Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Mazda3

Comments

• yvanhyvanh Posts: 8
    as I respect them all, and it's funny because the initial comment was (from the technical standpoint) to say that DSG is not pure automatic because it uses 2 clutches.
    Secondly, it was not the intention to create a transmission war, I just wished that the new Mazda 3 had something similar as the DSG to make it even more fun to drive than the current automatic.

Again.. I've driven all the mentioned transmissions, Manual is my prefered choice ALWAYS, and for a car like the Mazda 3 my choice would be manual, unless there was an option like DSG.

My previous 2 Audis (A4 and S4) and my current 08Aveo5 -which is a blast because that little car has almost no electronics, no abs, no traction control, no power windows, no a/c- were all manual. DSG on car loaner and test drives (A3, GTI), Automatic and Steptronnic on BMW (currently own X3 and car loaners 328, 335).

For my taste, the Mazda 3 has a very well weight, right size, good power, really good suspension and the only way I can think to make a good car even better, is by adding somehting like DSG that offers the fun of the sprited driving and the convenience of fully automatic -in traffic, or holding a cellphone, or just taking care of your passangers ;) -

Video of How DSG works

DSG on Wikipedia
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    An update on the upcoming Mazda2 by Keith Morgan of The Province:

"The Mazda2 -- the 2008 World Car of the Year -- will be sold in Canada within the next year. Everybody at the New York auto show a year ago was stunned when the subcompact scooped the prestigious title because it wasn't even available in North America. Mazda Canada immediately began lobbying for its inclusion on its roster and dealerships across the nation joined the chorus. Mazda Motor Corp. president and CEO Takashi Yamanouchi heard the call and quietly let the word out at this year's Big Apple show that the Mazda2 would indeed soon be challenging the Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris, Hyundai Accent and Chevrolet Aveo for primacy in the hot market segment. The initial reluctance was caused by fears over jeopardizing the new Mazda3's success, but strong sales figures seem to have diminished concern. Mazda's former partner Ford, which has announced the launch here next year of its Fiesta, may have forced the Japanese manufacturer's hand, as the Fiesta sits on the Mazda2 platform. Expect to see a hatchback version of the Mazda2."

Yes!
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    I would assume if they bring it to Canada, they will also bring it to the US???
  • creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    I already took a test drive of the made-in-Germany Fiesta in California. For the first time I actually think my boring-steering 2000 Civic w/ multi-link double-wish-bones all around is pretty good dynamically. LOL Because with only electric pwr steering & lack of multi-link rear suspension, the Fiesta/Mazda2 just can't be so great in both ride & road holding . The 1.6 engine developed by Mazda was very smooth to rev, though.

I am glad I am still keeping my two other cars -- the real compact version (2600+lbs) "Mazda3's" -- that are much more lovable dynamically than my Civic -- the '90 Protege twin-cam & the '07 Focus 2.3 ST, both of which still got pure hydraulic pwr steering. Because the new Mazda3 is mid size in every way except refinement! Car & Driver still complained about its ride & quietness plus the compact-size rear leg room, while gaining all the weaknesses of a mid-size car -- 2.5's balance-shaft-wasted inferior performance/mpg to that of the BMW 3.0 6-cyl, & the bulky width/length/weight. Besides, do you still have to get the heavy motorized seat in order to tilt your seat cushion?

The only detail that impressed me is the reappearance of the Euro-style diagonal driver's inside door handle since its discontinuation after the 1991 Protege. Boy, don't you hate those nerdy horizontal aft-locating door handle so typical of Japanese cars all the way from even the sporty/drifty RWD Corolla's to the Lexus?
  • joe0302joe0302 Posts: 16
    When did Mazda break off from Ford? I thought the Focus coming here was a hot HB and the R model,but maybe we are getting the regular dumb down versions Of Eurpean cars,because of the value of the Euro?
    Thanks,
    Joe
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Mazda has not (and most likely will not) break off from Ford. That said, last fall Ford reduced its ownership stake in Mazda from ~33% to ~13%.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    I would assume if they bring it to Canada, they will also bring it to the US???

