Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Winter fuel mileage?

99grandamgt99grandamgt Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Pontiac
Does fuel mileage normally decrease during the
winter months? I have around 30,000 miles on my
1999 Grand Am GT and fanatically maintain it, using
only 5w-30 Mobil 1 synthetic every 3,000 miles. I
have done some intake and exhaust modifications to
improve performance, which in turn netted me an
increase in mileage to about 23 mpg in town.
However, now that winter has arrived here in
Colorado, my mileage has suddenly gone bye bye.
I'm lucky if I can get 18 mpg in town now. So I
ask again, does gas mileage ordinarally decrease
during winter? Also, they add ethynol to the gas
here in the winter to combat emisions. Does that
decrease mileage? I'm sort of frustrated, but my
car still runs awsome, and hasn't lost power or
driveability at all! I'm stumped.........

Comments

• alcannalcann Member Posts: 9
    Along with various other inputs, the engine control computer receives a signal from the coolant temp sensor. It uses this to richen the air/fuel mixture with a cold engine to improve cold driveability and throttle response (does the same job as the choke on carburetted engines). The colder the weather, the longer the ECM supplies a richer mixture than Lambda (14.7:1 air/fuel ratio). Increased fuel consumption in cold weather is normal, especially for short trip driving where the engine doesn't fully warm up.
  • chat_managerchat_manager Member Posts: 14
    TUESDAY, 11am-noonPT/2-3pmET

Detroit Editor John Clor will be our Special Guest. If you miss the chat, be sure and read our Chat Transcript a few days after the event!

Go to the Town Hall front page to access the chat and the chat transcripts:

http://townhall.edmunds.com/cgi-bin/townhall

CAR OWNERS BRACE FOR WINTER!
    Are you and your car prepared to survive the winter? Don't be caught off-guard this year. As a native of Detroit, John knows a thing or two about the havoc winter can create in potentially damaging your vehicle, as well as safety tips for traveling the freezing freeways. He's here to give you tips on winterizing your car...keeping yourself and your car hazard-free!

Dana S. Livingston
    Chat Manager
    Town Hall
    Edmunds.com
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    In Denver (and some other places), our gas is oxygenated in the winter to burn cleaner. This usually reduces my mileage about 10% from Nov.-April, until they switch back to regular gas.
This discussion has been closed.