Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Lancer Starting/Stalling Problems

packheatpackheat Member Posts: 5
edited April 2014 in Mitsubishi
I purchased a 2009 Lancer ES three months ago and have been experiencing starter problems. It'll happen once every 9 or 10 starts (so at least once a week). I'll turn the key and no start. Then I'll wait a few seconds and try again and it will start. Has anyone else experienced this issue with either a 2008 or 2009 model? I'm going to let my dealer know when I go for my oil change in a few weeks but would like to get some feedback.

Comments

• rav4killarav4killa Member Posts: 13
    i, experienced this before (08 lancer es) but after my first service, it never happen again. about 2-3 mnths later, the car stalled @ cold start. what i, did though, i re-set the computer. (this is when the car didn't start at all) and the engine start @ high idle and slowly dropp the idle.(normal idle) strange as it is, i, think its something to do w/ the pzev sys. and today, after 1 1/2 yrs. owning a lancer, am, actually experiencing a new problem. this time its the service engine light keeps lit on. i, did the same thing by re-setting the computer, but the strange thing about this is theres something that triggers the light. and am' once again thinking its the pzev system.
  • akilez68akilez68 Member Posts: 5
    If you drive a Manual you to step the clutch all the way to the floor.

Even if a 1/2 inch difference will not start the car.

I drive a manual so I always step the clutch all the way to the floor.

I have 37,700 miles on my 2008 Lancer.

Service light should reset after 6000 miles or else it will keep on beeping
  • jamster3jamster3 Member Posts: 3
    The clutch went out on my 02 Lancer after I had it for about 2 years and 8 months, I had almost 64,000 miles at the time. The A/C stopped functioning after 4 years and 7 months 106,000 miles. then the A/C knob broke off soon after. That's when the vehicle stopped being fun to drive. You have to be prepared to put about $500 to $1500 in repairs at around this time. Hopefully it makes it to about 200,000 after that. I'd say it may be done around that time.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    but you could just get an A/C maintenance done, so the mechanic can re-frigerize your Lancer's air conditioner, and it might just keep going longer than that. 106,000 miles isn't all that bad for an A/C system to run with no maintenance, ever, don't you think?

And clutches break because of being "ridden" is one reason. What I mean by that is pushing in on your clutch(while not even realizing you're doing it) while driving along. It will smash and scrape various clutch parts together with friction and they'll eventually break.

The '03 Hyundai Tiburon seems to be notorious for this problem. Only Hyundai isn't stepping up and fixing the problem for people. You're almost better off these days to buy an automatic, they seem to hold up better.

Honda's are good for tranny's and clutches, I hear, though. :blush:

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• jamster3jamster3 Member Posts: 3
    The part to replace my A/C knob (believe it or not) is $300 bucks. Then you gotta pay the mitsu mechanic another $600 to install it. I hear it's actually quite difficult. Otherwise I would do it myself. That's not even counting the "re-frigerizing". Yeah, I understand that clutches wear down, especially if you're riding it, but in comparison: I had my 98 Mirage for over five years and the clutch never went out. I drive just the same now so... 63,000 miles is just simply too soon for the clutch to go out in my opinion.

I think you're right about buying an automatic though. These days, not much NEW technology is being put into improving the manual transmissions. They're almost devolving and are only $1000 dollars cheaper than the automatics.
This discussion has been closed.