Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Durango Starting and Stalling Problems

tec3btec3b Posts: 1
We've been experiencing some odd starting problems-- If anyone could help, or is experiencing the same problem I'd love to hear about it. For most of the summer every other time we start it, it makes a loud screeching noise. This is usually with just the first start of the day, then throughout the rest of the day it is usually fine. A couple of times when it was really bad I saw smoke coming out from under the hood. I left it sit a few hours and came back and it started like there was never a problem.

Our mechanic has not heard the noise it makes, thought it must be the starter and replaced it. Well, just picked it up and it is doing the same darn thing. Would have left it, but need it to tow this weekend. It is not the battery, it sounds like it wants to start, but just doesn't turn over. Again, this is usually every other morning or so. We may even go a week where it is fine, then it starts doing it every other day again. Most times it will start on the second or third try, but two times, it left me sit... Any suggestions would be appreciated, as I'm in $400. and still having problems. Thanks!

Comments

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Have your mechanic check the belts.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • starlastarla Posts: 2
    I have 1999 Dodge Durango and we have been having the same starting issue for about 2-2 1/2 yrs and it has gotten worse. When I try to start is clicks, like the starter has went out, but it will eventually start or it may start without doing it. I thought it might be the starter but I thought then it wouldn't start if it was. We didn't want to replace the starter if it could be another problem. It also isn't the battery. Does any one have any ideas or suggestions?
  • I have the exact same problem. Sometimes it clicks then after a few times then it starts as normal. Here's what has happened when it started. I notices several sensor lights would stay on if I just started it up. If I just turn the key and let it go through the cycle and then start the car the lights would be off. Then the starting problem happens. Not a clue what it is. Trying to find out now. Seems like a computer problem.
  • I have a 2005 durango5.7.I noticed the other day one of the keys were not working properly.It would unlock/lock but when you would start vehicle it would run for 3 sec than shut off. My other key works fine. I was wondering if anybody had an idea on how to reprogram the key in question without taking it to the dealer?

thx
  • I had the same issue. Drove me crazy. In the end all I had to do was replace the battery cables and terminals. About a $10 fix. Haven't had a problem since, and has been over six months.
  • It likely is not your starter. I had the same issue. Start by replacing your battery cables and terminals. That should do the trick. The clicking occurs when the battery does not have a good enough connection.
  • :confuse: I have a 1999 dodge durango and I was having that problem that it would drive good for a couple of days starting up and than after a couple of days I had to get a jump for it to start up.my mechanic told me it was the starter so I ended up replacing that and now it still doing the same thing it acts like it not going to turn over but it does and then I have to reset the time and everything as if the battery was taken out and replace so when you get a answer please let me know
  • well try this the tensioner pulley sometimes it gets a bit loose and when you start the engine it pulls the band so hard but once the pulley gets warm it sets back to its normal tension so try changing that and new belt
  • manda6manda6 Posts: 1
    My Durango won't start it just clicks Im 3 starters in and nothing it just clicks I've replaced the battery and terminals and it's still just clicking anybody have any suggestions?
  • Hi, ok my sister has a 1999 durango and the battery keeps draining on it. Also when i do jump it or get it started, if i dont keep giving it gas it wont stay on. Going from P to R then againd R - D, now when im out driving it after i let it warmup i can sit at a red light and it doesnt stall out... the battery doesnt seem to be draining while the engine is running, ive test the battery its good. Could somebody please help me help her so i may be done with this.. thank you very much
  • I have a 2001 Durango. When the car sits overnight or after it has been sitting for a couple hours it takes 5-8 seconds of cranking before it starts. I do not have this problem if it has been running, ie if i drive it, turn it off and turn it back on, no problem. Dealer told me to replace fuel pump module. This did not fix the problem. any other suggestions?
  • I have a 2004 with the exact same problem. They had to run an update to the anti theft devise. Fixed the problem.

I hope this helps.

amy
  • So, did yours after hours of sitting there just not crank. I have the same issue and my mechanic tells me it is the computer...ok... we get another one STILL not working then he says it is something to do with the anti theft? The dude is clueless! How did they do an update to the anti theft and how much was it?
  • How do we tow our vehicle in? 99 dodge durango. Front or rear or does it matter?
  • I bought this 2002 Durango 5.9 Magnum engine - 4 months ago with 81,000 miles on it, I put just over 4,000 since. It was running great, one day though, and this is my own fault, I ran out of gas.

Since then this truck stalls without any warning while driving. It;s happened more then I can count! I replaced the fuel cap, I heard it could be a sensor, fuel pump, filter - I noticed that the gages aren't quite accurate either.

I had all of the fuses checked, even replaced relays, the battery is new and its not the starter, the truck DOES want to start, its as if no fuel is getting to it. I am aware that the fuel pump is built into the gas tank, I also am aware that when I ran it out of gas, its possible that the pump probably got clogged due to drawing off from the bottom of the tank.

