Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Mazda3

Comments

• jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Besides, whether or not it's rated "good" in snow/ice, chances are that winter tire will still do better than an all-season.

No, that's the point, that apparently there are at least some winter tires that perform worse than at least some A/S. Granted the winter tire that performed poorly in winter conditions was the exception. But they rated Hankook icebear W300 "poor" for "snow traction" and "good" for "ice braking". Meanwhile a number of A/S tires were rated "good" or better for snow traction and also "good" or better for ice braking.

The Michelin Primacy MXV4 was rated very good on ice braking and good for snow traction and Hankook Optimo H727 was very good on both of those winter tests.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    It's too bad that most people in snowy climates doesn't seem to (or refuse to) understand that. You don't NEED a gas-guzzling SUV or AWD vehicle to get around in winter months.

You can put my wife in that category. She refuses to drive anything but a Subaru because of snow. Listen to this....she is a teacher...she does not go to work when it snows!!! She stays home!!! LOL!!!
  • morin2morin2 Posts: 399
    I think a Subaru is a very good winter vehicle - and superior to most when equipped with tires suited to local conditions. They have better ground clearance than FWD cars and a low center of gravity with the boxer engine. I can't remember the last subaru I've seen slid off a road. On the other hand, I see so many Explorers slid off the road that I sometimes wonder if there is one left in the county, only to have one fly past me at 80, fishtailing in the snow, and then I see it a few miles later - upside down or on its side. I used to think that Ford must require buyers to turn in the part of the brain responsible for common sense with their down payments. I've been told that is optional. So I now wonder if off-gassing Ford plastics might destroy the common sense areas of Explorer drivers in snow.

Cars, with their low ground clearance should not be out in deep snow anyway. Any car with a skilled driver with appropriate tires trumps careless drivers of any vehicle type, however equipped. I never worry too much about driving in the snow. I always worry about the fools on the road in the winter.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Perhaps she want's the option to go out shopping on those snow days? ;)
    Perhaps she want's the option to go out shopping on those snow days?

Exactly....she is the one who wants to go out and do things when it snows.....shopping....going out to eat...etc...
  • morin2morin2 Posts: 399
    Hey, that would be a great subaru commercial. The radio announces that schools are closed & the teacher can now take her subaru to the mall.
  • creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    Has anyone driven both the 2.5 non-turbo Impreza & the 2.5 Mazda3? They look remarkably similar, but is the Subaru suppose to ride smoother while providing a more-numb steering feel? Which one is quieter?

At the LA Autoshow, I noticed the Impreza has very poor leg room on the right side.
    Hey, that would be a great subaru commercial. The radio announces that schools are closed & the teacher can now take her subaru to the mall.

That it would!
    Has anyone driven both the 2.5 non-turbo Impreza & the 2.5 Mazda3? They look remarkably similar, but is the Subaru suppose to ride smoother while providing a more-numb steering feel? Which one is quieter?

The 2.5 in the Impreza is quieter then it used to be, but there is still that Subaru "wonk, wonk, wonk" sound from the boxer engine. I think the 2.5 in the Mazda is quieter.

As for road noise, the Subaru has a slight advantage.
  • creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    I remember the Volvo S40/V50 5-cyl non-turbo 2.4 revs like it's working harder than the 2.3 in the Mazda3.

I guess the VW 5-cyl 2.5 should also rev louder than Mazda's 2.3/2.5?

Lately, I drove an '09 Mazda3 2.0 4-sp automatic. The engine quietness was pretty sad when passing. I hate most automatic. Dual-clutch should be the only automatic, just like the Ford Fiesta.
  • The VW 2.5 engine revs "louder" upon start up only IMO ( i traded my Junkwagen 2.5 for the Mazda 3s 2.5) In every other application, acceleration, cruising,..etc the Mazda seems quite a bit more communicative or louder. In addition to the engine being heard more in the Mazda, so too is the wind noise and road noise although i find it acceptable since I also find the Mazda to be a bit more sporty vehicle than the 2.5 Jetta.
  • (I just posted this on prices paid but thought it may be more appropriate here.)

