Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Hyundai Genesis Initial Quality and Issues

Please tell us of any issues you've had with initial quality after taking delivery of your Hyundai Genesis. Any dealership issues when rectifying the problem?

Comments

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hmm... have you purchased a Genesis? Did you have any issues?
  • stancostanco Posts: 27
    There are major defects in both design and execution of the suspension on the Genesis 6/tech model w/18" wheels. it is bouncy and uncontrollable on undullating
    highways not just back rough roads.
    I advised both service and GM, 3 weeks no response from dealer.
    contacted Hyundai customer relations,We'll get back to you in Korean means "you will never hear from us again"

I am curious why the major model discussed is Azera not Genesis don't they have their own blog group ?
    I will start mine own Genesis Owners Club to get response and help for unhappy owners.
  • Many Azera people mention their problems because it seems the Genesis is following the same course that the Azera did. Also, most of us would be interested in a Genesis if there was not a suspension issue such as the one in our Azeras. Of course, Azera has been on the market for three years and there are a lot more of them out there and with sizeable mileages.
    Write to the CEO in California and call the customer service number in the owner's manual.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    The Azera has been around a lot longer, of course. But this is a Genesis group for owners and anyone interested. Click on that link to see the list of discussions.
    What you're saying is Azera has suspension issues 3 years never resolved and it appears
    Genesis has major suspension issues. Bottomline Hyundai has no intention of satisfying either one of us, without litigation. FYI I have gotten to worthless "customer service" and written to CEO, He too may be indited and be on house arrest as is his boss and bosses boss.

what a shame, I can afford to dump this car, but not before I hurt Hyundai for my loss, times a thousand fold !!
  • rv65rv65 Posts: 1,074
    http://cid-5103094dcbb8400e.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Genesis%20TSB%200- 8-01-019.pdf

Here is the DIS tsb which applies to tech package. If you are having problems with the DIS then go to the dealer and get this done. Thats if you're vin falls in to that range.
  • jeffaljeffal Posts: 28
    Based on what I have read on other Genesis forums, owners have experienced the following problems:

1. Rough ride over tar strips and rough roads (suspension/standard tire issues?)

2. Car pulls to one side while driving on the highway (alignment issues?) Hyundai issued a TSB to correct the alignment specs for the Genesis

3. The heating/cooling vents for the rear passengers does not blow cold air. Only hot air.

4. Trouble opening the fuel door. Takes several pushes of the button to open the fuel door. Some owners have said they had to go in the trunk and open the fuel door manually, but someone posted that Hyundai has a fix for this. Contact your dealer for more info.

5. Water leaking into the trunk. This apparently is a design issue and cannot be fixed without redesigning the trunk. If your car has been sitting out in the rain and you open the trunk all the water sitting on top of your trunk will drip down to the inside of your trunk. I recall having this same problem in my 97 Geo Metro. The easiest fix is to buy a rubber cargo tray for the trunk so the carpeting does not get wet.

6. Slight buzzing sound briefly coming from behind the dash after pushing the Start/Stop button. (This might be normal operation)

7. Other random software updates to fix software glitches with XM, Nav, etc.
  • rlejr66rlejr66 Posts: 44
    I've had my V8 for about three weeks. No major issues at all. Rides as expected and gas mileage is as expected using regular fuel. The only issues I have found are a missing rubber piece in the front armrest, and an interesting black film on the wheels. The missing rubber piece creates a unbalanced armrest and a rattle when I put my elbow on it. Probably a .25 piece (that will cost $10) that I will have looked at whenever I take the car in for service. Also a curious black film on the wheels which I could not remove when I washed the car using a well respected wheel cleaner. Not sure what it is. Looks a little like baked on brake dust. Something else I will have Hyundai investigate. But I imagine that one will not be one Hyundai will be willing to do anything about. Unless other folks are complaining.
  • elsi1elsi1 Posts: 2
    I have a Genesis with the Tech/Nav system. When the are more than one audio CD loaded the changer will not automatically advance to the next audio CD when the previous one is complete. The dealer said the player is designed to be advanced manually so that a DVD could not automatically be played while driving down the road. I do not find the logic or sense in that explanation. Is anyone else having this problem? Can anyone explain why the system would be designed so that the CDs would not automatically advance?..Thanks
    Welcome to Hyundai service program - although there were many complaints directed to the poor suspension. final determination-case closed-considered normal !
    Recently had rear sensor remain on, dealer said clean the sensors [did many times].
    He solved it by shutting switch and telling me OK
    I switched dealers due to incompetent service,but forced to return as they will not reimburse new dealer for warranty work.
    By the way, if you have early tech 6 without finished trunk speaker cover complain
    repeatedly and with luck it will be put in n/c.
    In closing I find Hyundai service untrained,unskilled, with a broad lack of knowledge
    with the Genesis in all respects !

