Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Honda Insight 5-passenger Hatchback

Comments

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,680
    If it is a race to see who can build the ugliest cars, Toyota and Honda are neck and neck. C'mon you got more class than to give this joke a thumbs up. It did not even beat the bigger Civic on the EPA mileage test. You know what a stickler you are for the accuracy of the EPA tests. There are people getting consistent 50 MPG with the new Jetta TDI though it is rated for only 34 MPG by the EPA. But that is your bible. I guess until they rate a hybrid lower than you want.
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    This vehicle is to be the LOWEST COST HYBRID on the market. Not the most efficient, most luxurious, nor the most advanced, not the most high mileage.

They were smart enough to NOT create an almost unusable and impractical ( however super-efficient ) experiment like they did with the first Insight, which because of it's oddity sold low volumes to only the most eco-conscious.

They are going for a larger sales base and a more usable vehicle in the hopes of actually getting some market share.

I think it's a great idea. A hybrid that even lower-middle-class Joe Public can afford.

BRILLIANT !!!
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    The EPA is not MY bible. It's good for what it does, which is produce a lab-repeatable result.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    Is the Insight any better of a deal than a similarly-equipped Fit?

Insight LX at $18,500ish vs. Fit base automatic at around $16,500?

Insight EX at $20,000 ish vs. a Fit Sport automatic at around $18,000?
  • dweiserdweiser Posts: 288
    I don't have the answer but as a 2009 Fit Sport w/Navi owner and my name #1 on the Honda Insight EX list, I can offer one opinion. I really like my Fit and will probably keep it even if I get the 2010 Insight. You have to get Navi with the Fit Sport in order to get Vehicle Stability Control. However, the EX Insight comes with VSC so you don't have to spend the extra $$ to get the Navi if you do not want it. I would also think the Insight will get better mileage than the Fit. I'm getting 34 m.p.g. with my Fit Sport auto but I live in the mountains of western NC and never drive on a major (i.e. 4 lane) highway. In my humble opinion the Fit is a very cool car, the Insight will be even more so. Hope this helps. I was told tonight by a Honda dealer that the 2010 Insight EX w/o Navi will sell for between $22,200 and $22,400 with no dealer markup. The LX for around $20,400.
  • I was told tonight by a Honda dealer that the 2010 Insight EX w/o Navi will sell for between $22,200 and $22,400 with no dealer markup. The LX for around $20,400.

Those prices are about $2K HIGHER than what has been discussed elsewhere. The "No Dealer Mark-up" line is crap. A load EX w/Navi is supposed to be $23K. An LX should be $19K.

Make sure you shop around.
    I was given incorrect info on MSRP for the 2010 Insight. The person who shared the prices I posted couldn't possibly have them as Honda hasn't released them yet and may not (if the Insight release is like other Honda vehicles) until the vehicles actually arrive in dealerships late April or May. Sorry, thought I had a "scoop" for you all but it turned out to be "crap" as dodgeman07 so eloquently put it.
    ;)
    I think the dealer you spoke with is going to "front-load" all the cars with a bunch of accessories to bump up the price of the LX model to $20,000 and the EX to $22,000.

At those prices, Honda loses the price advantage it has over a Prius, IMO.

All reports I've seen say that Honda is going to price the LX model around $18,500 and the EX model right around $20,000, with the EX-NAVI at $22,000.
  • ...but I remember the days of Honda's "Adjusted Market Value" pricing when many dealers tacked $500 to $1,500 on top of the MSRP for no reason other than they could get it.

Thankfully those days are gone but I'm sure some dealers will have $20K prices on $18.5K Insight LX's because they added pinstripes and fabric protection.

The Insight has great potential for Honda to grab some market share in a very down 2009 market. If they keep the price where it's been rumored to be, they can do it.

I'll leave the eloquence to our Chief Justice at the swearing in ceremonies. :P

Faithfully Yours, (or is it "Yours Faithfully"?)
    dodgeman07
    I will agree that Honda dealers are notorious for "Adjusted Market Value"
    Although, on a side note, I did see a Kia dealer one time slap "Adjusted Market Value" on every model they had on display at a local mall.

