Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Durango Starting and Stalling Problems

2»

Comments

• 2012 dodge durango when try to start act like starter bad took to dealer needs tipim cause its not activating the fuel pump parts are on international backorder and not under recall (strange) if this part is out of stock for at least 30 days that means there is a problem with it !! no one can get the part and no satisfaction from customer service !! for a 2012 dodge durango!!!
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    What's a "tipim"?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,436
    edited September 2013
    Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM).

Sounds like it's a fancy electrical switchbox using integrated circuits.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• HI i have been waiting over 30 days for my TIPM replacement part to come in. Dodge had me pay 1900.00 to replace the gas pumps and battery, i wonder if the gas pumps were ever the real issue here? Last year the water pump went out as well, it too was on backorder. Is this normal for dodge?
  • I have a 1998 dodge Durango I drove it to grocery store with no problem finished doing my shopping came out and got in my durango I tried to start it and it won't start. Bought a new starter relay cause as I was trying to start my vehicle a guy came to help me, my lights turns on my horn works my stereo works but my lock from inside the vehicle won't lock manually, checked all fuses it's all good, oh I tried jumping it but it still won't start so please what can you tell me is the problem with my vehicle. And two weeks ago I had just changed the water pump now it's this problem. Help
  • I forgot to mention I bought a new Starter.
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    edited October 2013
    So when you turn the key to start what happens? Does the engine crank over but won't start? Or does it not crank at all?
  • yelleyelle Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 I been having exact same problem went to dealership and was told to try some fuel injection cleaner first doesn't work still having same problem. Yesterday it wouldn't start at all everything totally dead I'm taking it to shop today. I didn't expect to have problems already I only have a little over 40,000 miles on it
  • boydfboydf Posts: 2
    I have 2002 dodge durango. I can go out and cold start it at anytime works perfectly, but if I drive it to the store it may not start when I come back out. It cranks over fine just never acts like it is getting fuel or a spark to start. If I let it sit for 20 to 30min it will start right up. the check engine will come on but will go out on the drive home.
  • I also have a 2011 and it's doing the same thing, when I turn the ignition it stays on like if it's stuck then I turn it not all the way where I can move my gears and then it starts and turns off and it starts and stays on. When I stop driving and cools down, it does it all over. They said can be several things, but a car that only has 40,000 miles should not be having these problems this soon. They mention it could be electrical, starter, fuel pump, pmi? But have to pay $110 so they can tell me and probably several more hundreds to fix.
  • Hello my Durango has recently started doing the same thing. It's a 2002 also. It starts up cold fine and will drive fine but when turned off it gives me a hard time restarting. It turns over and seems like it's tryin it's hardest to start but won't, at least for a while. Have you found any solutions to this yet??

-thanks
  • I also have a 2011 Durango with the same issue. The starter has stuck twice with me. These cars have way to much electronics on them now. I'm having my dealership check on the availability of the TICPM.
  • I am also having this problem. I have a 2011 Durango Crew with just over 46k miles. A couple of weeks ago my remote starter stopped working but I didn't think anything of it. The issue is, after I unsuccessfully tried using the remote starter when I went to start the car with the push function it really struggled to turn over. It does this on and off, mostly first thing in the morning or if my car has been sitting for a while.

I went to the dealing yesterday. I was told it would be $139.99 to look at what's wrong with the starter AND another $139.99 to see why it's struggling to start. I thought this was absurd. I told him that I didn't think the remote starter was the issue because I'd been online and saw other people having this problem so I only wanted to find out why the car is stalling.

I'm trying to wait it out to see if there will be a recall because I can't really afford the repairs but I feel like the service center is trying to get every red cent that I have. Very frustrating to be dealing with these kinds of issues on a newer model SUV and at the milage I'm at.
  • I had the same problem. Read that if you pull the negative wire from the battery it will reset the system. Followed the advice and it worked. There was some possible root causes to this:
    1. A faulty cam position sensor
    2. A problem in the anti-theft system
    The durrango is running ok right now but am sure this is only a band-aid because something happened to cause the control system to fail in the first place.
2»