It's unclear to me how either Mazda USA or Mazda Canada choose their model lineups. For the USA, the allure of the small car is not engrained as much as it seems in other parts of the world. The auto landscape in Canada has a distinct preference for small cars and Canada is one of the top markets for the Mazda3. Bringing the Mazda2 makes sense, especially to compete with the subcompact sedans like the Hyundai Accent, Nissan Versa and even Toyota Yaris. But the Europeans outdo us all; not only do they have both the Mazda2 and Mazda3 they have more versions of them, including diesels.
  • relldonrelldon Posts: 8
    Does anyone know how long it would take to get a 2010 Mazda 3 special ordered from the factory in Japan? Also, should I expect to pay more, less or the same price as a similar vehicle already on the dealer's lot?

John
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    3 1/2 to 4 months from the time the order is placed until it arrives on dealer lots.

You should negotiate a price for the special order and sing a purchase order for that price. The only thing that is unknown is the incentives that will be available when your car arrives.
  • joe0302joe0302 Posts: 16
    I agree small is beautiful.However,how about a small car like the,Versa,Yaris,Fit,Scion and Mazda 2 that offer a DOHC V tec 2.0 liter that offer options like heated seats,power sunroof and leather.
    I'm thinking like the Integra, GTI, and the RSX.I sort of liked the Kia Soul it appears to be nice3 but,after trying one and manual transmission wasn't smooth.Also,18' tires didn't help for a nice ride.
    Saturn has the Astra 2dr HB with heated seats ,but no sunroof.The 1.6 L engine doesn't cut it either. I tried the Mini S 6spd and it had all I wanted as I use it as a 2 seater. It was a 6spd, performance pkg.with heated seats. The price was $24380.00 it's a rocket,but you feel you should be on a go cart track.
    So it looks like I'll be getting a GTI.However, the 2010 model is 3k more.
    How come in Europe they get the hot small cars and the ones they send over here are dumb downed?Fiesta and Opel's Astra for example. :confuse:
    well, Happy Motoring
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    How come in Europe they get the hot small cars and the ones they send over here are dumb downed?

One reason is for most americans to buy a small car it has to be cheap. Cars, in general, are much cheaper in the US. The Golf (not GTI) starts at the equivalent of about $21,000 in UK.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/#/new/
  • tinoctinoc Posts: 2
    Hello,

I bought the 5-door GT with the Moon-Roof/Bose System package and Tech package. Considering that it is an upgraded package, the Bose sound system on my car doesn't seem quite up to par. I'm taking it back to the dealer for an inspection. Hopefully they find something wrong and fix it. If they find nothing is wrong, I'll be stuck with it :-(
    Anyone here have similar experience?

Thanks.
    I agree small is beautiful.However,how about a small car like the,Versa,Yaris,Fit,Scion and Mazda 2 that offer a DOHC V tec 2.0 liter that offer options like heated seats,power sunroof and leather.

To each his own. A light machine with good handling that's the key for me.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,504
    To each his own. A light machine with good handling that's the key for me.

Me too; that's why I love my Club Sport; 2700 lbs., 152 hp, and(thankfully) RWD. I special ordered it in 1995 so I could get a LSD without a stupid hole in the roof. I'm NEVER going to sell it. :shades:

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• dilbertsdubdilbertsdub Posts: 16
    Test drove the Mazda 3 i touring with 5spd man. A nice little car, that I would say is on par with my Jetta as far as interior quality and materials. Although I think in terms of features/equipment available that perhaps the Mazda 3 S sport would be more my Jetta's equivalent.

Ride and handling are also quite good. Although I did find the test vehicle seemed under-tired with the 16's. I currently have 17"s on the Jetta and perhaps am just used to the ride.

