Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Various questions regarding the Mazda CX-9

2»

Comments

• tronbombtronbomb Member Posts: 7
    Ceric,

I just purchased 2010 GT AWD, is there a wiring harness for trailer connection pre-configured or do I have to install a product like t-connector? I looked underneath vehicle on rear passenger side and did not see any connector. Thought I found it, but it turned out to be a threaded connection for the tie-down I assume. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    Hi,
    Any 2010 AWD is "tow-preped", meaning, it has
    - heavier duty radiator (you could see two fan control modules - a silver box with heat sink on it - instead of one)
    - larger transmission cooler
    - ECU programming that is tuned for towing
    - (for 2010) pre-wiring
    The connector, I believe, can be found under the cargo tray. I have seen picture of it.
    If so, pulling it out to the hitch should be easy.

If you go to U-Haul, they can sell you a hitch and do the wiring (final stage) for you.
  • tronbombtronbomb Member Posts: 7
    Does that mean I cannot see the connector unless I remove the cargo tray? I looked underneath the rear of the vehicle and could see no such connector. With this connector, what additional wiring is left to do? I was hoping it was a simple matter of connecting up a 4-flat or round connector to the existing "tow-prep" wiring in the CX-9.

Thanks for all the help.......
    edited February 2010
  • njpathfinder28njpathfinder28 Member Posts: 16
    I just purchased a 2010 CX-9 (Touring version). I'm not sure why fog lamps were only available on the Grand Touring, but they were.

So here's my question. Has anyone installed the fog lamps using Mazda parts?

Is the wiring already in the car? The dealer told me it takes a couple of hours to install them, that doesn't seem like much time.
    Can't say about wiring, but you would need to remove the front bumper to install the fog lights. That takes a bit of time to do it perfectly.
  • njpathfinder28njpathfinder28 Member Posts: 16
    Thanks Ceric,

The head lights seem quite good on the CX9, so I'm not sure the fog lights would be worth the trouble to install.

One other question, "Do mud flaps help much on this car"? That's another thing I'm considering installing.
    Mud flaps?
    They are quite short in length so I am not too sure they work extremely well.
    However, they look great on CX9. ;)
  • sedmundsedmund Member Posts: 93
    In my 2007 CX9 GT, which has the smart key, to unlock and open the tail gate from outside I have to use my key fob/card. I can't walk up to rear and just press a button to unlock the tail gate (like I do to unlock the driver or passenger side door). Does anyone know if this is the same behavior in the 2010, now that they have a different key fob that looks identical to the Mazda6? Note that in Mazda6 you can walk up to the back of the car and just press a trunk release button on the trunk to unlock and open it, as long as you have the key fob with/on you.
    There is a touch pad on the right side of the hatch handle. It acts the same as the small dot on the door handles. You don't need to take the fob out of your pocket.
  • wdhytewdhyte Member Posts: 92
    Ceric my friend, you have just made 2 friends for life! Me and my wife. One of our biggest pet peeves has been all alone the lack of a button on the hatch to unlock/lock it like you can the doors. I never did find anything in the manual about it (not to say its not there of course) but I know even our salesman doesn't know about it (or at least both of us don't remember him knowing so). I did look before but I looked much closer to the latch mechanism and was looking for a little button...I never even noticed the rubber/bumped pad about a foot to the right of it! Anyway....thankyou thankyou THANKYOU. Its amazing how much of a PITA its been carrying 40# of dog food or whatever and having to fish thru pockets for the bloody fob. You da man ;) thanks again! Dave in TX
  • sedmundsedmund Member Posts: 93
    Thanks for your response. Good to know they have addressed this, this was one of the annoyances for us.

BTW, one more question: Is there really a factory installed option to have an USB audio interface (and/or iphone/ipod interface) in the 2010 CX9? The brochure on Mazda site mentions iPod integration but I have seen some postings leading to believe that this option is not available.

Thanks.
    It does exist.
    http://www.mazdaparts.org/mazda-cx9-ipod-module.html
    though I am not a iXXX user myself.

For '07-08 models, if you have Sat radio, the extra port is taken. You would need an extra switch box to allow a new access thru aux input or iXXX interface.

For '09-present, the switch box has been included from factory. ;)
    Glad to be of help.
    When I own a vehicle, I try to understand it inside and out.
    The sensor for the hatch is located below bumper (a rectaguler box - 1"x3"). Try to keep it clean. Otherwise, the sensitivity may go down a bit. (i.e. when it's covered by mud)
  • buyer101buyer101 Member Posts: 80
    1) Doors should lock automatically when the car is taken out of Neutral
    2) Headlights should turn on automatically based on light conditions (my 2000 Camry has that feature)

I am surprised that an otherwise excellent vehicle that touts itself in the "luxury" segment should have these basic features missing.

Aviboy97 - Any idea whether Mazda is contemplating on adding these to their lineup ?
    CX9 is not in the luxury segment.
    The GT may barely qualify, which does have auto-on headlight.

