Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 Chrysler 300 transmission problems

My car has 48000 miles on it, has been in the shop 4 times in the past 6000 miles. When I hit 35-40 a feel a rumble - service tech tells me it is going into overdrive and that is normal-. If it is "normal" why did I not feel it until 6000 miles ago. Anyone else have this issue?

Comments

• I found a service bulletin and when the Chrysler service Rep drove it, he said it was not normal ( the Service manager told me it was). They had to do a "Flash" update, something computerized, guess what my car is back to running like it did when I bought it- still waiting for that apology from the service manager
  • Mine does have a very slight "vibration" right at 1600 rpm which corresponds to the 35-36 mph or 60 km/h speed. Has been there since day one. I just assumed it was normal. It does not seem to have any negative effects though.
  • No this is not normal, there was a service bulletin put out for it, the dealer needs to do a computer update. My car has been running "normal" since they did that on Friday
  • Hi from Spain. I dont know if by rumble you mean a slight vibration that shoots through the car and lasts for a a split second each time the gear box shifts into a higher gear. My local dealer told me its a gear box snag and that most cars have it. However I should live with it unless it gets bad enough for them to look at it. I am not comfortable with this issue either.
  • Thank you! I just saw your message. Interesting piece of news!The computer update could work for my car too.
    what does it exactly consist of????
  • IT IS A DEFECTIVE TORQUE CONVERTER. THEY FLASH THE COMPUTER TO DISABLE THE LOCKUP IN THE CONVERTER. THEY DO THIS TO AVOID A PROPER REPAIR. THE PROPER REPAIR IS TO REPLACE THE CONVERTER.
  • They did change the converter on my car, then said that what I was feeling was normal. I told the service manager it was not normal. He said he would have a Rep. from Chrysler come to tell him it was normal. I threatened to call the attorney's general. The service Rep went about 1/4 of mile and said that it was not normal. After doing the flash update my car has been running like new.
  • Thank you. My Chrysler car dealer already hinted that this problem was not uncommon. Mercedes must be aware of it too. What leverage doest it give us. If the warranty applies why is the mecanic reluctant to fix the problem? Which way should i go or push?
  • pipexpipex Posts: 14
    My car started to do that when it had only 60 miles on it. Your AC condensor drain tube us dripping on top the transmission and water is getting in the tranny via the bottom of the filler tube which is not water proof.

I had the Torque convertor changed and they flushed the tranny 8 times. Good until 50,000 miles and put in another new torque converter.

Told the mechanic that I had advised Chrysler and the dealer as to where the water was coming from. This mechanic extended the drain tube down to the side on the transmission and sent Chrysler a report on what I had requested.

Three years ago, Xhrysler had a clip and silicone etc. crap that would supposedly seal the tube.

Silicone and tranny oil mix about as well as oiul and water. It takes a very minute amount of water to make the torque convertor rumble and shake etc.

By the way, Tell the dealer that there is a TSB for the problem.

