Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A4 Ignition Coil Problems

Comments

• Seems like VW and Audi still has a design defect if these coils are going bad in other year models and before 100,000 miles. Generally speaking for all car manufacturers, there is an individual coil for each cylinder mounted directly on top of the spark plug. This design completely eliminates the high tension spark plug wires for even better reliability. Most of these systems are designed to last over 100,000 miles, which cuts down on maintenance costs. I have an '04 A4 Quattro 1.8L Turbo and one of my coils shorted out and my car sputtered and check engine light flashed just like everyone else is saying. This happened at 62,000. The labor was covered under warranty to replace all of them, but I had to pay for the parts which was around $36 each coil. Including the towing, it was a $357 total...this after I had just had it in for 60k service last week. I think it is a good idea for car owners to chat and compare - so thanks to anyone who takes the time to do this. This might be the only way we can keep the manufacturers in check.
  • jkm808jkm808 Posts: 1
    First off--thanks to everyone who posted their experiences here. It's been helpful in understanding my situation with 2005 A4 1.8T. In my continued research I discovered that Audi has announced a voluntary recall of some 2001-2007 Audis for ignition coil issues. The great news for many of you is that you may be able to recoup the money you've spent on replacing coils if your vehicle is one of the affected models! :shades: Here are all the details: http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/owners/main/recalls_campaigns/ignition_coil/a- ffected_vehicles.html#source=http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/owners/main/reca- lls_campaigns/ignition_coil.html&container=page
  • Hey, I've been in the other forum for Maint and Repairs. Just saw this thread here. My 4th coil pack in ten months failed yesterday; took my Audi in today (A4 2005 1.8 Quattro). Yes, I was told there is a recall pending for my Audi. And they have an "exception" to do the fix in advance if people come in w/ failed coils. So, allegedly, they replaced all my suspect coils under the original warranty, long since expired. Nothing out of pocket. Woo Hoo! (As a rule of thumb, if a certain car part gets its own discussion thread on Edmunds, they should probably issue a recall.) ;)

:shades:
  • I just got a notice that I am suppose to take my car in for an ignition coil inspection two days before I am going on a road trip. My local audi dealer knows nothing about it and says don't worry about it. Have any Q7 owners had ignition coils fail yet?
  • Ok there is a re-call on the ignition coils for fost of all A4's . Free of charge.
  • This could be a really stupid question, but is it okay to drive once this ignition coil problem has reared its ugly head? I was 5 minutes on the road in my A4 today and it became hard to shift and the engine felt like it was seizing. I pulled over and the car was running very rough in neutral. The engine light came on. My question is if it's bad for the car to drive it to the dealership, or if it's better to have it towed. :confuse: Thanks for all the helpful info in this forum. I was afraid there was something terribly wrong, but this seems to be a common issue (hence the recall). Thanks!
  • bmlexusbmlexus Posts: 755
    Are there still problems in new A4s? For the first time ever I took interest in an Audi, and in an A4, and I read these things :blush:
  • Aldi is now making a recall and will fix the ignition coil problem or reimburse you if you had the fixed already.
  • I want to buy a used Audi.I have owned Nissan ,ford ect..I am a Vehicle tech in the Forces. What is up with the coil proplem that I keep reading? I have had only one coil go on a car in my whole life and I am 50.Why do the coils fail every few months on the A 4, I want to buy 2002-2006?Can you buy a coil that will last for years?It still does not make sence?
  • mm2010mm2010 Posts: 1
    I bought a used 2006 A4 with about 25,000 miles on it. As soon as the warranty finished I have had problems with the first being the intake camshaft. Supposedly it was manufactured with a soft metal and wears over time and impacts the fuel pump and the pressure. Costly repair!! Once it was repaired the vehicle ran rough and the engine light came on and then started flashing. At first the dealer thought it was the coil but it took a few days to figure out the real problem...valve problems that cause the misfiring. Cost to repair quoted at $5,000!!!
    This was my first Audi and will be my last. Every car manufacturer has issues but the real test is how the manufacturer deals with the issues and their attitude. Audi's attitude is that it is your problem to figure out and they avoid dealing with you. And to add insult to injury the dealerships have the same attitude... like they are doing you a favor by servicing your vehicle. Give me a break!!
    I am done with Audi. I will go back to BMW.
  • Sharing here my recent repair/service experience:

Took my 2005+ Audi A4 in for its 55,000 mile service and got back a report that the dealer needed to replace crankcase hoses and valves since they were coming apart. This dealer job on just the hoses/valves came to near $650.

They also performed a brake fluid flush which evidently isn't part of the 55,000 service. Not sure when this should have been done - as I have my service always done at the dealer.

