Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Mazda3

Comments

• autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    they're dropping the 5-door model in the US
    Highly unlikely considering its popularity. It's more likely that the Mazdaspeed3 would disappear before the Mazda3 hatchback.

It's not unusual for an auto manufacturer to unveil different models at different auto shows.
  • rdm925rdm925 Posts: 46
    I think Mazda will sell the 5-door in the US. Their own website says they will introduce the Mazda 3 5-door later. This the USA site here ;http://www.mazdausa.com
    I don't believe their make the same mistake they made with the new 6.
    I look forward to checking it out. :shades:
    Good point.
    The press release on the MazdaUSA site says:
    "Following the world debut of the North American specification sedan with 2.0- and 2.5-liter engines at the show, the five-door hatchback version will be revealed in line with Mazda’s global sales schedule."
    In other words, information about the hatchback is coming soon.
  • exit123exit123 Posts: 136
    With the global economy in a shambles and auto sales down, Mazda will be looking for ways to save money. Remember, Mazda is partially owned by Ford (34% the last I heard) who is in deep [non-permissible content removed] right now, and will be looking for ways to cut costs. Dropping a low-volume model is a great way to do that. If the Mazda3 hatchback is such a great seller in the US and they plan to sell the hatchback soon after the sedan, then why did they decide to introduce ONLY the sedan at the LA Auto show? I think they'll let the hatchback sales go to the cheaper brands like Kia and Hyundai.
  • With the global economy in a shambles and auto sales down, Mazda will be looking for ways to save money. Remember, Mazda is partially owned by Ford (34% the last I heard) who is in deep [non-permissible content removed] right now, and will be looking for ways to cut costs.

That's funny, because last time I heard, Ford was looking to drop their share of ownership of Mazda. The only company cutting costs is Ford, NOT Mazda.

Dropping a low-volume model is a great way to do that.

Uhh, "low-volume"? Unlike the Mazda6 5-door, the Mazda3 5-door is hardly a "low-volume" seller in NA.

If the Mazda3 hatchback is such a great seller in the US and they plan to sell the hatchback soon after the sedan, then why did they decide to introduce ONLY the sedan at the LA Auto show?

It's called marketing.
    Hmmm, wonder why all the 2010 Mazda3 photos are only the sedan? Why is the LA debut only the sedan? Why the 5-door will be revealed in Europe (Bologna)? The answer is obvious, the 5-door Mazda3 will be sold in Europe but will disappear from the line-up in the US. Yes, the press releases do state the 5-door will be revealed later, but they fail to mention that it will only be sold in Europe and Asia.
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    Doubt it will go away any time soon. Down here in South Florida I see as many sedans as hatchbacks...maybe more. And talked with a salesman while having warranty work done on the wife's 3s and he didn't think that the hatch would be dropped from the lineup either. The 6 hatch didn't sell anywhere near the numbers that the 3 hatch does.
    But this is all speculation on all our parts. Why don't we just wait till we get word from...MAZDA!

The Sandman :)
  • I'm not worried. We'll know more next week at the soonest if they say anything during the sedan reveal, or a little over 2 weeks from now at the latest. I'm confident the hatch will be coming to the US. :shades:
  • From roadandtrack.com:

Available as a 4-door sedan or a 5-door hatchback, the new Mazda3 offers improved fuel efficiency, more safety features, a quieter cabin and an updated ride character that feels both more sporty and refined. Mazda says that it will unveil the 5-door version a few months down the road after the sedan's Los Angeles unveiling. We're glad to hear that the company plans to continue manufacturing the 5-door because we love the looks, grocery-getting convenience and fuel efficiency of this smart configuration.

Click me!
    Mazda probably said that way before the economy went to crap.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    The 2010 Mazda3 will debut at the LA Auto Show, and it's a 4-door only! This is what I've been saying all along - they're dropping the 5-door model in the US

Yes, they are only debuting the sedan in LA, however, us here State side are getting the 5-door. It's on my dealer network intranet for Mazda North American Operations. We are getting it.
  • biker4biker4 Posts: 746
    Dude, give it up already. There'll be a hatch. In this economy it's even more likely for Mazda to have a hatch so that they have an alternative for those folks that were planing on getting some CUV like the CX-7 but want something cheaper.
    It's on my dealer network intranet for Mazda North American Operations. We are getting it.

How is the financial crisis affecting your dealership, aviboy?

Are some vehicle purchases more affected than others?

I would imagine that many people are hesitating before purchasing any new vehicle in this type of environment. Any opinions on what would help the recovery?
    Sure, it's planned. It was probably planned already a couple of years ago, but the game has changed since then. Having it on some dealer network intranet means nothing until units are actually built. Why do suppose they are delaying it? Why not just show them both if they really are going to sell them both? Have they given a reason for that? Of course not, because the reason is so they can look at sales for the sedan and decide if it's profitable to build the 5-door, and they don't want to tell anyone that.

Sales of most auto models will be lower due to the worldwide economic meltdown. Mazda doesn't care about providing alternatives, only sales and profit. That's not a bad thing, just the way it works. In today's global economy you just have to drop the low volume stuff to stay profitable. The game has changed.
    How is the financial crisis affecting your dealership, aviboy?

It's not that bad where I am. Could business be better? Absolutely. Sales are down, that's for sure.

Are some vehicle purchases more affected than others?

