Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Chevy Equinox

Comments

• rocketentrocketent Posts: 60
    OK, probably a stupid question, but I've always had a pick up and have never carried anything on the roof before. I've got a 2010 Nox LT with roof rails, but no cross bars.

Does anything exist that fits into the roof rails, like the cross bars do, but is designed to carry surfboards? I've seen a lot of surfboard carriers that fit on the cross bars, but this is not what I want.

Also, anyone with experience care to make a recommendation?

Thanks,
  • rhouser2rhouser2 Posts: 114
    is the 2.4 engine used in the 2010 nox a brand new engine, or does it have roots to the 2.2 eco tech? i work for the postal service and our delivery vehicles have the 2.2 ecotech engine in the and they don/t seem to stand up very well. i do realize that they are working in some very tough conditions, such as driven very short distances and then turned off. in the winter time they never run long enough to to get the engine warm enough to get heat from the heater. i like the idea of good fuel mileage. but am curious about durability.
    on a side note, have any of you traded a 1 generation NOX/torrent for a 2010 NOX/terrain? if you have how do they compare in ride,cabin noise and seat comfort? we have an 06 torrent and am thinking of replacing it with a 2010 NOX. would like to hear your personal experiences.
    thanks for your time
    Richard
  • wallyuwlwallyuwl Posts: 166
    I believe the Nox engine is a totally new engine for GM. I do know it is different than the 2.4 in the Malibu (that is not direct injection). With this engine the only thing is that because it is DI it is probably well advised to get "fuel injection cleanings" every 25k miles at least due to the lack of fuel washing over the intakes. I'm talking the ones you get done at a repair shop, not just the bottle you put in your gas tank (dealers usually charge $120 or so, places like Sears and Tires Plus about $80, and Oreilly Auto Parts has a "do it yourself" kit made by 3M for $50). I can't comment on how the new Nox compares to the previous generation.
  • ems1ems1 Posts: 48
    I didn't have a 1st generation Nox but did have a '03 Vue and an '06 Vue and traded the '06 Vue in December '09. I now have over 10,000 miles on the Nox 2.4 and can definitely say it is like night and day. The wind and road noise is much lower. The fuel mileage 5-6 miles better than the '03 Vue (2.2) and '06 Vue (3.5). Build quality much better. Seat comfort much better. Power is not as good as the 3.5 Honda engine in the '06 Vue but on the crowded roads it does not make much difference. The 2.4 is completely adequate.
    The Nox has been trouble free so far. Not one trip back to the dealer. I just did the second oil change this morning.Very easy, love the cartridge filter. No mess and I'm not throwing as much waste in the landfill. Only thing that bothers me a bit is the chrome latch on the dash bin. It reflects light in my eye on occasion. I was going to take it off and paint it flat black but the wife vetoed that idea. She likes it chrome.
    Go for the 2010 Nox, You will be happy with the huge improvement.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    Its my understanding up through last year the 2.4 engine of old was made in a foreign country, want to say China but for the Nox the 2.4 is different and produced in North America.
  • roho1roho1 Posts: 317
    I was told the 2.4L 4 cylinder engine is made in Springhill, Tennessee for the Equinox.
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 642
    Any way you look at it, the Equinox engines (both the 4 and the 6) are underpowered.

If GM is under the government gun to produce inadequately powered vehicles, then it is a matter of time before they become uncompetitive.

The company will not go out of business because they are underwritten now by the taxpayer but they will not produce vehicles the market desires. They will simply become yet another unprofitable government enterprise, sapping the economic life blood out of the American citizenry.

GM must become competitive in the free market and get out from under the shackles of an ideological regime if it is to truly prosper.
  • roho1roho1 Posts: 317
    What does where the engine is built have to do with your political opinion?

The market definitely wanted a better mpg SUV of the NOX's size. There may be cheap gas now but when it goes back to over $4/gal and higher this engine will be in demand not some overpowered gas guzzling V6-V8.
    Ahhh...Priggly.

GM can't produce enough Equinoxes. They are in very high demand. Looks like the market has spoken. But don't let facts get in the way of your rants.

Like roho said, there is high demand for a medium sized SUV that gets good mileage even if it's towing capabilities are inferior to something like an Explorer. Even the 4 cyl Equinox is fine in power for 80%+ of those who would be the target market for a vehicle like the Nox.