Trying to decide between two cars. Dealer offer both for a same price (around $18500) + 0.0% financing.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks.
  • kmoenkmoen Posts: 2
    Is anyone having issues with their Bluetooth? I just got a 2010 Mazda3 Hatch - no nav - and the Bluetooth is TERRIBLE. First they said my Verizon Dare wasn't compatible, so I upgraded to a Blackberry (checked first to make sure it was compatible). 1 out of 10 calls is ok, but the other 9 are either complete static, or the other person says I am completely garbled, sound underwater, or sound like I'm in a well.

Called Mazda and they said to take it in, as they said it sounded like it was bad. Dealership isn't noticing any problems, so saying nothing to fix.... am I crazy or is someone else experiencing this??
  • whobodymwhobodym Posts: 151
    I also have a 2010 hatch, a GS with Nav. I am not that frequent of a phone user, but 10 or 20 calls over the one month I've had the car have all been acceptable. I have a Verizon LG ordinary flip phone which I keep in my front pants pocket. I have never yet had a phone call with anyone else when it was they driving my car not me (it is my car after all). Sorry, don't know what to advise -- except, don't take no for an answer!
  • kmoenkmoen Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply!

I'm hearing the bluetooth in the cars with Nav is a different type/model. I actually think this is the issue, as when I test drove one with nav, I had a great bluetooth experience... and now, not so much :)

I'm going back on Saturday and having someone stay with them while I call their cell from the car.

Guess I should have splurged for the one with nav package, after all! Who knew?
  • Haven't had any issues with the Bluetooth and I too do not have Nav. However sometimes i can hear a bit of static and I find when i move the phone out of the cup colder and put in the cubby by the left drivers knee that the static seems to go away. hope this helps.
  • smallcar1smallcar1 Posts: 76
    Is there a big difference in real world use of the MPG, acceleration and ride. I was able to rent a 3i automatic and in 80 miles (70 highway, 10 city with light traffic) and got 37 MPG. Can't rent an S in NYC and the dealers only give a short test drive and won't allow a highway test.

It seems from the MPG threads that although the sticker says the s only gets 2MPG less that many with the AT get poor mileage.

Is the s model's ride substantially different and for highway merging and passing is it significantly better than the i?
    my own car is a 2010 3s 6MT I've now owned for 6 weeks. My driving is mostly urban/suburban, 5 miles on streets, then 15 miles at freeway speeds, which for me are usually about 70. My trip computer "average mpg" has stayed steadily between 26 and 27 mpg. I came out of an Integra GS-R so I didn't even consider the 3i (plus I hate sedans). The 3s has pleasantly surprised me at how fast it feels, almost as fast as the GS-R and not nearly as frantic about it. The 3s's ride seems quite firm to me, and I like it a lot. I'd suggest taking that short test drive in a 3s to decide about ride and power, and decide which way you want based on that. You can still buy a lot of gasoline with the money you don't spend on a car you don't like.
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    edited April 2010
    According to the Hamilton Spectator newspaper:
    "The all-new 2011 Mazda2 will arrive in Canadian showrooms in early summer with a starting manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) of C$13,995".

p.s. I wish someone at Edmunds would create a separate folder for the Mazda2
    This is a message to pf flyer the host of this forum: Can a separate forum be created for the upcoming Mazda2? There is lots of interest in this model and it would be a shame if the discussion was buried (as it is now in the Mazda3 forum).
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,870
    Once the car launches and isn't a "future vehicle", it will get a group of its own.

