Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Various questions regarding the Mazda CX-9

Comments

• cericceric Posts: 1,093
    Howard is correct regarding #1. No way to life the gate with the touch pad. It is for lock/unlock only.
    For Autolock, I had it done and have "lived with it" for more than 1 year.
    As Howard said, it is a bit annoying when you want to park the CX9 unlocked (such as in your own garage or gas station). My way to deal with it is simple.
    At gas station, I leave the driver's door ajar.
    In my garage, I close the door and walk away simultaneously very quickly. This gives no time for Autolock to confirm your location. Therefore, no locking.

If you can live with what I pointed out, you will love the rest of autolock.
    Dealer should do this for you for free. However, they may charge you if you change your mind later and want it off again.
  • Thanks Howard and Ceric.

I had the autolock turned on earlier this week and for the most part I like it. Seems a bit unpredictable, depending on quickly/slowly I get away from the car - evne the direction I go. Figure I'll live with for awhile and work it out.
  • I am considering the CX-9 but I have concerns about Maza reliability. My 1996 Nissan Maxima has 97,000 miles with minimal issues. Does the Mazda compare. Has anyone put 60,000 miles without issue?
    Check the most recent issue of ConsumersReport.
    CX9's record is pretty good, though not top notch like Highlander/Pilot.
    However, it shows that CX9's repair records are mostly red circles (you know what I mean if you read ConsumersReport) other than body hardware, which is an empty circle (i.e. so-so).
    In short, CX9 does not have major issues with powertrain. Early models have some issues but mostly corrected by TSBs and probably not present on 2009/2010 models anymore.
    So, if you plan to get a 2009/2010, I bet that the reliability should be pretty good.
    I have a 2008 for 2 years (23K miles).
    The only issue I had is that rear windows couldn't roll down completely due to loose styrofoams inside the doors (assembly issue - fixed easily).

Personally, to me, the number of issues is not as important as how significant the issues are. A powertrain issue certainly impacts you more than 5 minor problems such as rattling, loose pieces, etc.

In summary, CX9 and Mazda 3 are the top reliability performers among all Mazdas. Check ConsumersReport for reference.

A few points to add (for reliability):
    - Engine: from Ford's Duratec 3.5L enlarged to 3.7L and revised the intake manifold.
    - Transmission: from Aisin, same supplier than supplies transmission to Lexus and Toyota (so you that they are pretty smooth and reliable).
    - Chasis: shared with Ford Edge
    - Electronics: share many parts with Toyota/Lexus' suppliers as well.
  • ceric,

Thanks for the reply, very good information. I did rent a Ford Edge for a week and really wanted to love the car but only liked it. I was never really comfortable in it. I need to try it again. I am considering CX9, Murano and Highlander. Do you have any thoughts on those cars?
    Murano is much smaller, not in the same class as CX9 or Highlander, IMO.
    For Highlanders, it's pros and cons (IMO, again) are
    Pros: good engine power, MPG, statistically more reliable
    Cons: Soft-ride (some may love it), non-split-able 3rd row (deal killer for many), smaller interior room

Toyota just had the massive recall on the gas pedal due to recent cases of unattended acceleration. Make sure the gas pedal is corrected on the one you buy. :(
  • wdhytewdhyte Posts: 92
    all good points ceric and part of the research that I did via CR and other sources (here included) before we bought our CX9. So far, the only complaint I have is the seemingly 'loosening' of the plastic around parts of the console (specifically the shifter) that will make a plastic rubbing/buzzing noise at certain speeds. I can stop it by pressing against the shifter plastic (the part of the shifter plastic that has the pattern cutout for the shift from park through drive). Its disturbing that at less than 3000 mi it should already be buzzing/rattling inside (its actually been dong since about 1500 mi but has gotten worse). everything else on the vehicle seems solid however (I'm inclined to open up this portion of the console and just glue the crap out of it ;) )
  • Question:

I have a 07' Touring and I do not have the Bose system. What I do have is what looks to be speaker grilles built in to the "D-Pillar" moldings on each side. I know there is no speakers there because I have turned my volume up and put my ear next to it and there is no sound coming out of it.

My question is if anyone that has a CX-9 without the Bose system has removed the pillar moldings and can confirm that our non-Bose CX-9's are pre-wired for a speakers. I would love to install a set of speakers back there but before I do and start ripping things appart back there, I would like to know ahead of time.
    On other forum I visit often, someone had this corrected by dealer.
    Apparently, a tab/clip to hold the plate was broken. You should take it to the dealer if it is still under warranty.
    I was planning to have them do the first oil chg and then hit them on this at that time too...good to know about the clip though...thanks. Need to have them chk out the BT too...it seems a bit 'flaky' at times. :shades: thanks ceric
  • I've been looking a the CX9 and the one thing that really bugs me is that massive center console. Most vehicles have a small console there (where the shifter goes and usually some beverage cup holders). We had an Outback that had that and the cockpit was low, and it drove us crazy to get in and out - we always felt cramped.

Some SUVs don'thave anything there, and I like that openness (wife also likes it for her purse!).