PS. tell me why every time you put in gas MPG restarts ?? told normal??
  • kenb757kenb757 Posts: 149
    Definitely NOT the next Lexus.
  • richt5richt5 Posts: 43
    You all probably know , but Hyundai's plan requirements for its dealerships selling Genesis was to have a separate area to sell and service the cars ( read separated from other models). Plus, to have certified employee's to sell and service Genesis.If this is not happening shame on Hyundai and it will hurt the car. Though , always some dealers are better than others. A bad dealer can really hurt the product, too bad some people get caught up in this.Here in central Florida , some Hyundai dealers dont even advertise the Genesis , though they have the cars in stock. Seems they have little interest in selling the Genesis. I dont understand. Seems to be a very nice car. I would buy one.
  • keithlkeithl Posts: 106
    I keep hearing about the V6 Tech trucnk being fully lined on newer cars, but my dear juct got one in this last week and still see the bottom of rear shelf, no lining. This sounds more like a myht that reality.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Westerville, OhioPosts: 371
    I have two words for you my friend: Spell Check.
    Call Hyundai and complain, they should put it in no charge ,no myth
  • bocatripbocatrip Posts: 194
    I too heard of a customer totally outraged when the speaker was not covered in his trunk. The dealer had it repaired prompto.
  • rk2469rk2469 Posts: 30
    Gosh.. sorry that you are having problems. it sucks. Most car owners do not have problems. But when you get one of those cars, it sucks. It sucks bad. It ruins everything. My Azera has been remarkably good. I had zero problems so far.

My Azera doesn't have alignment issue, the first time this ever happen to me. I always had alignment issue but with Azera, none!

My Azera drives like the first day I bought this car. This has been remarkable Hyundai experience. Exceeds my previous car ownership experiences.
  • rk2469rk2469 Posts: 30
    I think you might have to forgive Hyundai for some of their sub par Hyundai dealerships. It maybe hard to go from Low-end/cheap car selling techniques to Lexus car selling techniques. Imagine the small semi-professional used car dealership selling Genesis. Well, that's what is happening.

Other may argue that Hyundai needs new dealerships but I think that's assuming that the consumer will not know the "Genesis" isn't Hyundai and they will some how value Genesis better than Hyundai because the "brand" switch.

People need to remember that the "Sonata", "Azera", and "Santa Fe" are brands themselves. As such, Hyundai "Genesis" is its own brand. I think... as such... there are Genesis and Genesis Coupe.

So, going back to my original point, I would recommend people to shop different Hyundai dealerships as it seems that their service quality isn't uniformed. Even for the mechanical service, I would shop different dealerships.
  • carolinabobcarolinabob Posts: 495
    It does get confusing, but technically Sonata, Azera, Genesis, etc. are models, not brands. Hyundai, Toyota, Ford, etc. are makes (brands). This is the way most insurance companies and DMV's classify automobiles.

Regardless, the dealership situation is of great concern. There are four within 50 miles of me in northwest SC, which is good. My local dealer is good for regular service, but come in with a problem and it is deny it, refer it to district guy and agree when he denies it.
  • bobadbobad Posts: 1,587
    My local dealer is good for regular service, but come in with a problem and it is deny it, refer it to district guy and agree when he denies it.

Do you own a Genesis now? If not, how do you know this?