Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Traverse

Comments

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,176
    Congrats!

Please report on your deal in the Chevrolet Traverse Prices Paid and Buying Experience discussion too.

And if you could set up your CarSpace page, some pics posted in a photo ablum there would be nice to see. /hint :shades:

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Are any of you new owners getting a spare tire? Or is a tire sealant and inflator kit standard? Or does it depend on the trim? Compact spacesaver spare?

It looks like the towing package can be had with a full size spare?

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• thedon22thedon22 Posts: 1
    I test drove a 1LT Traverse last night with the bench 2nd seat and my wife hated the plastic housing along the floor. I realize that this will mostly be covered by the carpeted floor mats, however I was wondering if any owners had problems with stuff falling into the tracks of the 2nd row seats? Also we can't decide b/w the captains chairs and the bench. We had an 04 Tahoe with captains chairs and it made it much easier to get to the 3rd row. Plus you could lay long stuff down b/w the seats instead of putting a seat down or putting it in the back. Thanks!
  • blh7068blh7068 Posts: 376
    "Are any of you new owners getting a spare tire? Or is a tire sealant and inflator kit standard? Or does it depend on the trim? Compact spacesaver spare?"

The kit is standard on the LS- all other trim levels come with a spare as standard, but is optional on the LS.

"It looks like the towing package can be had with a full size spare?"

Without looking, Id guess that to be so. Im a fairly new owner of a 1 LT pkg with backup camera, FWD and didnt need to research that since it wasnt consideration when we purchased.
    "test drove a 1LT Traverse last night with the bench 2nd seat and my wife hated the plastic housing along the floor. I realize that this will mostly be covered by the carpeted floor mats, however I was wondering if any owners had problems with stuff falling into the tracks of the 2nd row seats?"

LOL- its not a problem if you know its going to happen. :) Normally, my wife and I have a no food rule in the car, but we recently took a longer trip so we had to give my 3 and 5 year olds some dry snacks. Sure there were cheerios and pretzels in there, but a more powerful vac like the ones youd fine at a do it yourself vac and wash outfit worked great in cleaning out the tracks as the gaps are wide enough.

"Also we can't decide b/w the captains chairs and the bench. We had an 04 Tahoe with captains chairs and it made it much easier to get to the 3rd row. Plus you could lay long stuff down b/w the seats instead of putting a seat down or putting it in the back. Thanks! "

My wife and I deliberated about that as well. If you dont need the extra people capacity Id og with th e captains chairs. However you need full, gap free space for cargo when the seats are folded down, then Id go with the bench.

FWIW- Id recommend one. Very quiet vehicles, they ride great and are quite powerful(for what they are, anyways).

GL!!
    Thanks. Enjoy the new ride!

• mej1965mej1965 Posts: 6
    I purchased my Traverse in April. Just noticed the paint is starting to peel off the hood and there is discoloration on the sides. It is little light blue spots. Anyone else having paint problems? and I'm not sure what to ask them to do. I don't feel like the dealership repaintin it would be as good as a standard factory paint job. Just looking for advice
    "I don't feel like the dealership repaintin it would be as good as a standard factory paint job. Just looking for advice "

If its the factory paint job IS defective, then how could you conclude a repaint from the dealer ( or elsewhere as not all dealers are equipped to do paint and body) wouldnt be as good?

Anyways, dont let that get in the way of having it repaired/repainted. Any place that knows what they are doing will be able to what is necessary.

Take it to the dealer and show them the problem.

If theyre not equipped to paint, theyll sublet the job.

Good luck.
  • wavehowaveho Posts: 31
    No paint problems here! I would use the bumper to bumper warranty and get it fixed by the dealer if you have an issue. Getting ready to haul the family, with a 5- and 7-year-old, from Virginia to Florida, for the first major trip in the Traverse! Got lots of DVDs and even bought a cheap PlayStation for them to play while we drive.

1,000-mile follow up note: I had an issue with the DVD-based navigation locking up all the time. Brought it to the dealer who ordered updated software and reprogrammed it. No problems still about a month later after the fix! They said this was a common problem with this model nav and had a reprogram just for this purpose.

Did first oil change at the dealer, which cost less than even Jiffy Lube. At the same time they took care of a double-recall: one for parking brake adjustment and one for gear-shift indicator light according to notices I received. Although I had problems with neither, they did their free adjustments. No issues with either, either before or since, so I guess they fixed something!

Still have continued full satisfaction for this car. AWD is great on wet roads--looking forward to winter use. Sound system is the best I've ever had in any car before (premium Bose). Still digging the a/c seats! Will come in handy in Florida I'll bet. I'm getting used to the manual shifter mode for driving in hilly areas; a nice touch. Gas mileage isn't great--a bit lower than advertised on highway, but we always drive with a packed car, so that is not unexpected really.