Now I need to go back to the dealer next week since that center Audi emblem piece on one wheel came off while driving after the service yesterday. Seems that some repair folks don't put the wheel back on correctly and damage the clips holding on that center wheel piece.
  • bjbrooksbjbrooks Posts: 11
    Over the past few years I had over $1200 worth of work done for faulty ignition coils (2002 1.8T Quattro-5 spd). I was also driving on a bad cat con for a few years until I could afford to get it replaced. A new mechanic told me that the cat con issue was related to the faulty ignition coils. Has anyone else had that problem? Audi did not mention this (of course) in their reimbursement initiative, but I think it is worth looking into. The cat con work also cost me over $1200. The upkeep on these Audis is astronomical. I don't want to keep paying them for their bad parts.
  • marevicmarevic Posts: 1
    I bought a used audi A4 2006 with about 40k on it. It was Audi certified so it came with the 6yr/100k warranty. THANK GOD!!! Because this piece of s*** that I had for exactly 1 year now has been in the shop 9 times and I spent more time in a loaner than my actual car. First it was the valve problems that caused misfiring....this took their certified idiot technicians 4 trips back to the service for them to figure it out because problem just kept coming back. Then I took it in for normal 10k service, and right after that I smelled the oil burn. I was like ok this is normal right after they changed it, but month later I could still smell it and the low oil came on. Took it in..they kept it overnight called me next day say it's normal because where filters are in this car and with the turbo engine. Then 3 weeks later low oil came back on. I went back and screamed, and pretty much told them to keep it until the fix the s***. Well, the gasket ended up being replaced cuz it had a leak.

THen I had electrical problems that took 2 trips to the service to figure it out, and then just today, coil issue. The electric power control was just jacked, wouldnt pick up on the speed, blah blah. I call them, they say, oh yeah, Audi issued a service call to have all coils replaced. WTF? And then in 2000 miles I'm gonna have to take it in for the next 10k service? NOT!!!! The moment this piece of s*** is fixed, I am trading it in and getting another car. NEVER AUDI AGAIN!!!
  • eyateseyates Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Audi A4 Wagon 1.8L with 95,000 miles on it. I was recently driving 2 hours to DC at about 65-70 mph and about 1.5 hours into the drive my car started shaking like I was on the rumble strips (but not). I quickly looked down at my gauges and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. All of the sudden my check engine light started flashing so I pulled over to the side of the highway and turned the car off. I got out of the car and looked under the hood, nothing seemed amiss there either. Tried to turn my car back on and it sounded like a rough idle with the car shaking a little. Turned it off and had it towed to an Audi dealership. The mechanic said he thought it sounded like a bad ignition coil, but then called back to say there isn't anything wrong with any of the coils but he couldn't figure otu what was wrong with the car.... anyone have any similar experience??
    An Audi deaership mechanic who "couldn't figure out" what the problem was??? I'm not buying that. It sounds EXACTLY like the problem I had over and over and over w/ ignition coils. Take it to a different dealer. Be careful -- an independent mechanic told me the problem w/ ignition coils probably led to my cat con problem, but Audi will not admit it. I'd bet money your issue is ignition coils, and I would be very leery of an Audi mechanic who would say he could not figure out the problem.
  • majsprmajspr Posts: 1
    Check out the following Audi Ignition Coil Service Campaign
    http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/owners/main/recalls_campaigns.html
    Hope this will help!
  • gapch1gapch1 Posts: 2
    My Audi currently is in the shop getting a new cat converter and 6 new ignition coils so yes, I have had the same issue. I become more and more disappointed with my Audi each day. I've only owned it 6 months (it's a 2004) and it's been in the shop 3 times, all separate issues!
    I have spent at least $15k on my car, many unrelated issues. Twice I had the windshield wiper motor replaced at nearly $500 each time. I am throwing good money after bad, but I now have a good, trustworthy mechanic. the only reason I keep it is beccause I really want to try to get my money out of it. I would never buy another one. Audi sucks.
  • I am having the same issue... I am bringing my Audi A4 06 in for the 3rd time in a month to resolve the "ignition" coils. They replaced them through the recall first (and this was my 3rd set of coils) and a week later, the check engine light came on. Brought it back to the shop and they told me it wasn't the coils, and they would need some time to figure it out. They added some "additives" to the gas and said this would fix the problem. Well, 3-4 days later, the check engine light back on. Finally have the time to bring it back in... and they swear up and down it's not the IC, but the computer is reading it as an IC problem.
    Does this sound right? Is there another problem that would cause the same symptoms as ICs (rough idling, shaky accelerations sometimes)?
    I am not a mechanic, but I find it hard to believe that it could be anything else. You probably need to find a good non-dealer mechanic who has the diagnostic tools to find your problem. That is a sticky situation, because I do not trust Audi dealers in this, but it is in their best interest to replace the coils. Also, watch out for much more expensive catalytic converter issues related to the IC. Audi is not paying for that now -- I paid $1200 for the cat con replacement! I still am having a hard time with Audi dealers who cannot figure out the problem. You need to be talking to headquarters.