Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic

jilldjilld Posts: 5
edited March 14 in Honda
Around for 20 years, the Civic is the best selling hatchback of all
time.

What do you think of yours? Or are you considering buying one?

Tell us what you think!

Comments

• I have a '93 Civic CX hatchback - the car is really great! Very reliable! It has 125,000 miles so far (most highway) and no problems!

When I first got Homer the Honda, the only maintenence I knew how to do myself was change the oil - over the years, I have greatly improved (with the help of some books and my brother-in-law). Some of the more advanced jobs I have undertaken: changed the timing belt and water pump, the "B" pipe (part of the exhaust system), flushed the brake fluid - and of course, also changed spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor, alternator belt, fuel filter, engine coolant, air filter, headlights, ...

I am no true mechanic - If I can learn to do these things, so can you.
  • I got a 1886 honda civic. Now it has 167000 miles on it, still runs great.
  • Better keep that car, it's already a collector's item! :)
  • zedorzedor Posts: 3
    Its a good car but lacking in power and options
  • rwongrwong Posts: 2
    We purchased a 1996 CX hatchback. It is rock solid, sticks to the road like glue, and has great gas mileage to boot!
  • pbarkpbark Posts: 1
    My new Honda Civic had been plagued with noise problems. The car makes more rattles than my friend's Saturn for starters. Under hard breaking, the car will make craking sounds which send shivers up my spine. The heater also comtributes to the cars horendous symphony of noise. It will make jingling noises whenever the car is in cold weather with its heater on. Those of you thinking about buying a Civic hatchback should seriously reconsider. Personally I would buy the new Saturn coupe rather than this overpriced Japanese Jingler.
  • rwongrwong Posts: 2
    To pbark..... I am not sure what the problem is with you Civic? Our 1997 hatchback is dead quite on the road. The build quality is much better than
    any of the other cars we looked at Neon, Tercel...
    And no I don't work for or sell Honda's. I would buy another one of these in a minute! The gas mileage is amazing considering the power in the 5 speed.
  • abbaabba Posts: 17
    I have owned 2 civic hatchbacks. Both have been
    reliable, economical, and fun to drive. The new
    civic hatchbacks (1996-present) lack the sporty
    handling of the older ones.
  • leifleif Posts: 41
    I bought a Civic DX in 1985 for $6700, and my sister still drives it--270,000 miles on the car! Just one clutch and the engine has never been opened deeper than the valve-cover gasket.
    How much more can you love that?
  • I hear this again and again: happy Honda Civic owners! I'm a happy Volkswagon Golf owner, but you guys are making me think I might want to think again!
  • mznmzn Posts: 727
    Right. Leif's got a 1986 CRX si with a wishbone break and he wants to know if it is worth salvaging the engine to put in his sister's 1985 Civic which is tooling along at over 270,000 miles.

Here's a couple things to check: Was there a major model change between 1985 & 86? If so, that might make this more difficult. Next, check the wiring harnesses in both cars to make sure they are alike (or at least similar). If not, hmmmm, might be a no go.

What do you think, folks? Can this puppy be saved?
    Has anyone tried this at home?
  • Hi folks!

I'm thinking of buying a used 1995 Honda Civic 3 door hatchback. This is my first car and I need something that's inexpensive, easy to maintain, reliable, and has a long life. Do any of you know how much mileage a Honda hatchback can have? Is it reliable? How long can it last? How many miles can one gallon of gas take you? Are there any drawbacks? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Welcome! We're glad you found us. If you haven't already, you may want to take a look at our on-site information for that model and year.

We own a '91 Honda CRX and it has way more than 100,000 miles and we get 40 miles per gallon. It has been a good car for us.

Calling all lurkers... What has your experience been?
    bubbles--you couldn't make a more intelligent choice for economical reliable transportation, see my previous post regarding 270,000 miles! HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY :-)
  • Thanks to Carlady and Leif for responding so quickly. I took the hatchback out for a test drive today. Everything seemed to work ok--however, there's one thing that I'm really worried about. There seemed to be this strange smell that was coming from the driver's side. It smelled like gas but I'm not sure since this is my first car and I'm not sure what's normal or not. But there was some strange fuel odor that would come and go. The odor was there whether or not the heater or A/C was turned on. Do any of you know what this could be? Is it serious? Is this a potential problem waiting to happen? Should I stop thinking about buying this particular car? The car has about 28,000 miles on it. None of the warning signals came on because of the smell. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!!
    I'd get it checked. (I've often regretted not having a car checked by a mechanic before I bought it. Costs a lot less than the trouble it saves.) In any event if it is a leak or something I'm sure it is repairable. Are you buying it from a dealership and getting a warranty? Good luck!
  • Hi!!

My hatchback didn't work out. Now I'm thinking about buying a 1994 Civic with 49K miles. It's going for $8,990. Is 49K too much mileage for a first car that I intend to keep for a very, very long time? I've read all your above testimonials about Honda's lasting for 150-270K, but is this the norm for all Hondas? How much can I bargain the price down to?
    Hmmm, too bad about the hatchback...

As for purchasing a used car, Bubbles, there is plenty of information on the site to help you. Start by looking at the info on the model which interests you, in this case a 1994 Honda Civic. You'll find pricing information which will help you calculate a fair price. It takes mileage and features into consideration which will help make your price more accurate.

To arm you with the best information about how to make your purchase, take a look at our Buyers Advice area.

Then come back and let us know what you think!
  • cashcash Posts: 1
    why is honda's rust warranty so lacking. all the other car companies, at least many, offer 6-year performation. honda's only 3. why? what's the deal with honda metal that honda cant warranty it longer. no one's come up with a satisfactory answer for me yet.
    We're not really having a contest for longest post, investor, but I'd say you have surpassed even the prolific bnormann. ;-)

I love your description of yourself as a "spirited driver," and I'm happy to know you've been saved by your nimble Honda! It's great to hear from a man who loves his car!
This discussion has been closed.