Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Tribute Start Stall Idle Problems

i having trouble with my mazda this morning i was almost out of gas but it stall and when i went to start it back it would only click it wouldn't do anything else. got any suggestion what could be wrong with it. please let me know asap. thanks

Comments

• Been reading alot about idle problems with cold starts and the possible causes from bad IACV's to leaking intake gaskets. Never had problems with my Tribute until a few months ago when starting it cold, the engine started to lope like it was starved for gas. Gave it gas by keeping foot down on the pedal a bit to keep the idle up and once the vehicle warmed up, everything was fine. I have never had a check engine light come on nor had any warning about a part failing, etc. I have since taken the IACV off and cleaned the inside but it is very difficut if not impossible to clean the inside of the solenoid housing as only the piston comes through the opening. The results were only slightly better but still have the problem. The vehicle has approximately 80,000 miles on it and normally runs just fine except for this issue on cold starts. Any suggestions or help anyone could offer would be appreciated.
  • Hi, after I replaced the Spark Plug and PCV valve on my 2001 Mazda Tribute V6 the idle became rough as if it is going to die. I replaced the old spark plugs with Bosch Platinum +4 and a PCV valve I purchaced from Auto Zone. Should I not be using this kind of spark plug? Or is their anything that needs adjustment? Please advice. I will greatly appreciate your suggestions and advice. Thanks.
  • I have a 2001 V6 Tribute with 180,000 miles. I have been chasing this problem since last fall. I have changed the IACV, spark plugs, fuel filter, have tried several different fuel system cleaners and have searched for vacuum leaks. I have not found any solution. Have you had any luck lately?
  • Hi,

I'm having the exact same problem so I was wondering if you found a solution yet. My dealer changed the battery, alternator, and fuel pump and nothing has solved it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
  • I have not found a solution yet. I have found another person local to me having the same problem with a Ford Escape.
  • sgersger Posts: 2
    HI just wondering if anyone had this problem, tribute 06 2 wd 2.3l after a cold start i press on the gas pedal and ...nothing. after 30 secs everyting fine

thxs
  • I had the same issue; car is just under 100k miles and had this issue for about 4 months. Mechanic found that the intake manifold gasket was leaking. Replaced upper and lower intake gaskets and problem nwas fixed. Cost was about $50 in parts and $180 in labor.
  • sgersger Posts: 2
    thank you ! for the info. gerry :)
  • Thanks for the information. I replaced my upper and lower intake manifold gaskets a week ago and have not had any idle problems since. The lower gaskets were really bad and most likely 3 out of the six were leaking.
  • Just an FYI;
    Had a problem over a year ago on my 02 Tribute (V6 ES) and paid the diag fee and another $180.00 or so to replace the idle control valve. Part was + $40.00 at the dealer versus AutoZone. The problem comes back now an then and the idle can float to 1500 or more, sometimes not coming down. I have a month or more left on the 1 year warranty for the work they did and do not wish to pay a 2nd diag fee since the first did not solve the problem. We'll see how it all works out. I'm worried if the idle creeps up to 1000 or 1200 and my wife or kids are driving, they may put it in gear ... ouch !!
  • had the spark plugs checked, the coils checked and boots replaced and the mechanic told me it might be the computer sensor is not being read.. take it to the dealer for a diagnostic. At the dealer, someone mentioned it could be the catalytic converter needs to be changed. He just drove it and parked it in the lot. I'm waiting on the diagnostic test tomorrow, however, initially the mechanic that looked at it thought I needed the engine coils replaced. The first mechanic replaced the coils and the engine still didn't work. So, I'll see how the diagnostic report reads tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone has a similar problem. It is a 2001 Mazda Tribute 4wd which I don't use 4wd.
  • Per your title no acceleration / shaking;

I had a very similar issue with a Jeep about 3-4 years ago.. turned out the cat was shot and plugged up. It finally blew the stuff out and since then, the exhaust sounded different. Eventually I had the system re-done but prior, the thing almost wouldn't run and had a severe loss of power until the bb's burned or blew out. This could be a simple and inexpensive fix if you end up with the same diagnosis.
  • So would the simple fix be to just change the two cats they say are blown.
  • bachmanbachman Posts: 31
    The two ways I look at this kind of thing are;

a) if it's me doing the guess work by trial and error, I start with the simpler and less expensive things and work up from there. Take the cats off and eliminate that issue yourself. You can temp run the thing with just a muffler and see if the engine runs ok as a short term test. Then you'll know if there are other factors or not.

b) where ever possible, I trust a shop to do the diagnosis for me. They have specific equip to check things. This way they are accountable to the fix and warranty as well as a mis diagnosis that replaces the wrong items that I would not feel the need to pay for.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm dodging your question but a shop doing a few basic checks related to the symptoms you describe should be fairly cut and dry. I'd think 2 cats and the system back (mufflers tailpipes) and labor is going to cost upwards of $400.00. Be sure you give the shop as much info about the way the vehicle started acting up and when.... often the right choice of words and some basic patterns can really give them a lot more to go on. Post back what you end up with when all is said and done !
  • racenutracenut Posts: 10
    when my tribute first starts in morning it will race to 2800 rpm and slowly creep down to a normal high idle and then on to normal idle. If I just turn the key on and wait about ten seconds it wil run up to 2200 rpm still a might high. I can`t find the problem. No Codes are shown or stored.
    I wish I knew something more about what to tell you ... yours sounds similar too my problem yet undiagnosed but thought to be the idle control valve that was replaced a year ago. I have a re-do appt in a few weeks and will hope to post what the fix is but I will need to give it the test of time first since it was almost always intermittent.
  • deepsky1deepsky1 Posts: 3
    2001 Tribute DX 4 cyl, 5speed manual, 122,000 miles. If I turn off/on the motor too many times in a given time period, it stalls at idle. Letting it sit awhile helps sometimes. Fuel filter replaced no luck. Any suggestion greatly appreciated.
    I'm following up because your message tagged mine. Now that my problem is solved (it was not the idle control valve as they thought, I paid for parts/labor and the diagnosis fee). It was an electrical connection they had to trace down. It was causing erractic idle speed and usually too high of rpm's. If I were more assertive and the time frame wasn't so long, I'd have refused to pay the second service fees since it was about the same as the first cost and they ahd not fixed the problem.

Have your dealer do the code check and follow that path down to the fix with the understanding ahead of time that you will hold them to it. It will be a total of the diagnosis fee and the parts/labor. If they dont' get it right the first time, they will have to use your fees paid as credit toward the new fix ... should it go beyond the previous price you already paid. Mine was a wash ...around 180 to 200 $$.
    Then go out and test it as much as you can to be sure they solved it. My problem was so intermittent that it was hard to know if / when it was fixed.
  • Hi brayofsunshine1@yahoo.com. I recently bought a 2001 Mazda Tribute with a 145,000mi that acts up only when it's cold, and then after about 5 to 10 mins the vehicle runs perfectly fine. I've read similar stories of people claiming to have a loping idle on cold starts, and like most owners, I've replaced, sparks plugs, air filter, and used injector cleaners with no positive outcome. Could anyone whose had a similar experience help me eliminate this problem that has no engine light warning. Thank you.
  • I had the same problem with my 2001 Tribute. My solution was replacing the lower intake manifold gaskets. After doing so my idle problem stopped.