I highly recommend that anyone upgrade to the bose as the base system is underwhelming in my opinion.
  • usf813usf813 Posts: 8
    So I finally have decided to get rid of my '97 Civic for a new car. I looked at the '09 Mazda 3 last year and really liked it, but wasn't in a financial position to get a new car. Now I am and I must say i'm not overly impressed with the '10. The iTouring lost it's fog lights, side turn blinkers, leather wrapped stearing wheel, and TEMP GUAGE??. Ummm what happens if the car starts to overheat? How on earth are you going to pull off the road and turn the darn thing off before you start seeing smoke? I can live with the grill, especially with the graphite color.

Maybe i'll try to find an '09 iTouring. I know they are harder to find these days. That or i'm back to Honda.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Posts: 1,230
    The iTouring lost it's... TEMP GUAGE??. Ummm what happens if the car starts to overheat? How on earth are you going to pull off the road and turn the darn thing off before you start seeing smoke?

Temperature gauges these days are NOTHING like the gauges found in cars 20 years ago. Basically, it's an idiot light that takes the form of a needle and a blue and red stripe painted at each end. The coolant temperature fluctuates when the engine is operating, yet just about all temp. needles don't even move after it reaches operating temperature. A more accurate gauge would at least show the fluctuations...

We're lucky there are still gas gauges these days, since they're a VERY rough estimation of fuel levels in most modern cars as well.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Ummm what happens if the car starts to overheat? How on earth are you going to pull off the road and turn the darn thing off before you start seeing smoke?

There is an overheating light that will come on if the engine starts to run hot.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 791
    To be honest, a warning light is probably more effective than a coolant temperature gauge. Most drivers don't keep a constant eye on the temp gauge, but a warning light will be noticed immediately. Just think about how many miles you could travel with the needle pegged on 'H' (Hot) before you noticed....

Since you prefer the '09 bodystyle over the new 2010 model, you're in luck! You can get a GREAT DEAL on an '09 (temp gauge and all)! ;)

The '09 model is actually called the Touring Value (replaced the regular 'Touring' in the 2008.5 mid-year refresh). The 'Value' model upgraded the following compared to the "i Touring" trim level that it replaced:

Leather-wrapped shift knob
    Leather-wrapped steering wheel
    Piano black interior trim panel
    17" Alloy Wheels (from the 's' Touring/Grand Touring)
    P205/50VR17 tires (vs. previous P205/55HR16)
    Body-colored grille (vs. black)
    Fog lights
    Anti-Lock Brakes (ABS)*
    Side-Impact Airbags (SAB) & Side Airbag Curtains (SAC)*
    Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD)*
    *previously optional on i Touring models as the "ABS/SAB/SAC Package".

The i Touring Value gives the look of an 's Touring' for about $2000 less. The main difference was that the 'i' has the 2.0L engine vs. the 2.3L in the 's'.

There are still a lot of 2009 i Touring Value models available. Using the 'Search Inventory' link on the MazdaUSA.com website, I found 133 i Touring Values with Automatic and 16 with Manual (within 250 miles of my Atlanta area zip code). The Edmunds TMV price for the i Touring Value Automatic is only $15,230 ($18,665 MSRP, $17,529 Invoice Price) which reflects a $2000 rebate. The TMV is only $14,400 on the i Touring Value Manual....it doesn't get any better than that!!!
    To be honest, a warning light is probably more effective than a coolant temperature gauge. Most drivers don't keep a constant eye on the temp gauge, but a warning light will be noticed immediately. Just think about how many miles you could travel with the needle pegged on 'H' (Hot) before you noticed...

So, why not pair a warning light with an ACCURATE temperature gauge? I hate, hate, HATE those "buffered" gauges.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• sonnyrockersonnyrocker Posts: 126
    I really don't like the modern look. I like the retro gauges. They look great on the 2009.

If you can find a 2009, for the price, it is a much better car than 2010. First, you get all the goodies for much, much less. 2nd, it just looks so much better. The clear LED tailight looks awesome. Both front and back of 09 looks better than 2010. I do like the sides of the 2010 better. But they charge too much for 2010 compare to 2009 models.
    I paid $16K for my 2009, and that includes all tainted windows and rear spoiler is included as well.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 791
    Ideally, it would be both a gauge showing actual (correct) coolant temp and a warning light when it hits a certain threshold (preferably before it's pegged on 'H').

