Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn Vue Transmission Problems

Comments

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,153
    Sounds like you may benefit from removing your current anti-virus program and trying a different one. I've had good luck with free editions of AVG and Avast, and am now using Microsoft Security essentials. Downloads.com has a long list of them.

Bad enough having to rent a vehicle without having to rent a computer too. :sick:

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• 442dude442dude Posts: 373
    Go to saturn.com...there you will find a link to "Authorized saturn Service Providers" Follow the link and its as easy as entering your zip code...It will likely be a local Chevrolet dealership.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,064
    mbeach01,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing. Could you please email us your VIN? We would like to look further into your situation. Also, could you include your zip code so I may search for the nearest dealership?

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • I just recently bought a 2004 Saturn vue. I've noticed that when I accelerate slow, around 25 miles an hour there is a jerky feeling but if I accelerate quick it doesn't do that. Could it be the transmission? I've been told it could be the rear motor mount but its been checked and there is nothing wrong with the mounts. I don't want to put alot of money in it for trail and error. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • Please define shutter, is it like surging or sort of jerky shifting (ie: much like someone learning to drive a manual)?
  • TY, I'll try this as I do have an antiquated OS, & on a dialup. A shame I can no longer just simply pick up a copy of XP discs off the shelf at a reasonable cost. Newer programs likely will not run on my OS.

Older & less intrusive software I find works better on this machine.
  • Tweety, what size engine?

I grit my teeth accelerating after making a turn to find what state the TC may be in, if it's going to surge, or jerk the vehicle. Saturn considered this normal.
  • No. More like lugging. Like it upshifted too soon and the engine was not running fast enough for the gear selected.
  • It's like somebody trying to learn to drive a manual.
  • It has a 3.5L, V6
  • bismarck318bismarck318 Posts: 49
    edited September 2011
    That 3.5 is the Honda Powertrain, even if it's not Transmission related DO make sure your fluid is changed with Honda Z1 approved fluid. (read prior posts on this in this thread). This transmission is very fickle to the condition of the fluid! A DIY displacement of 4.5 Qts of fluid should run about $20.

Mine has rough/unpredictable low end shifting ..also has jerky initial grab when first accelerating at times (ie: I want to be very careful if I need to inch up in traffic or a parking space as I don't want to hit anyone/anything), this usually points to the torque converter going, though the Saturn claimed this is normal.

As this emulates someone learning on a manual, I have learned to drive with a very light foot in the lower gears, this vehicle is suppose to learn your driving habits & adapt to you, though I've had to adapt to it.

I hear you on this trial & error thing, if I could find an honest Transmission shop I'd take it in though the repairs on this would likely exceed the market value of the vehicle.
  • Mine has that on occasion especially on an upgrade, though not often enough to concern me with the other things going on. It seems to hold a lower gear at times on a downgrade even when accelerating.

I'm also getting surging at times, this is becoming very random now.
  • Thank you so much for this information. I will let my friend know what you have told me. Hope you have a wonderful day.
    Mary
  • YW & good luck, I don't think Saturn included the '04 on the reprogramming recall mention earlier in the thread... I found that strange as some of the '04's still exhibit the same issues as the latter Honda Powered Vues.

If you find the Fluid change helps, do let us know. It should be yearly maintenance.
  • Had my fluid changed and I'm sad to say I still have the same shudder problem. The fluid still needed to be changed but I am back to square one. Any other suggestions?
    edited October 2011
    I had noted oscillations or blips in the RPMS around 25-40 mph that totally disappeared with the first fluid change , though none of the other problems, judder & may had toned down a bit but did not go away.

I have since changed my fluid 4 times, & keep saving a sample in a clear 35mm canister after each change to note fluid conditions. Other than after the first change for me there was no significant improvement in shift performance. Dealerships have aknowledged the rough shifting problem, though always seem to dodge around my complaints & say it's 'normal'... never had a vehicle like this. Other mechanics have said it's the TC going out.... if the vehicles not throwing codes for the dealer, they assume there isn't a problem, only one tech said there was & he no longer works for the dealership.

What condition was the fluid, & the condition now? Ideally it should be bright red, though since you can not totally purge the fluid it is likely a darker red (& hopefully translucent)... but should not be purple or brown.... if so may need another change.

I posted a link a few pages back for the Saturnalia forum boards, usually there are some ideas there, as many '04 owners also complain of this judder, I'm not sure why GM did not include them on this recall.

I don't have a HS connection here, but here is a main link to look at the Vue Forums... they might be a bit more precise to a specific problem, helpful group over there!

