Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Honda Insight 5-passenger Hatchback

Comments

• I find the MPG on the Insight (and the Civic Hybrid) disappointing. I have an 05 Civic VP 5 speed. I drive mainly highway at 60-65 MPH, a little suburban stop-light stuff and have averaged over 43 mpg over the 150000 miles on the car to date, often top 48 mpg on tanks and have passed 50 twice (scanguage mpg corrected for Civic's "optimistic" odometer / speedometer and for correct volume of fuel sipensed).

Granted I drive with an eye towards MPG and I would probably do better in a hybrid. But I paid under 12k for the car new (end of model design). I just cant make myself pay nearly twice that much for a car with only slightly better MPG and a potentially sketchier maitenance and repair outlook. Shouldn't the MPG on these hybrids be Much better?
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Posts: 266
    You brought up a good point. However, many purchase hybrids for the "green cache" attached to it...not for mpg only.
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Posts: 182
    Howdy all...
    The Insight EX version looks to be a perfect machine for my lady and I, but I have one question, and please forgive my ignorance with what I'm about to ask but I'm not all that familiar with Honda product:
    Is there no roadside assistance available with this machine whatsoever? :confuse:
    Not even as an option? :cry:
    Please, someone in the know inform.
    I'd sure appreciate it.
    Many thanx...
    Peace!<-AladdinSane<- :shades: -
  • 9 to 10 mile loop with my Insight, air on in hot florida whether, I observed around 44/46 mpg. Not bad for City driving, and not being too very careful in how smoothly I drive either. Have not done any highway driving yet. Shorter driving distances without getting the engine warmed up is a mpg killer, over longer city or highway driving that will give one a better mpg reading.

My 09 Civic in the same loop got about 25/26 mpg. 09 is a automatic, EX-L with Nav which makes a little difference over a standard transmission.

Also have to remember, newer cars are mandated by law to have more smog control devices and that will kill mpg as well....

If one would log onto this link below to find out what others are getting as far as mpg on various models you will learn that most are not getting any where near what you got with your 2005 Honda Civic.

http://www.truedelta.com/fuel_economy.php
  • Road side assistance will come if you opt for the extended warranty in most cases, but no, Honda does not offer this alone when buying their cars. Best to have AAA or some other Auto club membership that maybe cheaper. Mine from AAA is about $80.00 per year
  • galileo5galileo5 Posts: 10
    Doesn't your insurance offer roadside assistance? Mine does for one-dollar extra. I have Progressive.
  • ggg8ggg8 Posts: 1
    mpg drops about 30% to upper 20's with AC on (ECO mode or not), so if you live where it's hot don't expect good mileage in summer. In ECO mode AC shuts off at a full stop so if you are in stop and go traffic ECO mode is pretty uncomfortable in warm climate.

I have April 2010 EX with 1000 mi now in Hawaii.
  • rookie60rookie60 Posts: 39
    Not sure what you mean about "30% to upper 20's with AC on". My Insight has been averaging 45-46 since June 19. Mostly the air is on. This is whether I drive the car or my wife drives the car. The Insight is not a fancy car but the mileage has been 44-46 since we picked it up on June 19.
  • If you do not drive longer distances, such as 5 mile one way or more, the car may not be warmed up enough to give you better gas mileage with or without the air on.

I test drove my Insight driving an 8 to 9 mile round trip in the City and averaged about 44/46 mpg.