So far so good!
  • I recently traded my 07 Yukon SLT2 with many Denali options for an 09 Traverse LTZ AWD. I just wanted to let all you potential foreign SUV, CUV,crossover utility vehicle buyers (I tried out most of them from both sides of the oceans) in on a secret. The Traverse hits the mark in every way that I could have ever wanted. Quietness, handling, comfort, gas mileage and towing ability are all superb in my opinion. I recently hauled my 4500 lb boat on a 50 mile round trip to a lake and back and I honestly feel that the Traverse seemed to haul it just as easy as the Yukon and best of all, with a 6 mile per gal. improvement. Prior to my GMC Yukon and now the Chevy Traverse, I was a diehard Toyota owner(4 camrys,2 tundras, a 4Runner and aToyota truck. I still own a Toyota Avalon which has treated me very well. But when it comes to a vehicle to haul the toys(boats,snowmobiles etc), GM wins hands down banrupt or not. I am very impressed so far.

Again, I tried most of the mid sized SUVs and CUVs and the Traverse won me for all the above reasons. It also helped that I had 3 1/2 years of trouble free ownership of the Yukon. The only reason I was looking to buy was to improve fuel economy. So far I am averaging 17.5 with the Traverse, even with hauling the boat,sea doo and utility trailor around. I was averaging 13.8 with the Yukon.

Anyway, I just wanted to add my 2 cents to this very quiet forum for those of you considering this size vehicle. Thumbs up so far :)
  • This is a look a features that are available in different trim levels and a question as to why do GM and other domestic automakers package their features (trim levels) such that price is $$$$, too expensive for a budget conscious comsumer.
  • The base model Travese offers very little in area of features when compared to the Hyundia Santa Fe and Kia Borrega. I have been looking for a domestic SUV/Crossover to replace my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I really liked the Traverse and the Ford Edge. However, after focusing in on the features that were available on the base models I was disappointed to discover that I needed to upgrade to a higher trim level to get something as simple as Sirius satelite radio. Which equals more money! I am value conscious buyer and want the most for my car buying dollar, especially in this economy.

So, I decided to look at the Hyundia Santa Fe and discovered that this vehicle has standard XM satelite radio, wood trim, fog lights (some are charging extra for this), and more. This was a base model that did not look so bas-ic. I was not really keen on buying a Hyundia but GM's decision to not include some of these inexpensive popular features in the base level Traverse caused me to opt for the Santa Fe.

I genuinely wanted to buy an american vehicle but I also wanted to have some extra features for the over $22K that I would have to spend.

I hope GM changes this in the future so they do not lose customers like me. I would like to know if others out there feel the same or have thoughts and opinions about this.
  • The Traverse base model is the lesser equiped of the 4 I believe (Outlook, Acadia, Enclave). Outlook was the lowest before th Traverse came out. It has been a year since I ran the numbers, but at that time if you equiped Outlook, Acadia or Enclave with the same equipment, the pricing was just about the same.

I did a comparison and the Sante Fe is a shorter, narrower vehicle than the Traverse with less towing. MPG is rated about the same even though the Traverse is quite a bit larger and heavier. If you are wanting a better comparison you should probably look at the Hyundai Veracruz. I think it is a more direct comparison with the Traverse. Veracruz is even a little smaller that the Traverse.

Even the Mazda CX-9 which is in the same class is a little smaller. So, do you ever want to carry adults in the 3rd row or just children?

I don't know about the Kia but specs on it show it is smaller as well.
  • Hello - I just had a quote and was wondering if this is a good price. Also, what is estimated motor vehicle expense? Also, does the rebate go on after the tax?

29,941.00 Selling price
    2,095.87 7 % NJ sales tax
    350.00 Estimated Motor Vehicle expense(State imposed)
    148.00 Dealer adminisration fee
    7.50 Tire Tax

- 2,000.00 rebate

NET PRICE : 30,542.37
  • rysterryster Posts: 476
    Both the front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive base Traverse models (LS) come with XM Satellite radio standard.

The base Santa Fe GLS does not have standard fog lights. They are only available on the SE and Limited Santa Fe models. So even Hyundai makes you buy a higher trim level to get fog lights, alloy wheels, and a more powerful V6. Chevy makes you buy up for the fog lights and alloys, but they offer the same 281hp V6 and 6-speed auto in all trims.

You simply cannot compare a Traverse to a Santa Fe. It is in a totally different class and a totally different pricing bracket.
  • rysterryster Posts: 476
    In New Jersey, car dealers are required to assess sales tax on the full purchase price of the vehicle. Therefore the rebate will most likely be applied after tax.

