Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Chevy Equinox

Comments

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,884
    "From its contemporary styling and class-leading features to its competitive pricing and miserly fuel economy, the 2010 Chevrolet Equinox is the right SUV for the times, and not a minute too soon for GM."

The Things That Buyers Want (Inside Line)

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• You liked it a little too much in my opinion - I drove one from Buffalo to Montreal and back...an LT 2 - brand new - all tire pressures set properly before the trip etc..The packaging is "okay" but a lot of craptastic finishes...Please note this is the same length as a Toyota Highlander without the benefit of the Highlander's width. A better comparo is a 4 cyclinder Hyundai Santa Fe...GM loves to compare vehicles that simply aren't the same size as the competition - ex. a Honda Pilot vs the Traverse with that [non-permissible content removed] Howie Long - the Traverse is nearly a foot longer - of course it holds more crap! The Nox is a bad value compared to the new 2.7L Highlander or the Santa Fe - even with all the neat standard features GM includes.

The biggest issue is - the Nox handles poorly (worse than the softly sprung Highlander) YET somehow manages to have a harsh ride on anything but perfect pavement. The worst of both worlds! Well done GM.

I drove conservatively with 2 people in the Nox and never got better than 26 mpg (granted it had 10 miles on the odo at the start of the trip). Not a 100% sure how this is a competitor to the CR-V or RAV4...It is still miles behind in refinement...
  • As usual even when they get something right,they can't get it right.Try to find a LS to test drive.
  • I've had my 4 cyl, FWD LS for about a month and a half and so far I'm very satisfied. I've been getting great gas mileage for a vehicle this size, up to 33.3 on the highway at 65 to 70 MPH. I drive a lot of rural 2 lane roads with small towns every few miles and have averaged a little better than 29 mpg. I have towed my small 14 foot aluminum boat with 20 HP motor a couple of times and really couldn't tell it was there. The FWD was great on the steep boat ramps, no slippage at all. I'm of average size, 5'9" and 165 pounds and the seats are the best that I've had. I have a friend that is 6'10" tall (yes 6'10") and he can enter & exit the front passenger seat with out any problem. If you keep it in the ECO mode there is a decrease in the acceleration but I have more time than money so it doesn't bother me to get to the next intersection a couple of seconds after someone who is in a hurry. The fit and finish is also very good, have not found any mistakes in either. The price was great, I traded in my 24 year old S-10 pickup that was starting to cost me money and wrote a check for $17,084.08, this included NC sales tax, registration and plates. Everything considered I'm very happy with the vehicle.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    Good review by Edmunds. The model pictured is real sharp, love it.
  • have my nox 1LT (L4) for one week. when standing outside, I find the noise from engine compartment is quite high...even much more noisy than my 03 malibu (V6). Is L4 engine suppose to be noisy :confuse: ? I didn't notice it when testing driving...will go to drive other nox at dealer this weekend.
  • wallyuwlwallyuwl Posts: 166
    Could be a couple thing you are noticing. Likely nothing is wrong. The first is that this engine can be a little louder, and sound different, than some other new engines because of the direct injection. If the noise you are talking about is specific to startup, you might be hearing the sound of the catalytic converter being heated up. For the first 20 seconds or so upon startup the vehicle heats it up so it works better faster to reduce emissions (a govt. regulation thing). They are coming out with a computer update (not sure when) to improve how it does this for those that are bothered by how it currently does it.
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Posts: 936
    How do you find the comfort level in you Nox? Is it better than ...say a mid size sedan?
  • Thanks wallyuwl. I did notice the startup noise decreases around 10-20 secs when sitting inside. The engine (or other mechanical stuff?) noise from the compartment doesn't reduce ever after the nox warms up. Maybe you are right that direct injection makes more noise. I'm going to compare other nox at the dealer.

BTW: dose anyone know how to tell if the active noise cancellation system works inside? I didn't find any clue in the manual.
  • It is very comfortable :) . I like the seat that really reliefs driving stress. the vehicle runs very stable. I feel the nox leans much less on freeway ramps than my 03 malibu.
  • I really love the comfort level of my Nox!
  • runoxrunox Posts: 153
    I'm 5'8", 185 and it seems the driver seat was carved for my backside. I can't imagine being more comfortable driving. 2nd, I like the wide open dash, no cramping here.
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 642
    I went for a test drive in a new LTZ six cylinder AWD Chevy Equinox this morning. I was not impressed.

First of all, the car is grossly underpowered. The engine struggled to effect acceleration and was noisy to boot. The car felt ponderous to drive, too heavy, sluggish, tippy.

Much has been made of how quiet the Equinox is but I found it to be just average. As mentioned above, acceleration was punctuated by a noisy drone to the engine.

The switches and cabin controls did not feel smooth or solid. They felt cheap and flimsy. This is very surprising because my 2006 Chevy Impala SS has very solid switches and controls. You would never think the vehicles were made by the same car company! Is this the result of government control of GM??!

The center console controls are too busy, very confusing and not ergonomic at all.

