Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hybrid Vehicle Maintenance, Repair and Concerns

Comments

• I noticed this comment when looking up battery costs for your car. This remark is under warranty battery replacement procedures: the "you" in this paragraph refers to the dealer:

Out of warranty:
    Any repair performed after warranty expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone Office. You must request consideration, and get a decision, before starting work.
  • annek1annek1 Posts: 4
    Thanks, I just called the dealer and was told that the battery is under a 150,000 warranty, and we are short of that mileage. It has something to do with the fuel efficiency classification: low or high, not sure which.

I had already made the decision not to buy another Honda Hybrid--just wasn't worth the investment at all, and the company should be made to pay for the many problems the first model has had. I had three catalytics installed--they were all free under warranty, but still: three! With the apparent track record of the model, Honda should be forced to make all first major repairs for free, regardless of warranty; or if it was a smart company, it would do that on its own, to rebuild whatever good will it might have had with buyers.

While I'm on the subject of repair costs, why does the a/c compressor cost $1,200 to replace? I can a/c my complete home for that kind of money. Is there something special about the Honda a/c system that makes it such an expense?
  • Well with an AC compressor failure, there is the possibility that the faulty compressor threw debris throughout the entire system. Your home has simple ducting coming from one unit, but a car AC has multiple components, most of which are stashed in impossible to get places. Keep in mind that your car's AC is, relative to the space involved, pretty efficient. You could never cool your home as fast as you can cool your car!

So getting rid of the contaminants in the system might require at least flushing lines and condenser after removing them, and often requires a new dryer, expansion valve, etc. Then there's the "trapping" and evacuation of old freon, adding new freon, testing, lubricating, blah blah.

This is why you see so many used cars for sale with "AC needs a recharge". Of course what that really means is that the seller found out how much it really costs to fix the AC and didn't bother to do it.
  • annek1annek1 Posts: 4
    Oh well, then there is just the matter of the many stories I've heard about the Hybrid a/c system failing--must be our fault ;)
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,719
    "Oh well, then there is just the matter of the many stories I've heard about the Hybrid a/c system failing--must be our fault"

Not near as many failing as in the 2002-2005 CR-V, which has been an epidemic...
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    How about repair shops finally catching up with the hybrid trend:

And Gary thought this would NEVER happen
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,680
    Just don't keep your hybrid past 99,999 miles and you may not be shocked. :sick:

The big cost difference from traditional cars is a high-voltage battery, which is supposed to last for 100,000 miles but costs anywhere from $3,000 to $10,000 when it dies.

That still does not address the biggest cost. Parts are still OEM and expensive compared to 3rd party vendor parts available for most traditional cars.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Apparently you missed the latest announcement 4 or 6 weeks ago. The cost of a replacement battery pack at full retail over the parts counter is $2599 for a Gen2 ( $2289 for a Gen1 ). There are discounts being offered already. Competition is a great concept.

Now only if one were to fail we'd see what the real situation was ( sitting here playing Maytag man waiting for the first failure to occur ).
    I was merely posting what the independent repair shops in Sacramento were claiming the cost of battery replacement. It does not look like Honda hybrid owners are as fortunate. Though I am still more interested in the 10 year battery life. As our 19 year old Lexus has not passed the 100k mile mark yet. And we drive a lot less than we used to. Our year old Sequoia is already past 6k miles. We are tearing up the road with that one. So in 6 more years we will know how the first of the Gen 2 Prius make out battery wise.
  • vap3vap3 Posts: 1
    my prius used to be a taxi, so explains the high use. It was in a minor fender bender, so they sold it to me for cheap! And its been almost 3 years I had the vehicle I put like 20k miles on it myself. Change the fluids and the coolants, and inspect the belt once in awhile, you can't go wrong.

But there are some issues with the current gen prius, but once you got it all up and stable its good to go.
  • Once again Gary (a naysayer) miss quotes info of little or no meaningfull substance. He says..."don't keep a Hybrid after 99,999 miles." Just for the record. There are thousands of hybrids out there in excess of 150,000 miles with solid and reliable service. As to out of date battery info, it speaks volumes to the negitive statements by the same person.Many times "gagrice" has spoken critical of Hybrids (specifically Prius's) and that's fine for testing the waters in the early years b/4 the cars had established a track record that was near impeckable and highly rated by almost every critic under the sun. If the hybrid were unreliable we wouldn't be here todate discussing its' outstanding dependability but alas! It has stood the test of time and critics. I appreciate that there are those who just don't care for the hybrids for their own particular wants and/or needs. That's fine because I would never care to own a variety of "other" vehicles. To each his own. I just want fair and objective scrutiny of the hybrids.
    The jury is still 5 years out on the battery lasting 10 years. The first generation had a battery recall if you remember. Now the current model has just past 5 years on the market. That is only half way to the 10 year warranty on the battery. Mileage is of NO significance for me. Our 19 year old soon to be 20 year old LS400 has never had a major problem. When I see 20 year old Prius running around with no major failures I will be hard pressed to say anything negative about the technology. Though HSD is still not in any vehicle I would own. If they decide to build a Sequoia hybrid that gets 30 MPG highway, I may be compelled to give it a try. So far all the large hybrids have been total FLOPS. I will take a full sized BMW or MB diesel SUV until something better comes along.
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    There are thousands of hybrids out there in excess of 150,000 miles with solid and reliable service.

Can you provide an official source for this statement?
  • I am about 1/2 way into my first tank of gas on my new 2009 Civic Hybrid. The mileage read out is now reading 24.0. So far I have driven mostly city with short (2-4) mile trips and have about 125 miles on the odometer. This number is a long way from the 40 mpg that is on the sticker. Is this normal? Is there a "breaking in" period and should I expect to see my mileage climb significantly over the next few tanks? Or should I be alarmed and contacting my dealership right away? :confuse:
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    With only 125 miles on the car, a service manager might laugh at you if you came in and complained about gas mileage. Give it to at least 1000 miles before you start to worry.
  • Thanks. I had to go to the dealership anyway and the sales manager said it takes about 500 miles to break it in. So I'll monitor. Then he filled up the car for me so I got a half tank of gas for my troubles. That usually doesn't happen :).
  • Don't base your mileage on short trips, that won't work. Engines use more fuel when cold and yours barely has time to warm up. Also, your "final" gas mileage won't lock in for at least 5,000 miles.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    At least he didn't laugh at you.... I wonder if he would have you the gas if prices were still at $4. :P

One suggestion since gas mileage is very important to you. Get a small notebook to keep in your glove compartment to track your gas mileage. It's very simple and will only add 20 seconds to each fill-up. make 5 columns. "Date" in the 1st column, "odometer reading" in 2nd, "Miles" in 3rd (this is the miles traveled since last fill-up; basically the current odometer reading minus the last odometer reading), "gallons" in the 4th and "MPG" in the last column. This will help you keep track of your gas mileage. Also as you put on more miles, it's a good way to check for problems in your car as well as maintenance.

i've done this with my last 4 cars. I know exactly how much gas I am using. I can also tell how cold weather affects my gas mileage. the onboard computer is normally accurate enough but this way you have the exact gas mileage.
  • Thanks. Yes I definitely plan on tracking my mileage that way. My (over?)reaction stems from the fact that acquaintances with Priuses did not start off with such a significant difference in initial mileage. I will be interested to see the pattern once I get through a few tanks.
  • Yeah but they don't drive the same route, times, speeds, etc as you do.