Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Look Alikes?

2»

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 32,907
    Ha, I remember I thought that the first time I saw a pic of one of those. I can't see how a single Maybach was sold. how could one buy that over a RR/Bentley/or 3 S63s?
    Nice bumpers, or "park benches" as I call them on the MB. Curse those DOT regulations to hell.

Granada doesn't seem like it was a bad car though, especially for the times. I remember tons of those were still on the road when I was a kid. Back in the mid 90s I remember my dad looked at one for a hobby car...it was a 1976 'sports sedan' model, and it must have been some kind of special order, it was fully loaded - glass moonroof, black , period color matching wheels, and I remember it might have had some plood. It had a 302 (I think) and it was in decent condition, just needed a heavy-duty detail. Could have bought it for $500 or so, but he preferred pre-emissions cars, so it was a no-go.
    That's somewhat of a lookalike for an 83-87 Mazda 626, too.

Of course no lookalike comparison would be complete without a Lexus LS/S-class comparison. Actually Lexus changed enough little details to make it not an obvious copy, but the inspiration is obvious for the first and second gen cars.

And we could get into the Chinese cars, but that's pretty well known already.
  • Gahh.

I hate MayBachs.

Two days ago I saw like a '65 Silver Cloud III. (That's a Rolls, if you didn't know).
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,589
    I agree with you in the sense that after the 1960s, all the great styling came out of Europe and no longer in America. Even today we are struggling--although we do see an occasionally interesting car out of America.

I'm not talking about great styling so much, but rather the ability of a new model, when it comes out, to make its replacement look "old". I think cars pretty much stopped doing that in the 1980's. For instance, IMO at least, when the 1983 LTD came out (the small one), it made the 1981-82 Granada look old. It was still an angular car, but gained a sleeker front and rear-end, and a more open greenhouse that lost the formal C-pillars.

Then when the 1986 Taurus came out, it made the LTD and just about every other car in that class look ancient, almost immediately. But then styling just seemed to stop advancing. The '92 refresh of the Taurus cleaned it up a bit IMO, but at the same time toned it down and made it look less radical. And the '96 restyle just seemed way out there, but without really advancing anything, style-wise. And since then, it just sort of languished. And while the current Fusion and 500-er-I mean Taurus, are attractive cars IMO, they're just not pushing automotive style into the future, so to speak. The grilles sort of look like those big chromey aftermarket jobs you used to see on 70's and 80's Chevy pickups, and the cars just seem blocked-up, in general.

The computer assisted design probably has something to do with it. That, the need for decent aerodynamics, and government safety regulations and, well, there are only so many shapes that still lend themselves to being useful. People and cargo still have to fit in there, after all.
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,424
    "The computer assisted design probably has something to do with it. That, the need for decent aerodynamics, and government safety regulations "

Very true - I wonder if Acura's new 'buck teeth' look has something to do with the EU's passenger safety requirements, and I wonder if the ever-shrinking windows have something to do with crash or rollover requirements. One other thing that seems to be affecting lots of new designs is the 'me too' lemming response. Seems like everybody's using some modified version of the 'Bangle butt' on many of their cars... :sick:
    I think the advent of modern computer aided design has really stifled design innovation. Car designers as a whole seem to be pretty much lemmings nowadays. Part of it might be difficult safety rules to accommodate, but I believe there's a basic lack of creativity out there too. That aids the copycats. Note to car designers - it's been some time since many BMW owners chose their car for looks. Copy BMW handling, not styling.
    is something we've seen before it started getting applied to BMWs. The Hyundai XG300/350 was doing it before BMW, and there's even a hint of that rump in something like the 1995 Cirrus/Stratus sedans or the 1994 Accord.

And even 40+ years before that. That look with the decklid higher than the rear fender tops makes me think of what the typical car looked like back in the late 40's and early 50's, that timeframe where the fenders were pretty much integrated rather than bolt-on, but still weren't level with the top of the trunk.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,071
    Dang! That's sad! I guess we'll never see another Harley Earl, Bill Mitchell, or Virgil Exner again. Love 'em or hate 'em, at least they were original. All we got is a bunch of copycats who were industrial design students seeking the professor's approval. If the prof was all that, wouldn't he be designing cars instead of being a mediocrity who taught? I see a lot of copycats in every graphic design school as well.
    I don't think we will ever see the constant styling changes and innovation as was seen in the past. Re-tooling is expensive, and these days so many corporations would rather put the money towards executive compensation than products.

These are not times for free thinking, indeed.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,118
    I think that the need to do well in crash tests, which wasn't emphasized in the '50s, '60s, '70s, and '80s, is a strong head wind for frequent style changes. If a design scores well in crash tests, it would be risky to jeopardize a competitive advantage by changing creases and folds, largely for the sake of change.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,118
    Did I see that picture correctly? It looks to me as though the Dear Leader's hearse is a stretched Lincoln Town Car.
    Yeah, I think it's a '75-76 Lincoln Continental sedan.
2»