Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tracker Transmission Problems

Comments

• radcoradco Posts: 2
    Hello
    . I have a 200 Chevy /Suzuki Tracker, 2.0, 4 cyl. Auto, 4 wheel drive. The transmission sometimes pops out of OD./Drive or appears to.. The tach goes way up like stepping in on a clutch...You back off and feather the gas pedal and all is good .. Hasn't done it lately but now the weather is in the 30s.. seemed to do it below 25 +or.-Seemed to have started the problem after the 4 studded snows were put on,,,. Trans fluid OK. a little dirty but not burnt.
    48000 miles on the Tracker.. Bought used w/420000...
    Low idle s around 6/700 rpm,IMO too low ,but that is normal from what Ive heard and can not be adjusted because of eletronic ignition...
    Check engine light is on and will be going to shop soon..Road around about a hr today no issues. BUT Cars do not fix themselfs lol
  • Hello All,

I would like to start by saying thank you for the wealth of information provided on this forum, I can tell you know what you're talking about. A lot of this is far too technical for me, so I 'm hoping you could help clarify some things and pump a little life into this thread.

RE: 1994 Geo Tracker LSI (not sure of engine type) automatic transmission, 91K mi, AUTO HUB

My problem is similar to many others out there: My tracker has problems shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear in cold weather. Once it warms up it's fine, but before then it feels like its popping out of gear and into neutral when shifting into 3rd. At that point I take my foot off the gas and let it back down to about 3k rpms where it will go into gear. If it doesn't go into 3rd I put it into "2" and let it warm up a little longer. Once it is ready and does go into 3rd I have no problems with it until the next time I run it cold.

Based on what I've read on this board I suspect it has low pump pressure, and a lot of sludge/grime caught up in the governor. The seals are obviously old and probably also have something to do with it. Also the MOD valve and vacuum modulator might need to be changed.

Before I take it in for the full inspection/tuneup/overhaul I want to make sure I tell them what to look for.

On another forum a guy said he poured in 1 ounce of clean brake fluid into the transmission and that after a day the problem was more or less fixed as that caused the seals in the tranny to become more pliable.

From what I can tell the car has been regularly maintained and serviced, with a tranny flush being performed 2 months ago (according to the guy who sold it to me).

Any help/suggestions you may have would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Ryan
  • Hi: Doug here from Maine. I've recently purchased an abandoned parking garaged not used in three years 1998 Chevy Tracker with a 1.6 automatic tranny. After a minor tune up it seemed fine on the road until just recently. Now after it warms up it wont shift into second gear. I had my local garage flush the tranny new gasket and filter and fluid. This did'nt help at all the next day I traveled a hundred miles then I had to pull over and have my auto club tow me home. The local garage says they can't help. Could this be a computor issue? No slivers of metal on the dipstick and no odd tranny noises. The fluid looks fine. I'm thinking of taking to the local Chevy dealership to do a code scan. What do you think. Many Thanks Doug
  • I have the same problem with my 1999 Tracker. I believe mine has the 1.6 engine.
    Noise gear box. What will interchange? Any information out there? :mad:
  • What was the solution to your problem. It sounds as though I am experiencing the same thing. Please help!
  • j6407j6407 Posts: 1
    my 2000tracker wont shift out of 4h to2h when rolling have tryed stoping ,backing up (works sometime) whats the problem
  • malibu25malibu25 Posts: 2
    DID YOU FIND OUT WAT WAS WRONG IN THIS CASE CAUSE I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 99 TRACKER
  • malibu25malibu25 Posts: 2
    I HAVE A 99 TRACKER AND IT WONT SHIFT INTO SECOND TILL ABOUT 4000RPM I REPLACED THE OUTPUT SPEED SENSOR CAUSE THAT IS WAT THE CHECK ENG LIGHT SAID THE PROBLEM WAS AND IT WAS NOT THAT ANY IDEAS
  • dsetsodsetso Posts: 1
    The identification number on the transmission in my 1990 Tracker is L247539. and it has two senders. I would like to replace it with a M241202 with 1 sender, will this swap be compatable?
  • appellofappellof Posts: 54
    I am going to be purchasing a mid 1990's Geo Tracker. I am interested in knowing what are the pit falls of owning one. I bought an Alero a couple of years ago and I did not check the forums first. After looking at the amount of posts under the Oldsmobile Alero Oh My.... I have been lucky so far outside of minor issues like the fuel regulator, Ignition module, starter, Fuel filter etc. Would someone be willing to comment on the Geo Tracker?

Thanks,

Daniel
  • alicia9alicia9 Posts: 4
    Hi Daniel, I own a green 1994 Geo Tracker 2-wheel drive automatic with white soft-top. I'm no mechanic, but here's my analysis.