Can anyone comment on that center console and how it affects your comfort? Thanks.
  • personally i like the console because it stores all my gadgets and keeps my AUX cable somewhat hidden away for my iPhone. the new 2010 models now have a split console for the driver and passenger to store their "stuff" separately. i agree that if you like "openness" it's not for you, but i like the "cockpit" feel that it gives.
  • I second that as well...I love the snug cockpit feel the center console gives as well as the large compartment to put stuff into. I do wish there were more cupholders throughout the vehicle and not those poor excuse for a cupholders on each of the doors.
  • svofan2svofan2 Posts: 440
    I am undecided if I am going to get a Murano LE or a Grand Touring CX9.....but it very dificult to decide , at least for me, between 2 good SUVs or croosovers....CERIC deserve a big thank you from all of us...CERIC your insights, advise and all around knowledge about the CX( keeps me,and others,coming back to see "what he says.." about..well...anything....CERIC makes all very interesting....I will continue to visit since my current Sienna lease is not over until Oct 2010...I have time...but today I am as undecided as I was a month ago.....thank you CERIC and continue with your wise words...
  • Denver,

I have the same concerns about the center console. I like the car, but I find I couldn't get comfortable with the center console. My elbow kept hitting it!

It's not only wide, it's incredibly tall! Makes the car feel like so less roomy than it should be.

Quite frankly, because of that "feature" I'm looking at the pilot and the Highlander.

I also found that it really doesn't give much in the way of storage space, not when you consider the real estate it consumes.
  • I understand that I do not have to use Premium gas for the CX-9. I've always used premium gas for my other cars (Pathfinder, 4-Runner) even though it wasn't required. Is there any advantage to using Premium, high octane gas in the CX-9? Even a marginal benefit? Or is it just a waste of money?
  • waste of money. unless the car manual says premium fuel required or if you tow lots of heavy stuff up a hill frequently, premium fuel is a way for gasoline companies to make money off of you.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,901
    I concur - unless your vehicle requires premium, use what they recommend.

I drive a Passat 1.8T which requires 91 octane - in that case, I use premium.
    true - waste of money. You only need high test (premium) for high performance/high compression engines...neither of which is the motor in the CX9. It runs great on regular. In my F150, I ran a full tank of premium and a full tank of regular over the course of a couple weeks when the driving type was identical (around town, back n forth to work, etc) and I actually got slightly better mileage w/the reg.
    Exactly. Not just waste of money.
    87 octane actually has higher energy content per volume than 91!!!
    You will get better MPG from 87 if the engine is designed for it.

Don't buy in the "detergent" additive, either. Pop in a bottle ($1.5 or less) gas treatment on every oil change with a full tank of gas. It works just as good as any additive the some gas company claims to clean the engine. The so-called "detergent" is nothing more than just jet fuel.
  • Ceric,

I just purchased 2010 GT AWD, is there a wiring harness for trailer connection pre-configured or do I have to install a product like t-connector? I looked underneath vehicle on rear passenger side and did not see any connector. Thought I found it, but it turned out to be a threaded connection for the tie-down I assume. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Hi,
    Any 2010 AWD is "tow-preped", meaning, it has
    - heavier duty radiator (you could see two fan control modules - a silver box with heat sink on it - instead of one)
    - larger transmission cooler
    - ECU programming that is tuned for towing
    - (for 2010) pre-wiring
    The connector, I believe, can be found under the cargo tray. I have seen picture of it.
    If so, pulling it out to the hitch should be easy.

If you go to U-Haul, they can sell you a hitch and do the wiring (final stage) for you.
  • Does that mean I cannot see the connector unless I remove the cargo tray? I looked underneath the rear of the vehicle and could see no such connector. With this connector, what additional wiring is left to do? I was hoping it was a simple matter of connecting up a 4-flat or round connector to the existing "tow-prep" wiring in the CX-9.

Thanks for all the help.......
    edited February 2010
  • I just purchased a 2010 CX-9 (Touring version). I'm not sure why fog lamps were only available on the Grand Touring, but they were.

So here's my question. Has anyone installed the fog lamps using Mazda parts?

Is the wiring already in the car? The dealer told me it takes a couple of hours to install them, that doesn't seem like much time.
    Can't say about wiring, but you would need to remove the front bumper to install the fog lights. That takes a bit of time to do it perfectly.
  • Thanks Ceric,

The head lights seem quite good on the CX9, so I'm not sure the fog lights would be worth the trouble to install.

One other question, "Do mud flaps help much on this car"? That's another thing I'm considering installing.
    Mud flaps?
    They are quite short in length so I am not too sure they work extremely well.
    However, they look great on CX9. ;)
  • sedmundsedmund Posts: 93
    In my 2007 CX9 GT, which has the smart key, to unlock and open the tail gate from outside I have to use my key fob/card. I can't walk up to rear and just press a button to unlock the tail gate (like I do to unlock the driver or passenger side door). Does anyone know if this is the same behavior in the 2010, now that they have a different key fob that looks identical to the Mazda6? Note that in Mazda6 you can walk up to the back of the car and just press a trunk release button on the trunk to unlock and open it, as long as you have the key fob with/on you.
    There is a touch pad on the right side of the hatch handle. It acts the same as the small dot on the door handles. You don't need to take the fob out of your pocket.