The Mazda3, Mazda6 and CX-9 remain hot sellers....well, as hot as they can in a market like this. The CX-7 has really died down and the MX-5 is virtually dead. I'm guessing the MX-5 has hurt because it is usually a car purchased for recreation. People are not spending money on recreation right now.

Any opinions on what would help the recovery?

I'm stumped. I really think those people who have money to spend, and in my area that is a lot, are scared to spend it right now. Then there are those who are struggling to just get by. Those people are not even coming out.

What really is hurting us is lending institutions. They are being very very restrictive and selective with who they lend money too. Almost too selective. I have had a few people with 700+ credit scores and money down rejected loans by banks that 3 months ago were lending out money to people with 600 credit scores and no money down. I understand, and agree, with not lending money to 600 type people, but a 700+ person? Come on. Those people pay their bills.
    Having it on some dealer network intranet means nothing until units are actually built

It does if it's an ORDER GUIDE. They are ordered before they get built.....

Of course not, because the reason is so they can look at sales for the sedan and decide if it's profitable to build the 5-door, and they don't want to tell anyone that.

It is very profitable to build both versions. What evidence do you have to the support your claim? Apparently the info provided to me by Mazda is not good enough for you.

In today's global economy you just have to drop the low volume stuff to stay profitable

For domestics maybe, not Asian brands. Mazda just shelled out $500 million to buy their company back from Ford. Mazda is not hurting for cash. Remember, they are going to turn a big profit this year, despite the down market.
    I got wind today that the 2010 Mazda3 i will be powered by the revised MZR 2.0L with an output of 150hp and 36mpg highway. I'm curious to see if this is true.
  • The mpg sounds good. I read that they'll have the 2.5L 170hp from the Mazda6 as an option.
    Yeah, that is almost certain
    Highlights of the 2010 MAZDA3 sedan include, either as standard or optional:

* Available new 167 horsepower MZR 2.5L engine
    * Self leveling Bi-Xenon headlights
    * Adaptive Front Lighting System
    * Mazda's advanced keyless entry and push-button start
    * Hands-free Bluetooth® cell phone and audio player integration
    * Class-leading levels of reduced wind and road noise
    * Class-leading aerodynamics - 0.29 coefficient of drag
    * A strategically placed Multi-Information Display (MID) that displays important driver information such as audio settings, trip computer and navigation
    * Power driver seat with memory
    * 10 speaker BOSE® Centerpoint surround-sound audio system
    No highlights for the 2010 MAZDA3 hatchback? That's interesting ...
    You just don't get it do you....they are not showing the 5-door in LA. When the 06 Civic debuted, Honda only showed the sedan first, then the coupe at a later auto show.

I wish I could post the info I have on the Mazda3 5-door from my Mazda Intranet. I could get fired for doing so, so I won't.
    I just got an email about the streaming broadcast of the unveiling. Note that they say this is the "all-new MAZDA3", not the "all-new MAZDA3 sedan".

The next news release will be something like this:
    "Mazda has decided that, due the worldwide economic slump and resulting decrease in auto sales, plans to produce the Mazda3 hatchback model will be delayed."

Then they'll quietly cancel it sometime later.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,665
    Ever see the movie “Groundhog Day”.

I'm living it now...

“there's no hatch (boo hoo)”

“yes...there is”

“no, I don't believe it. Life's not fair”

“it is fair...gas is cheaper and Mazda told me they're bringing it”

“no, they didn't tell me...I'm sad”

“it'll be ok...there will be other hatches”

“no there won't...I can't go on...”

REWIND

press PLAY

I'd hate to un-subscribe to this forum, but it's driving me crazy :sick:

How about something like this.

The 6spd manual in the Mazda 6 is the same as the one in the Mazda 3.

The gear ratios are perfectly spaced with the throws nice and short. The shifts are fluid smooth with a positive engagement. The clutch is light but the take-up is near the top with friction point (sweet spot) about 2 inches...or something like that.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,851
    Yeah, this is kind of a pointless conversation, eh? When no one has the ability to prove anything right now, it's he said/he said... unless, of course someone has the ability to see into the future, in which case I'd appreciate knowing a few more things in advance.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

You are right, Kristie, this is just plain stupid. I would think that since I have been nothing but correct in everything I have posted in regards to upcoming Mazda's that it would count for something. But, since it is not good enough, here is a statement from Mazda's own website.

Look for the world debut of the all-new 2010 MAZDA3 at this year's LA Auto Show†, with a MAZDA3 five-door hatchback to follow.

It's just outlandish that anyone is listening to someone with absolutely no insight or knowledge pertaining to this car. This makes us all idiotic for actually listening to it.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,851
    But this place is largely anonymous, and no one is going to track your history to see if you have been correct vs incorrect. Is it really THAT important? People will believe what they want, regardless of evidence.

This explains why there are still people who think the first lunar landing was a hoax.

There are many more things to talk about... it's probably best if we leave this particular item behind.

(PS - everyone makes mistakes - no one is "nothing but correct." You spelled my name incorrectly :P )

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

You spelled my name incorrectly

Aww crap!

This explains why there are still people who think the first lunar landing was a hoax.

You had to go there...lol... :sick:
  • New article and lots of pics: http://www.motivemag.com/pub/feature/first_steer/Motive_First_Steer_2010_Mazda3.- - shtml

make sure to check out the gallery and specs links to the right of the article.