Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Honda Insight 5-passenger Hatchback

Comments

• dweiserdweiser Posts: 288
    Go to Honda's web site and do a dealer locate with 100 or so miles. Email each of them telling them what you want (color, model, etc.) and ask them to email you their best price. That's how to shop vehicles today. and get your best price. If they won't play ball, expand your search. Host is right, on a new car with limited supply, they can and do ask a premium BUT with this economy, they should be happy just to sell you a vehicle. In my search for my Insight (delivered Friday) one candid salesperson confessed it was almost the end of the month and she'd sold just one Honda!
    I hope I'm not breaking some kind of rule here and not sure if this will even work but worth a try.
    http://rides.webshots.com/album/570741185XOUgIu
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 6,068
    An easy place to post your pictures is on your CarSpace page albums. If you haven't set up your CarSpace page yet, it's really easy. Just click on the My CarSpace link near the top left of this page.

If you have any questions about setting it up, just click on my username and send me an email and I'll be glad to help you out.

Need some roadside assistance? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• 204meca204meca Posts: 366
    After driving a 2009 Fit 2 months ago, I have been very eager to get behind the wheel of the new Insight. I noticed one Insight on the local Honda store lot today & stopped on in. I really like the look both outside & in - it has a sharp sporty look that is much much better in person than pictures. I drove an EX for about 6 miles. It has typical Honda tauntness to it, but the ride is quite & comfortable and quiet for a small car. The interior is not real spacious, but again comfortable (I am not a large guy -5' 8", 155 lbs). Rear seat is tight for head space & shoulder space. Hatch reasonably spacious. The height adjustable front seat is a nice plus & the fit & finish was good. It drives very smoothly in either regular or Eco mode. Acceleration was more than adequate for our local traffic with the CVT provides its typical odd feeling with no shifts points. That said I had a Civic HX with CVT & currently have an A4 with CVT & I love the CVT's smoothness. I found it very easy to keep up with the light traffic & keep the speedo in the green band which indicated outstanding fuel economy. It would probably feel a iffy in big city rush hour traffic. The car cruised very smoothly & quietly on the freeway at 65 in eco mode. I am suprpised to say that I think this could be a very comfortable car for long distance travel.

My main negative finding was with the front seat; it just did not hit me right. When I initially got in the seat, there was some uncomfortable pressure on my thighs from the bottom edge of the front seat (too high) and the lumbar support (too high & too firm). During the test drive, I did not notice lumbar discomfort, but did notice thigh discomfort. Interestingly, although the seats are supposedly the same on the LX & EX, when I sat briefly in the LX, I didn't feel the same pressure, but that was only a minute of seat time. Obviously the feel of the front seat is a very individual thing depending on one's body conformation, but for me, it may be a deal breaker.

In comparison to my test drive of a Fit a month ago. The Fit is not as comfortable as the Insight, but it easily wins in the handling and spacious departments.

Most likely I will buy either a Fit or Insight in the next year. I calculated how long it would take to make up for the extra $4,400 cost (MSRP) of the hybrid assuming that I would drive it about 9K miles/ year & that be able to get 15 more mpg with the Insight. Alas it looks like it would take about 16 years with fuel at $3/gallon, and about 8 years if it goes to $6.gallon to make up the $4,400 difference. So the payback time & the seat comfort may force me to settle for the Fit. The dealer will let me take either car home for an overnight & if I found that the Insight's seat worked with my body, it would be a much harder decision.

I found it curious that even though they had 9 Fits on the lot, they all had a $2K "adjusted market value" sticker. I am certain that this is there for the few naive customers that come in & don't dicker. Believe it or not it happens. 20 years ago , my mother drove by an Oldsmobile dealer, saw a car that caught her fancy & walked in and bought it with no questions asked. Last fall another acquaintance decided to get a Hyundai Accent. Before the dealer was done with her she paid over $4,000 more than the sticker -- and they had about 15 other Accents on the lot! So, it works for the dealer at times. That said, my salesguy readily admitted that they could get a way with the mark up when gas was over $4 /gallon & they could not keep Fits on the lot. Now, they will deal.

