Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Genesis Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• I just purchased a used 2013 Genesis 5.0 R-Spec. Car had 6,300 miles on it. I found it at Kernersville Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram in Kernersville, NC (85 miles north of Charlotte). It was the second cheapest used 2013 within 1,000 miles. I paid $37,700 for it. It is certified. I traded in a 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD with Advance Package. I LOVE the car so far. The dealership was absolutely packed (Saturday) but they were willing to help. Not much negotiating since they were already cheaper than anyone else around, but I knew that going in and you have to be reasonable. Gave me a good price for my trade, no haggling there either. I walked in the dealership around 3:45 and didn't leave until almost 8 PM. Had to wait roughly 2 hours for them to get to my financing paperwork because there were so many people in there. I didn't mind as my wife and I had a great conversation with our sales person and the used car manager while we waited. I'm getting the trunk and wheel wing emblems installed today!
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 1,993
    edited August 2013
    Good job on your deal. please post back after a couple of weeks. I want your read on that cars ride , handling , wind noise at high speeds and gas mileage.
    I really am considering buying the 2015 genesis when its avail next summer. i chose the accord V-6 over the 13 genesis. the new Accord i felt was a better buy then the aging genesis. What i dont like about the Accord is its to small inside for me and the recline on the seat gets lower instead of just straight back. Everything else with the new accord is a home run. My youngest daughter who graduates college after 6 long years in jan. w/ her masters degree will be surprised about her new Accord and graduating present.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

• Hi. I am considering 2013 Genesis 3.8 base model. I think price will be cheaper because new, fully changed model will be on market next year. Anyway, my target price is 26k (impossible?)

One question. I searched fair purchase price for this car is 28 - 29k, depending on incentives. However, I click the reality check button, fair price is changing to 25-27k. Is this normal? Then what is real fair price?
  • scwells72scwells72 Posts: 4
    edited September 2013
    Two weeks ago I bought a brand new 5.0 R-Spec (White/Cashmere) for $39.7K (less trade-in value) + TT&L with 1.9% financing for 60 months. I bought the car from Roger Beasley Hyundai in Kyle, TX (just south of Austin). The Round Rock dealer offered the same price, but I live in south Austin so I went with the closer dealership.

There was a potentially lower price in Houston ($37.7K), but the dealership seemed really shady and I didn't want to spend an entire day driving over there and back just to find out the deal wasn't legitimate.

That seems like a great price on a heck of a lot of car! My wife and I took the car on a weekend road trip and it was extremely comfortable and fun to drive.
  • Michaell@EdmundsMichaell@Edmunds ColoradoPosts: 1,056
    The $39.7K was before or after your trade in value was applied? What was the MSRP?

michaell@edmunds.com

Moderator, Prices Paid and Leasing Experiences

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT / 2010 Mazda CX-7 GT / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• bigdaveinomahabigdaveinomaha Posts: 26
    edited October 2013
    Here are my thoughts after a few weeks of ownership. Frankly, I'm pissed I ever bought the car I had before this car (2012 Acura TL-SHAWD w/ Adv pkg). This is such a better car and I actually paid $1,000 LESS for the Genesis than the TL. The ride is so much smother at all speeds, handling is tighter, and my god the low end torque is addictive! I punched it going 40 and the downshift to 2nd gear felt like someone punched me in the back! The transmission is much smoother shifting than my Acura was. Car is quieter than the Acura at all speeds (only had it up to about 85, I know, shameful!). Much better navi system and lots of options that I couldn't even get on the Acura like rain sensing wipers, adaptive lighting, lane departure warning, radar cruise, power folding side mirrors and power rear sunshade. I feel like I got 50% more car for less money. Gripes? I wish the steering wheel was a little thicker and I wish there was a little more head room, but I'm 6'5" so that's to be expected. Also the backup camera is pretty crappy compared to the HD camera in my TL. Overall I am thrilled with the car. And the best part? Watching the look on peoples faces when I tell them it's a Hyundai:)
    Alot of car for the money. I want to wait til next yr to see the updated re-modeled version as a 2015 before buying. At 6'1 and ahalf i know the feeling in some of these cars.. Enjoy..... tks for posting back

• scwells72scwells72 Posts: 4
    edited October 2013
    $39.7K was my price independent of trade-in value. I got a 2013 R-Spec with mud guards (which I had them remove) and cargo tray, so MSRP is $47,890.