I think Honda dealers will quickly find out though that if they front load a $18,500 Insight LX up to $20,000, they'll begin losing a lot of buyers to Accords, Camrys, and Altimas at that price point.

Either that, or consumers will try to get a deal on the last of the '09 Priuses...
    In case you hadn't seen these already.

On MSNBC.com
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28676262/

and on Motor Week to air this Friday morning (1/30/09) on Speed Channel
    http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2821a.shtml

Enjoy,
    Don
  • The March '09 issue of Car and Driver magazine has a very good review of the 2010 Insight.

One of the items that caught my eye was the 68dB interior sound level ay 70mph cruising. That is a commendably low number for what thus far has been called an "econobox". Quietness conveys a luxary impression and C&D noted that this is a quiet car at speed.
  • How can everyone comment on the car when no one owns one yet? Karen: I have read a thousand blogs. A lot are good and a lot are stupid. I have an Insight on order already. I will get one of the first ones in my area. I will get the real cost and the real gas mileage as soon as almost anyone. Then we can talk realistically about the car. Remember, the car is what it is. It is not a fast, great cornering, chic magnet. It is an economy car. Asking for ridiculous options probably is not going o happen. It is a car for the future. It is what most people will be driving in 5-6 years. The fuel and co2 mandates are coming. Gas will go up "drastically" again.
    But, if you read Karen's post I think you'll see that she's asking what research each of us have done on the 2010 Honda Insight. As in, " If you are in the process of researching a new or future Honda Insight". Since many people use Edmunds for the purpose of reseach they probably want to know if Edmunds was used and what other sites were also looked at. She's talking "foreplay", you're thinking "consumated".
    :)
  • 204meca204meca Posts: 366
    Is the Insight any better of a deal than a similarly-equipped Fit?

Insight LX at $18,500ish vs. Fit base automatic at around $16,500?

Insight EX at $20,000 ish vs. a Fit Sport automatic at around $18,000?

My questions exactly! :D I can't wait to hear what dweiser & others who have had both will say after they have had their Insight for month or two. I will be reading this site a lot after the Insight are released!
  • $2,000 is not the only reason to choose a car. Hopefully, the Insight will ride better with the longer wheelbase. It will take years to catch $2,000 with gas mileage. Unless you are really hooked into lessening our dependence on foreign oil and gas mileage is more important. However, you have like looks of any car more than another. That is the key.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    At 15,000 miles a year and 30 mpg average for the Fit and 40 for the Insight (both pretty conservative I think), it will take about 8 years to make up the $2000 difference when gas is $2 a gallon. But if gas goes back to $4 a gallon, as it was not long ago, then it's just 4 years to recoup the difference. I have a feeling Honda is betting gas won't stay at $2 a gallon for very long. I would take that bet also.
  • I have a friend who has a Honda Fit. He is Mr. gas mileage. He is the most conservative driver around. He said he gets 31 mpg for combined (mostly city) driving. I have heard 49-52 for the Insight but that is only speculation at this point. I will know more in May. It doesn't take a genius to know that when China and other countries wanting more oil, OPEC producing less and the U.S. co2 laws, it won't take more than a year for gas to be knocking on $4 again.
    Dealer (South Carolina) emailed me today (2/9) that they will have three 2010 Insights in late March. Colors are white, silver, and the light blue (don't know its name).
  • ...it won't take more than a year for gas to be knocking on $4 again.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////- //////////////////////////////////////

Crazy as it may sound, I hope right but I think you're wrong. The price of oil is tied closely to the health of the world's economies. Barring a major catastrophic event bringing the price of oil up quickly, we're well over a year away from a healthy economy, and high oil prices.

Here in the Midwest regular gasoline topped out at $4/gallon last July. It was as low as $1.50/gallon around the 1st of the year and is now about $1.80, due more to local gouging than higher oil prices.

$3/gallon should be our mid-summer peak in 2009 - probably lower. $4/gallon gasoline will be back, but the summer of 2010 is the earliest it will happen. That's why we need a $1/gallon gas tax to help fund "infrastructure stimulus", at least while prices are low.