For the record: I'm not happy with the the US and Canadian govts., and unions, owning so much of GM. But it shouldn't cloud one's judgment about the actual vehicles.
  • pack3pack3 Posts: 2
    edited August 2010
    Has anyone experienced a problem with the rear windows? I have a 2010 1LT, 4-cylinder, front wheel drive. This past winter the rear passenger went down but would not go up. This happened twice and fortunately once at the dealers service dept. I told them I saw the window rock in the track, they “realigned the window and lubricated it. Have not had the problem with that window again. Yesterday the same thing happened to the rear driver window. Dealer said no service bulletin on it. Anyone else with this problem?

Have experienced sticky power steering. Ohio turnpike on cold winter evenings returning from son’s home. Have not noticed this in warm weather.
  • chop6chop6 Posts: 7
    I had to have both of my back windows motor replaced on my 2010 LTZ within a few months of each other. They would go down but had one heck of a time trying to get them back up. Took it to the dealer and they were wonderful and each time replaced the motor on both sides. So far no problem with them. knock on wood. :shades:
  • I haven't had any problems with the rear windows, but I really don't use them very often at all.

But I do have the issue with the "sticky" power steering. This seems to be a fairly common complaint with the electric power steering on the Equinox. (And, I've seen similar comments about some other vehicles with electric power steering.) Overall, it seems like more of an annoyance than any kind of major safety issue or anything.
  • dave8697dave8697 Posts: 1,498
    this entire comment is about chasing 1/5 of one percent of a problem and acting like you are doing something meaningful.

22.77 million Americans work for the vastly inefficient government

.075 million Americans work for GM

GM is at least 10 times more efficient than the government.

You cannot measure the cost of GM's required but missing efficiency on a scale that measures real problems in this country's wasteful economics.
  • boxllcboxllc Posts: 1
    I have read a lot of the messages in this forum and most of them are critical of the Equinox. I understand all makes and models have problems arise with their vehicles and some of these complaints are valid. Let me say this - my wife drives a 2010 Equinox LTZ and I drive a 2011 LT 2. We are both homecare nurses in a rural area and drive 35,000 to 40,000 K a year, she is 5'3" and I am 6'3", the front power seat and the tilt/telescope wheel will allow any size person to be comfortable. Neither car has ever hesitated, stalled, shifted hard and my antenna has never hit anything. I purchase 2 new vehicles for our jobs every 3 years and these 2 are the best we have ever had regardless of price. We both average about 28 MPG with a combination of city and highway driving. I highly recommend these vehicles to anyone.
  • chop6chop6 Posts: 7
    I had this happen on my 2010 Equinox to both back windows. The dealer stated it was the motor and replaced the motors on both back windows . I have not had a problem since then. :shades:
  • Exactly...well said!!
    It is, overall, a very nice vehicle and a good value. But it has problems, mostly software related. Those should be easy to get fixed - it is just a matter of GM first realizing the problem(s), and then fixing them. Them realizing the problems is probably the biggest hurdle.

There is still also the issue of deposits forming on the valves in the engine because of the direct injection. This is not yet a known problem with the Equinox or Traverse, but they haven't been out long. Several other manufacturers have had problems with this. Hopefully GM's engine designs are better.
  • smithpesmithpe Posts: 13
    My 2010 Equinox had crossbars installed by the dealer. They are made by Perrycraft, Inc.; Adventura model. Maximun load is listed at 110lbs for both crossbars.
  • ragtop262ragtop262 Posts: 58
    edited October 2010
    For the first time in the 30,000+ miles I've owned my 4 cyl AWD Equuinox, I finally got the advertised highway mileage of 29 mpg on a 400 mile trip from DesMoines to Milwaukee. What was the trick?? - there was a 30 MPH tailwind behind me all the way :P

Actually, over 30,000 miles I'm averaging just under 24 MPG in a mix of about 75% highway/25% city driving.

and BTW - don't pay any attention to the fuel economy readout on the dash. Mine consistently reads 1.5 to 2 MPG higher than the actual mileage (calculated the old fashioned way - miles driven divided by gallons used).

