Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Older Grand Prix Maintenance and Repair (1999 and earlier)

2»

Comments

• crochunter06crochunter06 Posts: 2
    edited December 2011
    I'm looking into possibly buying a 1994 Pontiac Grand Prix SE Sedan and the seller listed that everything is in good working condition and everything runs good. The only fault I've seen (so far at least) is that they said the head gasket needs to be replaced.. Now my question is does anyone know around how much that repair would be? Or does anyone have a guestimate as to prices? Thanks!
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    Before you buy the car, you need to be sure that no anti-freeze leaked into the engine oil. If so, serious damage could be done to the engine. If the engine oil is a milky color, then the anti-freeze has leaked into the oil. Generally, with GM's gasket failures (V6 engines) the leak is external and there is no internal engine damage if repaired promptly after discovery.

Also, note the 94 model year is pre-DexCool, which means it takes the old green colored antifreeze (not the pink stuff).

As for price, my guess would be about $500 (parts and labor). You need to find a reputable repair shop and not just shop on price alone. For example, the engine surfaces must be cleaned properly otherwise the leak will develop again in a short time.

I recently purchased a 1994 Grand Prix (August 2011) with 125k miles. Engine is peppy and gas mileage is quite good for this vintage of vehicle. With the exception of the gasket problems, GM's V6 OHV engines are quite reliable and can go for 200 to 300k miles with just regular maintenance. Good luck.
  • Im not sure bout a 94 but i just replaced the head gaskets on my 02'. If the 94 set up is anything like the 02' $500 might get u half way. I also had a leaking intake gasket so after i had gone down that far wasn't much to just take the head off and do that also. After i had it all back together head was still leaking. While i had the head off checked for warp and noticed a lil but thought it was within specs. Turns out it was not : ( So being very frustrated and not wanting to go through this process again I decided to do something that I would never otherwise attempted, especially for a warped head. I used an additive to seal the head. The 1 I chose was "Blue Devil" and I can honestly say that it is GREAT stuff. It cost $65 a quart but compared to repair costs its nothing besides you only need 1. Followed directions on bottle and within minutes my temp dropped and my heat came back. It is an all liquid additive so nothing to clog cooling system and will seal all cooling system leaks. although I can only attest to the head.

As far as coolant getting in the oil goes. Yes it CAN cause serious damage but as long as the engine is not locked up chances are good it didn't hurt it to bad if it is present. Just make sure to change oil before start and again after about 1000 miles to flush all that coolant out.
  • i own a 1994 Pontiac Grand Prix and i have spent $40 dollars on my gasket. I am also looking to sell my car for $2500 it is in excellent condition.
  • autobody21autobody21 Posts: 1
    I have the same car in the same condition. I have asked several mechanics and every time I was given a price tag of $1,500 to $1,600 to repair. I was told to have both gaskets replaced while having the one replaced.
    I looked into just the parts only and I can do it myself for about $50 bucks. I can order an entire gasket kit for $161. So if you are knowledgeable or know someone who is and can help you with the repair, then that’s your better option! I plan on tackling it with a buddy who has some experience in the subject matter. In the end, if nothing else arises, I will end up putting no more than $300 in to the repair, plus my time. I say $300 because I need a new battery and want to do some cosmetic work. Compared to $1,600 I’d take my chances and learn something new in the process.
  • I have a 97 3800. it is doing the same thing. i talked to a guy seemed to know what he was talking about, the intake gasket needs to be replaced. he said you have a leak into the system creating a air pocket. i havent went into it yet to figure it out, if you have message me back please.
  • sweetascandysweetascandy Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    i have a 1997 3800 it only over heats when you have to sit still, like at a red light,,i have had it in the shop twice, and no one seems to be able to tell me what is going on, and the hotter it gets outside the worse it gets, if anyone could help,,, the fans come on and seem to be working right.
2»