That's how they do it for fuel level. There's a gauge showing amount of fuel and a warning light when it hits a certain low point...

I wonder how accurately the trip computer calculates Miles Remaining?
  • sonnyrockersonnyrocker Posts: 126
    I don't buy the argument that the guages aren't accurate.
    They are very close to what its supposed to be, that's why they are there.
    The temp guage is right in front of you next to your mph guage. There is no excuse for not paying attention unless you don't look at your guages at all. I drive manual so I look at the guages panel all the time.
    I wonder how accurately the trip computer calculates Miles Remaining?

Based on my measurements, it's 4%-5% optimistic.

I don't buy the argument that the guages aren't accurate.
    They are very close to what its supposed to be, that's why they are there.
    The temp guage is right in front of you next to your mph guage. There is no excuse for not paying attention unless you don't look at your guages at all. I drive manual so I look at the guages panel all the time.

The temp gauge isn't accurate. It's designed to indicate half way between hot and cold unless the engine is really hot or really cold. Think about it, have you ever seen the needle move even a millimeter once the engine has reached operating temperature? In contrast, the coolant temperature gauge needles in my 1975 BMW 2002 and 1999 Wrangler move around quite a bit.

The temp gauge isn't accurate. It's designed to indicate half way between hot and cold unless the engine is really hot or really cold.

I suppose what this discussion shows is that the degree of accuracy is based on a driver's perception. For many drivers, a simple indication that the engine is within the acceptable range or not, is likely enough. And, if one uses common sense one can avoid problems. Now, on a hot day with a loaded car moving slowly up a hill, most drivers would like know that the guage is working in case there is a problem. Reminds me of one hot summer's day in New York City when my co-driver learned the lesson the hard way; we ended up stopping the car a few times to give it a chance to cool down.
    For many drivers, a simple indication that the engine is within the acceptable range or not, is likely enough. And, if one uses common sense one can avoid problems.

I guess it's OK for a commuter car or grocery getter, but when I'm on the track I want to know exactly what the coolant temperature is doing. The last thing I need is for the gauge to suddenly indicate full hot just as the coolant starts to boil over- all while I'm trying to slow down from 130 mph to 80 mph for Turn One at Putnam Park.

I guess it's OK for a commuter car or grocery getter, but when I'm on the track I want to know exactly what the coolant temperature is doing.
    Precisely. I think you would agree most drivers being commuters would not run into this scenario, and, it would be safe to say, you're not the average grocery getter. ;)

Personally, I'm waiting for the technology that slaps sense into drivers trying to manouevre through inner city traffic, construction sites, highways exits/entrances and the like while texting on a cellphone. This increases my temperature.
  • usf813usf813 Posts: 8
    I agree with you 100% sonnyrocker. Case in point. the temp gauge on my '97 Civic finally went above the water line and started approaching the redline. I've had the car since day 1 and this is the first time it's ever happened (and I do keep an eye on my gauges). It happened a half mile after leaving the house (was still warm from a previous trip) and I was able to pull off and slow down, before a major overheating, and make it back to my condo w/out cracking a head. Turns out the upper radiator hose and heater hose cracked and began leaking fluid. That gauge cost me $250 in repairs vs. thousands for a new engine.

I just don't understand how Mazda overlooked this! It's just seems so fundamental to me to include in an instrument display.
  • unicorn62unicorn62 Posts: 13
    The 2010 mazda3 is a overall well done car, but the mpg needs to be there if mazda wants to compete with the cars that get 35 to 39 mpgs, that includes the both the i and s models. They should give you a choice on what size rim you want on the car. My overall mpg on the mazda3 sport is as low as 25 and as high is 30.The only thing i don't like is the 17' rims. If anyone needs tires for the 3 try Tirerack.com they have the tires for alot less than if you went to a tire store.