Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Mazda3

Comments

• jbbeveljbbevel Posts: 25
    Not sure about the i Touring... I have the Sport Hatchback and the illumination of the door handles (including the windows, and mirror adjustment) is done by a cool blue light that lights up at night. It's easy to see, and gives a very cool effect. There's also a directed blue light that lights up my manual stick shift... It's very cool.
  • I thought I was just a few days from buying a new Mazda 3, but now I'm not so sure.

I've read that JD Power & Associates rates the Mazda 3 as being much less reliable than some of the other cars I'm considering (e.g., Corolla, Civic).

I also just read an article that came out today that Mazda is among the worst in terms of a recent customer satisfaction survey.

Yet, this car seems to get great reviews everywhere. Are the reviewers weighing performance and other factors much more heavily than reliability? This is not the way I'd prioritize things as a long-time Toyota guy who can't seem to get a fair price on a Corolla these days. Is there some sort of bias against Mazda in the way they came up with the ratings?

Thanks.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    I don't know how they could possibly be rating reliability, since it is a brand new model.

Car review generally are not about "reliability" at all. As far as I know CR is the only one that considers that in their recomendations, but even there it has nothing to do with how they rank the vehicles it's just that they will not recommend a car unles it gets at least an average rating on their reliability surveys.
  • Yeah, I can't imagine that these ratings would be based on the 2010's. Still, if the ratings are so low based on prior years' experience, I'm a bit hesitant to buy without knowing why.

Just out of curiosity, do you know where this car stands with respect to CR's recommendation?
    The hatchback was just reviewed in the august issue. It was ranked 6th, among
    "small wagons and hatchbacks".
    Ahead of it were:
    Mazda5 Touring
    Volkswagen Rabbit S
    Toyota Prius Touring (2009)
    Volkswagen Jetta SE (2.5)
    Hyundai Elantra Touring

They also listed predicted reliability as above average.
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    As others have mentioned here, Consumer Reports is the best place for auto reliability information. They have the largest user base and they have been doing their surveys for decades. J.D. Power provides more limited information; for example their initial quality survey covers the first 90 days of ownership.

The Mazda3 is one of the most reliable cars one can buy. There are, of course, caveats. Any new model is more prone to reliability issues than a model that has been around for a number of years. Since this model year is new for both the Toyota Corolla and Mazda3, you may consider waiting until the bugs are ironed out from a new model year. For more information, consult Consumer Reports.

Other important factors you may want to consider in comparing these vehicles are fuel efficiency and resale value, if you are planning to sell the car in the future. Mazda3 has good but not great fuel efficiency; the Corolla is better, the Civic Hybrid best. From a resale point of view the dynamic duo, Toyota and Honda, still reign supreme.
  • bgfbgf Posts: 3
    The Mazda3 is supposed to be a fun car. If I want to save gas alone, I'd walk or ride my bike for short trips. :)

I think we have beaten the MPG to death. Backy can by the Rogue or Corolla. :)
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Mazda3 has good but not great fuel efficiency;

How funny everyone forgets that the Mazda3 i has a 25/33 mpg rating with MORE power then Corolla and Civic. Last I checked, a 25/33 rating is not considered "not great".

Please, do not bring up the Mazda3 s either, it gets the same fuel economy as the Corolla S and has more power then the Corolla S.

As for resale, the Mazda3 is on par with the Corolla and Civic.

MAZDA3 GETS GOOD FUEL ECONOMY!!!!! PERIOD, END OF CONVERSATION!!!!!!!! GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT!!!!!!!!!!
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 790
    Consumer Reports is also a great source of real fuel economy ratings! Based on their tests, here's a look at the Mazda3 and some competitors-

City/Highway/Overall Average (all tested on the same roads, same speed, etc.)

Corolla LE 4AT - 23/40/32
    Civic EX 5AT - 18/43/28
    Mazda3 i 5AT- 21/39/28
    Hyundai Elantra GLS 4AT- 18/36/27
    Nissan Sentra 2.0S CVT- 18/34/26
    Ford Focus SES 4AT- 18/35/26
    Mitsubishi Lancer ES CVT- 17/34/25

So the Corolla is the champ of them all by 4mpg overall...but you should also factor in the co-pay for the anti-depressant you'll be needing very soon!
    The Mazda3 i is a match for the Civic overall at 28mpg; and the Civic does a bit better on the highway, but the MZ3 is quite a bit better in the city! The Elantra, Sentra, Focus and Lancer all trail behind the top three.

Obviously the Mazda3 s isn't quite as fuel efficient as the 2.0L 148hp i model. But compared to other models with engines of similar size and/or power, it's very competitive-

Toyota Matrix S 5AT- 19/35/26 (2.4L 158hp)
    Mazda3 s Sport 5AT- 17/34/25 (2.5L 170hp)
    VW Rabbit S 6AT – 16/32/24 (2.5L 170hp)
    Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4AT- 17/31/24 (2.5L 170hp)

As for resale value, the Mazda3 depreciates less than any other Mazda vehicle. I have been very surprised at how well my 2006 Mazda3 s 5-door has held its value, especially since I had only owned Hondas in the past!

According to the Edmunds TCO depreciation projections, the Civic, Corolla and Mazda3 will be will be worth the following percentage of their original cost:

Civic LX-S 5AT- 65.4%
    Toyota Corolla XLE 4AT- 64.8%
    Mazda3 i Touring 5AT- 66.0%

Considering that projections have some margin of error, I think it's fair to say that any difference in residual values will be immaterial! Note- I chose the specific trim levels above because their purchase prices were the closest ($19,358-$19.836). A Civic EX is almost identical at 66.1%, while a Corolla LE drops 2.6% to 62.2%...