–'s
    1) had to replace transmission at around 135K miles and it's still a little finicky
    2) interior is kinda cheap in terms of fixtures and upholstry – this is not a luxury vehicle. But, it's comfy to sit in for long road trips and just fine if you're a no-frills kinda person.
    3) Taking soft top on and off is kinda complicated, but if you have a buddy help you it's twice as fast. =)
    4) the car catches the wind on the highway and shimmies near semi's
    5) I've been told that a weak point in design is door hinges – don't let the wind catch them and keep them oiled with WD40
    6) You can't keep stuff in this car – it's so easy to break into.

+'s
    1) It's super cute and fun to drive
    2) great visibility
    3) sips gas
    4) really easy to find parking – amongst my friends I always drive if we're going to an event where parking will be hard to find. There's always some spot on the street that is too small for everyone but me.
    5) high clearance and off-road design make it great for camping trips, going through big puddles, gravel roads, etc. And mine's not even 4x4.
    6) Full-size spare on back of car has come in handy multiple times
    7) Back seat folds down and it turns into a tiny truck with the top off. I've moved chest of drawers, huge paintings, even a futon! It's a convertible that is actually useful and has a back seat – how many convertibles can you say that about?
    8) I've seen these cars tricked out and they look great with rugged tires and racks for off-roading.
    9) soft top options for removing pieces of it so you can enjoy the breeze without the trouble of removing the entire thing. You can take out the back window easily, and also the front part folds back on a hinge to create a huge sunroof.

Hope this is helpful! All in all, I do love my car. I've been told by a trusted mechanic that they don't ever fully die, though you can expect to fix little things here and there throughout their life.

Best Regards,

Alicia
    Alicia,

Thanks for the information. I am a mechanic so I can repair anything that may go wrong. I noticed that your list of negatives is shorter than the positives. I really appreciate the info. I am a no frills guy. I am just looking for a cute little SUV. When I get one, I will probably put all kinds of toys on it. KC lights, Street Glow undercarrage lights a little winch stuff like that. As long as it does not become stupid looking of course. I have a few of them I am looking at. I really like the soft top though. Thanks again for the information.

Daniel
    Alicia,

I just had to tell you, I got my 1995 Geo Tracker on Friday. You are right, the interior is cheap. However, it is very fun to drive and it is more comfy than my 2000 Alero. It is the Hard top version. It does not have A/C nor power windows, power mirrors, cruise control or electric door locks. It has a maunal transmission. I like that it has none of the modern amenities therefore I don't have to worry about power window switches going bad or the A/C failing ......etc.

Thanks again for you recent input.

Daniel
  • alicia9alicia9 Posts: 4
    Congrats! =) Enjoy your new Tracker! :)
  • We just bought a 1998 Geo Tracker 2WD Automatic transmission. When we are on the highway, and get to about 65 mph, it will not shift into overdrive. The rpms stay at 4,000. Also our engine light has been on ever since we bought it a couple of days ago. Any suggestions?
  • This will happen to me once in a while – sometimes for no reason but usually it's when the car isn't sufficiently warmed up yet, or I've just started driving on the freeway for the first time since I started the car for that driving trip. It's not ideal, but here's something that works for me: Get in the right lane for safety, take foot off gas, shift to neutral, then shift back to Drive, foot back on gas. Might have to try it twice. I can hear the gears shift into place after I do this. I have a 2wd automatic 1994.
  • did u ever find out what the problem is that it will not shift out of 4h? Mine will start torqueing to the right after about 5 miles when in 4H, but the only way I can get it to come out is stop, reverse quickly and then go forward, end of problem. I have a 2000, 2.0l, manual trans
  • when i shift into 4wd hi/or low the front wheels dont spin,the ds from transfer case to front diff spins.the air pump behind bumper is putting out 6lbs of pressure to air nipple on diff.butt no engagement.sound like the locker inside diff has crapped out?i serviced front diff and it was full of milky white fluid,i drained and flushed a few times and filled it back up with correct grade of gear oil and now it stays clean
    any ideas?
    mike
  • hi, just bought a 2000 tracker, and it is having the same problem shifting into 2nd gear! after 2nd it shifts fine. did you find out what was wrong? can anybody help with this problem?
  • radcoradco Posts: 2
    The problem with my transmission was the Speed Sensor.. Mine would take forever to shift into second,But while driving If I let off the gas alot of time it would then shift.. The first thing I did was have the transmission fluid changed but that didnt fix it,Im sure it was time to change it anyway.. Did you get any lights come on in the dash? Mine did and left the speed sensor code..so you may want someone to scan your car computer