Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Honda Insight 5-passenger Hatchback

Comments

• The new Insight will come out five years after this release and Honda will not make any major changes until then. Some tweaks yes, but the body style will remain the same.

What I would like to see is a larger back seat area, a better layout for the instrument panel, and that will not be given during the five year stretch for this new Insight.

Within 3 years, honda will offer Leather seats probably, some more colors and a small tweaking of the the front and rear head lights as they have done on the civic and other cars.
  • rookie60rookie60 Posts: 39
    Remember, the Insight is a cheap hybrid. It is not a fancy do-all car. Just like ANY car, it will evolve over time. 4-5 years is what any car will stay the same. The Insight III will be a better car. AND the Insight IV will be better yet.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,456
    http://fitzmall.com/fitzway/carfind/RESULTSB.ASP?V_XREFID=LFT520255:2009-01-29T2- - - 3:15:04.930

Brand new 09 Prius for $21k with stability control and rear view backup camera.

The 2010 list price will probably not go up much if any as they have decontented in some ways - new display screen etc, and have economy of scale plus competition.

BTW - why not compare the 2009 as it is larger than the Honda and gets better mpg. Yes it does not handle as well, but that will still probably be the case for the 2010.
  • lucien4lucien4 Posts: 68
    The Prius II comparison to Insight II has been discussed to death and it comes down mostly to personal preference anyway. However almost all reviews say that mileage is about the same between these 2 so that's not a big factor.

Pricing for Prius III would be announced tomorrow and rumors are that Toyota is lowering the base price to $21000 to be able to compete with the Insight. The base model though wouldn't be available first couple of months.

The 21K price seems to good to be true but Prius hasn't sold well so might be real deal. According to Edmunds the TMV price is more like 1K below MSRP.
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Posts: 936
    I test drove the new Insight,and I must say I was underwhelmed.The car was noticeably underpowered.You have to buy the more expensive one to get cruise or the alloy wheels.The interior is unimpressive and finding various controls is not intuitive.I would not buy one.
  • gracejgracej Posts: 6
    I just penciled a deal for a new insight and am considering both the fog lights and the mirror upgrade.

Has anyone tried installing these themselves. I'm wondering how difficult it is in practice.

Would also like to know how much fog lights actually help in the fog. I've never had experience with them.

Thanks for any input
  • dweiserdweiser Posts: 288
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article6294116.ece
    This is the guy from "Top Gear", he hates Porsche 911s too.
    Have a good laugh.
    Don
    I have seen Jeremy Clarkson before. He is an idiot.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,805
    Would also like to know how much fog lights actually help in the fog. I've never had experience with them.

Depends on the fog lights. Most fog lights I see on cars these days are white which IMHO do no more than regular headlights. Yellow or amber fog lights are better because they stand out in the white fog and are more noticeable and can be seen farther out than white lights.

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

• mickeyrommickeyrom Posts: 936
    I drove an Insight and came away disppointed.Most of what he says is true,but I happen to like hybrids,just not this one.I drive a 4 cyl car with a 5 speed auto, and the Insight makes my car seem like a race car.
    I agree that amber colored fog lights would be better. Also they should be placed lower. However, in most conditions, late at night, in the country with no extra lights, any extra light will help; especially as you get older and can't see as well. Every little bit helps.
    It is my first hybrid but still, it's weird.
    Mostly I just have two problems with it; the going and the stopping.
    :)
    Acceleration is painfully slow even compared to my non-rocketship Fit,
    braking is weird, as is stopping,
    starting from a stop (the gas engine has shut itself off) causes the entire car to shudder, then nothing, then you move ahead, very slowly,
    handling is not very nice either,
    ride quality is barely o.k.
    steering the Insight feels more like you're the captain of a huge oil tanker and every turn feels like you're going wide; not to worry, you usually are!
    I'm 5' 9" (maybe 5' 8") and I can NOT see the speedometer no matter what position I put the driver's seat in.
    One bangs ones head at almost every exit and entry and the back seat is much worse! Honda should include a bottle of aspirin with every Insight.
    It's a weird car, I'd have to call it a mistake.
    My other car is a Honda Fit and I owned an Element prior to that so I'm actually a Honda fan; just not of the Insight.
  • Did you test drive the Insight before purchasing it?
    I did. I'm 6'4" and have no problems with seeing the speedometer.
    I like the way the car starts and stops and I don't hold up the traffic at all.
  • galileo5galileo5 Posts: 10
    You can tilt the steering wheel so you can view the speedometer.

I also don't know what you mean by wide turns. My 2010 Insight doesn't make wide turns.
  • 6-3 here and no issues with the speedometer after adjusting the seat hight and or steering wheel.

Acceleration is fair and expected it to be with a hybrid. Turned off Econ or put the shift into "S" and no issues with accelerations at all.

No shudder when stopping. It justs goes to sleep which was interesting at first

Handling for me is about the same as my 09 Civic non hybrid automatic

I have never banged my head on anything getting into or out of the vehicle from the front. Do not drive from the back seat so this is not an issue. Back seat is not good for tall people but I also remember the Civic Coup with a really bad back seat (Room) as well...
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Did anyone see that Consumer Reports has ranked the Insight 21 out of 22 hatchbacks / wagons? They also called it "the most disappointing Honda Consumer Reports has tested in a long time,"

OUCH!

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/06/30/i-consumer-reports-i-lambasts-honda-insight-r- anks-it-21-out/
    Thanks aviboy97 (see directly above). If you're a hybrid and Consumer Reports "can't recommend you", you know you're a real POS!
  • hoyafanhoyafan Posts: 48
    That Consumer Reports review really slammed the Insight. I'll stick with the Ford Fusion Hybrid!