In summary I could happily live with either the car. Overall I prefer the Insight over the Fit due to appeance and ride comfort. I plan to keep watching the forums and eventually have one or the other in my garage.
  • rookie60rookie60 Posts: 39
    If you are looking at initial cost, obviously the Fit is the choice. Comfort should play a part; as should appearance of each car to you. Which one do you want parked in your driveway? Another consideration which almost no one talks about is residual cost. At the end of 5-6 or 8 years, how much could you get for each car? If the Insight turns out to be a popular car, maybe it will be worth $2K-$4K more at selling time. That makes gas payback time less. Still, which car do you like the looks of right now. That's the car to buy. I would hate to buy one car and then wish I would have bought the other one a year later.
    Not bragging just a happy camper. I traded in my 2005 Honda Element EX AWD (which I very much liked but the warranty had run out) for a 2009 Fit Sport w/Navi when they first came out. I liked the Element so much over the years (not my first Honda) that I was a little worried I'd have regrets with the Fit. Glad to say I had none. The Fit got me 34 mpg with just short mountain trips; the Element got around 23 mpg. Anyway, who wants to read a novel right. My 2010 Insight arrived last Friday. I like it. As 204meca stated above, the Insight is MUCH nicer looking in person. I got Tango Red which is a wine color and goes nicely with the gray interior. Today (3/30) they delivered mt (new) 2009 Honda Fit Sport w/Navi in Milano Red. I'd owned a Nissan Murano so am used to CVT transmissions. This is supposed to be a comparo isn't it? I traded in my Porsche Boxster on the 2nd Fit as the dealer gave me a good deal (they have a dealership that also sells Porsches or I wouldn't have gotten the deal (cash back) I got. I wasn't driving the Porsche, the Fit and the Insight are more technologically advanced with fewer problems and oil & filter changes won't be $150! The Fit and the Insight are different cars with different virtues. No fog lights standard on the Insight - I wasted a bit of time trying to figure out how to turn the non-existent fog lights on. Also, no stereo controls on the Insight steering wheel. Having lived up North most of my life (South now) I was happy to see an outside air temp. gauge on the Insight; the Fit does not offer that. More later as I get more seat time in the Insight but I hope you found this at least a little "insightful".
    You say you got a Fit Sport "when they first came out". Then you said they just delivered your new Fit Sport "Today (3/30). You have 2 Fits and 1 Insight. Why???
    Rookie: >>Another consideration which almost no one talks about is residual cost. At the end of 5-6 or 8 years, how much could you get for each car?<<

That is a serious consideration that I have been playing in my mind. I hope to keep my next econ hatch for 7 years. I am confident that the engine on the Fit will not need any major repairs & still be fresh after 7 years / 70K miles & that the next buyer can trust if for 100K. With the Insight it may be getting to the point that some of the batteries need to be replaced (I understand the warranty to be 8 yrs in non CARB states & 10 yrs in CARB states. So, will the concern of need to lay out some significant cash in a year or two for the Insight result in decreased resale value. So far the Toyota battery packs seem to be exceeding expections. It would be an interesting exercise to conpared the p% of deprecation of a 2002 Prius to a 2002 Corolla. Not sure I have the time & energy to do that.

The other unknown is will gas cost $3/gal in 2017 (unlikely) or $10/gal. IF gas cost is double or triple what it is today, the Insight should have much higher resale. Unfortunately we don't know today the duration of the batteries (although I suspect they will exceed 8 years) nor the cost of gas (my guess is it will be over $5/gal).

Here there is an interesting discussion on the batteries of the previous generation including this post <a href="http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f0fdb4b/41" target="_blank">http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f0fdb4b/41.. The folder is "Honda Insight Hybrid Battery Pack Questions". Of course the Insight's batteries are "new & improved".
    Click on link below to see one of the best reviews of 2010 Insight

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=808565
  • Was at the Honda dealership last getting an oil change on my honda and test drove an 2010 Insight.
    The dealership was very slow for being the last day of the month and many sales people standing around waiting for something to happen which probably will never happen in this economy.

