Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti G35 Just Took Off

poetrypoetry Posts: 3
edited May 2014 in Infiniti
I was backing out of a blind parking space and hit a car I didn't see. Naturally I braked. Before getting out to see the damage I shifted into drive to go forward in order to see the damage to my bumper and his car. By shifting into drive the car just took-off down an access lane at incredible speed and I ended up plowing into a steel fence that "caught" me and saved me from falling down a 20 foot or more drop straight down to either death or serious injury. The spectacle of the car hanging over this wall made the front page of our local newspaper. I was rescued. My question is has this occurred to other people while shifting from one position to another (my car is an automatic G35 2004). I am afraid to drive this car now. It is being repaired at great cost.
·

Comments

• scottm123scottm123 Posts: 1,501
    Wow... glad you're okay!

No, I have NEVER heard of this before.
    Are you 100% sure your foot wasn't on the accel pedal???
    ·
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,362
    "Wow... glad you're okay!"

Yeah, exactly. Where have you been for the last 3 months or so? Hope your G is still holding up its end.
    ·
  • There are no absolutes in life--anything is possible including a demonic spirit taking over my body and making me hit the accelerator instead of the brake. Or maybe an unconscious wish to kill myself--the unconscious overruling the conscious mind--that sort of thing (see recent issue of Discover Mag). I guess I'll never know. I have the car back but since I'm poetry and not a mechanic I can't really judge whether the motor is running as it should. I know the changed muffler sounds terrible so I'm taking the car back tomorrow. It was not repaired by an infinity dealer since I live so far away from one would that have made a difference?
    ·
  • I want to thank Njjuliano for alerting me to the posts under "sudden acceleration" I feel somewhat redeemed by the posts I read there. I also send the link to my insurance company. If I knew how to do it I would attach a picture of my car, half way over a wall, and a drop that surely would have killed me if my guardian angel hadn't stopped it so you all can see what I've been through psychologically.

When I'm told that I had my foot on the accelerator I cringe. Why would I have panicked when the contact I had with the other car was hardly noticeable? I'm going to pursue this further on the other forum and here if there are more responses.

Thanks again!
    ·
  • guysaabguysaab Posts: 4
    When people inadvertantly slammed the gas pedal instead of the brake. The brakes on any car are a direct, mechanical connection and produce exponentially more braking force than the engine can ever produce in acceleration.
    Just say oops and don't try to blame the car.
    ·
This discussion has been closed.
Infiniti G35 Just Took Off - Car Forums at Edmunds.com