The Estimated Motor Vehicle expense is most likely the State imposed fees to register the vehicle, transfer the tag from the old vehicle, transfer the title to the bank (if applicable), etc. $350 seems high. I would ask them to itemize these expenses. They should not be marking up these State imposed fees.

You don't indicate what the sticker price of the Traverse is, but it would seem that even if it is an LS AWD with no options the $29,941 selling price is a fair deal.
  • I purchased my LTZ AWD Traverse just two weeks ago. I noticed that it has a noisy steering when turning especially to the left.
    Dealer explained that it's because of the weigth of 20" tires.
    Is anyone out there facing the same problem?
  • Does anyone know if the front console cupholders are removable on the 2010 traverse?
  • I have removed mine to wash them. They just snap back in a little hard.

I did recently have an issue just like a blog in the "I hate my Traverse" where I came out of a store and my Traverse would not start. I had to have it towed over 100 miles to my dealership and they can't find anything wrong with it. All the code are fine. I had lights but my engine light was the only thing that worked otherwise. I lost my OnStar and my Phone even though the power lights were on.
  • i just traded in my '10 Terrain for a '10 Traverse. i bought the terrain in November '09. was confused on the awd & engine options. i ended up w/ a 6 cylinder fwd. didnt like it at all in the snow. the dealer couldnt find any awd. so i went & got the Traverse. MUCH better ride, comfortable vehicle. love the touchscreen & sound. few things i missed from the Terrain: usb port, heated seats (cloth), fog lamps & sunroof. payment went up as well!
  • Hi, I just bought a 2010 Traverse. It's a day old, and the amber passenger seat, airbag light stays on at all times. Even if no one is seated, or someone is seated, the amber light stays on. Is this normal? The way I read the manual, it should go out after it does a system check. Anyone help?
  • Does it say passenger air bag off or on? It is normal for it to be lit saying off even if no one is seated. Air bags shouldn't deploy with no one seated there so the light saying OFF will always be lit unless someone is seated there.
  • Thanks for the quick reply. My concern, is the amber light always stays on with someone seated in the passenger seat, and seat belt fasten. The amber light does not go out. I just want to make sure it is normal for the amber light to stay lighted, with the ON symbol lighted, with a passenger in the seat. thanks
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    On my HHR if no one is sitting in it the amber lights says OFF but if someone sets in the seat it says ON, so yes I'm guessing yours too is always on but with a different message.
  • Ok, thank you!
  • blend1blend1 Posts: 13
    I bought a new 2010 Traverse LS AWD. When I start the car at 5 AM in the morning the headlights come on. Does anyone know how to stop it from coming on as I would like to warm up the CUV and not let anyone know that I am not in the CUV? I have a 2004 Impala and I would set the emergency brake and that would shut off the headlights until I depress the emergency brake, unfortunately, this does not happen with the Traverse. Any advise would be appreciated.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    Do you have automatic on headlights that come on when its dark? If so you will have to shut that feature off as they are doing what they are supposed to do.
  • blend1blend1 Posts: 13
    Thanks. I will try and do just that.
  • I just purchased a 2009 LT1 and have 2 questions but can't find the answers in the manual. was hoping someone here can help. First, there is a "+ and -" symbol on the shifter. What do they mean. I keep accidentally pressing them when I shift. Also, I can't figure out how to let my kids listen to the DVD with their wired headphones and the front seat passengers listen to the radio. I can get the radio to come thru their headphones while the movie audio still comes thru the speakers but can't get it to do the opposite. Any help would be great!
  • dboedboe Posts: 69
    edited March 2010
    I've been reading a fair number of Traverse complaints on these forums. But that is true for most cars, a disproportionate number of problems end up on forums, that goes for more than just cars.
    I've been an 'import' guy for sometime. I broke the mold way back in 91 when I bought a Taurus, because I felt buying American was the thing to do, and the model should have matured in 5 years. I guess as it turned out it took another ten years. Besides 2 failed transmissions, and a cylinder head gasket, it was a nice running car when it was up and running, but service across 3 different dealerships was terrible.
    So with Toytoas having problems, Mazda CX-9 has been a strong contender. Not to say it is perfect, but I think a better alternative to the sister cars, the Edge or Linclon MKX . Honda Pilot is a box, but I like their engineering and reliability. But in light of the mediocre performance and economy, the Lambdas seemed worth looking at.
    I wish Ford had something closer to the Traverse. Neither the Escape at the low end or the Explorer at the other end come close. I just don't like the looks of the Flex. But I think Ford has been the most progressive domestic mfr. in terms of quality.
    The big sell with GM has been their styling IMO.
    Anyway, I am still in the evaluation stage, maybe see what I can do about picking up an 2010 when the 11's are ready to come out. I really want the Lambdas to succeed, the concept seems great. It is the long-term I'm concerned about.