Drove the car 40.8 miles on freeway, city streets and single lane country roads at posted speeds drving the car like an "80 year old Bag lady that was light on the gas pedal.
    Many other motorists were pissed off that I was driving the car this way like gliding to a stoplight and taking off from a stoplight slow to get the best gas mileage results.

I averaged 38.7 mpg with the "ECO" button on and 40.6mpg with the "ECO" button off after a 40 mile test drive.

The cornering of the cars was sloppy as well as the steering. The seat fabric seemed cheap and likely to stain.

The car did seem peppy, but seemed underpowered and not of Honda Quality.

It is confusing to figure out all of the electronic controls and found myself not keeping my eye on the road.

I think this car would be fun at first, but the novelty would wear off after a couple of months. I am concerned that the electronics of this car would fail as this car is not a bullet-proof Honda such as a 2009 Honda Civic DX-VP would perform.

I would not buy this car as it has to much "junk" on it and it is too expensive.

The best Honda I owned was my 1991 Civic-Dx 4-door which went 265000 miles and was totally a bullent-proof Honda with no maintenace.

I see this Honda requiring alot of upkeep after the warranty expires.

I see the future in Honda's Clarity and cars like the CRV-LX and the Civic LX.

Overall there is nothing special about his cars unless you want to be the first one on your block to own one and have everyone coming over to inquire about it.

I was not impressed at all!!!
  • lucien4lucien4 Posts: 68
    I think one of the best reviews is CleanMPG (depending on what you look for in the review). I collected links to most reviews on my Insight blog article:

http://lucienk.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!A4AE3FB12A26635!952.entry

The MotorTrend Insight to Prius III video comparison is pretty interesting as well. The winner is different from Edmunds comparison but that's because pricing was considered a factor.

The Insight is more expensive than a Fit (little bit less if your state offers sale tax exemption for Hybrids) but 2-3K cheaper than a Prius/Civic. Many people expect bit more for the price forgetting it's still a Hybrid and you do still pay some premium. But the premium is much lower than it ever was before. It's rumoured that Toyota might lower the Prius III price therefore (they did lower it in Japan but not in Europe).

The CR-Z and Jazz/Fit Hybrid will arrive next year so there will be more choices. Honda also confirmed working on a larger vehicle hybrid system (which I assume will offer more luxurious choices).
    I own a 2010 Insight and a 2009 Fit Sport. While I agree with many of vagabondchef's early impressions I have a few of my own to offer. If I had driven an Insight before buying one (I didn't even drive it before I bought it?), sadly, I may not have bought one and I would be the loser. Yes, the turning circle is greater than the Fit, handling seems less defined that the Fit, I've never drive a hybrid before and the brakes seem a tad weird to be honest - you press the brake pedal to stop, the car wants to stop (longer distance than the Fit (seems like) and just as you are stopping you "squirt" a few more feet/yards? A bit un-nerving.
    I got used to/over all the above by my 2nd drive in the Insight.
    The Insight is nicer looking (my opinion) than the Fit (which I like) or the Prius. The Insight lets you know/displays the outside temp., the Fit does not.
    I have just a hundred or so miles on each but the Insight is nearing 40 mpg and the Fit around 30. My previous 2009 Fit was getting 34 on short trips over curvy two lane (never 4 lanes) mountain roads.
    Oh, one other thing, I'm short and I've already bumped my head (a good thing?) 3 or 4 times playing around (front seat/rear seat) in the Insight.
    Lucian's site suggests that a Hybrid Fit could arrive next year is very intriging to me. First of all I wonder why they would have the Fit in both modes. Seems like it could really dilute the sales of the new Insight.

Does anyone seriously think that there will be a hybrid Fit in the next year or two?

