Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1999 4Runner Stayed Running After I turned off Ignition?

xio1xio1 Posts: 1
edited April 2014 in Toyota
Hello,

Not sure what to do here. I have been having troubles with my 4Runner not wanting to start. I would turn the key and it would not do anything. I would then pump the gas and make sure that there was nothing electrical on while starting the car and after a few tries it would turn on. I did go to Discount Auto Parts and they checked the battery and said it was fine.

This morning I went to turn it on expecting the same thing and after a few sluggish tries, it did turn on. I heard a weird noise while the engine was running so I turned the ignition off. Well, when this happened the Engine kept going, but it wasn't running like normal; it started making a clanking noise and continued to run. It was 5:30 am and I could not find a proper wrench to disconnect the negative on the battery, so it ran for awhile like this until I was able to disconnect the battery. During that time I smelled burning, not sure if electrical or engine itself???? I waited until later this morning to try to do anything. I connected the negative pole and I noticed that it gets hot when I connect it??? Then I got in the car to see if it would start, at first the chime for the door was going, I closed the door and tried to start it and nothing would happen. After a few attempts I stopped, the chime when the door is open does not sound anymore and the negative pole is still getting hot.

Please help.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
1999 4Runner Stayed Running After I turned off Ignition? - Car Forums at Edmunds.com