Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Various questions regarding the Mazda CX-9

Comments

• No problem on the input. I know how hard it is to find online experiences from others who tow with their CX-9. I have not weighed my vehicle/trailer combo yet, but plan to do so at a truckstop that's about 15 minutes from me. My trailer stays stocked with the basics, so depending on the weight it comes in at I'll just make sure to keep an eye on the extras that I pack (kids, food, clothing).
    I guess my wife doesn't care about the hitch being lower than the notch...she's too happy about not having to sleep on the ground in a tent anymore! My Here's a picture of my set-up. I'm sure it's more aerodynamic than a hard-sided trailer. Sorry about the black & white, my wife changed the setting on the camera behind my back.
    imageFrom junk
  • tbo01tbo01 Posts: 10
    Nice color, same as ours. I installed the mazda roof rack, rubber floor mats and Home Link as it was not installed on our slightly used madza exec driven GT (odd), also questioned the trip computer not being available for 2007, now standard for 2009!!!. Anyway next option for us is a set of 17 or 18" x 8"-8.5" wheels with a mud-snow tire, for upcoming trips to Colorado, West Texas and for camping. Having just gone through the ordeal of locating a Bridegestone 245-50-20 replacement tire this weekened in Houston following the dreaded nail in the side wall of a perfectly good original tire ($211), I am somewhat hesitant to venture off on a long skiing-camping trip with current wheel setup and puny spare. I have been looking at a second set of wheels for above with Yokohama Geolander ATS in a 255-275 / 60-65 series pending actual wheel diameter descision and wheel overall diametr calculations. From this weekends episode, it also look like the puny 165-18 spare tire can be replaced by a reasonable sized 235-255 spare tire of same diameter. It will fit in spare tire area, just depends on how much road clearence you wish to have. In addition of course ride will be greatly improved on rougher rod conditions. FYI, spare tire on steel rim weighs 40-42lbs with original 20" aluminum wheel and tire at 61lbs or so, so replacement wheels should fit in between somewhere
  • tbo01tbo01 Posts: 10
    FYI,

Just had a local wedlding shop modify aftermarket Draw-Tite 4000lb/400lb class thre hitch. They plasma cut the ears on the hitch, shorten them, welded back together with dioubler plat. 2" hiotch now sits higher and flush with original mazda cut out. I can forward photos if interested. really happy with end result
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,916
    Maybe you can post the pics on your CarSpace page. That way if someone shows up in two or three years wanting to know more, they'll be able to easily find your pics. Thanks!
  • In an '08 GT, the last light that is on the ceiling, the one that lights up the cargo area. Does yours turn on when you open the tailgate? The light that is ON the tailgate turns on when I open the tailgate, but that's it..no others. The light in question (as well as the other dome lights) do turn on when I open any door. Thx.
  • my3rdrxmy3rdrx Posts: 167
    Has anyone tried to replace their low-beam HID bulb yet? I could only get the contact off the bulb but not the bulb itself ~ Help :confuse: !!!
  • I have read several posts on the CX-9 forum regarding the uncomfortable ride quality as well as unsafe handling in the snow of the 20" tires. I plan on getting 18" on the GT I buy.

A basic question - if I make that switch, is there anything else that I would have to ask the dealer to change in the car?

As you can see, I am not as well versed as many others on this forum. Appreciate your help.
  • cericceric Posts: 1,093
    Actually, I like my 20" on the GT. It is as firm as most BMWs, but maybe too firm for people who like Lexus/Toyota. To each one's own.
    The 18" certainly make it feel softer due to higher side wall of the tires.
    As for the on-snow performance, the 18" and 20" has similar Bridgestone Duel H/L tires. They are bad on snow (tho, all-season). I would suggest real snow tires or better all-seasons (such as Yoko Parada Spec-X - check tirerack.com for review) tires.
  • Been a proud owner of an '09 CX-9 for a week, and I have two questions - hopefully I can find an answer here to one or both.

Power liftgate operation - is there a way to do this from the exterior lock/unlock button to the right of the lift gate handle? Yes, I'm that lazy.

Auto-lock feature - planning to have this turned on by the dealer today (auto locks all doors when you walk away using Advanced Key). Anyone have this done, and any regrets? Why is this not better than the default?

Thanks!
  • howardruhowardru Posts: 155
    1) No way to auto-life with the button on the car. You can use your smart card to unlock and auto-lift the door. Instructions in the manual.

