Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Touring 2009 -

Comments

• tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,350
    I've been looking into this car, and have read a lot of reviews about it. This is the first mention I've heard of a different steering rack and spring rates for the ET SE. Where did you track down the info? I'd like to read more about it...
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,341
    edited May 2010
    The steering is a bit numb on the GLS as reported by auto magazines. But that is not all bad. Although the steering is speed sensitive, I cannot tell the difference from the parking lot to the highway. The steering remains "stiff" compared to the Toyota steering on my Vibe. Although I like the Vibe's steering better than the ET, you don't have to worry about drifting out of your lane with the ET. Again, if the ET had two more inches of travel in the driver's seat, I'd be dumping my Vibe today for another ET. It is a super car. Go Hyundai, go!
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    Really got to dig to find it. If you can find a credit union online that subscribes to Webcarbook (and you won't need to be a member to use it) they have a typical "build what you want" utility that also gives a ton of detail on the specs of the cars. That is one place where you will see the steering ratio difference. The springs are even trickier. Hyundai part book. You can't just look up the springs in an aftermarket catalog because they do not go that specific. Just like looking up shocks for a car with and without a sports suspension, many times aftermarket will only show one application.

Try a seat of the pants comparison. On a smooth, wavy roadway you can really feel it. The vehicle adapts more quickly to the irregularities.

As I said earlier, if you like really tight responsive handling more that softer ride, go with the SE. If you prefer the smoother ride, the GLS.
    edited May 2010
    I'm amazed that I have had to exhaust so much energy to find the correct oil filter wrench cup for the 2010 ET OEM oil filter. My dealer won't provide me the information, and when I take an ET oil filter to different parts stores, none carry the right one. Anyone have advice on how to find the correct size wrench cup?
    It is an oddball. I gave up and started using the metal strap style. Works very well, and there is pleny of room to use it.

I have three different cup style sockets, and you are right, none of them fit.
  • crowheartcrowheart Posts: 36
    I recently purchased a 2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLS with the popular pkg. I was wondering if anyone has taken these cars on back roads (non-pavement) gravel or dirt ,and how does the car hold up on these kinds of roads? I have the 15 inch tires as well. Also I was wondering about the mud flaps, are they easy to install? Does anyone know what the dealership charges to install the mud flaps?
    Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks...
    The GLS shouldn't be too rough with the larger tire/wheel ratio. Like many things, this is open to personal definition of "rough road" and "acceptable noise and vibration". The vehicles are well put together, so I wouldn't expect them to do any worse than others.

As I recall, the holes are already there to attach the mudflaps, but in all honesty I would need to confirm that when I leave work. If you buy the mudflaps through the dealer you bought the car from, you might be able to get a "good customer" deal on the install.
  • misterbillmisterbill Posts: 60
    >

So I am now about a week and a half past 4 months and it's still working. Every day I turn it on expecting it not to work and it keeps working. Not that I am complaining, of course.
    oh it will stop. both XM and OnStar run for a few weeks past their end point and then stop.
    oh it will stop. both XM and OnStar run for a few weeks past their end point and then stop.
  • eba55eba55 Posts: 20
    thanks for the info about pushing the arrow on the steering wheel to scan. If you hold the "mode" button down it turns the radio off, just as good as a mute button. :)
  • polyplypolyply Posts: 4
    Well, I stopped by the dealer to see what they might say and got a bit of a run-around; wanted me to determine [i]exactly[i] when it pings and then try using high octane fuel. After that he would make an appointment.

So...

93 octane from BP seems to have eliminated the knocking, not that it makes me feel any better. I've got a better idea as to when it knocks, though its not a very specific behavior. Accelerating with the rpms around 1750 will do it though I swear I hear it much higher than that too.

I'll check back after I go to the dealer again...
    edited June 2010
    I discovered that the bottom of my center divider has a false bottom (where you plug in iPod) . There is only a sheet of some flimsy material that covers the bottom of the divider. This cover will not prevent items from falling into the bottomless hole. Is this normal? Or did someone on the assembly line fail to add a solid bottom part here? Any knowledge about this would be highly appreciated.

Thanks...
    Mine has a panel there, but the bottles of juice I carry in there don't seem to cause a problem. It may be that is the access to the rear console mounting bracket?
    I believe you are right. The only reason I noticed it was the panel for some reason had moved and I had to put it back in place. Since I have put it back it seems like it will hold up.
  • strei007strei007 Posts: 16
    Update. Got 3000 miles now. The rough ride is better. The shocks and springs must have broken in alittle. I'm getting use to it. My wife isn't getting car sick either. I'm very happy with everything now. I watch my gas mileage very closely. I just got 38mpg this tank. The driving is back and forth to work on freeway and running errends but I like quick starts. Not too shabby for an EPA rating of only 31 HWY. I used it to tow my 700 lbs boat. It worked great. Hardly knew I was towing. Gas mileage with tail wind was 28 mgp and only 20 mpg with strong head wind and AC on.
    A few tips
    I added valve stem extenders on tires for $1.
    I'm using the lid of the CD storage compartment (just in front of shifter) to mount my Garmin GPS. Work perfect there. I can release the suction mount and throw the whole works into that compartment and shut the lid. No one is the wiser.
    I have been getting really good city MPG(28) with the Touring so far, I drive very sensibly though.
    You know what? Funny you should mention valve stem extenders, I checked the air on my tires today and had a hard time getting an accurate read because of the way the stems are positioned with the wheel cover.
    I think I will look into getting valve stem extenders as well. I have never heard of them before, but this car really needs them. Send a suggestion to Hyundai.
  • I see a lot of people mentioning the GLS with the preferred package #2, can someone explain that? I've only seen the "popular package" and only on the AT, is there anything I can add to the manual?

Thanks,
    Tim
    As far as I know there isn't any options available with the Base GLS Manual Touring.
    I have the GLS Auto with the Popular Pkg 2 which adds a lot of nice extras, it is well worth it IMO. The Popular Pkg 2 adds roof side rails, fog lights, telescopic steering wheel w/audio controls, trip computer, illuminated ignition, premium cloth interior w/cloth door trim, driver seat height & lumbar adjustment, sliding sun visors w/dual illuminated vanity mirrors, front setback pockets, cooled glove box, and retractable cargo cover .
    The Base GLS Manual doesn't have cruise control either as far as I know. I would opt for the Auto with the extras. Good Luck...
  • goosey1goosey1 Posts: 2
    edited June 2010
    I have a 2010 ET with auto. I noticed that when braking, I feel the transmission gearing down. I have never felt this in any other car. It's almost like gearing down in a manual. Is this normal for a Hyundai automatic? It's a weird sensation when braking.