Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Hyundai Genesis Initial Quality and Issues

Comments

• toyetoye Posts: 351
    I didn't even think of it as a warrenty issue until I saw the same problem on another forum. It looked just like dirt on the paint but after trying to cleaning and buffing it out,The line wouldn't come out.
  • bocatripbocatrip Posts: 194
    edited May 2010
    This forum began in Ocbober of 2008 listing quite a few fairly significant defects and flaws in the 2009 Genesis. In other forums I have also noticed numerous issues from the notorious early suspension problems to mostly electronic flaws with the radio amplifiers, steering wheel tilt resetting, and a zillion TSBs covering different issues. This forum has been relatively quiet for the last 3 months. Are all the problems resolved or is there just a loss of interest here? I know that Hyundai is doing well selling these cars. I have been interested in purchasing a 2010 or 2011 V8 with Tech, but after reading so much bad press, I am waiting for a significant improvement in quality control or will be abandoning ship.
    For the most part the Genesis has been problem free except a few minor complaints here and there. They changed the suspension issue in the spring of 2009 and even less complaints for the 2010 model. I've had very problems with mine as the back camera malfunction and it turned out to be a loose wire as I shut the trunk harder than most. So far its been a joy to own!!!!!
    edited May 2010
    I've been noticing more complaints about the V8 over the V6. Even consumer reports gives the 2009 V6 above average reliability while giving the 2009 V8 average reliability. I'm going to assume the reason for this is that the V8 has even more standard options over the V6 which can give way to more electrical issues. Regardless, I'm hoping that 2010 shows a vast improvement.
  • I compare the ride on my Genesis to a previous VW Phaeton, and that comparison may be unfair, but I also compare the ride to a currently owned 2006 Passat, and the Passat has a BETTER marriage of compliance and cornering than the Genesis. No doubt. The Phaeton had a dream ride, but the cornering was not good because of it's weight.

But I have had a 2010 Genesis V6 now for 3750 miles, and I truly believe the suspension has improved with time, suggesting some break in. Compliance is better. I have 18 inch wheels, and regretted that wheel decision for the first 1500 miles, but I am getting used to the ride, as well. On bad roads, the jitter is still unacceptable, and I really hope Hyundai gets around to matching the suspension of the mid range Passat. However, the Passat suspension/cornering compromises blows that of the Honda Accord away. That level of sophistication may be hard to match. Still, the Genesis grows on me with time. Have to remember that every vehicle has it's compromises. The Passat has unacceptable wind noise. Long rides become exhausting because of the drone. The 2T engine is really loud under aggressive acceleration. The tiring part of the Hyundai is the jitter on less than perfect roads.

I couldn't stand the small back seat in a 5 series BMW. This weekend I carried 5 adults in my Genesis around, and everyone was very comfortable with back seat space. The BMW 5 series back seat is MUCH smaller than that of the Passat's, and doesn't corner better. Go ahead, I'm ready for the ridicule regarding that last comment, but I will stand by it.

The engine smoothness of the Hyundai is fantastic. The silence of ride serene.

I have another post written on Real World Gas mileage, too. The Hyundai has really improved its mileage with time.
    I'm going to assume that sooththetruth has the updated rear suspension. If you still experience the jittery ride on uneven pavement, there might still be room for complaints there. I thought the newer updated rear suspension resolved most issues with the unsettled ride.
  • I have experienced the tilt wheel reset issue and noticed that there is a slight pull to the right when cruising at highway speed. The biggest and most expensive issue for me is this; I took my 2009 v8+tech in this weekend for 4th oil change and what would be the 3rd tire rotation. At 14,522 miles, my right rear tire is bald, my left rear is at 1/32" and both front tires are at or just under 2/32", effectively worn out. Stock tire was dunlop (don't know which model) 235 50R18 V rated, from what I can tell. Called the dealer, and the service department shared a similar story of another owner. I went to Costco for prices, and when the technician took my make and model, he also said that he has already replaced tires on Genesis with similarly low miles. Anyone else have to spend $1000 for tires 9 months into ownership?
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,023
    There is another poster here on Edmunds who after IIRC 17K replaced the tires on his V8. I have the V6 with 17" wheels and have around 11K and they still look ok. The Dunlops are not great wearing tires and this appears pretty normal expecially on the V8s. I wonder if the V8 having the limited slip rear eats up the tires more than the V6?

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

9 months and 20k miles later I had to change mine.It's been a common issue with both V6 and V8
  • rjhillcbytwprjhillcbytwp Posts: 2
    edited May 2010
    After some negotiation with the dealership, I was able to get a bit of relief and had four new tires installed. They split (50%-50%) the cost of a new set of the original tires. It was still fairly pricey, but the savings was worth the trip. I suppose that it never hurts to ask.
  • I didn't look back, but I have not seen this in the 5 months I have followed this forum. there is nothing over the lens, and there is some image, just VERY DARK, and really a non discernible image
  • ergsumergsum Posts: 139
    From your description, are you sure you did not order the rear view camera as part of the Colonoscopy Package :P Sorry, I could not resist the set up.
  • are you sure you did not order the rear view camera as part of the Colonoscopy Package

Wow, I may have checked that box by accident!

Maybe this is a business opportunity.
  • So, I had lost the camera use after washing my car. I looked at the lens, wiped it off, looked to see if something was loose, and found nothing wrong. Yesterday I washed my car again, and the rear view camera worked.

I don't know why this should be, but I suspect I have a loose connection, and will take it to dealer, and then report.
  • bman900bman900 Posts: 55
    There is a post on www.genesisowners.com

"For 2011 Hyundai has reverted back to the 2009 suspension, because no one could tell the difference between 2009 and 2010, and they had a lot of 2009 components left over so they thought they would use them up. "

Can anyone verify this? I am torn between purchasing a leftover 2010 and a new 2011. Some of the dealers have 2011s and from what I can see there are no major changes. I have read other posts claiming minor tweaks to the 2010 suspension, but no major architecture changes in the suspension. Need some input....
    Had same problem thought it was loose connection...took it in on a Tuesday Dealer had to order new camera gave me a loaner new Sonata for the rest of the week picked up my Genesis on Friday pm...worked fine ever since
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,023
    Can anyone verify this?

I read that too and I think that it was a joke. The ride issue is a "hot" topic on that forum. I have a Genesis and don't want to try and sway you either way, but, all I can say is this: if you like a floaty type ride do not buy a Genesis. I came from a Toyota Avalon (06) and am very disappointed in the ride.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• I just test drove the bmw 5 series and audi q5 but finally leased a 2011 genesis 3.8..its truly amazing what this car is!! Its so luxurious- i thought much better than a audi q5 or a BMW 5 series.. ride is a bit on the firmer side but nothing obtrusive. Make sure u drive both 3.8 and 4.6 because their is a major difference in the steering control..

In all a very solid car which delivers where it matters..Luxury does not mean spending money through the roof and I am glad their is a car company which think that way!!
    Congratuations on your new Genesis!
  • The suspension system is bad, very rough ride. Is there a fix for IT??Will Hyundai accept responsibility for fixing the problem??