If a hybid Fit could match the mgp of the Insight & keep its superior interior space & handling, & cost the same or less, it would be a no brainer purchase for me. I will be watching for the latest developments!
    It seems weird that Honda would add more competition with the Fit Hybrid but they did recently reaffirm this. It might be similar to the Insight competing with the Civic Hybrid: price diff isn't quite as big and design/features are distinct enough to find different type of buyers.

Re mileage it clearly depends on the route but on average you should be able to exceed the EPA rating after the break-in period. Relatively speaking though improvement of 33% is really not bad. How much again depends on the route. Here's a motor trend fuel economy test with ideal road conditions (not stopping and not high speed). He got 65mpg and 28 mpg when he drove bit faster:

http://www.motortrend.com/av/roadtests/112_0901_2010_honda_insight_mileage_test_- - video/index.html

PS I've maintained a list of upcoming Hybrids here:

http://lucienk.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!A4AE3FB12A26635!912.entry
    As far as a Fit hybrid, I think there will be a lot of hybrids from all manufacturers in the next 5 years. I think we will get out of this slump in 1-3 years. Then, with gas prices rising and demand rising, gas will go to $4+ again. Also, the new co2 laws and mileage increases come in. I think that in about 2015, most new cars will be hybrids. At $4+ per gallon, and with gov't mandates, look for the Fit hybrid among others.
  • franko1franko1 Posts: 15
    I just bought a 2010 insight last week and so far I think I screwed up. I spent over 12 hours reading the manual trying to understand the electronics and I am so confused that I wish they would take it back. I know computers, but this system is for PHD's, not avg. people. For instance, this veh. has about 65 fuses, 35 categories that you can click on for specific functions , like locking doors. That has 5 more windows. You can default all the important functions to get back to factory set-up, this is after you really screw it up. Presently, after trying to get the passenger door to unlock with shifter in park is hopeless after 20 minutes of sweating. It still does not work. The programming and manual are not in sinc. I agree with the gentleman's opinion of ths pos. It's so slow that I never had so many people riding my bumper. The feds should ban this pos from our roadways.
  • tiff_ctiff_c Posts: 531
    Ok, the fact that the car is complicated to setup exactly the way you want, is understandable. I'm certain it's a PITA to deal with and hopefully your local dealer can help you with some of that. But as far as performance goes. You did drive the car before you bought it, correct?
    I mean it's something you'd notice on a normal test drive. Just like I noticed how cramped the back seats are and I'm only 5'7" tall.
    Power was ok compared to a Honda Fit. But compared to a Prius the Insight is a bit slower feeling and not as comfortable.
    But the power didn't change from the test drive until now. Did you turn off ECON mode? That will give you more power.
  • Take back to the dealer and park it on the front door step and trade it in. This car is nothing but smoke and mirrors!!!!

Buy a normal Honda!!!
    Take back to the dealer and park it on the front door step and trade it in. This car is nothing but smoke and mirrors!!!!

Buy a normal Honda!!!

I own a Honda Fit Sport. I test drove the Insight. I was not impressed. My point to you was that if you drove the car before you bought it, you would be aware of the power it does/n't have.
    It's a 99HP car, it's meant for city driving, like the Fit and most small cars.
    I find the 118HP of the Fit barely adequate for the hills in my area. So 99HP wouldn't be enough especially in the winter on the barely plowed roads.
    The preferences menu is almost identical to most Honda's/Acura. See page 106. To set the preference select SETUP and then select 'DOOR SETUP' / 'AUTO DOOR UNLOCK' and choose 'ALL DOORS WITH SHIFT TO P'. If that doesn't work I would check with the dealer.

