Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota RAV4 Engine Indicator Lights

Comments

• fredy3fredy3 Posts: 27
    I forgot ! it happen to me one time it was my gas cap that was not tight enough...your gas tank is pressurized and it could cause these warning light !
  • 1999 rav4 engine light was on, I disconnected the battery then reconnected --the light stayed off for 4 days then came back on. Can't afford dealer mechs and I would like to know how to replace plugs and wires, if this could be the cause. Also the light went out for about 50 miles (city) on its OWN then came back on.
  • I went to Auto Zone too with a '99 Rav 4 and they said it could be electrical, some air/fuel sensor,faulty NAF/VAF sensor, or vacuum leak---big help?
    Hi ! many things you do ....first, if you really want to know where the problem is located in your engine you must connect an OBD meter . You can buy one if you like but they are expensive or you can find someone who has one. I dont know which way to explain you because I dont konw if you like to play inside your engine yourself or you want someone else to repaired ???? you can pay for a mecanic to have a report on paper and have them to explain you the codes.
    So , when you have a reading of the OBD you tell me and I will guide you. Without that its very difficult to find out the problem. It is a good investment to pay just to have the reading and have them explain you the codes and ask questions..dont take any engagement for repair just ask me or other people what to do after....
    If you smell a very strong taste of gas exaust at the exit of your muffler it is probably a flow sensor that when bad.
    Good luck
  • I recently bought a 2008 certified rav4. Yesterday i noticed few light sensor stayed ON while i turned key on ACC (before starting engine). But when I started the engine, all sensors lit and cleared after few seconds, as normal. My question is: are those sensors supposed to stay lit while the key is on ACC before starting the engine?
    or do i need to have the car checked?
  • Please, make your mechanic check the ABS computer. My RAV4 did the same thing, but the mechanical components were alright. After a while, I almost fell off a cliff because my brakes stopped responding properly. When further checked, my mechanic discovered that the ABS computer was damaged. The part alone costs a whooping $3 thousand bucks, not including labor. So, beware and take precautions. Your life may be endangered.
    hi ! it is normal that some warning lights are lit when the key is position to ACC and engine is OFF. After you start the engine all warning lights should goes OFF.
  • Hello...I have a 2009 rav4. I went to get a car wash today and after I was done, my malfunction indicator light, my slip indicator light and my cruise control light flashes. Is there any way the car wash set these warnings off? There are no noises or vibrations in the car
    Hi ! if you went to the car wash you may went fo refuelling your car today ?

if you added some gasoline in your car today you may didnt squeeze enought your gascap !!!!! if you re tighted your gascap and make sure the gas cap is correctly in position and drive a couple kilometers you may see all warning light goes off !!! if not let me know !!
  • greg215greg215 Posts: 1
    The other day it was raining and I went to back up another car was coming so I slammed on the brakes. Then my engine light started to flash, VSC and 4WD lights came on. I had it towed to our mechanic just waiting on the test to come back now!
  • taccounttaccount Posts: 1
    Hey, what turned out to be the problem? I have the same lights on. Please respond as soon as you can. Thanks!
  • stacey33stacey33 Posts: 1
    hi, need some advice. I have a 2003 2.0L turbo diesel. When accelerating, a couple of times the car has felt like it has held back and engine light has come on. On the last two occasions it has lost power and any acceleration. The car has then driven fine with the engine light still on on another day prior to getting it checked out. I have taken the car to toyota garage x 2 who ran a diagnostic check and couldn't find a fault. They have mentioned that if it keeps happening it could be the turbo but may not be!! Can anyone help me with some advice?
    If the toyota garage ran a diagnostic check, that means they erased the code and the code never came back. So first if the light come back they should not charge you any fees the recheck again. Second I hope they record the old error code and then they can compare and see if is the same code. If is the same they have to give you a better view of what is the problem and I much it cost to repaire. Also they may not give you the exact parts to replaced, sometime they replaced an all macanic assembly to make sure it will fix the problem but you should all take notes of what the dealer tell you to replaced and ask other toyota dealers what they suggest you to replaced. One more think ! you need to record the error code number to ask other toyota dealer...take your time to managed all this ...good lock ! :)
  • awatchawatch Posts: 1
    Our 2009 TR4 car is currently with the dealer for the same lights coming on problem (check engine, vsc trac and the trac off light). The dealer (wants $285 to fix ) claims a rodent chewed through the wire and that's what's causing the issue. I plan to ask for the diagnostic code and about the gas cap etc. since I've read this forum. Apparrently, the auto industry is using soy based products in the wiring and it's a big issue because they claim it's an insurance, not warranty, issue. any comments out there?
    edited July 2011
    Hi ! I've never heard about "rodent chewed through the wire " the auto industry is using soy based products in the wiring" never heard about that ..

I believe it could be a delicious for some ones ... I think toyota is not responsible for that and you may have to pay for that ... maybe you can spray some "dielectric grease product" on the wiring, they will not be attracted by the taste and smell ...
    good luck
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,910
    edited July 2011
    Never heard the soy based claim, but there are links about it on the net. But critters have been nesting in cars for years, especially ones parked outdoors most of their life. My sister had about $2,000 in damage to her '05 Subaru last year from some rodent chewing on her wiring. She made a claim on her insurance and they covered it.

Saw this a few years back at a Sierra trailhead where critters were damaging cars. Chicken wire fencing on the left, but I thought driving over a big tarp and then tying it up was clever.

Thanks for the pictures I really like it... first time a saw that...loll
    Today , my toyota Rav4 2007 would not start. Battery seems dead so I pull de booster cables out and a good gentleman had boost my car and start up the engine. I was going to drive 200KM to go home it was about 17h00. After start up the engine I felt the steering becomes really hard to turn on and off like that and then it was fine. Then my dash odometer lignt was fliquering all the time than I decide to find a garage. At the garage they didnt have any mecanic guys but one guys was available to install a new battery. So they could not tell me if the battery was the problem but I figure out after 4 years and 146000KM and a lot of starting engines and strong winter here in canada !! I got lucky it was the battery...Yeeeeh I am at home right now and my car is sleeping well ! :shades:
  • stew16stew16 Posts: 17
    Is any Rav-4 owners having issues with the start/stop button failing to start the car when pressed and your foot is on the brake? My start/stop button is beginning to have more problems, I push the button and nothing happens, I have to wait a few minutes before trying to start the car again of course the dealership can't replicate the problem, what else is new? This is the same button I'm supposed to use should the car began to accelerate, hopes it works better than it has when its been sitting still, what concerns me the most that the problem is quickly becoming a safety issue. :lemon:
  • My front passenger airbag light on my 08 Rav4 LTD started coming on and staying on sometimes. Anyone experiencing this problem??