Overall, I did not find the vehicle to be satisfactory in any respect except appearance. It is badly underpowered. I can't imagine what the four cylinder iteration feels like under acceleration!
  • wallyuwlwallyuwl Posts: 166
    Definitely the minority opinion on this vehicle. It isn't a sports car, nor meant to be. We test drove all its direct competitors (Rav4, CRV, Escape, Tuscon, etc.) and the only one that was better in driving experience was the Rogue (Nox still has better accleration), but the Nox was better in many other regards so we went with it. With the govt. now having a majority stake, the vehicle itself had to be far superior to the competition. It is. With the new tranny cal., its a very nice vehicle, and larger than its competitors with better mileage. Still not sure how buttons are or are not ergonomic, ya just push em. :confuse:
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    ...Tuscon...

That would be Tucson! Having lived there, I might be a little oversensitive to the spelling. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • roho1roho1 Posts: 317
    Wow, grossly, ponderous, and punctuated. I can't image GM ever selling another Equinox based on that opinion.
    However, having checked one out myself it is on my short list. GM has a winner.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    Coming from a V8 Impala, of course the Equinox will feel underpowered. You are driving a car that is grossly overpowered (I know, I have driven one).

Your complaints on noise are also surprising given the wind noise in the Impalas. I suspect you are talking about the engine and again, you are likely comparing a V8 to a V6.

If you want something more comparable, look at the Traverse.
    There is NO wind noise in my Impala. Zero.
  • Could someone with an Equinox (17" tires) take a second and measure the floor to fully-opened height of the Equinox liftgate for me? None of the dealers in my area have a 2010 on their lot and GM's specifications don't mention it.

With a programmable option offered, I'm wondering if the standard liftgate will hit my garage door/opening.

Thank you in advance.
    I am not comparing the power of the Equinox six cylinder to my V-8 Impala. I am, rather, comparing it to the power of my 1997 four-cylinder Subaru Outback. Not exactly a speed demon!

The Equinox has 222 lb.-ft. or torque powering an approximately 4,000 lb. vehicle. Yes, it IS underpowered by any reasonable estimate.
  • drwilscdrwilsc Posts: 140
    Consumer Reports clocked the V6 Equinox 0-60 in 9.1 seconds, probably enough to keep up with traffic in normal driving situations but no stop light race car. As CR pointed out, it is not as fast as the 264 hp would suggest. I agree that problem is lack of torque in this relatively small 3 liter. GM would have been much better off offering their 3.6 liter engine in this vehicle, like they did in the later years of the previous generation.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    You may be in luck as the rear hatch is programable to open to different heights just for that reason.
  • I was under the impression that the "programmable feature" was only available with the power liftgate. My question concerns the manual liftgate. If anyone knows if you can program a height stop on the manual liftgate, please advise.

Thank you.
    GM would have been much better off offering their 3.6 liter engine in this vehicle, like they did in the later years of the previous generation.

That's the exact reason GM has been trashed by the economic community. GM is migrating to fuel efficiency and sustainability, even the MPG for the Camaro is up. No, for 99.9% of use, that and the 4cyl engine are
    a fine match for the target market.
    No, you cannot. You'll need to replace the piston with one that is shorter or tie a rope on it to shorten the maximum height.
  • That's what I thought. So, to reiterate my question: Is there someone out there with a 2010 Equinox (with 17" wheels) that could kindly measure the floor to fully open height of the liftgate for me?

Thank you.
  • The ground floor or the cargo floor? If I remember correctly, the highest point of the lift gate is the area around the chrome strip, which in my garage, comes about a sixteenth of an inch from the garage door opener mechanism. Yikes!

I'd measure it for you now, but the light in my garage has burned out. If no one else can do it, I'll do it tomorrow. Kind of curious myself.
  • Yep. Ground floor to top of liftgate. I'd appreciate it. I have searched everywhere on the Internet and haven't found it published anywhere. Some owners say that they are putting foam on their garage door frames, etc., but I'd have thought that somewhere in the GM testing, one would have tried to put one in a garage along the way.

Just checking to see if the liftgate will hit the door frame, the garage door, the door opener, the roof, the moon, etc.

Thanks.
    9.1 seconds is absolutely too slow. This is a serious detriment to the Equinox. I am in a four cylinder Outback now and have found it to be a good car overall except for its very slow acceleration figures. In real life it is absolutely too slow. So is the Equinox six cylinder, not to mention the four.

I would not consider the vehicle on this fact alone.

I will most likely acquire another Outback, this time the six cylinder which has more torque and a lot less weight than the LTZ six cylinder AWD Equinox. Too bad, because I really wanted to buy GM but their vehicle is just not competitive. The mileage figures are better for the six cylinder Outback as well compared to the six cylinder Equinox: 18/25 vs. 17/24.
  • 9.1 seconds is absolutely too slow.

=======================================

That is the slowest time I've heard for a V6 equipped model. Heck the I4 FWD is rated at that figure.

The V6 FWD is around 7.8 and AWD is 8.2 0-60. If you rely on CR for your information, then that's half the problem.

If you're looking for speed in an SUV then look elsewhere. The Chevy is not designed for drag races. It has more than adequate power with it's V6 but is not a NASCAR model.