Yesterday, it ran great - no problems at all in any way. Today, I made it 1/4 down my road and it shut off on me. Never re-fired. In the past I disconnected the battery to clear the codes (it only has one code it does list - P0455 evap.) but when I connected the battery back, it fired right up. Yesterday though, one of the reasons it ran well, was because I was in stop and go traffic, at crawling speed and I took the OD off -I then noticed it idled higher at stops and no hesitations either (sometimes when I am stopped it feels or sounds like it is hesitating or may stall)

I never took it out of OD before, just briefly yesterday - but today I've had it! It would not refire for nothing AND there was no antifreeze in it! No visible leaks but I had a gallon in the truck and added it immediately when it first shut down on me.

This is unsafe, it scares me. I know it needs to get to a reliable Dodge dealer (not the place I bought it from ugghh!) but for now it's here at my home. Like I said, ever since I ran it out of gas and put crap gas in just to get to a close gas station this stalling problem started and it will not restart for several minutes, sometimes an hour - today it never did re-fire. The engine light comes on at times then goes off, but once I had it filled with Premium which I usually put in there and the low fuel indicator/warning light came on!

I can't keep having this happen when I leave my home, I just lost my younger brother, its been a terrible time in my family and I need this issue corrected. Please, does anyone have any ideas? Could it be the fuel pump or filter? and yes, oil changes have been up to par (routine maintenance) - but this is frightening. Please help!
  • The shutting off and not starting for several minutes is possibly your computer (sorry) Basically the pcm shuts down and cools off then will restart. Many people wiggle the wire at the PCM and found ti will re-start. Dodge put a bad computer in these model durangos and will not recall it despite thousands and thousands with the same issue.

You can possibly find one online much cheaper though that has been flashed for you.

The coolant leaking out not sure about. It could be a leak in a hose, radiator etc...
  • I have a 1998 durango the battery went dead ,we charged battery now all it does is spin over it want fire up. the gas gauge and radio isnt working
  • Thank you for your reply..........I have called a few Dodge Dealerships in the area (for the record, the dealership that I bought this from wasn't a Dodge dealership and......let's just say that I doubt that the techs there could put a "Mr. Potato Head" together, let alone fixing a vehicle)

Needless to say, the service guys I did speak with about this from Dodge seemed baffled, one DID suggest it could be the PCM also,.......obviously unless they put it on the computer to properly diagnose, they simply aren't sure either........

BUT - see what you think about this,... LOL - I have to laugh here cuz the year I've had, which was not good - I also lost my only brother unexectedly too, so its just been a difficult time for me in pretty much all aspects ................ about my Durango, over the holiday I had a surprise visit from a neighbor of mine, who is in the military, he's very, very high in rank, and has to ship out once again to the Middle East in a couple of weeks, I haven't seen him in a year when he was here last, and it was wonderful to see him again especially beings he's being deployed.....but he's always been great with cars/trucks etc -

He also has a Durango 2002 but never had the probs I am. He asked me "Does the truck have gas? It sounds like its not getting any fuel." ( I did attempt to start it for him) - the battery is brand new, the truck does want to "fire up" - I started with the little things, and before I spend an arm and a leg at a dealership and possible towing fees in order to take it to a dealer) I am trying everything......

Had a plumber at my home last month, my water heater was leaking severly and I thought based on the age of the water heater I currently have that I'd need a new one - BUT come to find out, it was a $3.00 screw that needed to be replaced - and it never has leaked since, - thankfully this guy was honest, any other plumber would've probably have me install a new one and all in all, it didn't need to be replaced............. So hopefully my truck issue is a minor one........

Ok - here it goes,................ I am new to Dodge, I've owned Fords all my life, I have a Mustang GT - their gas tanks are small compared to the SUV's, and I've had my GT on the red-line, sometimes beyond and not once did I run it out - sometimes I threw just $2.00 in it and gauge moved up way above the red-line -

The last time I ran my truck, I had between a quarter and a half-tank in it - it stalled out on the part of my street that is a bit of a an up-hill area, - I had a friend push it home and its been here since, I replaced the batteries in the remote, the computer programmed and the fuel light came on...... I put 3 gallons of gas in since this thing quit on me, BUT from what I've been being told lately is that it may need more gas in order to start. For my Mustang GT 3gallons easily would start that car - but could THIS be the case??? The ONLY other times it stalled on me was when it was near or a bit below the 1/4 tank mark in the gauge, but the gas light didn't come on, however once I threw a ton of gas in it, it fired right up.

IF NOT,............where is the wiring for the PCM? Just curious........tomorrow I am trying to add much more gas in it, and if it still doesn't fire then Monday it will get towed to the dealer -

If you have any further advice or ideas, please let me know - thank you!
  • Was wiring in a used master switch for the power windows/locks. Heard a click/spark. Tried to turn the vehicle on and it would only run for a few seconds and die. Now it will not even turn over. Checked the fuses and relays. There is still pressure in the fuel line so I do not think it is the fuel pump. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • mikezrmikezr Posts: 5
    If it shuts off again look at your mileage and see if 'no bus' comes in that window. If so it is your PCM unfortunately That is how I found out why mine shut off so much. Many disconnect the battery for about five minutes and it starts back up but that doesn't work for all. It has to cool down before it starts again.

Another thing it could be is the coil. Try having that checked out too.

Good luck,.