The FFH excels in all the areas that CR slammed the Insight: "ride quality, handling, interior noise, acceleration, rear-seat, access, and visibility,"
    Surprised a bit about ride quality. I picked up my Insight on June 19. Ride quality is pretty good. Handling is on par for a car in this class. Interior noise is loud on heavy acceleration however. Any rear seat in any compact is cramped. Visibility in back could be better. However, the bottom line is this car was made to sip gas. It does. My first tank was 45.5. I am on the second tank now and it appears to be about 46mpg. Maybe when it gets 3,000-4,000 miles on it, I can crack 50mpg. That is what this car is all about.
    P.S. I also own a Corvette. I use that for handling and acceleration.
  • captwestcaptwest Posts: 2
    I have found the Insight to be relatively quiet and it handles well. Yes, the engine noise will be loud on heavy acceleration, but, this car is not meant to be driven this way. A purchaser of the Insight will be very disappointed if they think it is going to drive like a G-35 and get 42 mpg. I have decided to slow down and take it easy, but if you are on the highway, give yourself plenty of room and lane changing time. Also, for those of us sweating it out in Florida year round or in the summer anywhere else, auto shut down of the engine and the AC can be overriden by putting the car into "S" after coming to a stop at a light and then lightly touching the brake. You can also place in into Neutral and leave your foot off the brake.
  • I find the MPG on the Insight (and the Civic Hybrid) disappointing. I have an 05 Civic VP 5 speed. I drive mainly highway at 60-65 MPH, a little suburban stop-light stuff and have averaged over 43 mpg over the 150000 miles on the car to date, often top 48 mpg on tanks and have passed 50 twice (scanguage mpg corrected for Civic's "optimistic" odometer / speedometer and for correct volume of fuel sipensed).

Granted I drive with an eye towards MPG and I would probably do better in a hybrid. But I paid under 12k for the car new (end of model design). I just cant make myself pay nearly twice that much for a car with only slightly better MPG and a potentially sketchier maitenance and repair outlook. Shouldn't the MPG on these hybrids be Much better?
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Posts: 266
    You brought up a good point. However, many purchase hybrids for the "green cache" attached to it...not for mpg only.
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Posts: 182
    Howdy all...
    The Insight EX version looks to be a perfect machine for my lady and I, but I have one question, and please forgive my ignorance with what I'm about to ask but I'm not all that familiar with Honda product:
    Is there no roadside assistance available with this machine whatsoever? :confuse:
    Not even as an option? :cry:
    Please, someone in the know inform.
    I'd sure appreciate it.
    Many thanx...
    Peace!<-AladdinSane<- :shades: -
  • 9 to 10 mile loop with my Insight, air on in hot florida whether, I observed around 44/46 mpg. Not bad for City driving, and not being too very careful in how smoothly I drive either. Have not done any highway driving yet. Shorter driving distances without getting the engine warmed up is a mpg killer, over longer city or highway driving that will give one a better mpg reading.

My 09 Civic in the same loop got about 25/26 mpg. 09 is a automatic, EX-L with Nav which makes a little difference over a standard transmission.

Also have to remember, newer cars are mandated by law to have more smog control devices and that will kill mpg as well....

If one would log onto this link below to find out what others are getting as far as mpg on various models you will learn that most are not getting any where near what you got with your 2005 Honda Civic.

http://www.truedelta.com/fuel_economy.php
  • Road side assistance will come if you opt for the extended warranty in most cases, but no, Honda does not offer this alone when buying their cars. Best to have AAA or some other Auto club membership that maybe cheaper. Mine from AAA is about $80.00 per year
  • galileo5galileo5 Posts: 10
    Doesn't your insurance offer roadside assistance? Mine does for one-dollar extra. I have Progressive.
  • ggg8ggg8 Posts: 1
    mpg drops about 30% to upper 20's with AC on (ECO mode or not), so if you live where it's hot don't expect good mileage in summer. In ECO mode AC shuts off at a full stop so if you are in stop and go traffic ECO mode is pretty uncomfortable in warm climate.

I have April 2010 EX with 1000 mi now in Hawaii.
    Not sure what you mean about "30% to upper 20's with AC on". My Insight has been averaging 45-46 since June 19. Mostly the air is on. This is whether I drive the car or my wife drives the car. The Insight is not a fancy car but the mileage has been 44-46 since we picked it up on June 19.
  • If you do not drive longer distances, such as 5 mile one way or more, the car may not be warmed up enough to give you better gas mileage with or without the air on.

I test drove my Insight driving an 8 to 9 mile round trip in the City and averaged about 44/46 mpg.

Drove only 1/2 mile up and 1/2 mile back from the store, or bank for a months time and averaged about 29 miles per gallon with the air on. See the big difference ? Ambient temps, how far one drives, is the car warmed up enough, air on or off and how long those traffic lights are will play a big difference in your gas mileage. Not to mention if you dive it like you did with a non hybrid car. Fast and careless attitude so to speak.
  • pielev09pielev09 Posts: 6
    A Honda Insight LX wille allow you to drive on icy road in the Winter not the Prius 2010 because they forgot to include a (Vehicule Stability Control)VSC OFF button to disengaged the system so that when you go up a hill in Winter with the Prius 2010, your engine is turned off by the system. You are then stuck in the snow while standard forward traction cars pass you by. It happened to me after driving a 2008 Prius from March to Early December 08. I had to get rid of the Prius because of that. The Toyota Corolla 2010 has a VSC OFF button but the Japanese Engineers with their 1000 patents for the Prius 2010 forgot to include that one.