Saturnalia

Probably try the 'Vue Tech' section.
  • codytazcodytaz Posts: 4
    edited October 2011
    I have a 2005 Saturn Vue with many issues, I bought this car almost 2 years ago with 58,000 miles on it, last January I noticed some noises around the passenger side wheels, we had it checked out and now hopefully its fixed, but about 4 months ago I was having hesitation while driving and my father toke it to a transmission place and they said it was fine, well it kept getting worse and I would have trouble taking off, stopping and more hesitation until finally this last weekend, I can reverse but can't drive. Its going to cost around $5,000 dollars to replace it, this is not right, there is only 86,000 miles on it. Can someone please help me with some answers? Is it even worth it?
    codytaz,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please email me with your complete contact information, VIN, and involved dealer? I look forward to your email.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • My transmission was replaced back in 2007 ...covered by the recall. now my car is shuddering when i go very slow or when i am stopped on an incline and then accelerate. i have to drive 90 miles to the nearest dealer and now my car has been there 3 days...they say they cant reproduce the issue.....has anyone had this and if so - how did they fix it...the mechanics at the GM dearlership just want me to come get it and drive it "until something major breaks" so that then they will know what to fix!
    susie20,
    I apologize for your frustrations. I would ask them about installing a recorder in your vehicle. Did you try going for a ride with the technician to point out what it is you are talking about? Can you please send me your complete contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • I'm so surprised that they did not offer you anything. They have offerred anywhere from 50% of cost of repairs or $5000 toward purchase of new vehicle to complete repair. What were their reasons for denying your claim? What no. did you call- call 1.866.553-6000.
    edited October 2011
    My transmission was replaced back in 2007 ...covered by the recall. now my car is shuddering when i go very slow or when i am stopped on an incline and then accelerate. i have to drive 90 miles to the nearest dealer and now my car has been there 3 days...they say they cant reproduce the issue.....has anyone had this and if so - how did they fix it...the mechanics at the GM dealership just want me to come get it and drive it "until something major breaks" so that then they will know what to fix!

I feel for you, my dealer had the car for nearly 2 weeks & could not replicate the problem in the 50 miles they drove it, they consider the jerky shifting normal... until the vehicle 'throws a code' they claim they can't do anything, yet the judder has been documented by a tech no longer with the dealership.... should have made them keep the car right then & there & fix it my bad.

Doughnuts to dollars too whatever breaks will no longer be a warrantied part. :mad:
  • pavueownerpavueowner Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    I have a 2003 Vue with just under 58,000 miles (I am the original owner). The transmission was already replaced once during the recall, and it just failed AGAIN. I have not been quoted a price for repair, but reading all that I have here, it doesn't sound like it will be good news. I understand that some dealers have offered anywhere from a 50/50 split to being totally covered? In addition, the repair could be covered by up to a 36,000 mile/3 year warranty. Is this true? Is it possible to just replace the side belt and reset the computer on this transmission? I refuse to accept even a 50/50 split on a fix, regardless of the fact that this car is 8 years old. THREE transmissions in under 58,000 miles? UNACCEPTABLE. I understand there is also a class action lawsuit that has been filed. Where can I get more information on discussing my options with my dealer?
  • The gm dealership is telling me now that they have been told by GM that they can't work on Saturn transmissions anymore, only choice for me is to put in a new transmission or just drive it til it dies. Unbelievable!
  • The problem is that they aren't really giving you a "new" transmission, even if that's what they tell you. They don't manufacture this kind anymore. They are really just re-making one and passing it off as "new". I have found them being sold online between $250-$950. Then they are turning around and charging $5k+ for them?!?! Unbelievable. I'd love to see some GM response to this.
  • I have called GM...Guess we will see what happens.....
    pavueowner,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Have you spoke with GM Customer Assistance? Will you email me your VIN? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Well I finally heard back from the dealership and its going to be $4,200.00 for a new transmission and taking the 50/50 split from Saturn will be $2,100.00. I had to refiniance my car and still don't have enough money! Saturn won't even go any further to help you either! So now they have to put in a rebuild VTI transmission, piece of crap! I'm going to sell this "thing" as soon I get it back! So pissed I can't see straight! They should cover the whole thing instead of a 50/50 split!
    bismarck318,

Are you currently experiencing any problems with your vehicle? Please keep us posted.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • All,
    My wife had this same issue with her 2006 Saturn Vue. After resaerching on this site and a few others I took it to the dealer as an educated consumer. They reset the computer module and the dragging issue went away. She has never had the battery changed in 5 years so thats due for a change. The battery is swollen on both sides and its now starting to give issues when starting. So we plan to change the battery out thgis weekend and take it in at 90k miles for the recommended service. She has about 1000 miles til then.