I traded in a 2010 G37S 6MT with low mileage (~25K) and significant equity. They gave me a decent trade-in offer for the car (about $1K less than I'd have wanted, but close enough given the great price on the new car), so with the 1.9% financing on the difference, I have a crazy low payment on a pretty tremendous amount of car!

I'd love to say that I'm a super negotiator, but their initial quote via email was just over $40K, and with one additional email exchange we landed on $39.9K. Round Rock beat that by $200 to try to get my business, but then Beasley met Round Rock and was 20 miles closer to my house. That's how I got to $39.7K + TT&L. Pretty easy!

Hope this helps,
    Scott
    Thanks for the details, Scott.

So, in reality, it was $39.7 - equity from trade in + TT&L.

Or did you simply take a check from the dealer for the equity in your G37?

Either way, seems like you got a great deal on a car you love.

Happy motoring!

michaell@edmunds.com

• Michael, it was $39.7K - trade-in-equity + TT&L. I used the equity (trade-in value - payoff) to lower the tax basis of the Genesis. I might have gotten more in a private party sale, but the tax savings probably canceled that out for the most part, and it certainly simplified the transaction considerably.
    Perfect!

Sorry to ask for all of the clarification, but I wanted to make sure everyone who reads this forum knows what price to shoot for if they are in the market for a similar car.

And yes, the tax savings (in those states where it is offered) often outweighs any potential monetary gain from a private sale.

michaell@edmunds.com

• I found a dealership that still has 2012's (new) for sale. I offered $33k flat, which after hardly any effort they accepted. (I should've offered less.) The only further fees are tax, title, registration. They are also wanting a $200 doc fee, which is ridiculous, but I'll pay it if 33k sounds like a good deal for the 4.6. If not, I'll keep looking to scoop an older (new) model.

Thanks!
  • Anyone at all? Opinions?
    edited October 2013
    If your new 2012 model is Stolen or Totaled in a Accident what is the book value on a 2 year old genesis. That is the real question.. Once you find out that price you will know if 33k is a good offer. I personally think for 30,000 would be a real good deal if you could get it. 33k is much to high on this vehicle.

Dealer retail for a 2012 certified is 30,995

Trade in ....................................26,692

private party...............................29,082

I pulled these prices of the Edmunds site.

• Thanks, Brian. Not at all the answer I was hoping for, but I do appreciate the honesty. I had thought I scored a good deal. As I have not bought it yet, I'm off the hook; however, disappointing nonetheless.
    edited October 2013
    At some point dealer will clear that car off his lot. Check prices from nada and galves.. Alot of dealer use it for pricing. Make a low ball offer for the 2012 to see how much dealer will really take for this vehicle. There is no benefit at 33k for a 2012 when you could get a 2013 for 40k with incentives and rebates.

• Brian, I'm feeling a little dumb because I'm not sure I see your point. When you say "there is no benefit at 33K for a 2012 when you could get a 2013 for 40K," I think to myself: There's a huge benefit -- 7 thousand smackers in my pocket! :-)

Maybe it would help if I explained my purchase frame of mind better. I'm not very interested in resale value, because I plan on hanging onto it until it's barely worth anything. Also, I'd be buying with cash, so $7K is quite a difference out of my bank account; whereas if I financed, it wouldn't be a huge jump in the monthly payment.

I hope I don't sound snarky. I appreciate that you're offering advice. I'm just flinching hard from the price difference! :-D

One other thing: When you say I could get a 2013 for 40K, are you referring to the R-Spec or a loaded 3.8? Even if you do mean the R-Spec, I don't think I could talk myself into pulling another $7K out of savings for it. It's probably going to look pretty dated in a few months if the new model is released, and then I'd feel even lousier for having spent more money to obtain it.
    You made some good points about keeping car. The new redesign wont be out til late 2014 offered as a 2015 model.

A loaded 3.8 for sure under 40 k the r-spec about 3k or more.

If money is the issue then take your time and wait for your best possible deal. if there is no time factor by waiting til 2014, jan you will see better pricing on the 2012 models..

• Yeah, if there are any 2012 4.6L's on the lots by Jan 2014, I can only imagine the fire sale at that time. I'd probably offer $27K for kicks and see what happens.

On the bright side, I can stop shopping for a winter tire and wheel package for the 4.6L Genny, as it seems pretty sure I won't be buying right now.

Thanks again for your perspectives, Brian. They helped to cool me down and avoid paying too much.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    Just in case anyone is interested, here is some info and a few spy pics of the 2015 Genesis

http://wot.motortrend.com/2015-hyundai-genesis-tech-auto-braking-a-better-trunk-- opener-420343.html