Auto-lock out of N gear? I don't think I want that in my vehicle.
    A simple electronic kit can take care of that (costing maybe less than $10 in parts).
    Think about the fact that your power-lock actuators will fail faster. That is extra bill to pay in the future. When you are in a bad neighborhood, flick the power lock switch.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    The CX-9 is available with auto headlights already. As for auto locking doors, it is a matter of personal preference and not considered a "luxury"feature. Mazda has not disclosed what changes there might be for the 2011's yet.

Mazda does not consider the CX-9 a "luxury" vehicle. It's the media that considers it a luxury alternative. :shades:
  • agbiggsagbiggs Member Posts: 19
    My wife and I are looking to replace our Ford Escape and one concern she has with a crossover vs a truck-based SUV is how high off the ground you sit -- she likes to be high up to see better. (Leave aside that the Escape is also car-based....) Is there any info available on how high up you sit in the Mazda (my current 1st choices) vs other crossovers or a truck-based SUV like the Ford Explorer? Thanks!
    CX9 is probably the lowest among all CUVs when it comes to seat height.
    Skip CX9.
  • agbiggsagbiggs Member Posts: 19
    Thanks. Here's how I guestimated it: on the specs for most cars they include both the total height and the front headroom. I subtracted headroom from the total height to produce the height at which you're sitting. This isn't quite right, since headroom is measured to the roof of the interior while height is to the exterior, but so long as there aren't huge differences in the thickness of the roof (due to moonroof, etc.) this should be a decent estimate.

The CX-9 came out a little higher than the Toyota Highlander and (importantly) a bit higher than the Ford Escape we're currently driving. But you're probably right that the CX-9 isn't high by big-SUV standards.

Andrew
    Andrew,
    You have to actually sit in the vehicles to compare.
    The seating positions of them are different. I am afraid that your formula could be misleading. The measurement of headroom, by itself, is not well-defined.

Go to an autoshow, and bring a ruler if you have to, to check out all vehicles that you are interested. No salesperson will bother you there.
  • richwoodrichwood Member Posts: 11
    edited October 2010
    Does anyone know where to buy in channel wind/rain deflectots for the 2010 CX9.Ive tried all the name brands and the Mazda site and am unable to locate any. Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks
    R Wood
  • davichodavicho Member Posts: 190
    Nobody makes them. I have been looking for them as well and I can only find the outside double-sided tape mounted ones which I do not want. I know Weathertech makes the in-channel type deflectors for many vehicles but not CX-9s. Maybe someone that lives near Downers Grove, Illinois can give Weathertech's R&D a call and if they approve, that someone can lend them their CX-9 as a guinea pig to fabricate some deflectors for our CX-9s
  • master_yoda3master_yoda3 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

My wife and I just got a Black CX-9 Sport over the weekend. Overall, like the car, but there are a couple of annoyances. First of all, it was my mistake for not noticing that Sport trim doesn't have auto headlights, so that's kind of a bummer. Our old chevy malibu has that option. Second when we shut off the car, the dome lights don't automatically turn on. They only turn on when we open the door(s)s. Do you guys know if there's a way to reprogram the car so that the headlights go off when the car is turned off without turning off the switch, as well as the dome light?

Thanks in advance.
    All CX9s have "auto-off" headlights. It shuts off in 30 secs.
    Only certain models have "auto-on" headlights (Touring, GT, for example).

No way to program the dome lights to turn off when ignition is off.
    It turns on when door is opened. Sorry. It is what it is.
  • davichodavicho Member Posts: 190
    Actually "auto-off" headlights are only on Touring models..."auto-off/on" are only on GT models. Sport models get none of the above, headlights are completely manunal operation.

I am not sure about the dome lights coming on when turning off the vehicle on Sport models, mine does do it but it is a Touring model. Sport models may not have this feature as well...sorry!
  • buyer101buyer101 Member Posts: 80
    That's correct. If you want both auto on and off feature, you need a GT. On a Touring you only get auto off. On Sport ...well.....

IMO, this is a feature that Mazda should have provided on all trim levels.
    edited October 2010
    Obviously I should not be too sure about my answers.
    After all, I own a GT.
    Auto-off, to me, is a great feature.
    I don't even use the auto-on feature.
    I like the auto-wiper, but auto-on headlights feature is not appreciated by me.

I used the auto-on for a while when I got my GT.
    I found it very annoying driving under the overpasses.
    The lights went on then off in a few seconds, and this could repeat
    if there are sequence of ambient light changes. It feels light I was
    flashing headlights at the drivers in front of me.... That driver might take it
    badly.... ;)
  • master_yoda3master_yoda3 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you all for the answers. All of a sudden the dome lights started working when ignition is off. Sux about the auto headlights, but oh well. We got a pretty good deal on the black sport model with roof rack and cargo net for 29K OTD which includes Aurora, CO 8.1% tax.
  • kq_kqkq_kq Member Posts: 1
    No matter what season it is , I usually just fire up my car ( Mazda CX 9 2013) and go, though I’ve often wondered if I should let it warm up?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited August 2013
    That's what I do and both my cars are in their teens and the van I'm riding in now has ~188,000 miles on it. And both cars have lived in severe weather (both extreme hot in Boise summers and long hard winters in the UP of MI).

So I think it's better just to get in and go (but gently for the first mile). Idling doesn't much warm up anything other than the engine.