(Still beats the heck out of the 18.5 mpg I was getting in the same mix of driving in the Mitsubishi Endeavor I had before this.)
  • I can't figure out how to stop the interior dash lights from dimming when I drive from sunlight to shade, like when I drive under an overpass. This is so counter intuitive to the way I drive. Example: I'm driving down the street on a bright sunny day, wearing my sunglasses, when I pass under a series of overpasses. The instrument panel dims and I can't see anything, cause I'm wearing my shades. I would rather the instrument panel get brighter, so I could see it in the virtual darkness that I've suddenly come under. I've read the manual (completely, I think) and turned the brightness knob on and off and turned the automatic head lights off, but nothing seems to change the dimming.
    What am I missing?
    Thanks,
  • Turn off the automatic headlight function. That will stop it.
  • As I said, I've tried turning off the automatic headlight function, but the interior dashboard display still dims when I go into a dark area. If that works for everyone else, then I have a problem.
  • Mike,

Do not know if you got this issue solved yet.

I also tow the Equinox behind a motorhome.

What I did was to thread the wiring in between the front fender and the body. The wiring fits fine in the door when I want to use it. I also found that I can pull the wiring back into the engine compartment when I am not towing.

I can send some pictures if you need.

Regards,
    Mike
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,306
    On my vehicles when the lights are dimmed to much due to the automatic thing, I just turn the dimmer switch up to bright setting, the lower it if its to bright at night.
  • Ok, I was turning off the auto light right before going into darkness and the interior lights would still dim, but turning them off well in advance they don't dim, so it probably takes a few seconds to take affect.
  • rocketentrocketent Posts: 60
    edited November 2010
    Me too! I haven't been resetting my average mph and mpg very much, since I mostly drive city miles, like average 20 mph, that yields about 22 mpg. Today I took a small trip on the freeway and reset the computer before I started out. Cruise control only, manually bumping up or down mph as needed. I think I braked about 4 times, which was the only pedal I touched. Then about 10% stop and go on surface streets.
    After the trip, the read out reported that I was getting 34.4 mpg, at an average speed of 59 mph.
    Not earth shattering, but it made me feel good.
    4Cyl - LT1
    I will point out to everyone that has complained about mileage that the EPA city mpg rating in the 4 cyl FWD 2010-11 Nox is 22 mpg. If you are driving all in the city, and getting 22 mpg, that is average one could expect (EPA ratings are averages).

I often get the advertised mpg or better in the city. And this city is bad for traffic with lots of stop and go, really long stop lights (some lights are literally 6 minutes long), lots of slamming brakes because of bad drivers, etc.

On the interstate I have never gotten 32 mpg. 28-29 is what I get normally at about 75 mph in our very hilly area. 32 seems very doable at 55-60 mph, especially in areas with flat land.
  • I loved almost everything about my 2010 Equinox. My major complaint was the slipping between 3rd and 4th and the loud clunking and thunking noise at least several times a week at 40 mph. I had my Equinox 2 weeks and took it into the shop with my complaint. In the long 6 months I owned it, I took it into the dealership shop 7 different times. They never could figure out the problem other than to say that Chevrolet considered these issues with the particular transmission in the Equinox to be normal. There is nothing normal about about taking off down the highway and on occassion when hitting 40 mph having the vehicle make a loud clunking noise and vibrate violently as if the transmission fell out of the car. I got no help from the dealership or Chevy. I am a Chev fan and am hoping that the 2011 Traverse I bought will not have any transmission issues. I've had it a week and so far so good. It is roomier and has much more power. The gas milaege isn;t bad either. I'm averaging 26 mpg which is only slightly less than I was getting in the Equinox.
  • willo3willo3 Posts: 4
    edited January 2011
    texanna99,

I had a similar issue with my seat belt but it was more like a squeaking sound. It was from the inside of the seat belt latch (facing me) rubbing against the seat. On one side of the buckle there was already a pad. I purchased some rather wide/long velcro, cut it down, and stuck the soft side of the velcro to the other side of the buckle and it worked like a charm. I discarded the coarse part of the velcro.

Hope that helps!
  • Thanks. That is a good idea and a more permanent one than my solution, which was to jam a piece of cloth between the buckle and the seat (which tends to slip down after some time). Not nearly as elegant as yours! I'll try the velcro fix this weekend.