Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Article Comments - 2009 Subaru Forester Diesel First Drive

Ordinarily, the only reason to go to Velden am Wörther See, Austria, is to luxuriate in one of the opulent hotels lining the lakeside, and stamina permitting, paddle out a bit in a solid teak rowboat. But today our attention turns to the highly practical matter of the 2009 Subaru Forester 2.0D — you know, the Subaru Forester Diesel.

2009 Subaru Forester Diesel First Drive

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I wonder if that's just a pre-production, the notchiness in the shifter.

30 lbs over the XT means it's 130 lbs heavier than my non-turbo gas model.

Electric PS is more efficient, but I agree they're often numb.

Love that the 6 ratios will make it over here soon, even though we got an automatic. The WRX should get that, too.
  • I would buy one today if it were available in the US.. It would be the perfect vehicle for me an my family of four. Lots of room for the four of us plus the dogs. Hope the remark about legal concerns limiting towing capacity to less than the european version aren't true. 4500 LBS would be great. I for one hope they don't develop an automatic compatible with the diesel so they will be forced to offer the 6M tranny here. I was just waiting for the "new" factor of the 09 to wear off and dealers to start dealing to buy one. Now I will wait and see if the Diesel makes it's way here. I think they would sell like hotcakes with no comparable vehicle in it's price range. AWD and 36mpg, where do I sign?
  • Man, sign me up now!!!! I drive 100+ miles a day for work. This would be the ultimate vehicle for me. I have a 2009 Outback 2.5i Limited now. I would be SUPER HAPPY to add this to my stable!!!! Plus I think it is good looking!
    ;)
  • gmginsfogmginsfo San Diego, CAPosts: 113
    KC, Your buying strategy mirrors my own, and I hope they Americanize* the Diesel sooner rather than later, which in my case means before my odo runs from 75K to 100K or 2010 arrives, whichever occurs first.
    Over here in Potomac, MD. :(

This kills even a 30-40% advantage in efficiency.

Why is diesel taxed so heavily? This is crazy. Gas is under $2 and around me diesel is over $3 now.
  • Ok, I'm tired of waiting and reading every scrap of information about the Forester Diesel and when it will be released in the United States! I really want one, so I'm taking matters into my own hands. I've created a survey to take a count of how may people want one and a little information about their Subaru experiences and buying intentions. I'll forward every single survey via email to a Subaru contact I've got. Hopefully, they'll see enough demand through this effort to move them ahead with the release, just in case.

Click below to take the survey. Afterward, you'll get an email with results links you can click on.

http://www.logicdepot.com/surveys/run/start.cfm?skey=2CYCR-11GMK

Thanks!

Scott Wellman
  • aathertonaatherton Posts: 617
    edited February 2010
    The 2009 proposed changes to the EPA regulations for model years 2012 to 2016 are going into effect next month, and the CO2 and MPG regulations for 2016 force diesel out of the showroom. The 2016 MPG regulations are so high that diesel alone can't get there. Cars for MY 2016 are already in planning, and will be designed in 2011. Manufacturers have to switch to a whole new technological platform for these regulations. That platform will be hybrid gas-electric. And they have to begin designing hybrid into the platform now, not diesel.

For that reason, and the low demand for diesels in the US, the high cost of diesel fuel, and the popularity of their present gas models, Subaru has no incentive to bring their Boxer Diesel to the US. It is not worth supporting a new engine in this poor diesel market for so few years.
  • saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 679
    For that reason, and the low demand for diesels in the US, the high cost of diesel fuel, and the popularity of their present gas models, Subaru has no incentive to bring their Boxer Diesel to the US. It is not worth supporting a new engine in this poor diesel market for so few years

But the diesel block and cylinder heads might be useable for a small displacement gasoline direct injection model. That might speed the development of the next generation engine.
  • "... the diesel block and cylinder heads might be useable for a small displacement gasoline direct injection model. That might speed the development of the next generation engine."

True, but a little diesel hybrid is not the diesel that the diesel fans want. It would drive like a hybrid, not a diesel.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,269
    That's too bad. Hybrids are a transitional technology and as such I do not expect I will have one in my garage. I would have seriously considered a diesel, though.
    A simple diesel with auto shut-off may do the trick.
  • I currently own an 07 Prius. I like the gas mileage it is capable of, but it is boring to drive. I have owned 2 Subarus in the past. I like the AWD system on Subaru, but I do not like the gas mileage Subarus gets. I like the Jetta TDI but do not trust VW's reliability. A diesel Forester or Legacy would be very nice, Subaru reliability and diesel's good fuel economy.
    You may want to try out a Legacy 2.5i CVT.

EPA highway is 31mpg, and it does well in the real world, too. In Consumer Reports testing, it actually got better mileage than the Accord - 4 banger.