The total combined HP is 111HP. No doubt the Fit is little bit faster (about 1 sec to 60mph). Using the S mode helps little bit (EX models).
    Gee, a lot of anger and frustration with the Insight eh. I'm just getting to really like mine. I too sat in the driver's seat for a good while trying to get the doors to NOT lock as I drive down the road. It wasn't intuitive and it sure wasn't fun BUT I'm happy to report they do no longer lock automatically. Please allow me to try to help with the doors locking: I have a 2010 EX with no Navi ......
    Try this with the engine off, be in Park, put the key in and in position "ON 2", page 128.
    To get started, go to page 76 of your owner's manual. There are two "Info" navigation buttons on the outer steering wheel around 4 or 5 o'clock which the driver pushes towards the front of the vehicle or away from him/her.
    One has an up arrow and the lower a down arrow to navigate the menu system
    There is also one "Select" button in back of the two Info buttons which the driver uses to pick his/her choices. The driver pulls this button towards them to select an option after using the two Info buttons to navigate thru the menus.
    Clear as mud so far?
    To enter the "Change Settings" mode, go to Pg. 91 of the manual. When you want to change the factory settings (be not afraid), hold either of the two Info buttons and hold for more than 3 seconds. (This is a lot like work.)
    If you have followed instructions like a good German you should now be able to up or down arrow the Info buttons until you get to "DOOR SETUP". When you see "DOOR SETUP" pull the Select button (behind the Info buttons) toward you.
    Use the Info buttons to get to "AUTO DOOR LOCK" and pull Select towards you. Pg. 106. Once in "AUTO DOOR LOCK" there are 3 choices: "SHIFT FROM P", "WITH VEHICLE SPEED", and "OFF". Page 107.
    Use the Info buttons to cycle until "OFF" is displayed then pull "Select" towards you.
    When you are finished cursing and having a nervous breakdown, INFO button through the menus until you see EXIT and press Select. Congratulations, go pour yourself a nice strong drink and wait for Honda to mail you your promotion to Pilot of the Enterprise Space Station!
    To recap - it's not bad IF you just remember this, Navigate the menu system using the Info buttons, change the setting using the Select button before going into the swamp.
    I hope this helps, it probably won't. If it doesn't, please keep it to yourself or I may have to come over and kill you.
    :)
    Gee, a lot of anger and frustration with the Insight eh. I'm just getting to really like mine. I too sat in the driver's seat for a good while trying to get the doors to NOT lock as I drive down the road. It wasn't intuitive and it sure wasn't fun BUT I'm happy to report they do no longer lock automatically. Please allow me to try to help with the doors locking: I have a 2010 EX with no Navi ......

Actually it's someone else that has a problem with the doors, not me. I've just test driven the car and found it to be underpowered for my needs.
  • Finally got to take a test drive with this new Hybrid and this is what I found to like and dislike.

1. First noticed that the car seemed just a tiny bit cheap looking inside and out, but not much to sway me to leave. Just thought it could be some what like my 09 Civic EX-L

2. The Interior seemed too busy for the dash and that the area for the NAV system looked as an after thought with this black shiny plastic that really turned me off on. The regular radio, none nav system looked a bit better.

3. Back Seat area... What back seat area ? For kids yes and for smaller people maybe, but for my 6-3 size and yes even for the sales rep 5-8 size, we had issues. For me, even with the front seat pulled forward, I had trouble with my legs and as for my head, I had to bend it forward since there was not enough head room. What was Honda thinking with this limited back seat ?

This was a deal breaker. Many of my friends are 6-0 or more and that would be intolerable to them.

4. Test drive. Not too far, about 5 miles or a tad more. For the city part, it performed well, not great nor did I expect it to for a hybrid. Trying to push it some, the engine sounded course, some what loud over my 09 Civic Automatic.

If it was not for the back seating issue and the cheap looking dash where the NAV would go, I would have purchase it then and there.

Will now take a wait and see on any rumored 2011 Civic, Civic Hybrid, Fit Hybrid or go with the Toyota 2010 Prius that will hold larger passengers in the back, but of course it will cost about 4 thousand or more for it.
  • OK, after some thought and much drinking, I went ahead and took another test drive and now reporting an update from above earlier post, which reported I did not like (A deal breaker) the lack of good rear seating, I went ahead and bought the 2010 Insight today.