Now I've done way too much math for an early Sunday morning and I need a nap. :P
    MAZDA3 GETS GOOD FUEL ECONOMY!!!!! PERIOD, END OF CONVERSATION!!!!!!!!

Agreed. Good ... not great fuel economy. As consumers let's continue to demand that auto manufacturers do better here. Bumping up the horsepower and keeping the same fuel economy is not an improvement; my 2002 Mazda Protege5 has the same rating (25mpg) as the 2010 Mazda3 s. Toyota is on its 3rd generation of Prius, Honda has produced a hybrid Civic. Mazda's response seems out of step with the times. On the other hand, I welcome the arrival of the lighter Mazda2!
  • creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    Mazda2?

We'll get "the better Mazda2" soon: (hint: it's the winner in this 4-car comparison test) :P

4th http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/grouptests/241339/vw_polo_se_16_tdi_75.h- - tml

3rd http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/grouptests/241327/mazda_2_sport_16d.html- -

2nd http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/grouptests/241333/renault_clio_dynamique- - _15_dci_86.html

1st http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/grouptests/241336/ford_fiesta_zetec_16_t- - dci.html

http://newsletter.autoexpress.co.uk/c/15fiph2HIqsAVzq1ZFJ

Yes, in the cheap world w/o multi-link rear suspension, it's hard to find a car that rides smoother than the Mazda2 while providing more steering feel.

By the way, '02's EPA mpg is not as conservatively rated as in recent years.
    "the better Mazda2"
    Interesting article. Mazda2, Ford Fiesta, Renault Clio, VW Polo ... wouldn't it be a treat to have all of these choices?

By the way, '02's EPA mpg is not as conservatively rated as in recent years.
    Agreed, that's why I prefer Consumer Reports ratings. According to CR there has been no improvement in the combined highway/city mileage of the current Mazda3 s over my 2002 Mazda Protege5.
    If you look at the MPG on fueleconomy.gov, they have adjusted the older figures to estimate what they would be under the new protocol. This shows a 3 mpg improvement for the Mazda3 over a 2002 Protege.
  • creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    My 2000 Civic gets the worst mpg, b/c I couldn't stand it's lack of low-end thrust. So I kept revving everytime I accelerate!

My '98 Corolla gets even better mpg than my '90 Protege DOHC (36mpg cruising on the fwy), not just the hwy top-gear low-rpm gearing (good for at least 40mpg cruising on the fwy). But its power below 2000rpm is locomotive strong, more so than my Focus ST's 2.3, which is already a Mazda 2.3 engine retuned with extra low-end torque! So I usually upshift my Corolla just past 2000rpm. & even when passing other cars in the traffic, I almost never have to rev past 2900rpm!
    This shows a 3 mpg improvement for the Mazda3 over a 2002 Protege.

While boasting more power, don't forget.
    If you look at the MPG on fueleconomy.gov, they have adjusted the older figures to estimate what they would be under the new protocol. This shows a 3 mpg improvement for the Mazda3 over a 2002 Protege.

Partially true: compared to my 2002 Mazda P5 2L automatic, the 2010 Mazda3 automatic gets 27 combined for the 2L and 25 for the 2.5L which means the improvement in fuel economy is between 1 and 3 mpg. This represents in 8 years a slight change in fuel economy (from 24 mpg to 25 is negligible; from 24 to 27 is a little over 10%).

My point is rather than boosting the engine size for its 2010 Mazda3 to 2.5L Mazda could have chosen to significantly improve its fuel economy (by for example reducing the weight of the car). Let's see compacts under 3000 pounds and above 30 mpg; even better how does 35 or 40 mpg sound! Mazda knows how to improve its vehicles: see the newest "light weight" M5 (Miata) at the Frankfurt Auto show.
    Yes, I was only comparing the ones with the same engine, the 2L.
    creakid1-

Mazda confirmed last week that the Mazda2 is coming to the U.S. and Canada in late 2010.

The North American spec Mazda2 will be shown at the L.A. Auto Show, which is in December.
    Let's see compacts under 3000 pounds and above 30 mpg

Here's an interesting excerpt from Don Romano, head of Mazda Canada, which talks about Mazda's strategy for the immediate future including how it will respond to consumer and government demands for better fuel efficiency including weight reduction in vehicles. Bravo to Mr. Romano and Mazda!

"While the tough economy we are experiencing attacks the automotive industry on one flank, on the other side of the battlefield is the challenge posed by new government regulations to improve fuel economy and reduce carbon emissions. Mazda's environmental "Sustainable Zoom Zoom" strategy was announced in the fall of 2007. It is based on the assumption that for the rest of this decade, and probably most of the next decade, the vast majority of vehicles sold around the world will be powered by an internal combustion engine. Consequently, Mazda's approach is to make every vehicle it builds as environmentally friendly as possible - as well as fun to drive. Therefore, in the short term we will concentrate on making our gasoline and diesel engines as fuel efficient as possible. Beginning in 2011, Mazda will introduce a new generation of powertrains that, along with improvements in vehicle design and weight reduction, will see an improvement in fuel efficiency of 30 per cent compared to current vehicles. Current test results done on prototype engines indicate that Mazda will meet this objective when the new powertrains are introduced in mass-production vehicles."

Published in the Montreal Gazette Saturday Sept. 19, 2009
  • hey aviboy97 -

I was reading through the posts and I saw where you said that you thought the gunmetal blue color would sell well. How is that color selling?

I'm trying to decide which color I like the most and was just wondering which colors have been the most popular? I wanted to see the copper red in person but haven't been able to find one. How does it look in person?