The TSB Number (Canada) is TSB 21 - 011 - 05
  • I experienced a jerking motion or vibration as soon as my car hit about 44000 miles and I brought it in to the dealership who told me it was a gas valve that was stuck open and fixed that for 400 bucks. As soon as I drove the car off the lot, I felt the jerking again. I turned around and went back and screamed that them about how could they tell me that they fixed it and charged me 400 bucks. They told me to bring the car back and they would look at it again, which I told them I was leaving it there that night and they can look at it in the morning, Well they had it for 3 days and never called me or said anything. I had to call them ( poor service dept) When I finally called them about the car they told me they had to do a computer update on the tranny, I said ok, will that fix the problem? They said yea, so I went back and got the car. After about 3 hours of driving, it started again. So I called the manager to tell them about it but he was always busy with customers. So I left him a message to call me and he never did. I really am disappointed with Chrysler, youd think in these times they would do everything possible to keep their customers, not push them away with horrible manners.
  • smithedsmithed Posts: 444
    That's a poor service, but don't blame Chrysler LLC, blame the service department of that dealer. Find another dealer. I have also found that screaming doesn't do any good and probably does harm.
  • I just took my 2005 300 in to have an oil change and get a transmission tune-up (60,000 miles) and had them check my transmission while it was in as I too was experiencing the vibration in my steering wheel at a specific speed on the freeway. I've had a good experience with the dealer so far. They explained that they were aware of the problem I described and got back to me on my voicemail message. The rep explained that if there is water in the tranny that the fluid will look like a "strwberry milkshake". Fortunately I did not have this exact problem. Instead mine was actually the EGR valve. The malfunction light was intermittently coming on. I'm lucky because it's under warranty. They are going to replace it tomorrow as I do not ahve time today. I will inquire further as to the state of the onboard computer and whether it needs to be flashed and the torque converter.
  • camcamcamcam Posts: 2
    I have a chry 300 touring 2005, I had shifting issues as well. Sometime it shifts like I'm driving a stick shift. The tire actually skid a little. The dealer did a flash update and indicated the transmission works fine. I'm still concerned. Over the years my dash light have come on so many times I can't count. The EGR valve has been replaced. Beautiful car- midnight blue with 20 inch rims attracts alot of attention. That's the only reason I still have it. 83,000 miles on it. Has anyone had similiar issues?
  • viv626viv626 Posts: 10
    I need direction on how to tackle the vibration problem. I have been experiencing this problem for about 6 months. Several Chrysler shops have seemed oblivious to the issue even after I printed TSB-011-05 and gave them a copy. My original warranty had expired so I purchased an extended warrantly from Chrysler. This extended warranty is now also expired and suddenly, they want to take my transmission apart. How do I tackle this problem? Please help!
  • viv626viv626 Posts: 10
    I need direction on how to tackle the vibration problem. I have been experiencing this problem for about 6 months. Several Chrysler shops have seemed oblivious to the issue even after I printed TSB-011-05 and gave them a copy. My original warranty had expired so I purchased an extended warrantly from Chrysler. This extended warranty is now also expired and suddenly, they want to take my transmission apart. How do I tackle this problem? Please help!
    Ask them to get an oil sample test performed. I guarantee that you have water in the Automatic Transmission Fluid.
  • The transmission fluid was checked last week and was loaded with water. It took 5 flushes to get the water out. Now my concern is, how did it get in there and will it come back. I have never been in a flood, the shop said that they see no leaks and the pressure levels are ok now. Also, isn't my transmission damaged if it had water for ~ 6 months?
    This is message #11 up above. Tell the dealer about the TSB and tell him to extend the AC Condensor Drain Ture as it drips on of the tranny and goes in via the bottom of the filler tube. Once it gets into the torque convertor, it will shake rattle and roll. The silicone fix they tried on mione at 60,000 K never worked, they put in another at about 90,000 and EXTENDED the drain hose and they advised Chrysler of the fix that I had suggested to them.

My car started to do that when it had only 60 miles on it. Your AC condensor drain tube us dripping on top the transmission and water is getting in the tranny via the bottom of the filler tube which is not water proof.

I had the Torque convertor changed and they flushed the tranny 8 times. Good until 50,000 miles and put in another new torque converter.

Told the mechanic that I had advised Chrysler and the dealer as to where the water was coming from. This mechanic extended the drain tube down to the side on the transmission and sent Chrysler a report on what I had requested.

Three years ago, Xhrysler had a clip and silicone etc. crap that would supposedly seal the tube.

Silicone and tranny oil mix about as well as oiul and water. It takes a very minute amount of water to make the torque convertor rumble and shake etc.

By the way, Tell the dealer that there is a TSB for the problem.

The TSB Number (Canada) is TSB 21 - 011 - 05
  • my 2005 300 has 105,000 on it and the rumbles came back. I experienced them earlier and the dealer fixed things up. I took the car in for it's last warranty checkup around 99,500 miles and all was well. Now the transmission is shot and the 300's use a Mercedes transmission that is better bought rebuilt and installed than having the exisiting transmission rebuilt. Any advice?????