The second test drive gave me some more confidence that even with a tight rear seating after adjusting the front seat a bit more that it was tolerable for some of my family and friends, not to mention not wanting to pay at least 5 grand more for the Prius.

I got the White Pearl EX no Nav with the added front fog lamps that really make it stand out more over the none fog lights.
  • whitey9whitey9 Posts: 138
    Which model of Insight II did you get? The LX, EX, or EX with Navi? Quite possibly there are major differences between the three models regarding the operation of door locks, windows and such.
    Many, many times these nuances get lost in translation.
    An LX may not offer the adaptability that either or one ( EX w/Navi ) of the other models does.
    Because franko1 states he bought the EX no Navi and I also stated I bought the EX no Navi?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,456
    How is the Prius 5 grand more? You can get one for 21k including delivery.
  • Three days with the Insight EX.

First day I immediately went to the gas station to top it off very early in the morning, then drove about three miles back home. I registered on the insight about 54 mpg. Only one stop light during those short three miles and did use the Econ button thingy. Very impressed.

Now city driving only for two days, early morning, no traffic 1/2 mile to and 1/2 mile back from the bank or store, driving normally, no hypermiling stuff, just normal. Not enough time to warm up the engine, so did not expect great numbers. I got about 34/36 mpg in those two days.

One has to conclude ( Common sense ) that you get lower mpg no matter what car you drive, not having the car warmed up and just a very short drive.

Had a 09 Civic Auto with Nav, got 25/26 mpg on a 4 mile to and from work city only. Soon retired and drove that 1/2 mile to and 1/2 mile back driving stuff and got 17 mpg. See how it works ?

Fabric is on par with the Civic I owned back in 06, my 09 had leather. Unknown how well it will keep nor does anyone else, so don't let others con you into believing it is junk.

Upkeep after the warranty remark by vaga should not have been stated. He, I, and no one else has a clue as to any upkeep after the warranty. Do not have a Crystal ball, but I hope it will last a good while.

The car is nice, could be much better, and will be when in 5 years time the full make over arrives as with any new model.

Regarding the about 5 grand more, let me clarify this. The brand new Prius still the price has not been announced, will cost about 5 grand more for the Level 3 which will include a big mark up as I have experienced, not any where near 21 or 22 grand. The Insight, at one dealer I visited, is going for $1,000 over MSRP for the LX and $2,000 over MSRP for the EX. I paid just slighty under MSRP for my EX since I am a long time buyer from this dearlership.

Toyota dearlerships have been known to pump up the price on a brand new model year unless you are lucky. Don't know where you got the $21,000 or so price for a 2010 Prius since pricing is not out yet, so I will forgive you on that one. And no, I will not compare prices on a 2009 model, only between a 2010 Insight and a 2010 Prius to keep it simple.
    $21,000 for the Prius??? I agree with vagabondchef. Toyota lists the 2009 Prius as $22,000 plus $750 for destination ($22,750). If you want cruise and vehicle stability control, it comes to $24,125. Prices go up to $27,275, ACCORDING TO TOYOTA. Obviously, the 2010 model will be more. Toyota knows that they are more expensive than the Insight. It is a more complicated system. That is also why they are saying they are going to make another cheaper model (maybe the Yaris as a hybrid) to complete in price with the Insight. I think the Toyota is a better car (arguably). I just can't deal with the terrible dash and the slit for the speedo.
    The car is nice, could be much better, and will be when in 5 years time the full make over arrives as with any new model.

I doubt Honda will take 5 years to tweak the Insight. From what I have seen in the past they will find out from consumers what issues crop up the most and resolve them. I think they should have offered the same interior options as they do on the Civic. Let's be honest the Civic parts bin is overflowing as it is and it's cost effective to use Civic interior parts. The Civic has a good interior considering the cost. They are already using the steering wheel, etc...
    I expect minor changes each year until the 2015 model comes out. Toyota has done the same with the Prius.