Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Got a Quick Question for a Car Dealer?

1104105106107108110»

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,043
    It's a crap shoot buying out of Florida. The luxury car might be priced more attractively, but if you intend to fly there and drive back, or hire an inspector to look the car over and then ship it back, that's probably a couple thousand bucks you should add to the price.

Also, any car that has been exposed to East coast winters or to salt air, or to flooding conditions, needs a very close examination.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• yes, most likely the shipping would negate a lot of the savings, but it might be possible for me to still save from the outrageous prices here. even socal is much cheaper than here, i guess just due to the sheer volume of cars down there.

and in regards to winter exposure, yeah if i see a history that has northeastern or upper midwest states i usually shy away. unfortunately one of the cars at top of my list is 08 Audi 2.0t Quattro which you see a lot of in these states. is rust as big an issue with modern cars? i have heard it isn't, but being in CA what the hell do i know??? ha
    "Asking prices" are meaningless. You shouldn't be discouraged by the mere bravado of asking prices. Bring cash, grind 'em down.

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,854
    is rust as big an issue with modern cars?

Rust isn't really a big issue in the northeast. Better corrosion protection almost ensures no rust for 10+ years.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,632
    well, going from CA to FLA is of course to the extreme. I was thinking more like drawing a circle for a day trip. As he noted, So Cal is certainly easy to do. Maybe north of San Fran?

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,179
    I think you'd be crazy to not buy a car in California... As Shifty mentions, asking prices are just "free speech"...

Out here in the salt belt, we all want California cars..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Exactly. If, in fact, California cars bring a premium price---think about that--there's a reason for it.

My MINI came out of Michigan, and years later, I'm still occasionally bedeviled by rusted bolts during repair work.

• ohenryxohenryx Posts: 285
    When I was a kid, it was the "Arizona cars" that everyone wanted / searched for. Especially on the "antiques", which was only 20 years old back then. Today, there are many 20 year old cars still being used as daily drivers. Which was really rare back in 1960.
    I think the term "Arizona cars" was all about lack of rust due to the dry climate, but now I think the term "California car" implies not only lack of rust, but better roads, more freeway driving, less harsh climatic damage overall.

• ..."Asking prices" are meaningless. You shouldn't be discouraged by the mere bravado of asking prices. Bring cash, grind 'em down...

Agreed, but grinding sellers down from an asking price of $20K here in CA versus $15K elsewhere is still going to leave you with a higher out the door price.
    True, true but while every new car is the same, every used car is different, (in terms of condition), so it's hard to say what is the "better buy".

To exaggerate a little---a $15000 car in Maryland that needs tires and a timing belt change, if you include the shipping, is the equivalent of an $18,000 car in California that has good tires and doesn't need a timing belt.

• verdugoverdugo Posts: 2,012
    "well, going from CA to FLA is of course to the extreme. I was thinking more like drawing a circle for a day trip. As he noted, So Cal is certainly easy to do. Maybe north of San Fran? "

Sacramento is a no-brainer. But you should look farther east. Reno is still withi a day's drive.
    I think there are bargains to be had in the Sacramento Valley, you know, Modesto, Fresno, that area.

• Yes I agree that prices trend lower in the Sac and San Joaquin vallleys from what I see. They also have CarMax there for increased competition and we don't have CarMax in the Bay Area....yet.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,680
    Have been there a few times lately and yesterday they gave me a trade figure of $7k for a '06 Civic LX with 47k on the clock and a few scrapes on the rear bumper due to the garage door. looked on KBB.com and that price is for a "fair" vehicle though I think it's more of a "good" condition right now...it cleans up real nice actually and the front seats have had covers on them since day 1. They have a price of $7850 for "good" condition. Understand though why Carmax gave me such a low number as the market is flooded with Civics so plan to either sell it privately or just keep it another year or two. Will have to price it there and also look at some other sites to see what to ask for it. Thinking $10k asking and take anyone with cash that offers $9k...don't want to be to greedy here. The car drives perfectly and there's no need to swap vehicles, it's just that I'd love something a bit more lux!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch