Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Article Comments - 2010 Mercedes-Benz S400 Hybrid First Drive

It might look like an ordinary S-Class, but make no mistake, because the 2010 Mercedes-Benz S400 BlueHybrid represents a major step in the development of the hybrid luxury car.

2010 Mercedes-Benz S400 Hybrid First Drive

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

Comments

• There is nothing new or revolutionary about this technology. As the article points out, this is the same concept as the Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,680
    It is a large luxury car to compete with the LS600h that only gets 21 MPG. So I would say it will win the prize at 30 MPG. The Lexus is a joke. Mercedes would be better off selling us a diesel blutec in the S class.
  • From TFA:
    ...with a new nickel/cobalt/aluminum chemical process that is claimed to provide significant efficiency and energy density gains over the nickel-metal hydride batteries that are used in just about every existing hybrid on the market today.
  • You forgot that the LS600Lh has way more horsepower at 438 and All Wheel Drive. This Mercedes hybrid can't even compete with the GS450h at 340 horsepower that gets about 24-26 mpg. Lexus' hybrid technology is way ahead!
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    How did they manage to make an electric motor and battery pack turn into a "negligible weight increase"???

MB should stick to diesel. Hybrids are a silly, inelegant band-aid.
  • Wouldn't a S320 Bluetech actually make more sense? Well, they have it in the EU, but it's mileage, combined cycle, is better and it costs less. I'd bet the actual manufacturing cost is significantly less on the diesel, and now that diesel is less expensive than 87 octane, $.43/gallon where I live, the hybrid just doesn't make much sense.

If you mostly did city driving, or it was a plugin, then maybe. But I'm a diesel fan anyway, so maybe I'm biased.