienna to a friend, and he fixed this for me for $50, but I gave him $80 because I felt he was being too good to us. He (1) removed the door panel; (2) removed the little hinge attached to the car frame so the door would open wider; (3) pre-drilled a hole through the place where the bad weld broke; (4) screwed a bolt through the hole. Problem fixed! It was a simple fix that I recommend having a professional apply due to the difficulty of removing the panel. The hardest part was simply removing the door panel, since there are quite a few screws holding it on, including one hidden underneath the door window controls console (that you have to pop out to see/reach the screw).

So.. moral of the story: It's a simple fix. Don't weld. Just drill a hole and fill it with a steel bolt.
  • bulgardbulgard Posts: 1
    Having the exact same problem. Time for Toyota to issue a recall and fix the problems.

Toyota North America
    Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
    19001 S. Western Ave.
    Torrance, CA 90501 USA
    Toyota USA Phone Number: 1-310-468-4000
    Fax Number: 1-310-468-7800
  • perilynperilyn Posts: 1
    Same issues with my 2005:
    1) Failing hinge welds on driver door. Dealer did "Toyota-approved" / temporizing repair job under 'warranty enhancement' in 2008, which is now failing. Dealer now telling me I will have to eat the price of replacing door or go somewhere else (i.e., a body shop) to try my luck on another repair.
    2) Driver's side sliding door failing: won't open when it gets cold and needs major manual help when it is warm, will not open on its own. Dealer is fixing something on that today for $400 (details to follow). Apparently, Toyota is just now issuing an 'enhanced warranty' for rear latch assembly and cable assembly issues for 2004-2010 Sienna's, so I am hoping my repair will be covered under that. Make sure you ask your dealer if this is your issue. I did not get any letter about said issue (nor the door hinge issue for that matter).
    3) Rear hatch closes randomly after opening: This occurs most often when it is cold. No help on this from dealer or Corporate HQ.

Called NHSTA (888-327-4236) to report all three today. Felt good, but doubt it will amount to anything.

Called Toyota HQ (800-331-4331) they told me about the 3 enhanced warranties (front door weld, sliding rear door latch and cable assemblies and said they had nothing on the hatch door). Offered me a $1000 'customer loyalty assistance' towards the purchase of a new Sienna. This essentially gave me the message that I should cut my losses on this lemon and take my chances with a new Sienna. Bravo Toyota! Way to dodge the issues. While we have loved the Sienna( despite all the door issues), I am not sure I will be staying a "loyal" customer.
  • We just discovered the same door weld break that I've read so many of you describe. Very frustrating that Toyota sent out 600,000 letters to extend the warranty for an obvious manufacturing defect like this.
    A weld breaking on the inside of the door is not a normal wear issue. This is a Toyota after all - I might have expected this on our Chrysler products - but even those didn't have weld problems. We're the original owner of this Sienna and have had 7 other Toyotas in our family! Never have we had any problems with welds on any of the cars and this one has less than 100K - barley broken in by Toyota standards.

After visiting my dealer to find out that 1) it's a weld break inside the door and not just a silicone fix, 2) When I asked why a weld wouldn't be a safety recall or a TSB at the very least, he mentioned that there was a notice sent (though I didn't get one) but it only extended the warranty to 5 years.

After getting a $500 estimate I looked it up on the internet with LOTS of details about similar issues. I called and reported the safety defect to NHSTA. I also called Toyota corporate at the number listed before my post. They opened a case and offered to have a customer relations manager call me next week. The local dealer did mention that they fix many of these and the Sienna is the only car they have seen with this issue. We'll see what they offer, if anything. Their future with us is riding on it.
  • otusotus Posts: 1
    I've got the same problem with a 2005 Sienna. We have the extended warranty, but last winter when we tried to address this problem, the dealer's body shop said it wouldn't do the weld, even though it was authorized to do the work by Toyoya's inspector -- the body shop said it needed to replace the entire door (!!!) which Toyota wouldn't cover. Toyota said, take it to another dealer. Another dealer's [I think this service guy asked if I had had an accident] body shop said the same thing.

Why they can't just do the weld to make the repair isn't clear.

But we're stuck between Toyota who say this small weld will fix the problem and the dealer's contractor, who says it won't. We're going to complain as per this board and try to make something happen.
  • Heard now twice from dealer. Toyota corp says they will not offer ANY money toward repair. Dealer at first said they would have helped if I had done all my maintenance with them. Now offered to knock $100 off $500 the repair. This is our 7th toyota but will most likely be our last. Our hondas have never had this kind or treatment from the manufacturer.
  • I have had the same issue with my '06. Toyota is mailing me an offer in writing (as I demanded, not easy to get) and will see what they offer me. Dealer said new door was needed @ $2200. Not a happy camper. If the offer is less than complete fix at no cost this will be my last Toyota. I have been a loyal Toyota customer for 30 years. I guess profits come before quality and customer service now.
  • Just wanted to add to the list of complaints about Toyota. I too had a problem with door clicking and went to dealership in San Diego. I was told the only solution was to have the door replaced for $2000. My vehicle was over 100,000 miles and older than 5 years. I took it to a small shop who tried to weld the door. It lasted only for one day. I returned it and they rewelded it again. It lasted a couple of months and now the clicking is back. I agree this certainly lowers the resale value of an otherwise pretty decent vehicle.
  • klinklin Posts: 54
    Horrendous experience with Toyota Consumer Affairs and my purchase dealer (Piercey Toyota San Jose CA) on this issue.

They refused to help citing a lawsuit settlement agreement that prohibits them to assist in anyway (after extended warranty).

Toyota Consumer Affairs is terribly bureaucratic. They don't return phone calls, no emails, don't get to work after 9:30am, always on vacations, etc..

This is my first time using them. I own 3 Toyotas as recently as a new Camry this September - I am totally appalled by their treatment to loyal customer. Probably no Toyota for my next car since they don't standby their quality and customers.

Has anyone heard about this lawsuit?
    Any suggestion on the next step?
    Should I just go to local body shop and fix it myself?

Thanks for your advice!
  • Did you ever get a response from Toyota?
    Thanks,
    Jamie