2) At first I wanted it, then I found out that car will auto lock anytime you walk away. Well I walk away half the time in my garage. Often times find myelf running down to the car to get something and the car is locked. Very annoying since I park it indoors in the garage where it's secured. If you don't have a garage, then it's probably not so bad.
    Howard is correct regarding #1. No way to life the gate with the touch pad. It is for lock/unlock only.
    For Autolock, I had it done and have "lived with it" for more than 1 year.
    As Howard said, it is a bit annoying when you want to park the CX9 unlocked (such as in your own garage or gas station). My way to deal with it is simple.
    At gas station, I leave the driver's door ajar.
    In my garage, I close the door and walk away simultaneously very quickly. This gives no time for Autolock to confirm your location. Therefore, no locking.

If you can live with what I pointed out, you will love the rest of autolock.
    Dealer should do this for you for free. However, they may charge you if you change your mind later and want it off again.
  • Thanks Howard and Ceric.

I had the autolock turned on earlier this week and for the most part I like it. Seems a bit unpredictable, depending on quickly/slowly I get away from the car - evne the direction I go. Figure I'll live with for awhile and work it out.
  • I am considering the CX-9 but I have concerns about Maza reliability. My 1996 Nissan Maxima has 97,000 miles with minimal issues. Does the Mazda compare. Has anyone put 60,000 miles without issue?
    Check the most recent issue of ConsumersReport.
    CX9's record is pretty good, though not top notch like Highlander/Pilot.
    However, it shows that CX9's repair records are mostly red circles (you know what I mean if you read ConsumersReport) other than body hardware, which is an empty circle (i.e. so-so).
    In short, CX9 does not have major issues with powertrain. Early models have some issues but mostly corrected by TSBs and probably not present on 2009/2010 models anymore.
    So, if you plan to get a 2009/2010, I bet that the reliability should be pretty good.
    I have a 2008 for 2 years (23K miles).
    The only issue I had is that rear windows couldn't roll down completely due to loose styrofoams inside the doors (assembly issue - fixed easily).

Personally, to me, the number of issues is not as important as how significant the issues are. A powertrain issue certainly impacts you more than 5 minor problems such as rattling, loose pieces, etc.

In summary, CX9 and Mazda 3 are the top reliability performers among all Mazdas. Check ConsumersReport for reference.

A few points to add (for reliability):
    - Engine: from Ford's Duratec 3.5L enlarged to 3.7L and revised the intake manifold.
    - Transmission: from Aisin, same supplier than supplies transmission to Lexus and Toyota (so you that they are pretty smooth and reliable).
    - Chasis: shared with Ford Edge
    - Electronics: share many parts with Toyota/Lexus' suppliers as well.
  • ceric,

Thanks for the reply, very good information. I did rent a Ford Edge for a week and really wanted to love the car but only liked it. I was never really comfortable in it. I need to try it again. I am considering CX9, Murano and Highlander. Do you have any thoughts on those cars?
    Murano is much smaller, not in the same class as CX9 or Highlander, IMO.
    For Highlanders, it's pros and cons (IMO, again) are
    Pros: good engine power, MPG, statistically more reliable
    Cons: Soft-ride (some may love it), non-split-able 3rd row (deal killer for many), smaller interior room

Toyota just had the massive recall on the gas pedal due to recent cases of unattended acceleration. Make sure the gas pedal is corrected on the one you buy. :(
  • wdhytewdhyte Posts: 92
    all good points ceric and part of the research that I did via CR and other sources (here included) before we bought our CX9. So far, the only complaint I have is the seemingly 'loosening' of the plastic around parts of the console (specifically the shifter) that will make a plastic rubbing/buzzing noise at certain speeds. I can stop it by pressing against the shifter plastic (the part of the shifter plastic that has the pattern cutout for the shift from park through drive). Its disturbing that at less than 3000 mi it should already be buzzing/rattling inside (its actually been dong since about 1500 mi but has gotten worse). everything else on the vehicle seems solid however (I'm inclined to open up this portion of the console and just glue the crap out of it ;) )
  • Question:

I have a 07' Touring and I do not have the Bose system. What I do have is what looks to be speaker grilles built in to the "D-Pillar" moldings on each side. I know there is no speakers there because I have turned my volume up and put my ear next to it and there is no sound coming out of it.

My question is if anyone that has a CX-9 without the Bose system has removed the pillar moldings and can confirm that our non-Bose CX-9's are pre-wired for a speakers. I would love to install a set of speakers back there but before I do and start ripping things appart back there, I would like to know ahead of time.
    On other forum I visit often, someone had this corrected by dealer.
    Apparently, a tab/clip to hold the plate was broken. You should take it to the dealer if it is still under warranty.
  • wdhytewdhyte Posts: 92
    I was planning to have them do the first oil chg and then hit them on this at that time too...good to know about the clip though...thanks. Need to have them chk out the BT too...it seems a bit 'flaky' at times. :shades: thanks ceric