Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

1999 4Runner Stayed Running After I turned off Ignition?

xio1xio1 Member Posts: 1
edited April 2014 in Toyota
Hello,

Not sure what to do here. I have been having troubles with my 4Runner not wanting to start. I would turn the key and it would not do anything. I would then pump the gas and make sure that there was nothing electrical on while starting the car and after a few tries it would turn on. I did go to Discount Auto Parts and they checked the battery and said it was fine.

This morning I went to turn it on expecting the same thing and after a few sluggish tries, it did turn on. I heard a weird noise while the engine was running so I turned the ignition off. Well, when this happened the Engine kept going, but it wasn't running like normal; it started making a clanking noise and continued to run. It was 5:30 am and I could not find a proper wrench to disconnect the negative on the battery, so it ran for awhile like this until I was able to disconnect the battery. During that time I smelled burning, not sure if electrical or engine itself???? I waited until later this morning to try to do anything. I connected the negative pole and I noticed that it gets hot when I connect it??? Then I got in the car to see if it would start, at first the chime for the door was going, I closed the door and tried to start it and nothing would happen. After a few attempts I stopped, the chime when the door is open does not sound anymore and the negative pole is still getting hot.

Please help.

Comments

• Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You have an electrical short and you should have your 4Runner serviced ASAP.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    t4rboardert4rboarder Member Posts: 1
    I know you've probably gotten it fixed by now but that is definitely a starter problem, you can either replace the whole starter (expensive) or replace the contacts within the starter and see the same results.
This discussion has been closed.