Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Got a Quick Question for a Car Dealer?

Comments

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,174
    chicken and egg situation.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,150
    you just said it yourself, though .... small percentage of buyers.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• bcd1979bcd1979 Posts: 5
    edited April 2011
    I checked with Hyundai USA and they said that the 2011 Manual Elantra's are going to be production from May 2011, after which , they will be routed to dealers.
    I guess the ones that are currently in country might be coming from Korean plant.
    this probably explains why there are very few and dealers are not willing to commit to a factory order
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,685
    No I don't think thats a chicken/egg situation.

Its rare because its a hard car to sell as not many people looking for that type of car want a stick. The fact that many people who want that type of car in a stick are few is in no way dependent on the rareity of the car.

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

• texasestexases Posts: 5,511
    If that's the case (they aren't in production yet) then I would do nothing until they are showing up on dealers' lots. There's no way you'll negotiate a good price now - vehicles in short/zero supply don't get discounted.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,610
    That would NOT be a "profoundly easy" car to sell. It would be a nightmare!

As a used car it would be even harder to sell. It's a Hyundai with a stick!

You are right, it's, indeed, a VERY small percentage of drivers who want sticks in that type of a car and that percentage keeps getting smaller.

DO NOT do anything without a written Purchase Order!!! The others have given good advise!
  • caolcaol Posts: 1
    edited May 2011
    I am in the Military and I currently received orders to deploy and I have a baby on the way. My Wife and I would like for her to stay home instead of paying for daycare. She also will not get any paid time off after having the baby. Selling the car looked like the best solution as it will sit in a lot any ways. I have a 2006 Honda accord LX 4d Sedan. Auto trader and KBB show we would have to pay at least 4k for a dealership to take it. I have tried looking to many options such as the soldier sailor act; sadly it does not apply for this situation. Even if someone take over payments that still leave me at fault if they miss any.

Are there any solutions that could work in selling the car?
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,174
    clean. later model Hondas tend to be a very easy sell privately, and for well more than what a dealer will give you in trade. especially with high gas prices!

post all the details over on the "real world trade in value" thread, and you should get a pretty good idea about what a trade in and private sale would likely be.

but, if you would have to come up with Many thousands to get out of it, could be better to let it sit (I assume your wife has a different car? Any chance you could sell that one instead?)

Not sure you could even do a formal take over payments (only ever saw that on a lease), and if you are deployed, I would certainly not recommend you being a landlord to it!

good luck, and stay safe.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• jhs70jhs70 Posts: 213
    Pilot EX-L 4x4 with NAV. Equinox LTZ AWD. Both great cars. I just cannot make up my mind. Each brings something a bit different to the table. Both have their detractors. Does anyone have any opinion on these cars? I can get an OTD deal on a pilot that is about a grand less than for a comparably (or maybe just a bit more) equipped Equinox. Resale is probably better on the pilot. I need to do some towing, so the pilot gets the nod there. I actually think the equinox is better styled, but the pilot is fine looking - and way better than it used to look. Not sure when they will restyle it again. I could go on and on, but i would rather hear from you all. Thank you for your time and advice.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,150
    edited June 2011
    personally I think the first gen Pilot was way better looking .... but that's neither here nor there.

Resale on the Pilot isn't just a bit better, it is WAY better (just a cursory look shows an '09 Equinox LTZ at $20,500 while an '09 Pilot EXL at $27,500). If I'm getting the Pilot cheaper to begin with, it is no contest for me.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

I'm not sure that's a valid comparison. The 09 equinox is nothing like the newer versions, whereas the newer pilots simply got an updated look. I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere about the both of them. but not positive. I guess at the core of this is that I suspect American cars are of much higher overall quality, but I know that Japanese cars are (I've got four of them and they are all absolutely trouble free). All you have to do is ask around. However that paradigm may be shifting.
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,328
    One vote for the Pilot here.
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    A Honda vs. a GM? For less when comparably equipped?

I vote for the Pilot.
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,232
    Honda must be pushing some amazing deals on the Pilot.

EX-L 4WD w/Navi MSRP is $38,680 inc. dest.
    Equinoz LTZ AWD 3.0L w/Navi MSRP is $35,675 inc. dest.
    I have no idea why i'm getting the crazy honda prices that i am, but i'm getting them from several sources. Yet some Honda dealers will not even talk to me because they say they're inventory is so limited they are only dealing with their tried and true customers (Browns Honda City in Glen Burnie, MD). It seems the chevy folks, after YEARS of being abused, now find themselves with a decent product and are in NO MOOD to negotiate. What goes around has seemingly come around for them. At lease where I live.
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,232
    Well, I'll say that though the Equinox was on my short-list in late '09 when I bought, given the deals you're seeing I'd say go with the Pilot.

I don't track their sales but I'm wondering if the CR-V and Crosstour are eating into Pilot sales, making the dealers more tempted to bargain.
  • jgsavesjgsaves Posts: 4
    I have a 2008 Hyundai Sonata with 91k on it. I bought it from a Toyota dealership and got the Platinum Continuous Customer Care Agreement which expires after 100,000 miles or after 4/17/2013. It is transferable.

My question is this- if I know that we will be trading this car in within the next 2 years, is it of more value to a dealership while it is still under warranty? Should I be able to get a higher trade-in value if I do it before the warranty expires? ...or does it not matter at all?

Thanks for the help!
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Posts: 4,883
    A warranty like yours can't be transferred to a dealer, only on a private sale.
  • Do new car sales matter much to a car dealer? I heard they barely make any money on new cars. Service and used cars are far more profitable than new car sales. Why do car dealers still have new cars on the lot and dont just go completely online?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,420
    I think it's easier to pack the deal in person than online.