Drove only 1/2 mile up and 1/2 mile back from the store, or bank for a months time and averaged about 29 miles per gallon with the air on. See the big difference ? Ambient temps, how far one drives, is the car warmed up enough, air on or off and how long those traffic lights are will play a big difference in your gas mileage. Not to mention if you dive it like you did with a non hybrid car. Fast and careless attitude so to speak.
  • pielev09pielev09 Posts: 6
    A Honda Insight LX wille allow you to drive on icy road in the Winter not the Prius 2010 because they forgot to include a (Vehicule Stability Control)VSC OFF button to disengaged the system so that when you go up a hill in Winter with the Prius 2010, your engine is turned off by the system. You are then stuck in the snow while standard forward traction cars pass you by. It happened to me after driving a 2008 Prius from March to Early December 08. I had to get rid of the Prius because of that. The Toyota Corolla 2010 has a VSC OFF button but the Japanese Engineers with their 1000 patents for the Prius 2010 forgot to include that one.
  • dweiserdweiser Posts: 288
    I'm afraid the article may be correct. I spoke with a dealer in Troy, NY and the Insight is a dead dog; i.e. no sales. I admit to owning one (shamefully) and I understand why. Buy the Prius if you must have a hybrid not this lame excuse. BIG mistake on my part to buy one.
    Keep your Insight because you will be able to use it in thw New York Winter.
    The Prius might be fine for LA and California but is woth nothing inthe slippy road in Winter because it does not have a VSC off button to disengaged the stability control which also controls the traction. I had a Prius 2008 and I had to get rid of it in December 2008 because on icy road the engine simply stop to avoid the front wheel from slippering . Th Insight LX does not have such a stupid system and on the EX you have a disengaging buton to cancel it and drive on icy road. :)
    Keep your Insight because you will be able to use it in the New York Winter.
    The Prius might be fine for LA and California but is worth nothing in the slippy road in Winter because it does not have a VSC off button to disengage the stability control which also controls the traction. I had a Prius 2008 and I had to get rid of it in December 2008 because on icy road the engine simply stopped to avoid the front wheel from slippering . The Insight LX does not have such a stupid system and on the EX you have a disengaging buton to cancel it and drive on icy road. :)
  • galileo5galileo5 Posts: 10
    I'm afraid the article may be correct. I spoke with a dealer in Troy, NY and the Insight is a dead dog; i.e. no sales. I admit to owning one (shamefully) and I understand why. Buy the Prius if you must have a hybrid not this lame excuse. BIG mistake on my part to buy one.

dweiser,

Why do you regret purchasing the Insight aside from a few negative reviews and poor sales?

I am assuming you did some research before buying the Insight. After all, buying a car is a pretty big investment. I don't understand why you're so disgruntled in the car on which you must have done some serious research before laying down the big cash.

I have the Insight, too, and I don't regret it. The car has been growing on me, and it's a nice feeling to have a unique hybrid with great mpg that isn't so commonplace.

Danny
  • franko1franko1 Posts: 15
    I also bought an insight in May 09 and now I'm concerned. I recently read many prius web sites and message boards and one article stood out that alarmed me. One car buff went to Japan to get reviews on hybrids and he met up with a honda executive and they discussed both hybrids. He said it appears Honda got blind sided by the prius msrp reduction, and the advanced hybrid technology, like no belt driven accessories and all disc brakes, plus many other features. He said the latest rumor is that Honda is accellerating the design and early production of the Fit hybrid (60mpg), by the fall of 2010. Also, they are selling Insights at a loss and as a result he feels that the insight2 production will be discontinued in late 2010. The latest consumer report says that their review of the insight is the most disappointing that C.R. has tested in a long time. Prius is selling 6 times more than the insight. Honda predicted they would sell 100K units in US sales, but now at current pace only 24K units may be sold. Our local dealer quit advertising insights in sunday paper. Sorry for the bad news.
    Who is that car buff? This posting is that of a Toyota fanatic to scare people away
    from the Insight. Honda will not let go at the Insight for a long while.The posting you read is a fake . Do not worry about it. I had to get rid of a Prius 2008 because it would not travel on Icy roads (the prolem is the same on the Prius 2010 and I am now buying and Insight because it has what is need for the Winter).
    I doubt Honda will dump the Insight. Funny how it was driven by "expert" auto journalists and they raved about the car and now it is crap. Maybe these "expert" journalists should be fired. I own an Insight. Yes, it is underpowered. No question. However, it is giving me 44-46 mpg. That is why I bought it. People don't realize what 44-46 mpg is. My old Mazda6 got 22-23 mpg. I am putting in HALF the gas now. I got the extended warranty for 8 years/120 miles for $1k. Therefore, I don't worry about "hybrid" repairs. The Insight is a commuter car not a racecar. It is not dead in the water with me.

P.S.: The car only has 2,000 miles on it. I expect the mileage to improve after I get 3,000-5,000 miles on it.
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Posts: 936
    Loved that PS...great SOH.
    BTW, I have to ask you...a Prius gets even better MPG, and costs just a little bit more if your Insight is the EX.(Who would get one without cruise control?)...so why the Honda over the proven excellence of the Prius?
    Love the Prius looks. Great car. Almost bought one. However, the killer was the dash. Stupid speedo. IMHO.