But for now, you probably want to get in on the Mazda2 discussion over on the future vehicles board. ;)

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Thanks Bob! :)

I
    My 2010 MZ3 5 door, assembled in Apr 2009, had one of the attachment nuts for the rear spoiler (the "visor" thing) come loose, staying invisible but loose inside the hatchback frame. It would slide up and down "ssshhhh...clack" when I raised and lowered the hatch, some of the time. (other times, it stayed wedged in place). Got a warrantee fix today at the dealer; they promised they put LocTite on it this time. I suppose it wouldn't be that hard to fix yourself but I didn't want to risk plastic interior panel damage on such a new car, yanking off all the attachment clips to get at it.
  • mtenamtena Posts: 58
    We took delivery of our non-Nav iTouring sedan last week and have been pleased with the Bluetooth experience thus far. We've paired our two iPhones to the Mazda3 and call quality has generally been good (taking into account ambient road noise, etc.). We've actually been pleasantly surprised with the audio quality that comes through the iPod portion of the iPhone. Sounds just like a CD to me, with our Bose system that came with the car (along with moonroof). We'll share our other experiences as we put more miles on the car.
  • diehard080diehard080 Posts: 19
    Thats interesting - I use that change slot / feed area for the code reader also to store my cell phone - it seems to be a good spot . I dont have any experience with the navi/bt system versus non-navi( long term anyway) but people who own both report similar experiences . I decided that the advanced Key/Mimi-Navi/siris/perimeter alarm pac was unnecesacary for my ultimate needs. I would use the navi possibly 1-2xs per year and god knows I dont need my key to let me just grab the door - nice but I got the S-GT HB and I have enough gadgets and the more you get the more you need to maintain down the line.
    ;) But the BT issue --sometimes I have a phone ringing and the the radio pops back on then I get a connection and the person I called is saying "hello" " hello" --so theres sometimes a glitch but it works ultimately !! If you have a weak provider and a baseline phone then you get issues that relate directly to conectivity and thats NOT the cars fault . I know because I use VZ and my wife has ATT with a terrible LG and she always has disconnects and I have had 1 in 3 months . So it has at least 50% to do with carrier/equipment and location where your service is - I sell Mazdas and I was with Porsche /Audi and Mercedes-Benz and the same problems existed ---its still a relatively new technology with a lot of ansulary factors that need to be worked out on all systems . For now - we have at the least a working system thats safe- K
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    @diehard
    BT is 16 year old technology and is pretty cut and dry in terms of how it works. Yeah, it's not ancient like GPS but it's still late 20th century technology.
    I know I'm a bit behind here, but, lemme see if I can help...

First, Verizon is having problems with their Bluetooth phones. This is not just a problem relegated to Mazda. If you have a Verizon phone, especially a Blackberry, there are connection problems.

To be clear, this is a problem between Verizon and Bluetooth. It has nothing to do with Mazda.
  • dilbertsdubdilbertsdub Posts: 16
    Amazingly what little bluetooth issues I had previously seem to have been eradicated by the switch to another provider ,T-mobile, albeit with the new google nexus one, which seems to have a much stronger signal for both call reception and data. No more static and no more having to move the phone around in different locations trying to get a better reception from the bluetooth. I notice that when picking up an incoming call sometimes you may have to say hello twice before the call actually connects. Dialing out doesn't seem to have any issues whatsoever.

On a side note i've got 10,000 miles on my vehicle, one door ding (at least its on the fender crease which seems to hide it better) and only one unusual quirk that I can't manage to replicate.

The unusual quirk occurred one rainy day when I happened to be driving quite briskly home and took a short cut road that involves two back to back very sharp turns. (right, then left)

Suffice to say the traction control was activated but it was during the last turn when I mashed the gas pedal a bit too much and had the traction control flash at me for minor (minor being less than 1 full second) wheelspin that it stayed completely lit along with the steering malfunction indicator light. When I got to the next stop light, i turned off the car and then quickly re-started and all lights went back to normal. It has never done this since then even though my driving habits are no better (or worse) now.

Have a great Memorial day weekend!
  • saaksaak Posts: 9
    I notice that the 2010 Mazda 3i sedans have undergone a mid-year redesign of the front fascia. The front fascia of the sedan i trims now look identical to the sedan s trims. Does anyone know why the change was made? To simplify production? Or to simplify fog light installation?
    saak
  • anayaelfanayaelf Posts: 8
    I have used the bluetooth in my 2010 Mazda 3 sedan a few times and I haven't had any problems hearing anyone or having them hear me. I keep the phone in the cupholder between the seats to make sure there is a good reception between the phone and bluetooth. I don't know if you do the same. I don't have nav in my car either so I hope this helps.